Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A thinking man's mmorpg

SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
  • I played through about three hours of the TSW trial and was unenthralled.  Mash button, don't die, level, level, collect supplies, select skills, find pieces of paper, mash button,  ugh... (pretty and mature, but boring as hell)
  • I'm looking for a game that requires a bit of strategy (similar to a card combat game) but also has the element of exploration and discovery.  It needs to have some difficulty.  
  • I'm hoping there is something I've over-looked or have forgotten about.  I've been through most of them out there.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

Comments

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Man, you aren't alone that's for sure. In the same boat. I am so tired of theme park MMORPGs that require nothing more than a grindy progression. I wanna be able to start thinking again in these games.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Making an effective build in TSW is probably the most thinking you can get out of it.  By the time you have a build working well for one area, the next area will counter it or introduce critters that require re-thinking your strategy.  That was the real allure for TSW, not the combat.  I doubt you got far enough into the game to truly be challenged by the critters, as almost anything works in the first area.

You might find Chess more entertaining if you are looking for deep thinking.  There isn't anything on the MMO market for people seeking an intellectual challenge beyond selecting builds and playing through some action-oriented combat.

• rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151
    cards?....try texas hold em
  • jadiusmaxjadiusmax Member UncommonPosts: 31

Threads like this are hilarious...obviously a 'thinking man' would understand that the first few hours of a good mmo are going to help you learn the game.  A 'thinking man' could easily see the complexity of the ability wheel creating synergies between different weapon types passive abilities.  A'thinking man' I'm sure can comprehend that in an mmo market that is painfully cookie cutter and uninspired that anything tossing some new ideas into the mix might just deserve more than 3 hours of testing. 

Look ok the game has some things to complain about.  But to say its a mindless same old same old game is simply not evaluating the product that exists.  Play through kingsmouth and then evaluate it.  You might find something special.  

A mind is like a parachute:  it only works when it's open.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Go try the investigation quests in TSW without looking up the walkthrus.
  • KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322

EvE.

You're welcome.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    Originally posted by jadiusmax

Threads like this are hilarious...obviously a 'thinking man' would understand that the first few hours of a good mmo are going to help you learn the game.  A 'thinking man' could easily see the complexity of the ability wheel creating synergies between different weapon types passive abilities.  A'thinking man' I'm sure can comprehend that in an mmo market that is painfully cookie cutter and uninspired that anything tossing some new ideas into the mix might just deserve more than 3 hours of testing. 

Look ok the game has some things to complain about.  But to say its a mindless same old same old game is simply not evaluating the product that exists.  Play through kingsmouth and then evaluate it.  You might find something special.  

A mind is like a parachute:  it only works when it's open.

So, other than not accepting that I'm not into TSW; this wasn't much help.  I'm sorry to waste your time.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Yes TSW is like that in the "beginning"...But later they are mixed in with quests that would suit a "a thinking man".

And...It starts  in the first zome of Kingsmouth , you just have to have patience a few more hours after the tutorial and a few quests after reaching the police station :)

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    Originally posted by syntax42

Making an effective build in TSW is probably the most thinking you can get out of it.  By the time you have a build working well for one area, the next area will counter it or introduce critters that require re-thinking your strategy.  That was the real allure for TSW, not the combat.  I doubt you got far enough into the game to truly be challenged by the critters, as almost anything works in the first area.

You might find Chess more entertaining if you are looking for deep thinking.  There isn't anything on the MMO market for people seeking an intellectual challenge beyond selecting builds and playing through some action-oriented combat.

• Thanks for suggesting Chess, but it is not an MMORPG.  I imagine you are right about TSW; it didn't snag me after three hours of playing.  I hoped it would, but no.  I covered that in the OP.  I was looking for other suggestions of something maybe I had missed or overlooked in terms of other games.  I don't need immense, brain-trembling combat, but more than spamming hotkey sequences, which is all it was for the first few hours of play.
    • Maybe I should start a new thread in the TSW forums for people to argue with me about why I should like it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233
    Id love to find others to really get into EVE with, but its literally impossible to trust anyone. The goonswarm grip knows no bounds.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by tristanryan
    Id love to find others to really get into EVE with, but its literally impossible to trust anyone. The goonswarm grip knows no bounds.

I think it might be 10 years too late to get a real grasp on EVE. It really is impossible to trust anyone in a game that promotes scamming, stealing, and etc.

I guess i agree with you. I played for several months a year ago. Joined EvE university. Made some decent isk, but i ended up losing interest. I have 2 accounts, 2 characters with just under 7 million skillpoints each that i just reactivated (babies, really), but once again it hits you like a brick wall, the game and/or community feels almost inaccessible because of paranoia.

I think it might be 10 years too late to get a real grasp on EVE. It really is impossible to trust anyone in a game that promotes scamming, stealing, and etc.

I guess i agree with you. I played for several months a year ago. Joined EvE university. Made some decent isk, but i ended up losing interest. I have 2 accounts, 2 characters with just under 7 million skillpoints each that i just reactivated (babies, really), but once again it hits you like a brick wall, the game and/or community feels almost inaccessible because of paranoia.

Think of it this way. It's the greatest game you'll never play :D

Do you play mtibbs?

Edit;

Let me give you a example. I could be all like. Hey mtibbs make an account, buy a sub, log in to gallente area and ill give you 100million isk startup. Its worth it to a guy like me, but eve is just that kind of game. There is a 92% chance 30 seconds after our transaction ive been scammed, you have a 100 million sp character that is 100m richer. Im not saying this is the case, its just the unfortunate nature of this game. I dont see how CCP makes it work. You literally have to recruit someone in real life that you will beat their ass if they screw you over. Does that make sense? I dont know.

• jadiusmaxjadiusmax Member UncommonPosts: 31

So your ok looking for something you might have missed in other games.  Great, all I'm saying is maybe you missed something in the game you were referring to.  Esp when it's one of the few unique games out there.  So I think it does help.   But whatever works.  

Think of it this way. It's the greatest game you'll never play :D

Do you play mtibbs?

I use to play it for ~5 years and even then it was incredibly hard for me to stay subscribed to the game. 

Haha, this is the point i was making. 5 years? you have at least a 100 million sp character. Just some random dude on a mmo site could have completely owned a new person. The game is impossible or seems that way, from a trust standpoint.

(if this doesnt make sense read my edit above i was working on b4 you answering my question asking if you play)

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624
    Forget the combat, tsw has actually riddles as quests. You just have to check where to find them. Some of them needed morse code, history knowledge,... to solve.
    I can't remember how to find them but you could easily mostly do only riddles to progress and i enjoyed doing so.

That aside the eve suggestion is actually the closest you will get to winning fights due prior carefull calculation and not twitch combat skills.

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Aison2
    Forget the combat, tsw has actually riddles as quests. You just have to check where to find them. Some of them needed morse code, history knowledge,... to solve. I can't remember how to find them but you could easily mostly do only riddles to progress and i enjoyed doing so. That aside the eve suggestion is actually the closest you will get to winning fights due prior carefull calculation and not twitch combat skills.

If I remember correctly while TSW has quests like that they're more or less like RIFT's rift system. In the sense that they're really just a gimmick. A secondary feature that really didn't have much emphasis late game.

Well you don't remember correctly.  There's ARGs and Puzzles throughout the whole game.  There is nothing in TSW that's like Rift's rift system.

This thread is a joke.  TSW is the game you're looking for.  If you can't be bothered to dig deeper into the game, that's your loss.

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624
    Originally posted by Aison2
    Forget the combat, tsw has actually riddles as quests. You just have to check where to find them. Some of them needed morse code, history knowledge,... to solve. I can't remember how to find them but you could easily mostly do only riddles to progress and i enjoyed doing so. That aside the eve suggestion is actually the closest you will get to winning fights due prior carefull calculation and not twitch combat skills.

If I remember correctly while TSW has quests like that they're more or less like RIFT's rift system. In the sense that they're really just a gimmick. A secondary feature that really didn't have much emphasis late game.

Who cares about late game? If its fun you play til it stops being fun.  The riddle quests are there from the start , you can just play til you get sick of it and quit. I never made it to endgame myself.

Pi*1337/100 = 42