Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eldevin Launch Review?

flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,434
Hey MMORPG how about an Eldevin launch review.   Many people are having a blast in the game.   Feels like an improved version of Runescape. 

Comments

• AtlysAtlys Member Posts: 69

You should do a personal review on it. Give your pros and cons on the game. It's always good to hear from many different sources, and you could be one of them, if you have played enough to develop an opinion. I'm sure something about Eldevin will pop up eventually on this site from the higher ups, but until that happens, you could do your own.

On the eternal quest for that one perfect MMO.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

Looks like its going to be very expensive for F2P game based on what I saw in the cash shop- 

I will pass, thanks. But it looks like it might be a fun game-  Just not fun enough to risk having two  types of "in game" cuurency which is bought with real money and used for upgrades- And looking at the "founder packs" and seeing what they list as an $80 value just makes my head spin....

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Jacxolope

Looks like its going to be very expensive for F2P game based on what I saw in the cash shop- 

I will pass, thanks. But it looks like it might be a fun game-  Just not fun enough to risk having two  types of "in game" cuurency which is bought with real money and used for upgrades- And looking at the "founder packs" and seeing what they list as an $80 value just makes my head spin....

I agree some things looked really over priced on the cash shop - like a basic bag was in essence 10 dollars.  yikes.  It's a really fun and high quality game but I think some price lowering on items needs to happen or they are going to turn more people away regardless of the quality of the game.  Look at what happened with Allods.  People were going ape poopoo over that game then the cash shop came out and they left in droves.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Margulis

I agree some things looked really over priced on the cash shop - like a basic bag was in essence 10 dollars.  yikes.  It's a really fun and high quality game but I think some price lowering on items needs to happen or they are going to turn more people away regardless of the quality of the game.  Look at what happened with Allods.  People were going ape poopoo over that game then the cash shop came out and they left in droves.

Can I add another one to this.  Seems like an OK game, not really anything new but with a few extra's to make it stand out  but also seems very cash shop heavy and as said very overpriced cash shop at that.  Also because of the gold selling/cap I'm guessing pvp is p2w.

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233
    It absolutely positively is NOT pay to win.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934

I'm having a lot of fun with this game. It's a teeny bit more expensive than some of my other games, but I've noticed most indy games are a little bit that way. The only thing I really don't like is the gold cap.

A subscription can, over time, give you 1000 of their cash shop coins per month and it's only $8. I think if the niche fits you then the price isn't so bad.

Overall the game has a lot of fun points. The story and quests seem to blend so well with the surrounding world. Instead of feeling like hub-based objectives they feel like things that should get done in the world. If an npc is lazy or cowardly and wants you to do tasks for them, the game makes a point of highlighting that in an engaging way. Sometimes there are things going wrong in the game world and you're there to help. For example when you go to open up a bank "storage" account, you find there is a problem that requires your help in order to open up access to vault storage.

Quests generally aren't required to be finished in any particular order. In fact most everything can be done any order you want. Quests kind of come in globs so you can get additional tasks and participate in stories as you adventure along, branching off into other avenues, and then return to the quest you were originally working on later.

The class system seems open. I'm still figuring this out, but it seems as though you could put points into multiple classes to gain access to their abilities. It's a tiered skill system where you put x number of points into a class and that will open up another section of abilities. You can put multiple points into abilities to make them stronger.

There is a lot more to say, but I'm not writing a complete review.

Here are a few things I think they could improve:

1. Make the gold cap go away if you spend a certain amount with them (say $25). This would hinder spammers, bots, and alt soci-puppet accounts.

2. Increase the stack size of harvest materials to 50.

3. Improve the camera angle restrictions - basically remove them and make it a full 3d camera pan instead of the faux 2.5d isometric lock they have now.

4. Tune combat and respawns - I don't die much, but when things go south there isn't much to do about it.

Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

Originally posted by tristanryan
    It absolutely positively is NOT pay to win.

I was referring to the pvp health potions, but they've changed the cost from gold to valour.  Whilst buying valour potions can certainly give an advantage, I think I'll have to agree that the game is no longer pw2.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,434
    Yes, you can buy gold with EP.  Do you need to?   No.   Once you get to lvl 10 or so you can make enough coin.  I don't really see anything I need to buy in the cash shop actually. I simply bought some Eldevin Points to support the game.  It is free so no harm checking it out. 
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I'm having a lot of fun with this game. It's a teeny bit more expensive than some of my other games, but I've noticed most indy games are a little bit that way. The only thing I really don't like is the gold cap.

A subscription can, over time, give you 1000 of their cash shop coins per month and it's only $8. I think if the niche fits you then the price isn't so bad.

Overall the game has a lot of fun points. The story and quests seem to blend so well with the surrounding world. Instead of feeling like hub-based objectives they feel like things that should get done in the world. If an npc is lazy or cowardly and wants you to do tasks for them, the game makes a point of highlighting that in an engaging way. Sometimes there are things going wrong in the game world and you're there to help. For example when you go to open up a bank "storage" account, you find there is a problem that requires your help in order to open up access to vault storage.

Quests generally aren't required to be finished in any particular order. In fact most everything can be done any order you want. Quests kind of come in globs so you can get additional tasks and participate in stories as you adventure along, branching off into other avenues, and then return to the quest you were originally working on later.

The class system seems open. I'm still figuring this out, but it seems as though you could put points into multiple classes to gain access to their abilities. It's a tiered skill system where you put x number of points into a class and that will open up another section of abilities. You can put multiple points into abilities to make them stronger.  My experience of this in other games is that if you try to multiclass too much you end up nerfing your build, not sure if it works the same here or not(but I'm guessing it does).

There is a lot more to say, but I'm not writing a complete review.

Here are a few things I think they could improve:

1. Make the gold cap go away if you spend a certain amount with them (say $25). This would hinder spammers, bots, and alt soci-puppet accounts.  Personally I'd like to see this with any amount but there is a $20 point buy.  Although I'm not sure it'll make that much of a difference if they removed it altogether as they sell gold themselves, but I guess some will still try.

2. Increase the stack size of harvest materials to 50.  Extra inventory slots are 25 silver each, but certainly wouldn't disagree with this

3. Improve the camera angle restrictions - basically remove them and make it a full 3d camera pan instead of the faux 2.5d isometric lock they have now.  Whilst 2d doesn't usually bother me, I'm finding the camera angles here very annoying.  But I read somewhere they are planning on releasing this on mobile platforms so I'm guessing they'd have to have seperate clients if they went full 3d for pc's and maximise thier profits and I don't think they'll do that, but would be nice if they could get it full 3d across the board.

4. Tune combat and respawns - I don't die much, but when things go south there isn't much to do about it.

I would also like to see them improve the xp rates or required for crafting at low levels as my experience of this without xp pots is along the lines of 1 day to level my char then 1 week(or more) to level the smithing for the new gear for my char in what is a rather dull crafting system(don't know when it gets 'deep').  Only alternative i can see is buying gold for the better gear on the vendors.  I was hoping this would be one I could play casually at a decent price but so far it seems I'd either have to spend large amounts of time or large amounts of money.

Also would suggest they increase the boost from 25% to 50% for subbing players.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 680

Yes, I'd agree with you that the cash shop is painfully expensive. Specifically, storage.

You have a personal inventory of 100 "boxes", but items can be anywhere from 1-6 boxes big, and the stack size on gathered materials is 10, and then when processed, the stack size is 5. It makes for a lot of time spent between the one bank and the outside world for gathering.

You can purchase extra inventory bag slots, which aren't exactly cheap, and then to put a bag in that slot costs a ton of real world money. The 7x7 bag (49 slots) worked out to be about $20 each!

There are a few items that also can only be purchased with real world cash, such as buckets for making compost and storing multiple stacks of stuff. And they weren't all that cheap either.

The game is very fun, but this cash shop may very well end up ruining the game for me. If they want me to spend $20 for a single bag for a single character, they're nuts.