Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about Eve on steam

GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359

hi.i recently wanted to give Eve a try and got a few questions:

1) if i make an account with buddy key and add a starter pack key from steam now do they stack ? (21 days from buddy i think and 30 days from starter pack)

2)is this game casual friendly?can i experience at least 1/3 of the game or more in 50 days or is it too grindy?(by casual for this game i mean like 3-4 days each week each day 4-5h or something).normally in mmos i am not looking for best things available like gear/items i just try to experience the game universe and stories although not sure if this game has much of a story but as long as the gameplay is good i am fine.

tnx in advance.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

Comments

• RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
    What I'm getting from your post I would recommend you to choose  another MMORPG. I've played EVE few years and if you're looking to "experience the story etc etc" in 50 days I can say EVE is not the game you're looking for. You can play it as casually or hardcore you want to but if your plan is to just play it for 50 days and then move to another game I say save your time and money and pick up some other game.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Gretelda
    hi.i recently wanted to give Eve a try and got a few questions:1) if i make an account with buddy key and add a starter pack key from steam now do they stack ? (21 days from buddy i think and 30 days from starter pack)2)is this game casual friendly?can i experience at least 1/3 of the game or more in 50 days or is it too grindy?(by casual for this game i mean like 3-4 days each week each day 4-5h or something).normally in mmos i am not looking for best things available like gear/items i just try to experience the game universe and stories although not sure if this game has much of a story but as long as the gameplay is good i am fine. tnx in advance.

Originally posted by adeptuz
    What I'm getting from your post I would recommend you to choose some another MMORPG. I've played EVE few years and if you're looking to "experience the story etc etc" in 50 days I can say EVE is not the game you're looking for. You can play it as casually or hardcore you want to but if your plan is to just play it for 50 days and then move to another game I say save your time and money and pick up some other game.

Yeah..the game isn't really built like that. There is no linear start-finish but rather an open ended universe.

Imagine the world as if you were immortal and not a slave to time, think of all the things you could do.

That is the premise of eve.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

This is a total sandbox.

In that way you can do whatever you want, but do not expect to "level to max in a week or see it all in a month".

What you put in= what you get out of it.

This is a sandbox, you are developing your character, you can do a lot with new toons, regardless of the ppl here that say ppl with older characters are unbeatable for you.

With that said: like I posted above, this is a sandbox, you can play casually, you can play 23hrs/day, it just depends on what you want from the game.  If you let a corporation run your daily activities it can become a grind. It all comes down to what you want and then find the right corporation for you.

If you are a casual player find a corporation that suits your needs and does not demand a daily participation for hours and hours, and if you are a very active player---> find a very active corporation.

I would recommend downloading and installing the trial, and see how it suits you. I would recommend the tutorial because I've seen more then one player from a certain themepark with orcs and elves run away crying because they don't know what to do and noone is holding their hands guiding them.

If you are ingame: join a newb friendly corporation or engage in social activity on some chat channels, nothing worse then starting your EVE experience all alone not knowing what to do and then burn out because you have noone to talk to/play with when on a single server with 60.000 players.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by Muke

nothing worse then starting your EVE experience all alone not knowing what to do and then burn out because you have noone to talk to/play with when on a single server with 60.000 players.

LOL. I couldn't have say it better myself.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Firstly no they dont stack.

You can use a buddy key (see mine below i also offer in game money reward if used)

But like others have said, if your plan is too just play (for example until wildstar comes out) then EvE is not the game for you, however, (and this is how i play it) 

if you want to join an MMO that can be played on a very casual basis as a secondary / third and acosional primary MMO then EvE is DEFINATLY for you.

My example is myself, I tend to log into eve for 12hours a day, but in terms of game play i might play for an hour then go afk for 3 hours, do an hour etc.. but all the time im playing other MMO / watchingf films etc, the thing that EvE has is that your toons are permanently enhancing their skills whether your doing something or not.

you have to forget this kill 100000 orcs = 1 level, you get roughly 40sp per minute regardless of whther you log in or not, so your toon is advancing.

But as many said, try the trial its free (use my key below and if you stump up for fulltime then ill set you up with between 250m and 300mill isk after you come of trial) once in game join a new player friendly corp see how you feel.

I love eve, but at times i hate it, for example, I might want to fly something, then realise thats its going to be 60 days away you get frustrated (even players like me with 105mill sp get frsutrated at long times to fly soemthing in game) but this is what make eve so great you work for it, you dont just go out and hit 1/2/3 on keyboard 10,000 times to get somewhere.....

Remeber the moment you log into eve for the first time is like opening a book that has no words, your job is to put words into the book, you can create a book like War and Peace or a book like "Mr Bump goes Shopping" what book you create is your decision and not that of the developers 

NB

apologies about state of writing little tired and little pissed :)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359

tnx Adeptus,Nitth,Muke and Quazal.A the thing is my connection is not that fast (100 kbps download rate) so by the time i get the client to test it the steam sales are over but it seems they don't stack and 30 days or 21 days are not that different so i can forget steam sales and try Eve Online trial whenever i want.

i read in forums about Eve before and things you guys said were mentioned and that is why i held back and didn't play till now.not because i have any problem with its style or sandbox but because of my budget issues (let's just say dollar is very expensive here).i can sub if i really want but i only do that when i have a lot of time in my hand.guess since i don't have to rush it i will try it after my university term is over.guess if i find a better time to put more into it and sub for more than 21+30 days or something is better overall

although in this post one of the users claim that it is possible

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/14/view/forums/thread/400127/EvE-at-5-on-steam-hurry.html

but as i said maybe i should wait for a better time.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Aye of course, at moment lots of people wanna watch the pennies :)

the only redeeming feature about the game is that once you get to certain point (i always say 90 days) into the game you should be sufficient at earning isk which in turn buys your game time, so the game itself can end up not costing a penny :)

But of course you have to fund the first 3/4 months :) but good luck with your hunt

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy