Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen vs. Limit Theory vs. X-Rebirth

DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

so 3 very different titles but all space sims, the most promising ones in fact

ok X-Rebirth had a buggy launch but still there is lots of potential and Egosoft has always been top notch in support and patching, and listening to community feedback

http://youtu.be/eNs1rdSkUi8

Limit Theory is a one (or two?) man project but from what I've seen it is going to be amazing

http://youtu.be/KN3tKT0E0t8?t=19m43s

http://youtu.be/mrFoesWWT30?t=3m21s

Star Citizen - is now officially the highest budget space sim EVER produced

will Star Citizen just roll over and flatten these other two or do they stand a chance, who knows.

glad the space sim returns anyway

Comments

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

X-Rebirth is a desaster, nothing more.

Of corse Star Citizien will steamroll it, there is no way to make a space game that is worse then x-Rebirth. Really, it is just that bad and has nothing to do with older X-Games apart from the name. We all know how games end that take nothing but the name and call themselves sequel.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    As much as I loved the old X games and Egosoft, I regret buying X-Rebirth as it is so much a disaster that I don't see them fixing it unless they rewrite the engine. They took on way to much, they should have tried a little less and add stuff in later. All the luck to them though, I'm sure at some point X-Rebirth will resemble an awesome game.  Here's to star citizen, not that we'll see it for a couple more years though.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Torcip
    As much as I loved the old X games and Egosoft, I regret buying X-Rebirth as it is so much a disaster that I don't see them fixing it unless they rewrite the engine. They took on way to much, they should have tried a little less and add stuff in later. All the luck to them though, I'm sure at some point X-Rebirth will resemble an awesome game.  Here's to star citizen, not that we'll see it for a couple more years though.

I bought it too and ran into some problems, but no hard feelings, I'll simply put it aside for a couple of months (or lomger) until it's patched up. I didn't really expect a non-buggy release , yes some things are broken so better take a break now than feeling like a beta tester

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Meh, trust people on here to start ripping at and complaining about yet another recently released game, you guys always seem to do that instead of giving it a chance and cry about it not being like previous games blah blah blah rather than appreciate it for the game that it is.  In my opinion, so far, I think X Rebirth is pretty decent in its own right.  So what if its not like the previous? it doesn't have to be in order to be enjoyable! learn to appreciate games for what they are!  Hell imo Assassin's Creed Black Flag isn't like the previous games but who the hell cares? its still a good game in its own right!

imageimage

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by Urvan
    Meh, trust people on here to start ripping at and complaining about yet another recently released game, you guys always seem to do that instead of giving it a chance and cry about it not being like previous games blah blah blah rather than appreciate it for the game that it is.  In my opinion, so far, I think X Rebirth is pretty decent in its own right.  So what if its not like the previous? it doesn't have to be in order to be enjoyable! learn to appreciate games for what they are!  Hell imo Assassin's Creed Black Flag isn't like the previous games but who the hell cares? its still a good game in its own right!

My biggest problem with the game is how horrible it runs.  I can't play this game at 15-30 fps. If they fix that, then awesome and I will be playing it and having fun.  But from seeing what the devs are talking about, essential saying we should lower our expectations of what our fps should be they don't really know why the performance is that bad and fixing it will be a while.  

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    And why you compare Star Citizen with X Rebirth which already failed or some low budget one-man project, then compare it with Elite Dungerous which is its main compatitor?
  • VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Urvan

I dunno dude...  I mean I've been following game reviews for decades now and you can't get much worse sounding than X-Rebirth.   It's definitely scared me away.  The general consensus seems to be that the game is absolutely butt fucking horrible.  I'll check back in on it in a couple years.

• SteinarBSteinarB Member UncommonPosts: 54

I actually never tried the X series of games.  I know, I know.  As a space sim fan I should be ashamed and self-flaggelate every day for the next decade in penance, but a fact's a fact.  Never tried them, so can't really say much about them.  That said, with the way Rebirth's been getting hammered since release I'll be waiting some time for patching and adjustments to occur before I try it out.

Limit Theory.  Josh Parnell, the guy making LT, is brilliant, no doubt about that.  In my opinion he has the skills to become the next big name in the genre.  However, it _is_ a very small operation so I don't see it really being able to "threaten", if you will, the games with bigger teams and budgets behind them.  That said, Chris Roberts himself backed the game he's also said he would have liked to hire Parnell for Star Citizen, but he wanted even more to see what he could come up with on his own with full creative control the way he has with LT.  If things work out for LT then I could see Parnell becoming this generation's Braben or Roberts when it comes to name recognition in the space sim genre.

Speaking of David Braben, Elite: Dangerous should definitely be listed among these games, and will probably be the main competition in the space sim genre for Star Citizen, or at least that's my take on things.  It's got an established studio with solid funding putting it together and Braben knows the genre very well indeed, having created the original Elite together with Ian Bell way back on the BBC Micro when dinosaurs still walked the earth.  The latest glimpses of the game look good and I'm looking forward to it almost as much as I am Star Citizen.

Star Citizen:  For hype and media attention alone this is the big dog of the genre at the moment (I'm not really counting EVE as, in my opinion, that's more of a space RTS game than a space combat sim, and therefore an entirely different genre), and what we've seen so far looks, I think we can all agree, absolutely gorgeous.  The big test of how things will work out will, I think, come with the dogfighting module when we get to put our hands on the actual gameplay.  Admittedly a buggy, probably prone to crashing, far from optimized alpha version of the gameplay at first, but it will if nothing else give a hint as to how the final product will function.  Just remember, the first few months of dogfighting alpha WILL be buggy.  There's no way around that, and CIG have reminded backers of this many, many times.  Still, one more reminder won't hurt.

So, will SC steamroll them all?  I actually don't think so.  I think, and I certainly hope, that there is room in the rather underserved space sim genre for all these games and more.  Space combat sims used to have plenty of choice, and I would like to see that become true in this genre once again.

Originally posted by mindw0rk
    And why you compare Star Citizen with X Rebirth which already failed or some low budget one-man project, then compare it with Elite Dungerous which is its main compatitor?

errm How is Elite the main competitor?

Elite has nothing really special in the intial release, apart from "procedural galaxy"

no planets, no avatar walking, no fleet managment, just you and your ship(s) in space

Elite is only trading and some combat missions. Wake me up in 2016 when they manage to implement any of these things when I´ll already be playing SC, LT and XR by then 

• UserUndeletedUserUndeleted Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Elite has nothing really special in the intial release, apart from "procedural galaxy"

no planets, no avatar walking, no fleet managment, just you and your ship(s) in space

Elite is only trading and some combat missions. Wake me up in 2016 when they manage to implement any of these things when I´ll already be playing SC, LT and XR by then 

I smell an anti Elite: Dangerous thread.

Exactly.

Talk about clash of the titans.

Originally posted by UserUndeleted

I´m not anti Elite Dangerous, I didn´t even think about it in fact because it´s nothing substantial at the moment

and the only cool stuff they think about doing is maybe happening with some expanions, long after release, only if the game is profitable, so why even putting that title up for discussion if there is not even an alpha out? besides it sadly has nothing special really that Limit Theory not already has, for example.

I´m not anti Elite Dangerous, I didn´t even think about it in fact because it´s nothing substantial at the moment

and the only cool stuff they think about doing is maybe happening with some expanions, long after release, only if the game is profitable, so why even putting that title up for discussion if there is not even an alpha out? besides it sadly has nothing special really that Limit Theory not already has, for example.

Maybe you should do your research. You can start by watching the last video release. [mod edit]
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

so 3 very different titles but all space sims, the most promising ones in fact

ok X-Rebirth had a buggy launch but still there is lots of potential and Egosoft has always been top notch in support and patching, and listening to community feedback

http://youtu.be/eNs1rdSkUi8

Limit Theory is a one (or two?) man project but from what I've seen it is going to be amazing

Star Citizen - is now officially the highest budget space sim EVER produced

will Star Citizen just roll over and flatten these other two or do they stand a chance, who knows.

glad the space sim returns anyway

It's too bad X-Rebirth is buggy as hell, and it's also too bad that it's only single player. WHY U MAKE SPACE SIM WITH ROBUST ECONOMY ONLY SINGLE PLAYER.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

None of these developers are putting in the effort,they simply see how easy it is to pull off a space sim game and hope to cash in on a rather weakly competed market.

Making space is simple,making those ships as 3D structures with literally nothing else going for them,is again simple,especially when you realize ships don't having moving limbs like player animations do.There NEEDS to be a LOT more work on peripherals in these games,like planets and settlements on them.I would love to see hundreds of planets that are auto generated and players can do whatever they please on them.We of course NEED avatar's,what Eve has done is second rate and even worse when considering how many years and millions they have made from it's players,they SHOULD be a game that is 300% better.

I realize some players and devs feel you need all kinds of radar and tracking to make any kind of pvp,but i disagree,if you give players the feeling of safety and manoeuvering without tracking,they might be more compelled to pvp and take more risks.I think i can speak for many in saying players like to explore and drive their ships,they don't want cheap auto drive or boring looking space and fake space stations.

I want to see really large 3D space stations,you enter and see hundreds of players gathered and npc ships and players wandering about and even the odd scuffle or pvp action between npcs or players.We NEED to take the BORING out of the Eve type game,FUN visuals and action brings a MUCH larger audience to this genre.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Maybe you should do your research. You can start by watching the last video release. [mod edit]

My research resulted in "all the interesting stuff is coming with some expansions, maybe sometime after release". Fact.

I really wonder how people can be so gullible and believe everything about a game which is mostly written on some paper document. Show me those planet landings and avatars walking around, then I´ll decide if I will put some money in or not.

If you think it´s all that easy why hasn´t CCP put this stuff into EvE years ago?

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    DocBrody said:

[...]

[...]

Amazing:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshparnell/limit-theory-an-infinite-procedural-space-game/posts/2270873

"It is with a heart of lead..."
    kikoodutroa8

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance