Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To go where no WoW has gone before

Comments

• KellthKellth Member UncommonPosts: 46
    WoWs raiding progression is in the pit. WoW is old and it is time to give a new game a chance. WOAH! it's a "WoW" clone!!!! So what don't we all love WoW when we played it? Wildstar is just what i wanted... a WoW clone that is actually good.
  • KellthKellth Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by Whiplash931
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Obviously they've taken a lot of the surefire and tested&true mechanics from WoW. Then again, they have copied a lot of other games too.

For me, the deal breaker is the subscription. If I hear the leveling experience is really good I might snatch the box including 30 days and "beat" the game in that time.

Sub games are so last decade. B2P is the future.

Sub games generally weed out  kids and some of the gold farmers. My best advice to you is to try and get a trial code from a buddy or something when the game goes live and try it out.....decide then if you think its worth 15 bucks a month. I have high hopes for Wildstar.....but I've had high hopes for many MMO's over the years. 

Agreed

• R3dGallowsR3dGallows Member Posts: 7

Let's just hope that the endgame raid dungeons are different compared to the ones in WoW 'cause that's what I hated about it. The 5 people group dungeons were fun but in the endgame you basically just need good gear to be anywhere near those people who get around 90k dps and are always on top in the dmg listing. There was no strategy at all. Just a lot of people complaining about how stupid and weak the people in the random raids were. Sometimes we had to wait about 30 minutes until someone really explained a strategy and even then the dps classes just hit the same key over and over again.

Random raids... theres your problem. Get in a guild and try doing the proper raids (normal, heroic) not the dumbed down LFR versions which had 2/3 of the mechanics removed so that a bunch of complete randoms can faceroll them with crap gear, no communication or preparation. 

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    From what I have seen WS has action combat though, thats what will make it different.
  • PapaprikaPapaprika Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by MyBoot
    Originally posted by Papaprika

You have to give them credit. They knew more swords and gnomes in an "villageroth" would mean no subs. So they took it where no clone has gone before. SPACE! The final wow frontier. 

I mean seriously. Look at the design. The use of the large hands and feet and shoulders to give armor pieces that exagerated look (marketing trick).

That color palete. 

Textures, etc...

I wish a little originality was used. But this is one title not getting my money. I mean why? When I can just slap it down on my old WoW account? Oh yeah...because he is using a laser, not a hammer. OH OK! count me in....

This: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/632/view/screens/display/26182

vs

http://www.legendra.com/media/screenshots/pc/world_of_warcraft__cataclysm/world_of_warcraft__cataclysm_screen_12.jpg

-.-

You do know that you don't have to play the game right ? Their not holding a gun to your head and demanding you pay $15.00 a month and you MUST play the game. 

based on this logic. This entire website should not exist. Since no one is forcing you to sign in and read. DERP

Originally posted by Chuckanar
    The screenshots look quite different. Guess all people look the same to some of you guys.

It is intentional. This is not the first nor the last company to use these color paletes. You all have to learn the entire design game isbased on marketing. When you walk into Wal mart or any other store. The white border around prices is used because the eye is naturally drawn to white. So you target the price. The placement of products is very important as well. It is not "oh a shelf, put item there". Everything is perfected and the mass consumers have no clue. 

Same in game. The little exagerations in hands and feet and shoulders are design to do things to your brain you do not even notice. Painters of the renaissance era did this as well. 

Any ways, back to your point. Yes they are basically the same, and feel free to do more research than just clicking on my two links... 

Originally posted by Siphaed
    Originally posted by Papaprika

You have to give them credit. They knew more swords and gnomes in an "villageroth" would mean no subs. So they took it where no clone has gone before. SPACE! The final wow frontier. 

I mean seriously. Look at the design. The use of the large hands and feet and shoulders to give armor pieces that exagerated look (marketing trick).

That color palete. 

Textures, etc...

I wish a little originality was used. But this is one title not getting my money. I mean why? When I can just slap it down on my old WoW account? Oh yeah...because he is using a laser, not a hammer. OH OK! count me in....

This: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/632/view/screens/display/26182

vs

http://www.legendra.com/media/screenshots/pc/world_of_warcraft__cataclysm/world_of_warcraft__cataclysm_screen_12.jpg

-.-

Your ignorance, it amuses us so much....

I'd say that Wildstar is a mis-mashed blend of GW2 and WoW [and space] altogether.    Why?   Because the combat has active-dodging and nearly all abilities are direction based with an AOE style hit; meaning a creature/person doesn't have to be targeted to be hit by an attack.   That's a huge step up from WoW in the most basic mechanics:  combat.     Another thing to note is the War Fortresses that is very similar to GW1's GvG fights, with a touch better update from the GW2 WvW fights.

Another thing of note is that Wildstar has it's Paths system, which allows for people to supplement their own gameplay style besides just generic questing available for everyone.    The game will have player housing out of the gate, not something tacked on an expansion some 10 years after launch (WoW).    Just....it's overall better than WoW.   

Since I did not mention combat and am talking about visuals and game play...I guess taking things out of context is your defense. WEll I will take it! (seeing a GW2 fan, it is no surprise at the fail).

Taking GW2 combat (one of the most dumbed down handed to you styles I ever played) and WoW (tab targeting)...I would have to say no, my CB experience played like niether of your examples of these... but more on the wow movements and typical mmorpg stock of animations. WoW combat is way more involved than GW2? I cn sit there and even have the targets auto targeted as I just hold down the left mouse button. In Wow you have to plan 2 hot bars worth of spells nad chose wisely on targets and timing....

Allot of games are trying to break quest hubbing. RIFT intorduces chronic instance dungeons, the ability to que up for other things in wowo and most new games to get out of questing a bit is nothing but that. A distraction. In gW2 you cna craft your way to end game...still not satisfying or extraordinary. Just meh. In the end, you are clicking left and right and WASD.... Wildstar is no exception. SO I beg to differ on that and the justifcation for the full sub (which will go F2P/// which shows more ignorace in the game, and less on my facts. Now go on back to GW2 like a good boy

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    You forgot the word "boldly". To boldly go....
    Originally posted by Shodanas

Then I would be copying another phrase. The subliminal point is that this is a clone, not a copy...so small differences do not make up for the over all duplicate XP

• corpsegankcorpsegank Member UncommonPosts: 38

I love reading these threads, just shows how arrogant people are.

Wildstar is not a "clone" of WoW, it takes things that work from WoW, and MANY other MMORPGs. 

People love vibrant colors, makes it seem more exciting and more fresh than all the grim and wow so edgy  MMOs. That's why they chose that color palette. It also fits in with the humor of the game. If you haven't noticed by the devspeaks and basically all videos related to Wildstar, this game DOES NOT take itself seriously, which is an amazing change.

The only similarities in Gameplay to WoW are moving with WASD and using a hot bar, and this isn't even related to WoW, this is how MMOs work. 

The term "WoW Clone" does not make sense anymore. It's the MMO formula since everquest to do things this way, and add features onto it. They re-use what works perfectly fine. Every time i read "WoW Clone", its like i'm reading "MMORPG Clone" it makes no sense.

PS : Clone = EXACTLY identical 

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Shodanas

The most famous split infinitive in history!

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    I will pass, the game may have slightly unique combat but that isn't enough innovation for me. No more EQ/DaoC/WoW clones, I am sick of the themepark handholding. The genre needs a new direction so I will wait for Archage, Black Desert, Bliss, Shroud of the Avatar and EQ Landmark.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

Originally posted by corpsegank

PS : Clone = EXACTLY identical 

Incorrect.

clone:  noun, verb, cloned, clon·ing

Biology .
    a. a cell, cell product, or organism that is genetically identical to the unit or individual from which it was derived.

b. a population of identical units, cells, or individuals that derive from the same ancestral line.

2. a person or thing that duplicates, imitates, or closely resembles another in appearance, function, performance, or style: All the fashion models seemed to be clones of one another.

Wildstar is a clone, just another in a long line of MMORPGs made over the last 7 years that brings little to nothing new to the genre adding to its stagnant state that wont stop players from going game to game in a short amount of time because its just the same thing all over again.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster

Originally posted by JJ82

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Like: using the phrase "wow clones"?

No horse in this race, just noting the anti-wow-clone-crusade is every bit as repetitive as the enemy they hate so much.

Originally posted by Antiquated

Someone is using the phrase expecting a different result? lol......

Originally posted by Antiquated

Someone is using the phrase expecting a different result? lol......

You're right; the phrase was chosen to produce a predictable thread.

Post 2 may have derailed that for a while. Halting here: this cannot end well.

• Romulan78Romulan78 Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by Maelzrael
    I'll be playing at launch.... and I'll play wow as well....

Exactly why I most likely will not be trying the game out, I dont want another GW2 WOW type game. I prefer a sandbox with meaningful pvp or at least a FFA pvp server that doesnt cater to the carebears.

P.S.  I am back to EVE for the time being while I wait for the next best thing.

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244
    Of course its going to be similar to wow most of their developers are from wow vanilla and burning crusade days what else would you expect from the developers. You should be happy all I hear from my guild on vent is how fantastic wow was in vanilla well these are the guys that built that vanilla wow

Originally posted by Swids2010
    Of course its going to be similar to wow most of their developers are from wow vanilla and burning crusade days what else would you expect from the developers. You should be happy all I hear from my guild on vent is how fantastic wow was in vanilla well these are the guys that built that vanilla wow

We should be happy that we are getting a new game based on 7 year old ideas?

How about we instead tell developers to get their heads out of their behinds and create something that is actually new instead?

The original Super Mario Bros was a great game...no, I would not buy a new version of the original today.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    It resembles wow more than any of the other so called wow clones, so why should wildstar get a free pass?
    Originally posted by Swids2010

And not an original idea between them.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

I'm always up for debating and hearing other peoples views, but I'm finding it really hard to see your point on, why this is a clone. So far all you have said is;

• Graphic
    • Gameplay

and the arguments you have brought up haven't proven or shown anything. People have already said, yes graphic are similar, but Wow isn't the first game ever to use cartoon graphics in game. It has also been explained by people why these graphics may have been used and they're all logical reasons.

Gameplay is the one i'm stumped on, from watching the Dev videos about ability mechanics, movement, crowd control, aiming and the live streams, what you say about gameplay, which was very little or nothing at all, from my stand point has been proven otherwise.

So please give some more info on what makes it a clone. Why and how is the gamplay exactly like Wow?

Edit: No one saying give it a free pass, just to base information on more than just the graphics.

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101
    So WoW and Wildstar has the same graphic style. And?

Originally posted by Jafotron

I'm always up for debating and hearing other peoples views, but I'm finding it really hard to see your point on, why this is a clone. So far all you have said is;

• Graphic
    • Gameplay

and the arguments you have brought up haven't proven or shown anything. People have already said, yes graphic are similar, but Wow isn't the first game ever to use cartoon graphics in game. It has also been explained by people why these graphics may have been used and they're all logical reasons.

Gameplay is the one i'm stumped on, from watching the Dev videos about ability mechanics, movement, crowd control, aiming and the live streams, what you say about gameplay, which was very little or nothing at all, from my stand point has been proven otherwise.

So please give some more info on what makes it a clone. Why and how is the gamplay exactly like Wow?

Edit: No one saying give it a free pass, just to base information on more than just the graphics.

Yet the same people who defend wildstar are the ones calling TESO  a "wow clone". Wow clone doesn't mean it's like wow, it is used as a derogatory term to wind people up. It has obviously worked on you. Remember that for future reference

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I guess there was no market for Starcraft since Warcraft already existed.  

Edit: I don't mean to imply the analogy that Wildstar is to WoW as Startcraft is to Warcraft is an apt one.  That would be an obviously absurd oversimplification.  But since the only bizarre argument the OP seemed to come up with is that there's no way a space setting appeals to some people when a fantasy setting does not, I just had to toss out the obvious counter using the exact franchise to which he was drawing a comparison.