Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you play AA if it isn't P2P or Free to Try?

BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

Generic note: I refuse to call anything "Free to Play" as it is an outright lie. With that said, consider it "Free to Try" with regard to this poll, or suggest a better alternative that sounds less lie-y.

So, will you play AA if it isn't one of the two most popular models? (This also serves as a sub-poll to show popularity of one or the other).

Cheers!

Comments

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I never spent a penny playing Planetside 2 or League of Legends etc. Free to try is a game that severely limits what you can do without paying, something like Ryzom. Most games are actually F2P, just because you can buy stuff doesn't mean you NEED to buy it.

But no i won't play a game if you have to buy the box and pay a monthly fee unless it gets absurdly good reviews. That payment model was always a ripoff and I'm glad it is starting to die out. Just like I was glad when paying by the hour died out when I was younger.

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Can we get a "Don't care, just wanna see the results option".  I for one will probably never play it.  Just curious what people are whining about today :-)

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

Originally posted by Ender4

I never spent a penny playing Planetside 2 or League of Legends etc. Free to try is a game that severely limits what you can do without paying, something like Ryzom. Most games are actually F2P, just because you can buy stuff doesn't mean you NEED to buy it.

But no i won't play a game if you have to buy the box and pay a monthly fee unless it gets absurdly good reviews. That payment model was always a ripoff and I'm glad it is starting to die out. Just like I was glad when paying by the hour died out when I was younger.

I originally said this until Planetside 2, and then realized that if you aren't spending money you cannot compete on an even level playing field. Seriously, the $$$ unlocks for guns that are, most of the time, obviously better than normal weapons that aren't almost impossible to get by normal leveling were beyond Pay-To-Win. So no, planetside is not "F2P".

Also, I've been told there are heroes you have to pay $$$ for to unlock. If there are ANY parts of a game that require you to pay RL $$$ to play, ie: classes/zones/quests, then they are NOT truly "Free". End of discussion. If ALL heroes are free like DOTA2 it still doesn't mean it isn't Free-To-Try. There are many aspects locked behind $$$ barriers that you cannot earn normally within a reasonable amount of time. 

Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin
    Can we get a "Don't care, just wanna see the results option".  I for one will probably never play it.  Just curious what people are whining about today :-)

You cannot edit polls sadly :(. I forgot about this option and realized my mistake the moment I posted said poll. Thanks for pointing it out T__T!

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

Players have been dying for a game that breaks the themepark trend and offers features that haven't been seen in MMO's for a long time. Something that is different, sandboxy, and offers many many options for players to use their time with.

Instead, all I see are players doing their best to not WANT to play it. Even though the features list dwarfs just about any MMO ever created, it really doesn't take much for you all to become disillusioned.

- If its F2P (even though just about every game is these days), I won't play.

- Creative freedom, opps sorry won't play it because it just might break my own person expectations of immersion.

- Taking too long, lost all hype. Well since it is taking so long, I guess that means I will just go back to themeparks and get bored in a month and start this all over again. So game releasing quickly >>>> quality/features

Your fickle tastes will put you all in a perpetual state of finding the "perfect" MMO even though one may already be under your noses. Keep doing your best to hate on a game which is different enough to possibly warrant long term playability in favor of these stupid petty concerns?

I remember a few years ago when players were dying for something different and the return of the sandbox. It's funny because I didn't hear about these petty concerns then. Back then it was all about what features the game actually had and players desire for something different. Now that something different is actually coming, these same players want nothing more than to find reason not to play. Thats ok, because while you all are searching for your "perfect mmo", I will be happily playing Archeage.

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    Originally posted by steelwind

Players have been dying for a game that breaks the themepark trend and offers features that haven't been seen in MMO's for a long time. Something that is different, sandboxy, and offers many many options for players to use their time with.

Instead, all I see are players doing their best to not WANT to play it. Even though the features list dwarfs just about any MMO ever created, it really doesn't take much for you all to become disillusioned.

- Creative freedom, opps sorry won't play it because it just might break my own person expectations of immersion.

- Taking too long, lost all hype. Well since it is taking so long, I guess that means I will just go back to themeparks and get bored in a month and start this all over again. So game releasing quickly >>>> quality/features

Your fickle tastes will put you all in a perpetual state of finding the "perfect" MMO even though one may already be under your noses. Keep doing your best to hate on a game which is different enough to possibly warrant long term playability in favor of these stupid petty concerns?

I remember a few years ago when players were dying for something different and the return of the sandbox. It's funny because I didn't hear about these petty concerns then. Back then it was all about what features the game actually had and players desire for something different. Now that something different is actually coming, these same players want nothing more than to find reason not to play. Thats ok, because while you all are searching for your "perfect mmo", I will be happily playing Archeage.

It being F2P isn't a "Fickle" taste. "F2P" ruins the core aspect of the game by ripping away parts of the game that are essentially its soul, and then putting them behind a monetary barrier.

I would rather everyone be on the SAME level playing field by just paying a tiny fee of $15/month. $15 is literally nothing for people whom have their priorities straight. 

I know people whom cry and complain about games not being free, but then go and drop $50 a month on bar tabs getting hammered just because they can. If you're throwing money like that around for no reason, and then cry because the games you want to play aren't "free" your priorities are skewed. 

Pay for what you actually like, and only do "Free" things for the sake of them and not because you demand it be that way just because you somehow think they should be.

Look, all I'm saying is that the payment model determines what kind of game or "product" it will become. I have no interest in seeing another Planetside 2 for quite a long time.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by BearKnight
    Originally posted by steelwind

It being F2P isn't a "Fickle" taste. "F2P" ruins the core aspect of the game by ripping away parts of the game that are essentially its soul, and then putting them behind a monetary barrier.

I would rather everyone be on the SAME level playing field by just paying a tiny fee of $15/month. $15 is literally nothing for people whom have their priorities straight. 

I know people whom cry and complain about games not being free, but then go and drop $50 a month on bar tabs getting hammered just because they can. If you're throwing money like that around for no reason, and then cry because the games you want to play aren't "free" your priorities are skewed. 

Pay for what you actually like, and only do "Free" things for the sake of them and not because you demand it be that way just because you somehow think they should be.

Look, all I'm saying is that the payment model determines what kind of game or "product" it will become. I have no interest in seeing another Planetside 2 for quite a long time.

Not all f2p models are P2W nor created equal. Generalizing all F2P models as P2W is just wrong. 

While I would prefer Archeage to release with a P2P model, releasing as F2P certainly won't stop me form playing it.

This post once again falls under "an excuse to bitch" as most recent posts have regarding Archeage and another petty concern.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Cash shops aren't a F2P thing, they are in almost every sub game released these days too. You need to keep those two concepts separate.

LoL is the perfect example of F2P working. You never need to spend a penny to play. You only spend to unlock stuff faster or because you want to look unique. That is the perfect payment model. I pay if I want to but I don't have to.

Sub games are the ultimate ripoff. They came around because it actually used to cost a ton to maintain an MMORPG but those days are gone, now it is just a way to rip people off. The fact they are adding cash shops on top of the sub game just makes it worse.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I dislike f2p, but I wouldn't use LoL as a argument, it has the xp boosts and such, but it is so easy to get to level 30 or whatever it is in LoL and the only thing you can really buy is skins with money, that you cannot get pretty easily by playing, without a grind.  LoL isn't a mmo though, and thus can be more cosmetic, due to less infrastructure to support.  It has very limited modes or play and maps.  You can get every champion by playing, it is just the skins that are money only and do nothing but look cool.   So I always put a disclaimer on my f2p talk, that I am talking mmos.  LoL comes out with champions very fast, they often are OP at release, and people want them, so you probably have a lot of people with no points paying cash for them to get them...I have put a couple bucks into LoL, but as appreciation, I hate f2p, but if I play something (over 2000 games) a lot, I will support the developer when it is not over reaching.  Just like TSW, when it was p2p, even when I ran out of content, I stayed subbed, because it is the first mmo I had liked in a while (and was surprised, but the stories and stuff are really good imo).

I will have to wait and see on AA, but I am not liking a lot of the talk that is coming out, with the multiple currencies and money exchanges that are being hinted to.  This system just makes my f2p senses go on alert, it is a manipulation waiting to happen by some sort probably and it is something that I generally don't want a part of.  I would much rather something be f2p, and then you have to download/pay for content after a certain stage to make money...Then everyone is on the same footing, so you can try for free, pay to stay, not achieve/win.   Anyone that pays a reasonable fee to get the content is on even ground.  Some nitpick that, but I would much rather have that then a money exchange.

I long for p2p, with no cash shop, or cosmetic only.

Originally posted by Ender4

Cash shops aren't a F2P thing, they are in almost every sub game released these days too. You need to keep those two concepts separate.

LoL is the perfect example of F2P working. You never need to spend a penny to play. You only spend to unlock stuff faster or because you want to look unique. That is the perfect payment model. I pay if I want to but I don't have to.

Sub games are the ultimate ripoff. They came around because it actually used to cost a ton to maintain an MMORPG but those days are gone, now it is just a way to rip people off. The fact they are adding cash shops on top of the sub game just makes it worse.

I have posted it many times, a lot of it is the fault of the p2p games that reached and started cash shops that were beyond cosmetic...With that said I find p2p way less rip off than f2p in general.  I think if you are going to be p2p, and you have a cash shop it better be 100% cosmetic imo....No xp potions, gear etc...  I would much rather play a p2p with no or cosmetic, then a f2p with a reallife in game cash exchange, which is the new norm for new mmos it seems.

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

game will not be f2p.. i tried it f2p on the korean server.. and you will just end up quitting..

I had the same feeling for LOTR.. every quest you can buy for realmoney and so forth..

Besides that AA got now 3 ingame currencies.. no thx.. i would rather pay a normal sub for a this game.. but from what i understand you can sub but still have buy ingame currencies..

Its gettting retarded

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    You can spin it however you want, call me dirty names and lie to yourself until you turn blue. F2P = P2W and is 50 % of what is wrong with the entire industry. I am still holding out hope that logic will prevail and ArcheAge will release in NA as either a sub or maybe sub servers as an option.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    This should probably be in the ArcheAge forums...

You make me like charity

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Hanthos
    You can spin it however you want, call me dirty names and lie to yourself until you turn blue. F2P = P2W and is 50 % of what is wrong with the entire industry. I am still holding out hope that logic will prevail and ArcheAge will release in NA as either a sub or maybe sub servers as an option.

I will spin it Hanthos.

F2P can be pay to win.  I won't disagree on that point.  But it depends on the game.

Hence your equation (F2P = P2W) is quite simply.... wrong!  

Please make that distinction in your next post on the subject.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

I hadn't thought of that, but yeah, I would personally like a sub server with no or cosmetic only cash shop (which means no xp potions etc...).  It would get rid of transfers to non-play alike servers, but if people know going in, it shouldn't be a problem....Guess that way everyone is happy.  Nice suggestion.

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165

Modern f2p makes games shit. Back in uo:r which I would call the true sandbox era f2p didn't have any impact on the game it was normal to trade ingame money and irl money. When game revolves around item grinding and money gets you everything of course modern f2p will be shit, but it's not the models fault really.

Since most of the gamers today has only played wow or its copies they think f2p has to be shit.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I'll play ArcheAge if it's good.
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    My option isn't there...I won't play tab target game...they are all the same in the end...and way to easy to exploit.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• GoozinGoozin Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Regardless of payment method I will play. Played KR version for awhile and fell in love with the game!

"Outside the dream world, life can be harsh--even cruel, but it is life"

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    where is the option of "I wont play it because too much of the game is designed around open PvP?"
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I have got real bored with the whole MMORPG genre,i have seen no effort by anyone of late,well except FFXIV but that game does not have the combat design i want.I have followed Archeage since probably as early as anyone has and i have always liked the effort going into this game.

I am bored so i do have time to find a home in a good quality game but AA does somethings i don't like.I really don't like Pvp in rpg's,not even in the least and this game still has a big push for pvp.There is however a lot of PVE and a large game world to explore but again,i doubt that class system will appeal tome,i actually feel no way could it appeal to me.

I have no idea who thought forcing us into duo choice for classes was a good idea when most are just now realizing that sub class or even multiclassing is the way to go.I prefer sub class because it allows your class to still feel like a class instead of a mixed up bunch of everything.

Perhaps the biggest mistake is to have castles but limit who can get them,that is just dumb.You know EVERY single player will want housing and even the chance to be part of a castle,without having to PVP or belong to the biggest richest guild.

I do commend Jake Song for one thing,he is trying to have as much content in the game to appeal to MANY different types of gamer's and that is about all you can ask for.However doing a little of everything might hamper each bit of content.

I can say this with the utmost confidence,Archeage is the FIRST triple A game with ALL the components since perhaps Vanguard.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by syriinx
    where is the option of "I wont play it because too much of the game is designed around open PvP?"
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I am bored so i do have time to find a home in a good quality game but AA does somethings i don't like.I really don't like Pvp in rpg's,not even in the least and this game still has a big push for pvp.

Lucky for you two, there are tons of MMO's out there without open world PvP or even any PvP, like 99% of them, maybe go play them instead of crying here for AA to become one of them too!

thx bye.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
        I dont really care if this game is Themepark or Sandy.  Those two words never come into the consideration when Im judging a game.  Is it fun or is it shit..thats all that concerns me.   I really hope they have a good open beta so's I can take a looksie. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Is the other 50% that's wrong entrenched opinions on the only right way to do things ?

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I will play either way.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    ArcheAge is one of the few games I might consider playing even if it was sub based.