Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for game with skilled players

grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

Im looking for a game that still has a good population size, that is more of a traditonal mmo, along the lines of eq, daoc, vanguard, etc etc. I am not looking for a game that is very similar to wow.

Let me explain my current problem. I have been playing ffxiv and to be honest its not in a state where i can be happy in. Its basically repeat the same 3 dungeons over and over and over every week. with the longest taking about 2 hours with a good group. There is also no more traditional leveling in the game, where you make a group, and just go to different camps and grind monsters. But thats not the worst part..

YOUTUBE and BAD PLAYERS! Everyone expects you to have seen a video posted by some elite guild for EVERY FIGHT!! No one wants to try different strats, no one wants to see how they can do it themselves, no one wants to experiment. If the group in the video did something with a specific setup, IT MUST BE DONE WITH THAT SETUP, or at least this is what they think. This is where my frustration kicks in.

I am looking for a game that still feels like how old school mmo's did, great community, nice population, and nice difficulty. Looking for a game where people wont yell at you to go watch youtube videos of stuff, but will actually interact with you and try to walk you through things, or explain their own strats. PvP is a plus, but i wont complain about it. Any suggestions?

p.s Sorry if this sounds like a rant. I really do need a good game though while im waiting for some of the newer mmo's to come out. I am currently living in south korea, so my play times might be off, but not important. 

Comments

• AtlysAtlys Member Posts: 69

I'm not really sure if any games exist like that any more. With guides and videos plentiful on the internet, every game will have groups of people who have to do run a certain way. I'm surprised FFXIV is already like that, since it is such a new game.

You said you didn't want a wow-like game, and to be honest I tend to avoid dungeons and raids, but RIFT was probably the only game I was comfortable running dungeons in (well, and WoW). I think the players are more flexible when it comes to runs, at least when I was running. They were very nice too, even when I caused a wipe (It only happened one time, it was my first time healing, and I was woefully under-geared). I don't know if I'm the best judge of content like that though, as I'm a pretty casual player, and prefer solo play.

Anyway I wish you luck on your search, and sorry if I couldn't help.

On the eternal quest for that one perfect MMO.

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Originally posted by Atlys

I'm not really sure if any games exist like that any more. With guides and videos plentiful on the internet, every game will have groups of people who have to do run a certain way. I'm surprised FFXIV is already like that, since it is such a new game.

You said you didn't want a wow-like game, and to be honest I tend to avoid dungeons and raids, but RIFT was probably the only game I was comfortable running dungeons in (well, and WoW). I think the players are more flexible when it comes to runs, at least when I was running. They were very nice too, even when I caused a wipe (It only happened one time, it was my first time healing, and I was woefully under-geared). I don't know if I'm the best judge of content like that though, as I'm a pretty casual player, and prefer solo play.

Anyway I wish you luck on your search, and sorry if I couldn't help.

I appreciate you responding. I dont mind that there are guides and videos. They are nice sometimes. I just dont like that people force you to watch them. And yes, FFXIV is like that already. The game has that "its done like this, or its not done at all feel".

I do love dungeons and raids. I miss them sooo much. I did play rift, but for some reason it couldnt stick with me like other games.

However, i will relook at rift to see if i can get a feel for it. 

Any other suggestions? or should i just play rpgs till the games i want come out?

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

im sorry but what u are looking for , doesnt exist anymore....

ppl treat dungeons as final exams , study for days before even touching it....is just sad but oh well..

the best way to experience that is a fresh game , and going with the wave of ppl leveling , thats what i did in FFXIV too , and enjoyed every dungeon until max lvl , everything was new, we figured out what the boss abilities did ect...was fun...