Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So we all wanted a new starwars ip and this is what we got.

AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476

as the title states.. this is our new replacement star wars game for SWG.....  all of those whines and whimpers in deep space about sony screwing over long time standing swg vetts paid off!! the games populations dwindled into near nothingness!! entire player owned cities turned into ghost towns.. the star ports on all planets became ship grave yards!!! and why!!! so the whiny veteran players could feel more satisfied that Sony got their comeuppance!

so boys and girls!! after almost 5 LONG YEARS of ridiculous over hype about this new star wars game which was to be based in the era of the old republic!!!....... we are all watching it fall flat on its arse in its infancy!  now don't get me wrong i do play this game! im even subbed but thats so i can give a full and honest of the game and my opinion people is not a very nice one.

all i can say is  ..." WOW CLONE... with visuals that would force memories of real star wars to the surface",  In short the game is just a huge piss take of the true starwars fans!!

now by true i mean all those boys and girls from the 70's who saw the original films at the movies, those boys and girls who owned the hard back books, those boys and girls who witnessed George Lucas' true vision of a galaxy far far away.  if you was a boy like me you would have vivid memories of han-solo hitting on lea, and luke thinking hes a powerful jedi and not really knowing what a jedi is, and jaba checking lea out from behind while R2 was having improper thoughts about c3-po, and all this going on while chewwy tries to repair the falcons hyper drive. i mean!!! did any of you even have the original action figures and and ships and stuff.. who here can raise their hands and say they owned the death star!!! or they owned an AT-AT or an AT-ST who can say they had obi-wan , luke, and darf on their shelve above their beds!! did any of you own an x-wing ??? infact does any one in these forums actually know what starwars is!!! ... cause its certainly not this trash EA  is stuffing down our throats. i said from the day it was announced that bioware wouldnt be able to create a starwar mmo!! for two reasons.. 

1.  Its a fecking mmo and bioware have no experience with mmo's

2. bioware has no experience with MMO's

bioware is not to blame for the shambles that is swtor!! EA is.. this game has decimated biowares good name, until this game i have not known bioware to produce a bad game. not even dragon age 2 was unbearable.

i feel for the guys at bioware and my heart goes out to them and their previous good name! its a shame they was soo short sighted to say no. its amazing what money does to people. flash enough of it under any ones nose and they will try anything just like bioware and swtor.

this game needs to be shut down and the IP released.. allowing EA to hang on to it for another 10 years is blasphemy!! there is nothing any one can do now to correct this mistake. another ballsed up game by another greedy corporat giant exploiting kids.  i thought this shit was specific to china only.

Comments

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

You know they still may make a new timeline mmo.

If you do not like Swtor ... do not play it.

Your hissy fit does you no good. The players currently enjoying Swtor do not care about you. You not liking Swtor does not mean it should be shut down.

You stay sassy!

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

yes, kinda sad, isn't it?

no worries, there is a Star Wars open world sandbox in the making.. maybe with multiplayer mode, who knows.

Also Battlefront III

DICE will do a good job

• MMOManiacsMMOManiacs Member UncommonPosts: 191

So the game experianced a huge drop off after its begining launch...Bioware changed its model, fixed a lot of the bugs, added tons of new content, and  its playerbase has  has not only been stable, but steadily growing  ever since. It has also been one of EAs top 3 earning games for the last 3 quarters

We are now on the cusp of a hotly anticipated and requested expansion, and for some reason "shut it down now" posts are poping up left and right.

I personally can't stand the game, but I also cannot help but notice the timeing and obsurdity of all of these "shut it down" posts lol

• TholdarianTholdarian Member UncommonPosts: 67

Oh look, a negative thread about SWTOR, what a surprise ... NOT

First of all: I joined SWTOR pretty late, so I don't really know what was going on before the launch, but I seriously and completely doubt that the informations pre-release made ANYBODY think this was a sandbox game like SWG was.

And you know what? People cashing in into something they hope to be THE MMO and blaming the developers for not making his/her dream game, thus spending years flaming and trashtalking said game, are the real cancer the MMO community in whole has to deal with.

Ofc SWTOR could be a lot better, but so could like ... every game in existence, honestly. The only thing that baffles me is the amount of money spend to create such a mediocre game. If the cost of making wouldn't have been so exorbitantely high, I doubt anyone would be that upset.

TL;DR: Nothing to see here, move on!

Originally posted by DocBrody

no worries, there is a Star Wars open world sandbox in the making.. maybe with multiplayer mode, who knows.

Also Battlefront III

DICE will do a good job

Doc, shoulnd't you at least even try the game out before passing such a big judgement?

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

2011 called, they want their thread back.

Originally posted by Tholdornas
    Oh look, a negative thread about SWTOR, what a surprise ... NOT First of all: I joined SWTOR pretty late, so I don't really know what was going on before the launch, but I seriously and completely doubt that the informations pre-release made ANYBODY think this was a sandbox game like SWG was.And you know what? People cashing in into something they hope to be THE MMO and blaming the developers for not making his/her dream game, thus spending years flaming and trashtalking said game, are the real cancer the MMO community in whole has to deal with.Ofc SWTOR could be a lot better, but so could like ... every game in existence, honestly. The only thing that baffles me is the amount of money spend to create such a mediocre game. If the cost of making wouldn't have been so exorbitantely high, I doubt anyone would be that upset.TL;DR: Nothing to see here, move on!

you are correct, everyone knew it wasn't going to be a sandbox SWG 2 type game far before it launched and that is exactly why you still see people whining about it to this very day, because they didn't get what they personally wanted. boo hoo!

yes, kinda sad, isn't it?no worries, there is a Star Wars open world sandbox in the making.. maybe with multiplayer mode, who knows.Also Battlefront III DICE will do a good job

nah, the "SWG vets" will be upset about that game too because it wont be like SWG.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by baphamet

No kidding.

Originally posted by deniromonk

I personally can't stand the game, but I also cannot help but notice the timeing and obsurdity of all of these "shut it down" posts lol

Sadly many people think only one Star Wars mmo could ever exist at one time. A Kotor age mmo hosted by the company that invented it is rather logical if you think about it and EA has a 10 year license for the total IP with new movies and stories coming out. If a new age mmo makes biz sense they will do it regardless of a Kotor mmo as they have NO CONNECTION.

Now if these idiots would realize this they may start complaining about the real issue: that EQ has a horrible record for hosting mmos when they were pretty much the f$cking FOUNDER of the mmorpg genre. If they got their heads out of their arses and let an mmo develop in a similar way as an indie would do it we may get a properly built mmo.

This would be entirely based upon the current business model at the time. If some of these new indie mmo that are more sandbox succeed, EA will no doubt copy the business model and we MAY see a new mmo. The very fact Swtor actually makes money means EA has the only proof they care about when it comes to making an mmo. If mmo = profit then an mmo will be made. They do not care if anyone is butt hurt over previous games.

If Swtor indeed continues to make money and certainly more than SWG ever made then it will likely HELP future Star Wars mmo prospects ... not hurt them.

You stay sassy!

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291
    Worse yet....what will Disney do with the Stars Wars license now that they own it.

Also Battlefront III

DICE will do a good job

Some of the things written by Doc in the last couple of days:

"there is a Star Wars open world sandbox in the making"

"and the player "ships" are useless instances you can do absolutely nothing with it than click on a map or a freakin door"

"Dude, get your facts straight, SWG killed SWTOR"

Doc has become my new favorite poster on this site lol

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

The 70s Star Wars doesnt exist anymore.

It died when G. (G stands for greed) Lucas sold out to cartoon network and tailored the former star wars setting to fit 5yr olds.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Hey guys what is Star Wars?
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by baphamet

I doubt even "then" wants these threads back.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

but I seriously and completely doubt that the informations pre-release made ANYBODY think this was a sandbox game like SWG was.

funny I keep reading that "argument" quite often, yeah fantastic they said it's not going to be a sandbox! Who would have thought that!

what they actually should have told us:

forget alien races and full character customization like SWG had, here, have 3-4 preset bodytypes and recolored humans for "races", there have a Starfox railshooter instead of a fully fledged open world space sim with PvE+PvP, there, have some stale boring static tunneled planets without day night cycles instead of dynamic changing planets with weather and day/night cycles like SWG had, forget any kind of housing or decorating your house or putting trophies in, there have one of six useless  preset spaceship instances you can do nothing with, there have 20 Gigabytes of voiceovers, because that was really really missing in SWG.

Oh and "heroic", everything you do in SWTOR is heroic. Combat, combat, combat, And hey... " Fourth pillar"!

Dear EA how about a fifth pillar for our next Star Wars MMO, actual gameplay which is not dumbed down to the bare minimum in every possible area?

And how about watching any SW movie scene with SPEEDERS, for example from Episode VI, then taking a look at your 200 million $ game, then figure out if there is something wrong. And how about in your next SW MMO clicking on a space ship door doesn't make it launch into space, or... ah whatever, lost cause

Just some basic suggestions to you professional game designers out there.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
     So we all wanted a new starwars ip and this is what we got.  » Reply

As your tittle state WE, who is this "we"

I never asked for a new Star Wars IP, obviously as a gamer I wasn't against it either.

Oh I had several 30cm action figure's, Bobba Fet, Darth Vader, Luke, Leila, Han Solo, Yoda. I had all mini figurines, including about 10 to 20 different and same storm troopers. I had the milinium Falcon, I had the 2 X-Wings, had a couple of speeders.

Later I also got allot of Star Wars lego.

And still today I kinda smash my head because I sold everything because around 12 years old I developed other interests. I wish I never had. I've seen prices of what some them are worth today....meh

I have seen the first movies several times in the movies from release till months after, I just couldn't get enough of them.

Maybe because of my childhood and loving Star Wars as much is why SWG was like a dream came true. Like as a kid with my toy's I made my own story. This I could do in SWG, just being in that virtual world in the Star Wars Universe.

Now Bioware has their Star Wars Game, while I wasn't really interested in their MMO in beta or at release I am also a MMORPG fan and nothing I had seen or read screamed MMORPG to me.

I did however play the game last year summer began at the F2P till level 15, after a few weeks subbed for about 3 months, stopped playing. Tried a couple of months later again but then F2P just didn't suite me. So I simply stopped playing.

However I see no reason why the game needs to shut down. There seem to be plenty of people enjoying the game and as a gamer I actually enjoy seeing other enjoy their game regardless how I feel about it.

As I said in another topic I can not stand people who are selfish and I definitly don't understand selfish people among people that play games.

A simple fact is while something might carry your favorite IP does not mean you have to like everything that is made with that IP. Speak your mind about your dislikes, but keep things like wanting to shut down a game to yourself.

Originally posted by DeathWolf2u
    Worse yet....what will Disney do with the Stars Wars license now that they own it.

The IP went from a company doing little with it for decades and losing money to one of the largest and most aggressive companies in that industry on the planet.

New movies lined up. Side story movies lined up. 10 years of video games lined up. All this and much more within months of the purchase announcement.

How is this possibly a bad thing? Where would Star Wars be without this? Dead ... just like it was previously.

You stay sassy!

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I don't understand this thread. SWTOR released two years ago, why does the OP sound like he just woke from a coma with SWTOR in front of him?
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I enjoyed most of my time playing SWTOR. Loved the stories...played totally through 6 of the class stories. Was not put off too much by the art style....although it could have been better in many places. However, I did not like the tacked on space mini-game. Did not like the boring repeatable questing, pvp, "raids" and such at level cap. Did not find "crafting" as it was that well thought out nor very deep and therefore not very entertaining. Overall, it was a good game with a short lived interest....for me.

Let's party like it is 1863!

but I seriously and completely doubt that the informations pre-release made ANYBODY think this was a sandbox game like SWG was.

funny I keep reading that "argument" quite often, yeah fantastic they said it's not going to be a sandbox! Who would have thought that!

what they actually should have told us:

forget alien races and full character customization like SWG had, here, have 3-4 preset bodytypes and recolored humans for "races", there have a Starfox railshooter instead of a fully fledged open world space sim with PvE+PvP, there, have some stale boring static tunneled planets without day night cycles instead of dynamic changing planets with weather and day/night cycles like SWG had, forget any kind of housing or decorating your house or putting trophies in, there have one of six useless  preset spaceship instances you can do nothing with, there have 20 Gigabytes of voiceovers, because that was really really missing in SWG.

Oh and "heroic", everything you do in SWTOR is heroic. Combat, combat, combat, And hey... " Fourth pillar"!

Dear EA how about a fifth pillar for our next Star Wars MMO, actual gameplay which is not dumbed down to the bare minimum in every possible area?

And how about watching any SW movie scene with SPEEDERS, for example from Episode VI, then taking a look at your 200 million $ game, then figure out if there is something wrong. And how about in your next SW MMO clicking on a space ship door doesn't make it launch into space, or... ah whatever, lost cause

Just some basic suggestions to you professional game designers out there.

If you expected anything other than KOTOR+WoW like multip[lyer/combat, in a game they annouced was KOTOT+WOW like multiplayer/combat, then thats a you problem, not a Bioware problem. None of the things you mentioned were in KOTOR.

it seems like you wanted SWG 2, not KOTOR3 with massive multiplayer like the game was ment to be; again, a you problem lol

This discussion has been closed.