Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A true review of the **GAME**

13»

Comments

• PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646

Originally posted by Nierro
    Stop bullying Isobar please...and get a life.
    That's how he sees the game...why would he make this stuff up? What's up with you guys calling him an employee and such..just because he likes the game? Wow, you guys are buttholes.

Come on. He calls the most biased review a "true" review. Even if I like Wow I don't review it with 10/10.

• IsobarIsobar Member UncommonPosts: 17

To each his own, I find the game one of the more fun to play games I have been able to find in years.  I played UO, EQ, WoW, DaoC, L2, RO, and about 20-30 random free games or private servers.  Nothign has came close to keeping me this entertained in a game for a long time, probably since the glory days of UO. Honestly, I could care less what the server log says.  What I know, is that when I tried to log on, I was able to.  Call it lies if you want, but did you ever think that maybe I was in a different time zone than you?  Or maybe that i logged on during the times when the game was up, and once the log in servers went down, I was still in the game?  Is there a way to show playing time in this game?  I will take a picture and show how much time I have spent in this game.  I am no where near the ones who play everyday though, I am only able to get on every other day usually.

Oh, I called this a true review, because I wasn't judging the game based on its crap release.  I was judging it based on what I felt, and what I  have talked to all my in game friends about. It is unbiased because I am not a fanboi, I am not an anti-fanboi, and I am not an employee.  I am just someone who happens to like the game very much, especially since I do not have to pay a dime to play it.

• KekuleKekule Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by Isobar

I am sick of seeing everyone complain about how bad this game is because they crash every 10 seconds, I have been able to play this game consistantly for 1-2 hours at a time untill the reboot the server.  So, I will review it with everything I like and don't like.

Graphics 8/10
    Thats right, when you leave the island, and get on to the mainlands, you can turn everything on high, and the game looks incredible.  No lag, no problems crashing.  I played for 2 hours just exploring the mainlands with everything maxed, and had 25fps the whole time.  On a Laptop.  Not a gaming computer.  So this game can look good, and run well.
    Gameplay 10/10
    There is so much to do in this game already.  Don't like fighting hour after hour?  Hop on your dragon and fly around.  Flying a dragon not for you?  So you can hop into a hang glider and fly around, or go parachuting.  Snowboard?  Sure, just fly to a snow covered mountain and away you go.  Combine them all into one, or do them seperatly, its all up to you.  Once they tune the fighting system, and the crafting gets set, this game will be awesome.  I will agree, the fighting is bad right now, glitchy, and buggy.  Too many exploits, PvP needs some work too.  Being able to see your enemy 400 meters below you and able to target them and see their level isn't very fair.  They need to disable seeing enemies on radar, atleast make it so you have to physically see them before they show up on radar.  Swimming sucks, if you get stuck in the ocean, you are screwed.  /gate and /bind will be your best friends.  Don't want to run somewhere more than once?  /bind for easy travel.
    Sound 5/10
    The inital music sounds good, and even some of the effects sound good.  That wears off in 2-3 hours though.  I use ventrillo with my guild though, so I turned all the sound off anyway.  This isn't going to have the same type of music as LotR, or Final Fantasy, so don't expect it to be great.  It is a decent soundtrack while it lasts though.
    Server issues. 4/10 (With new issues, comes a new rating.  First time I haven't been able to log in)
    Thats right, I have had no probelms minus the first two days.  I have been able to log in whenever I want, and I am not a pioneer.  I stay in the game, only time I get kicked out is when they reboot the server, or my interent goes out on me.  Which is what I get for using wireless internet. 
    Combat 3/10
    This is the games main flaw, as it is horrid, buggy, and full of exploits.  Needs to be fixed asap.
    Community 3/10
    So far, the community is so pissed off at the crashes, and such that it hasn't had time to develop an economy.  Quests are few and almost unexistent.  NPCs, I have only found 3 merchants.  So that still needs time.  The so called daily GM events haven't happened, atleast when I play.  So many newbies running around helplessly, makes me wish I could kill my own realm sometimes.  Another benefit to being on the mainlands, don't have to worry about helpless noobs. 
    Overall 7/10
    Once you get over the inital launch of this game, and get into the main focus, this is a really good game.  Get away from the beginner island, and everything begins to fall into place.  You don't have 2000 noobs trying to ks every mob you fight, and the game runs just fine.  The sound needs some better effects for fighting, the swimming needs either boats, mounts, or speeding up.  The quest system needs to be added in, and the game still has some balance issues.  As expected though, this game has huge potential, and is already a blast to play.  If you can overlook the parts that have to do with the game just being released, you will be in for a treat.  The unique modes of travel in this game are more than enough to keep one entertained for a few hours, get together with your guild, and have snowboarding races, or skydive together and see who can freefall into a small lake without missing.  You just have to get creative in this game.  It is, as they said before release, a barren wasteland, so it isn't exactly the most populated world yet.  That is why we are playing it.  Give it a few more weeks, quests and npcs will be added, an economy will develop, and RvR will take off full force once everyone gets into the world, and off the damn Island. 

This is an unbiased review of the game.  I covered the good and bad parts that I noticed.  I have no affiliation with these companies, and do I care what anyone else thinks about the game.  I love it, and will keep playing it.  Have a good day.

I have to agree... people are dissing this game way too much.  The graphics are really nice, flying and all those other activities are crisp and exciting.  I get 20+ fps as long as I am away from the 10k peopel on noobie island and on the mainland.  The only thing people should complain about is the server and combat glitches.  I will give it a month or two before I claim the community is bad our not.  The game just started people, give it a break!

Kekule

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263

Gameplay 10/10
    There is so much to do in this game already. Don't like fighting hour after hour? Hop on your dragon and fly around. Flying a dragon not for you? So you can hop into a hang glider and fly around, or go parachuting. Snowboard? Sure, just fly to a snow covered mountain and away you go. Combine them all into one, or do them seperatly, its all up to you. Once they tune the fighting system, and the crafting gets set, this game will be awesome. I will agree, the fighting is bad right now, glitchy, and buggy. Too many exploits, PvP needs some work too. Being able to see your enemy 400 meters below you and able to target them and see their level isn't very fair. They need to disable seeing enemies on radar, atleast make it so you have to physically see them before they show up on radar. Swimming sucks, if you get stuck in the ocean, you are screwed. /gate and /bind will be your best friends. Don't want to run somewhere more than once? /bind for easy travel.

Okay let me get this straight.

You rate gameplay a 10/10 but then follow it up with a a paragraph explanation that is about half filled with bad things.

After you talk about snowboarding and flying you go straight to BAD things. You tak about fighting being glitching, swimming is screwed up. PvP is screwed up. Crafting isn't there yet.

Now I agree snowboarding is fun and flying is a blast but how do you explain a 10/10 with a paragraph filled with things they need to fix? Major things at that....

Odd review if you ask me.

EDIT: Not disagreeing or agreeing to your review. It is just that your point score and your explanation don't seem to match very well. You give it a 10/10 which implies the BEST IT CAN BE (Hence the maximum point score) and yet you talk about the major areas that need to be fixed (Crafting, fighting and PvP....are those not major gameplay issues?)

• pae_1337pae_1337 Member Posts: 40
    Content 2/63.
  • anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
    It's nice to see a review from someone who has played and isn't just incessantly bitching about it. All that hate only makes me want to try it even more. Good work trolls.image

• jadawinjadawin Member Posts: 37

Believe what you want, I will give you the specs of my laptop, and it isn't even that great. I haven't had a crash since I moved to mainlands, I haven't turned my graphics off of high either. I did however change the settings on how my computer manages its system memory, so that could have something to do with it also.

I have Pentium 3, 1gig of memory, ATI Radeon 9700 256mg. I don't remember all the details, I will check when I get home from work. I have no reason to lie about my performance, it works wonderfully for me, and I don't have that good of a system.

I have found plenty to explore, as I am looking for new places for forts, new places to hunt, to places to snowboard, and new places for my guild to attack other enemy forts. I have found various resources on the ground, all just blocks of wood where I can extract pieces of wood into my inventory, so the crafting can't be too far off.

After looking at the pictures in this thread

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm/load/forums/loadforum/508/loadthread/21867/setstart/1/loadclass/173

I am impressed by the developers of DaL. Very impressed. Being able to display this kind of graphics on a system with so moderate specs, a laptop no less, is truly an amazing thing to accomplish.::::40::

• dadowndadown Member UncommonPosts: 210

I haven't beenable to get into the game yet to try it out, so I can't give a personal rating for game content or game play.  However, I can analyse the comments posted here and clearly some people have no concept of wha a rating of '10' is supposed to mean!

A rating of 10/10 means that it is perfect with no room for improvement.  To rate something a 10 and then proceed to list deficiences, immediately discredits your rating.  I have played dozens of online betas and not one of them rated a 10.  A very few like DAoC and E&B rated a 9/10 for stability and lack of serious bugs in the last couple of weeks before release, but the content and gameplay were definately lower.

By definition, a game that is more than a month from being ready for release can never be rated a 10/10 because there are still improvements to make.

Based on all the comments from disappointed and frustrated players, its clear that the game must not be in good shape yet, so to claim otherwise just ruins your credibility.  I've been suspicious about the shape of the game ever since I got the pioneer offer where you had to order it BEFORE anyone got a chance to see SoG.  This immediately raised a red flag and from what I've read so far, my suspicions have been confirmed.  I'd still like to get in to the game and check it out for myself, but I'm going to be realistic and expect a game that still needs a lot of work.

• pensicpensic Member Posts: 27

Gameplay 10/10
    i stopped reading right there... you're smokin crack man!

dont do drugs kids, or this is what could happen to YOU!

thanks for giving me a great thread to use as a reference if anyone ever asks "what's a fanboi?"

lol...

-pensic-

• mhexmhex Member Posts: 29

"Give it a few more weeks, quests and npcs will be added, an economy will develop, and RvR will take off full force once everyone gets into the world, and off the damn Island.  "

yea they only had 4 years to add things to the game, I'm sure everything will magically come into place within the next few months. As far as quests go, NPCube is not adding any themselves, AD has been hired to write most of them up, those will be "live" type quests and some static ones. There are zero quests in the game atm otherwise

RvR will take off? With a disastrous combat system, unbalanced classes, mundane loot, no PVP rewards.. what exactly here do you expect to "take off in full force" here? The NPCube coders "taking off" to the nearest bank after getting a fat paycheck off those who bought the game?

Fanboy says "Gameplay 10/10", real world translation: Gameplay 2/10. Take the rose colored glasses off, fanboy! lol.

Game has potential? in the hands of a qualified coding team but not an incompetent one

• flaerpflaerp Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by ganstabruv
    Haha please save me the thoughts, Whoever could play SoG for 2 hours on a laptop with graphics turned high and 25 fps is most definitly lyeing, Im surprised that a Dark and light member of the Dev team would actually make an account on mmorpg.com to get peoples hopes up.
    Im most definitly sorry but saying that you can get good performance and graphics is utter BS.
    Stop thinking in the dream world please::::12::
    You just try to cover this up by saying you are reveiwing the bad points aswell, If you notice you only said the sound was bad and the community was, Everyone knows it and it doesint make the game bad, You cant reveiw SoG like this and call it a true review.

Umm, gfx are great, not that damn cartoonish fantasy that many games using now, runs farly smooth a 1200ish resulotion /enginesetquality high and some .ini editing ::::33::

oh and that the comunity are a bit pissed of is true as you can see ::::18::
    For me, im sticking with this game till the launch/end or whatever

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

Isobar, your review doesnt make any sense (as many have pointed out)

You give fairly high numerical ratings and then your follow-up describes a game thats half-assed. If we ignored your numbers and just looked at what you wrote then DnL would consistently score a 3 out of 10, except maybe in graphics.

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

To put it in perspective, saying that you can do things such as fly a dragon and hang glide and snowboard down the side of the mountain is the same thing as saying you can grind mobs, kill mobs for quests, and group with people to kill mobs. You're essentially doing the exact same activity, just using different methods.

Originally posted by Ranma13
    To put it in perspective, saying that you can do things such as fly a dragon and hang glide and snowboard down the side of the mountain is the same thing as saying you can grind mobs, kill mobs for quests, and group with people to kill mobs. You're essentially doing the exact same activity, just using different methods.
    how do those 3 game mechanics equate to actual "content"?! i dont understand your point...

that's like saying that bike riding is just like fishing...or playing the trumpet is just like skydiving...!?!?

-pensic-

• DamianGtoDamianGto Member Posts: 18

Well I have played the game alot to and I did read all what they did say what should be in the game.
    I love the game and I see alot good in it and what they can do with it when DnL comes out.
    SoG dont have much in it yet, but they will add things all the time.

Many complain about the game, but they just want a free game and did not understand what SoG is all about.
    The world is in chaos and ist just started to fill up with settlers.
    The ecconomi and all other things will be build up in time, like they did say.

There is now some Npc to trade with.
    You can now build fort.
    There is some Npc that you can get quest from

If you go outside noob island you will get around 25fps on all system if you follow some guide that are around.
    I got 25 outside noob island and around 15 on it.
    And I got all graphics on and play in 1600*1200 85hz.

So if you know what the game is all about you should not complain.
    The funny thing is that most people complain is people that has not understand the game and did think there was all in it from the start.
    Its also funny to se people complain about it when it has only been up a short time.
    Even people thet have not played the game complain about it. Thats only show how missinformed they are.
    And this it NOT DnL, its SoG....

Greetz

• LordAnubisLordAnubis Member Posts: 112

To some this thread up

You either like the game or not just because you likr it dosnt mean others should and same goes to the other side

I personaly like it if anything kills this game it will be np3 mangerment not the game it self

• KilimKilim Member Posts: 546

Gameplay 10/10

There is so much to do in this game.
    But there are also somethings that needs to be worked on and some bugs that are still inherently there.
    Whenever they fix the issues like the fight system and some exploits, this game will be awesome!
    They also need to disable some features as it sucks.

I just summarized the 1 rating perspective that the OP made in my post above.
    I think the 3 out of 4 sentences I made shouldn't be in there if this game gets a mark of 10/10.
    Most people consider a score of 10/10 a PERFECT score.
    Yet in my shortened version of what the OP has made, there are issues with the game currently and some features that are not implemented yet that hyped up the score.

Now just think about it for a second if this is 'really' a True Review of SoG when the OP even contradicts him/herself in their own post.

• abel5405abel5405 Member Posts: 23
    Umm, isn't this game still in Beta????

Originally posted by abel5405
    this SoG garbage should be considered "Early-Alpha" at best...

and yes, there is still a beta. but what good is beta when the same bugs were reported by hundreds of testers , some more than 12 months ago, and they never get fixed?! what's the point then?

At their current pace, I'd say DnL has approximately 2 more years of development before it will be ready for release.

but hey, that's just my opinion...

-pensic-

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by pensic

Originally posted by abel5405

this SoG garbage should be considered "Early-Alpha" at best...

and yes, there is still a beta. but what good is beta when the same bugs were reported by hundreds of testers , some more than 12 months ago, and they never get fixed?! what's the point then?

At their current pace, I'd say DnL has approximately 2 more years of development before it will be ready for release.

but hey, that's just my opinion...

I agree with you about this gaming being Alpha quality at best and that they are 2 years away from being able to release a bare bones limited playable game.   But thats 2 years only if they had a competent development team.   With the present development team there is no way they can get this thing out the door in 2 years.  Three to 10 years at best.

Think about all that has to be done its overwhleming.  They need to junk the UI and combat system.  They have already admitted they will redo the combat system.   Redo the skill system and flesh out each characters skills.  Build towns, mob spawn areas, add npcs, develop and introduce quests, develop and implement crafting, add the weather system, add the constelaltion system, add the spx sytem, add politics and kingdom management and so much more.  Then they would need to test everything,  tweak it fix it and refix it and do a ton of balancing.   Basically they need to build the entire game.  They have a beautiful world, a flight simulator and nothing else.  Before any of this work can be done they need to make the game stable.  How long will it take to make this game stable.  A month?  Two months?  6 months?  a year?  Maybe longer.  The amount of work that needs to be done just to make a bare bones somewhat playable game is just to much for this dev team.  This game will fold by March.