Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trick Dempsey - Defiance Creative Lead - AMA

Hey folks! I’m Trick Dempsey, the creative lead for Defiance. Our Arkbreaker DLC is coming out in just a few days on December 10th, and I’m here to answer your questions about Arkbreaker, Defiance, and the wild world that is video game development.

A bit about me: You may have heard of some of the previous games I worked on while I was at Rockstar San Diego: Red Dead Redemption, Undead Nightmare, and Max Payne 3. Prior to that I worked on titles for Ignition Entertainment and Gearbox Software. I had a weird path getting to the games industry. I’ve been a stuntman, a set designer, a production assistant, and even a costumer. There’s a lot of film and theatre in my background. So, if you linger in obscurity with a liberal arts degree, I can feel your pain. Oh! For people who keep track of folk from the gaming schools: I am  graduate of the Guildhall at SMU, which is a fine and difficult program to survive.

Defiance has been an interesting project to work on the past few years, and it is one of my favorites.

For some context, check out the blog posts and announcements surrounding Arkbreaker –

Arkbreaker Features: http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/11/21/arkbreaker-dlc-lands-dec-10/

Summoning Arkfalls: http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/12/03/arkbreaker-spotlight-summoning-arkfalls/

Evolution of Coop: http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/11/27/the-evolution-of-co-op-in-defiance/

So post your questions and I will answer them here over the next few hours.

Comments

• mr8linermr8liner Member Posts: 2
    What are you guys doing for the players that have hit ego 5000?  There isn't any game interaction when you are at 5000 or when you have got all of your perks.  Is there going to be anything special for the players that are ego 4800+??
  • LordservoLordservo Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Aside from just improving the game, are there any measures being taken to increase player retention and/or try to bring players who have left back into the fold?  I started playing in the beta phase, was invited to be an alpha tester, and continued with the game from there.  I have a friend list  now where 90% of the people have not played the game in several months.  Many of them used to login almost daily for several months in the beginning.  Now I can count on one hand (with fingers leftover) the number of friends from the early days that still play on a semi-regular basis.  I like the game and it is getting better, but I worry the show will outlast the game.
  • Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

Thank you for the AMA. I want to say that defiance has the potential to be a great game. I would like to explain why I stopped playing and maybe you can answer if any of those reasons are going to be addressed.

1. I played on ps3. As an mmo, it lacked socialization on every aspect. From chat interface, to having a social hub etc.. I know there are limitation on console but does this dlc or any planned ones attempt to bring some life into the massive online aspect of the defiance mmorpg.

2. I am an avid pvper and , defiance seems like it has huge potential for pvp but the flip side there is hardly any direction in pvp. 

3. Lastly and ultimately the reason why i stopped was character progression. It appears that trion wanted to have the borderlands loot feel to the game, but didn't realize that borderlands is not an mmo. There doesn't feel like any type of foothold your character has on the world. It ultimately felt to me, that i was logging in to look for a gun, to shoot the same red crystal.

Granted i quit before the casthian charge pack, but after spending 50 on a game that went down to 10 bucks the following week, im a little gunshy to spend on a game that i was relatively uninterested in shortly after buying.

again, thank you for taking the time to do this AMA

• treyu86treyu86 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Any intention on improving graphics, at least for PC players? I understand Defiance was released for consoles too so some graphic quality had to be lowered overall (although if you look at games like Final Fantasy XIV this shouldn't be the case but well), but now with the new generation consoles,graphics should be improved, or at least give an option to increase them for PC players. Any intention to do this? One of the main reasons for many people around me to not play is how awful some textures and overall graphics are now. Thanks for answering.
  • LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Demmi77

Thank you for the AMA. I want to say that defiance has the potential to be a great game. I would like to explain why I stopped playing and maybe you can answer if any of those reasons are going to be addressed.

1. I played on ps3. As an mmo, it lacked socialization on every aspect. From chat interface, to having a social hub etc.. I know there are limitation on console but does this dlc or any planned ones attempt to bring some life into the massive online aspect of the defiance mmorpg.

2. I am an avid pvper and , defiance seems like it has huge potential for pvp but the flip side there is hardly any direction in pvp. 

3. Lastly and ultimately the reason why i stopped was character progression. It appears that trion wanted to have the borderlands loot feel to the game, but didn't realize that borderlands is not an mmo. There doesn't feel like any type of foothold your character has on the world. It ultimately felt to me, that i was logging in to look for a gun, to shoot the same red crystal.

Granted i quit before the casthian charge pack, but after spending 50 on a game that went down to 10 bucks the following week, im a little gunshy to spend on a game that i was relatively uninterested in shortly after buying.

Yes, 1 and 3 of the above I would like to know.  With regard to 1, I am a PC player and still the social experience is lacking.  

• McSpiffyMcSpiffy Member Posts: 1
    What ever happened to the mounted gun on the vehicle you got in the first dlc? Why was it never put into the game?
  • TrickDempseyTrionTrickDempseyTrion Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by mr8liner
    What are you guys doing for the players that have hit ego 5000?  There isn't any game interaction when you are at 5000 or when you have got all of your perks.  Is there going to be anything special for the players that are ego 4800+??

We do intend to open that up and expand the chase both by expanding the EGO grid itself and by creating new and interesting chases independent of EGO rating itself. Some of that will be in the form of a better faction chase, some in the form of newer, better gear. We've got a lot to work with, and we're looking forward to using all of it.

Originally posted by Lordservo
    Aside from just improving the game, are there any measures being taken to increase player retention and/or try to bring players who have left back into the fold?  I started playing in the beta phase, was invited to be an alpha tester, and continued with the game from there.  I have a friend list  now where 90% of the people have not played the game in several months.  Many of them used to login almost daily for several months in the beginning.  Now I can count on one hand (with fingers leftover) the number of friends from the early days that still play on a semi-regular basis.  I like the game and it is getting better, but I worry the show will outlast the game.

Some of our retention plans come from some obvious systemic updates. Our clan progression track in Arkbreaker adds a lot of chase for people to be involved in a community-focused progression track.

We're also adding in daily and weekly login bonuses as well as improvements in the contract system to make that chase more clear. We've got a few more tricks up our sleeves in that regards as well.

Also, we're accelerating our release schedule for updates to get more exciting content out to our ark hunters more quickly. It's hard to quantify, but a live game is a conversation with our players and creating a universe which they want to visit again and again.

Originally posted by Demmi77

Just for fun, I'll address these in reverse order. 

We're doing a lot to address progression in the game. The joke has been to simply unleash the battlecry: "MAKE THE NUMBERS GO UP!" It's the most basic drive of any MMO, and the numbers don't really go up in the current Defiance progression. So we're putting in a lot of systems to create a better loot chase, but also a better power chase. I can talk more at length about progression, it's the biggest project we have going right now, but the big news is that we are definitely addressing it.

PvP is an interesting beast in Defiance. I'm a big fan of Shadow War and of the Freight Yard map, and I love the strategic possibilities that the spikes and stims add to those battles. The Echelon contracts were meant to drive a lot of the PvP activity, but they just were not well communicated enough or rewarded well enough. Something we plan on doing is addressing both those issues.

We've got a lot of social updates coming. Some of that is clan work, but more importantly is making chat more reliable and more clear. They're coming slowly, to be sure, but communication is such an important part of an MMO that we're not going to let that aspect lay fallow.

Originally posted by treyu86
    Any intention on improving graphics, at least for PC players? I understand Defiance was released for consoles too so some graphic quality had to be lowered overall (although if you look at games like Final Fantasy XIV this shouldn't be the case but well), but now with the new generation consoles,graphics should be improved, or at least give an option to increase them for PC players. Any intention to do this? One of the main reasons for many people around me to not play is how awful some textures and overall graphics are now. Thanks for answering.

So, we are looking at doing that. Right now, players load a higher resolution texture and model when they enter into a cinematic. Those assets exist, but they are not loaded during gameplay. We're looking to add some knobs to let PC players access those and use them in the normal gameplay. 

Originally posted by McSpiffy
    What ever happened to the mounted gun on the vehicle you got in the first dlc? Why was it never put into the game?

It was never put into the game. The hope was to let the players in the seat be able to shoot their own guns, but a few technical issues kept that from becoming a reality. Some of those issues will be cleared by development in other parts of the game, and, moving forward, I hope to allow the riders to shoot from the raptor at the very least. Sadly, I can't say when we'd be able to get to that.

• mattweaver2000mattweaver2000 Member Posts: 3
    Will new Perks be added in the future? After maxing out all 80 perks, experience becomes irrelevant. If no new Perks are going to be added, maybe experience can be substituted with scrip?  I have been playing Defiance since April and I plan on continuing to play for better or for worse. I don't mind spending money on the game due to the limitless potential that it holds.  I look forward to the second DLC pack coming out next week, it is always nice to have new material.  Also, I take it that having the ability to cast spells will never transpire?  Just curious. 
  • TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286
    Yes i  was a betta tester in all fazes of the betta  when released i did not get it  i picked it up on black monday and decided to give it a go again  but lost quick interest  do to the fact there was no mmo community feel people would  not respond in chat at all i felt lost and alone in the world   i find someone say hi  they run around not responding at all  i lost interest to put as much time into this game than i did in the betta.  the  to things i look for in a game are PVP  and community  i have yet to PVP in this tittle do to the fact it  seems to be a gear  based game and a lowbee  has to have good damn gear to compete with long turm players so i do my pvp on battlefield and i hope you all do some thing to creat a more  indepth community  let me feal like im in a wasteland and that i need my fellow players and can chat to them easily  half the time i dont even see the chat texts thxs for your time  and i do nothave cable  i dont watch a lot of tv the internet is my source is there   places i can watch the episodes i have missed online or do i have to buy everything? 
  • Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

Thank you for the replies. I still follow the game, and I may check back in after this DLC. 

Good luck and remember, despite the negativity... most of us complain because we want DEFIANCE to be great.

Originally posted by mattweaver2000
    Will new Perks be added in the future? After maxing out all 80 perks, experience becomes irrelevant. If no new Perks are going to be added, maybe experience can be substituted with scrip?  I have been playing Defiance since April and I plan on continuing to play for better or for worse. I don't mind spending money on the game due to the limitless potential that it holds.  I look forward to the second DLC pack coming out next week, it is always nice to have new material.  Also, I take it that having the ability to cast spells will never transpire?  Just curious. 

We are going to expand the EGO grid. I touched on this a bit before, but I can hit a bit more detail now.

My main goal with creating new EGO grid expansions is to make perks which can compete with the big heavy hitters in the perks: preparedness and thick skinned, for example. Expanding the grid just to expand it is tempting, but it's also lazy. The new perks need to be exciting enough that you could make loadouts without a single perk in common. We've got some nice things in store for our good friend EGO.

Spells!?! "Nanites", thank you. So the funny thing is that a lot of our enemies and bosses have abilities not far from magic. I definitely want to provide players flashier and more exciting powers. Right now, it's a push for story content and progression, but once those are secure, expanding the power base, either from new EGO powers or from crazy spikes and stims, is definitely on the TODO list.

• mattweaver2000mattweaver2000 Member Posts: 3
    Was wondering what part of the second DLC pack will be free and available to everyone compared to what is only available to the people who purchase the DLC pack?
  • RisiRisi Member Posts: 3
    Hiya! Big Defiance fan, been playing since I got a Beta 3 invite. My question is really weird, but who voiced Rynn in the game? It wasn't Tiio Horn. Why wasn't it Tiio?
    Originally posted by Tatercake
    Yes i  was a betta tester in all fazes of the betta  when released i did not get it  i picked it up on black monday and decided to give it a go again  but lost quick interest  do to the fact there was no mmo community feel people would  not respond in chat at all i felt lost and alone in the world   i find someone say hi  they run around not responding at all  i lost interest to put as much time into this game than i did in the betta.  the  to things i look for in a game are PVP  and community  i have yet to PVP in this tittle do to the fact it  seems to be a gear  based game and a lowbee  has to have good damn gear to compete with long turm players so i do my pvp on battlefield and i hope you all do some thing to creat a more  indepth community  let me feal like im in a wasteland and that i need my fellow players and can chat to them easily  half the time i dont even see the chat texts thxs for your time  and i do nothave cable  i dont watch a lot of tv the internet is my source is there   places i can watch the episodes i have missed online or do i have to buy everything? 

That's a lot to respond to, so I'll try to hit them all.

We've talked a bit about the social issues already, but you bring up an interesting point about PvP that our current progression actually handles rather well and is something we are working to preserve with upcoming updates. The barrier to entry in PvP is actually quite low. There are some folks on this forum and others who have already figured out the baseline PvP build where you can be instantly effective. It takes surprisingly few perks and only a good Ironclad shield to really make you able to stand up in a fight. The power curve is really very small presently, and even at max EGO rating a sawed-off shotgun at point blank will drop you like a bad habit. So, lowbies can't dominate a match, but they certainly are not powerless.

As for watching the episodes. They should be available on Hulu online. We'll also be reactivating the episodic content in game in the near future so that you can catch up on that as well.

Originally posted by mattweaver2000
    Was wondering what part of the second DLC pack will be free and available to everyone compared to what is only available to the people who purchase the DLC pack?

There are a lot of new features, so I may forget some from this list. But... here goes.

Paid:

• The Arkbreaker mission line
    • The Combat Tech side missions
    • The power to call down Arkbreaks using the Ark Spike earned in the mission line.
    • Additional rewards in every daily and weekly reward. (Spikes, stims, grenades, and ark spike batteries.)
    • A whole slew of new and updated weapons, 25-28 in total (I can't remember which ones made the cut, sadly.) 
    • New pursuits and achievements.
    Free:
    • Co-op versions of the storyline maps.
    • Fully coop main storyline (No more shuffling you out of your group.)
    • Spike, stims, and consumable grenades.
    • Clan progression
    • Entering arkbreaks called down by other players.

Originally posted by Risi
    Hiya! Big Defiance fan, been playing since I got a Beta 3 invite. My question is really weird, but who voiced Rynn in the game? It wasn't Tiio Horn. Why wasn't it Tiio?

I love the voice cast we pulled together for the game, and they are all incredible actors. Unfortunately, for Byzantine contractual reasons, I cannot discuss their identities. It's maddening in the extreme, let me tell you.

Originally posted by TrickDempseyTrion

Originally posted by Risi

I love the voice cast we pulled together for the game, and they are all incredible actors. Unfortunately, for Byzantine contractual reasons, I cannot discuss their identities. It's maddening in the extreme, let me tell you.

But why wasn't it Tiio? I mean, I know for a fact it wasn't her (she told me) and she's done voice work before (Assassin's Creed 3) and even she doesn't have an answer for why Game-Rynn is voiced by some unknown entity who sounds very Russian.

• KaizermosKaizermos Member UncommonPosts: 5

Hello Trick,

Just want to start with saying thanks for doing this.  On to the questions!

1.  Will this next patch bring an end to everyone looking the same while the game loads?  I've seen in a screenshot from the test server this is a new setting called "prox memory" or something like that.  Will that make it so we don't have this problem again?

2. In game chat -  Seriously when is it going to get fixed?  I can't believe how bad it is, just do a copy/paste of rifts and that would be more than enough.

3. Defiance has unbelievable potential for open world PvP, but I don't believe it is being taken advantage of.  Firstly, why do we have to wear those stupid PvP suits when we have earned/payed for much cooler looking ones in the "PvE game"? Secondly, Defiance has such a cool open world and awesome way of traversing it, why isn't there a proper open world PvP option? I know there is shadow war, but I'm talking real open world PvP.

Originally posted by Kaizermos

Hello Trick,

1.  Will this next patch bring an end to everyone looking the same while the game loads?  I've seen in a screenshot from the test server this is a new setting called "prox memory" or something like that.  Will that make it so we don't have this problem again?

2. In game chat -  Seriously when is it going to get fixed?  I can't believe how bad it is, just do a copy/paste of rifts and that would be more than enough.

3. Defiance has unbelievable potential for open world PvP, but I don't believe it is being taken advantage of.  Firstly, why do we have to wear those stupid PvP suits when we have earned/payed for much cooler looking ones in the "PvE game"? Secondly, Defiance has such a cool open world and awesome way of traversing it, why isn't there a proper open world PvP option? I know there is shadow war, but I'm talking real open world PvP.

Gotta agree with point 3 here. The PvP outfits are so bland!

• Speedmetal890Speedmetal890 Member Posts: 1

Hello,
    Thanks for taking time out to do this.

I have a quick question. As a massive fan of the game and show I would love to be able to play the game on my new console.

Any plans for a 'next gen' version?

I own the game on both Xbox and PC but almost all of my playtime is on Xbox, which leads me to my next question...

Maybe even cross-platform characters? (Xbox to Pc back to Xbox)

Would love to be able to play on a PC server whilst I'm away from my Xbox.

Thank you for your time,
    Speedmetal890

Sorry for the poor formatting, I'm on my phone :)

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

So I'm one of the people who purchased the game on day one, and even bought the season pass DLC thing.  Although the game was *somewhat* fun for the first 10 or so hours, I kind of lost interest after realizing that it's literally the same stuff over and over, with no real variation.  So here are a few questions I have for you, from the perspective of a player who bought into the game early and got burned on just about every level...

1. Is there anything currently in development to address redesign the UI on the PC?  It's a real mess and everyone told you so during beta, so I'm not sure how it was decided to be "good enough" for launch, but there you go.
    2. Is there any depth to PVP these days?  When I played, it was basically just a few very small maps with everyone bunny hopping with shotguns.  Has this changed?  Are you seeing an even spread of weapon use (successful weapon use) or is it still just one or two viable guns.
    3. A lot of mobs, particularly ARK mobs and some "boss" type characters, seemed to take way too long to kill.  15 minute battles where all you're doing is emptying your ammo clip into the things face, run to grab more ammo, then doing it again, isn't really that engaging.  Has that improved at all?

I have more questions, but I"ll leave you to those now.  Thanks, in advance.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by Kaizermos

Hello Trick,

The proxy memory setting won't entirely alleviate the "generic appearance guy" running around at arkfalls. It will help, but it will primarily let you see more people. Expanded functionality for that is in the works.

The when of the in-game chat is an ongoing issue. I'd love it if it were just and issue of copying and pasting from Rift, but nothing is ever that simple. Sadly. We have entirely different libraries and communications protocols. And UI. We're on it, it's just not ready for Arkbreaker.

The PvP outfits actually assure you can see the weapons your enemies are using. It lowers the memory overhead for all the player models so we can concentrate on accurately displaying their status. It's a memory tradeoff to improve performance.

• aknaebelaknaebel Member Posts: 1
    Will Defiance be making its way on to next gen consoles? There will be lots of potential on next gen.

Originally posted by Speedmetal890

Hello,
    Thanks for taking time out to do this.

I have a quick question. As a massive fan of the game and show I would love to be able to play the game on my new console.

Any plans for a 'next gen' version?

I own the game on both Xbox and PC but almost all of my playtime is on Xbox, which leads me to my next question...

Maybe even cross-platform characters? (Xbox to Pc back to Xbox)

Would love to be able to play on a PC server whilst I'm away from my Xbox.

Thank you for your time,
    Speedmetal890

Sorry for the poor formatting, I'm on my phone :)

We're currently focusing on our release platforms, so I can't comment on the new generation of consoles. Even though the Twitch integration features on them make me intensely happy. 

We've all wanted cross-platform play and that's even how we play inside the office. (The internal servers are totally blind of platform.) Sadly, for a long list of reasons that are outside my control, we can't support cross-platform play or character transfers.

Originally posted by asmkm22

So I'm one of the people who purchased the game on day one, and even bought the season pass DLC thing.  Although the game was *somewhat* fun for the first 10 or so hours, I kind of lost interest after realizing that it's literally the same stuff over and over, with no real variation.  So here are a few questions I have for you, from the perspective of a player who bought into the game early and got burned on just about every level...

1. Is there anything currently in development to address redesign the UI on the PC?  It's a real mess and everyone told you so during beta, so I'm not sure how it was decided to be "good enough" for launch, but there you go.
    2. Is there any depth to PVP these days?  When I played, it was basically just a few very small maps with everyone bunny hopping with shotguns.  Has this changed?  Are you seeing an even spread of weapon use (successful weapon use) or is it still just one or two viable guns.
    3. A lot of mobs, particularly ARK mobs and some "boss" type characters, seemed to take way too long to kill.  15 minute battles where all you're doing is emptying your ammo clip into the things face, run to grab more ammo, then doing it again, isn't really that engaging.  Has that improved at all?

I have more questions, but I"ll leave you to those now.  Thanks, in advance.

We are doing a lot for the UI design on the PC. There were some aspects of it which were... unfortunate. We're taking surgical steps to improve it over time. Inventory management was the major push this round.

PvP still has a "build of the day" feel to it, but the Arkbreaker updates to consumables does a bit to change it. We've also altered the way damage resistance works to encourage more builds. Shotguns still dominate a lot, but we're also seeing some more eccentric builds rising to prominence which bodes well for the balance updates we've done so far. We've got some more tricks up our sleeves which will really change the game though.

We've done a lot to the health scaling in arkfall enemies since launch, and that frustration has greatly reduced. They're still tough, but considerably less nutty.

Originally posted by DMKano

Hi Trick,

I actually briefly met you at E3 last year (I think you still had long hair), thanks for doing this AMA.

1. When can we expect new areas/zones to be added?

2. Is Warmaster the biggest Volge boss or is there even a bigger Volge that Warmaster answers to?

3. How is Defiance development out of Redwood City office different than the old San Diego office? It seems that even with a much smaller dev team, more is getting done?

4. Can you drop any hints about DLC3? Maybe one word just to keep it fun?

Thanks!

Man, that long hair was hard to maintain.

A land expansion is inevitable in any MMO. I can't say when one will come. (That's not a good AMA answer, sorry.)

The Warmaster is probably the biggest Volge. Now, that does not mean it is the biggest weapon in the Volge arsenal. We saw their crazy walker-tank things in the pilot of the show. They are a sentient species, and they are definitely tool users. The Volge which come out of the Storm Divide have had much more time to prepare.

The Redwood City office is a pretty interesting place. It's a much flatter office if that makes sense. Not Valve flat, but pretty flat. Hell, Scot Hartsman, the CEO, sits in the dev cubicles just ten feet away from my own seat. It is a smaller team, but also more fluid. We have a dedicated team, but we also trade talent with Rift, Trove, and Archeage which really helps from developing tunnel vision in terms of Defiance design.

This discussion has been closed.