Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do some mmo's leave unwanted data in your registry?

JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
Requiring you to go in and delete it yourself, a precariously dangerous mission, if you want to reinstall their game?  Is it a fault with the way the game was created or does the problem lie with computer program design?  Note that a few mmo's will not play if uninstalled then reinstalled do to this left over data.  Two examples I can give from personal experience are Aion and Mabinogi.  I'm sure there are more out there.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Because most applications of any sort do the same thing. Virtually all developers don't clean up after themselves very well.  Some do it intentionally.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Not sure I experienced this with games.

But  generally speaking, a lot of programs leaves waste in the registry.

The packaging of the application isn't always done carefully.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    For most software, cleaning up the registry upon uninstallation isn't exactly the highest priority.  But for a game to not allow you to reinstall it unless you clean up the registry yourself is really bad.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    I use CCleaner program to clean my registry because it's free but if I look in my registry after I can still see old games that haven't been removed completely.  Manually cleaning a registry (which can break stuff easy) is hard since not every file is named.  Some associated files have numeric titles.

• 5Luck5Luck Member UncommonPosts: 218

Im a gona call piracy on this thread.

Deamon tools is the only app that messes with the registry like this. Best bet is to scrap that hard drive start fresh with a new SSD and windows and become a steam member. Never use deamon tools or its ilk. Those programs mess up your regestry and makes uninstalling and reinstalling an honest game a nasty buisness.

Good luck

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by 5Luck

Deamon tools is the only app that messes with the registry like this. Best bet is to scrap that hard drive start fresh with a new SSD and windows and become a steam member. Never use deamon tools or its ilk. Those programs mess up your regestry and makes uninstalling and reinstalling an honest game a nasty buisness.

Good luck

Umm. Lol

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    Requiring you to go in and delete it yourself, a precariously dangerous mission, if you want to reinstall their game?  Is it a fault with the way the game was created or does the problem lie with computer program design?  Note that a few mmo's will not play if uninstalled then reinstalled do to this left over data.  Two examples I can give from personal experience are Aion and Mabinogi.  I'm sure there are more out there.

What exactly is the issue with leaving keys there? there only strings, consume hardly any space, and theres no performance hit?

For example. leaving a key that resolves to your saved game folder, so next reinstall your game knows where you saved your games?

edit: Rereading your post, If your blocked from a re install because of a legacy key that's either because the program was not removed the properly, or if its a 3rd party uninstaller bad programming on their part. Having said that i have not had an issue like that in many years as most installer simply overrides the existing installation.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Good luck

That is simply not true. Many applications, not just games, tend to dig themselves into the registry. They don't always have malicious reasons behind them (Though they can in terms of datamining you, which isn't very uncommon either). Anti-hack tools tend to have many registry stuff mixed in as well. The issue is most the time uninstalling their program is an afterthought, leaving them to keep changes in your system even after the program is removed.

Also, you realize steam has its own things it puts deep into your computer as well, right? Stuff that doesn't stop certain games/programs from digging into your registry at times. 

Originally posted by Purutzil

Good luck

That is simply not true. Many applications, not just games, tend to dig themselves into the registry. They don't always have malicious reasons behind them (Though they can in terms of datamining you, which isn't very uncommon either). Anti-hack tools tend to have many registry stuff mixed in as well. The issue is most the time uninstalling their program is an afterthought, leaving them to keep changes in your system even after the program is removed.

Also, you realize steam has its own things it puts deep into your computer as well, right? Stuff that doesn't stop certain games/programs from digging into your registry at times. 

Well I guess I could see what your saying -if- the application end user Did Not do any prevoius research to instalation. I mean  the only applications that dont have a better version with quality referances and reveiws at least somewhere on the net are the "fake CD rom" drive EMUs or just plain new programs that have the -beta- tag

And honestly who is gona come here to complain about a labeled beta Lol oh yea my mistake this is MMORPG.com

But surly some one can find at least one other source of these things so we can openly talk about this problem without being labled pirates right?

I still call Piracy!

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    5Luck, the OP's talking about F2P mmo's. Who would need to pirate those?
  • HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    only game Ive seen as an issue to reinstall were EQ2, had to delete it and clean registry to make it run somewhat acceptable - dont know if it is just me who had done something stupid, but it were pretty much unplayable...iirc this were when I went from using their old client to the new streaming.
    Originally posted by Betakodo

See with all those other aplications such as F2P MMOs one would simply format the drive and the problem would be solved but in the case of a pirate the drive EMU alters the primary way a drive is accessed to fool the anti piracy -contrievences- into beliving they data is coming from a liget source......

A wipe and format wont fix that.....

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

I used to be compulsively anal about keeping my PC registry clean of junk entries. It does speed up PC operation and prevent errors. It seems like most programming teams are sloppy with uninstalls and that MS is failing at file association. I use CC cleaner to remove the obvious left overs in current times while leaving everything else alone as it has gotten too risky to tinker.  MMO games are not special in this regard and the trend or fact thereof certainly rubs me entirely wrong. Sloppy code is worse than sloppy math man.

Why is this way? I figured we just lived in an age where nobody cared. However, it was suggested to me by a pro that the issue is an outgrowth of how the average consumer treats their computers like game consoles. IE... they trash them every three to five years and replace them with a totally new rig, In such an environment it makes little sense to care overly much about being exactingly clean with registries ( and fund that worry) as by the time it will be an issue most people have moved on to a new machine and MS has moved on to a new operating system.

I don't know the truth of it personally. It is what it is. Though I admit the amount of electronics we throw away in modern times to keep up with the tech curve concerns me on another level.

• BeegsBeegs Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by Betakodo

See with all those other aplications such as F2P MMOs one would simply format the drive and the problem would be solved but in the case of a pirate the drive EMU alters the primary way a drive is accessed to fool the anti piracy -contrievences- into beliving they data is coming from a liget source......

A wipe and format wont fix that.....

You are talking nonsense. I pity anyone who is unfortunate enough to be taking advice on these matters from you. If you dont like piracy thats fine, im not here to champion it either, repeatedly posting stuff like this just makes you look like an ill informed fool. Or troll, im still not sure which.

r.i.p. c!

Originally posted by Beegs

You are talking nonsense. I pity anyone who is unfortunate enough to be taking advice on these matters from you. If you dont like piracy thats fine, im not here to champion it either, repeatedly posting stuff like this just makes you look like an ill informed fool. Or troll, im still not sure which.

A troll account claiming trolling?

Nom Nom

That was some good cheese...

• BeegsBeegs Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by Beegs

A troll account claiming trolling?

Nom Nom

That was some good cheese...

Well that has as much basis in fact as the rest of your posts on this thread.

Which drive is  damaged beyond repair by using daemon tools? The system drive? The install drive? Id love to read your supporting evidence for daemon tools damaging registrys in and of itself. Games installed by using a virtual drive are no more prone to leaving behind registry entries than using a physical one. Again you must have some excellent supporting evidence to back up such a ludicrous claim, im sure youll be posting it here to enlighten us all.

r.i.p. c!

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

I used to be compulsively anal about keeping my PC registry clean of junk entries. It does speed up PC operation and prevent errors. It seems like most programming teams are sloppy with uninstalls and that MS is failing at file association. I use CC cleaner to remove the obvious left overs in current times while leaving everything else alone as it has gotten too risky to tinker.  

Eh, most people are sloppy with it because it's hardly a performance hit, if at all. You really aren't saving any space or improving your performance by getting rid of  some trash left over from game deinstalls.

There are a few applications I do take care to deinstall fully, especially startup ones, but games are not one of them.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    No idea what this has to do with MMOs, most Windows software has extremely poor installation and uninstallation practices.