Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your favorite "zombie" game?

ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Currently mine is State of Decay.

I am usually not that much into zombie games. Have tried several but Dead Island and Telltale's The Walking Dead series are the only one's I bought and enjoyed.

Only wished SoD had co-op options.

SoD is highly immersive to me, I like the way everything progresses. Looking beyond some of it's issue's I really feel it's a great game.

The combat is somewhat clunky, I would classified it at a Saints Row 2 and 3 level in terms of graphics/animations. But it's mostly everything else that matters ingame.

I also love that I keep figuring things out by playing and the way the story goes. Where I dislike story in MMO/rpg's I really can enjoy them in singleplayer games because you can have real consequence that effects the gameworld.

I am looking forward to season 2 of telltale's The Walking Dead. But for now SoD has got me hooked. So hooked that when I have some game time I boot it up eventhough I got Bioshocks BaS 2 day's before, yet havn't played it since I got SoD.

Comments

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    Resident Evil 1, 2, 3.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Well, I suppose it would be Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 as they are the only Zombie games I have enjoyed.

I still play every monday as a friend comes over, we get a bottle of wine and potato chips and "fight our way to rescue". And that's the evening.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Don't really know.  State of Decay is awesome, L4D/L4D2 are good fun with friends, but just to switch things up...

The upcoming Attack on Titan game

Confused?  For those of you who know what Attack on Titan is, think about it for a minute.  The titans are immediately identifiable from normal humans despite looking somewhat like them, shuffle around normally and then break into a mad dash when they see humans, eat humans despite not needing to eat (in fact nobody knows how they manage to function due to their non-need to eat), can only been defeated by attacking one spot on their body, and seem to be ex-humans if the recent story twists are to be believed.

In other words, the titans in Attack on Titan are a new take on the classical zombie, meaning that the upcoming Attack on Titan game counts as a "zombie" game.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

Before all this current zombie craze going on now, which I still do not understand, I was a huge zombie fan decades ago. I am also a huge George A. Romero and Tom Savini fan. If you do not know who Tom Savini is then you're not a true zombie fan.

With that said my favorite zombie game is 'Dead Island' the first one not 'Riptide' hands down. One of the best zombie games ever produced. I would say 'THE' best one but the character selections were kind of generic. If the character selections were better then yeah, best one.

I also really liked 'Left 4 Dead 1 & 2. So my vote goes for 'Dead Island' and then 'Left 4 Dead 1 & 2. I haven't played another zombie game that even comes close to 'Dead Island' or the 'Left 4 Dead' series, I'm still waiting.

Note: I would state something about 'State of Decay' or some of the other ones but I do not 'DO" early access BS.  So when they release I will give them a try and hope they meet some of my expectations, we'll see.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    "Dead Nation" - had a blast playing through it with my GF.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Best zombies game, really has to be the left 4 dead series, funny, tense, and a hell of a lot of fun, because one of your team mates is always a bit daft, which kind of makes it all the better image
  • VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    The Last of us, only bad point i can give this game, is the game time. But rest just perfect
  • IczerIczer Member UncommonPosts: 116

For me State of Decay was the best zombie game I have played in recent memory. The element of you having to keep your hedquarters stocked with supplies by making supply runs was a welcome addition to the traditional hack and slash zombie games. Also the "quests" or missions or whatever were smartly done and due to the single player nature of the game made your choices meaningful down the road. I only had a few things that I wished were different in the game but overall I gave it a solid 8.5 out of 10 on my personal like scale.

Side note, you can download mods for State of Decay also that alter the game to make things a bit different. After completing the game I got the Romero zombie mod which changes a few things to make the zombies more from the pre running zombie days (Night of the Living Dead - 1968, Dawn of the Dead - 1978, Day of the Dead - 1985).

Originally posted by Vapors
    The Last of us, only bad point i can give this game, is the game time. But rest just perfect

What does this mean? I saw a trailer for this game and have been really hoping for a PC version.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

In no particular Order :

The Walking Dead Season 1 Ep 1-6

Resident Evil 4

Red Dead Redemption:Undead Redemption

The Last of Us.

Stubbs the Zombie

Now if you specified Zombie Survival Game then :

DayZ

State of Decay.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Iczer

What does this mean? I saw a trailer for this game and have been really hoping for a PC version.

I've heard you can finish it in about 12 hours played so he probably means it's short.

L4D2 is the only zombie game I can think of that actually gave you that " oh shit, here they come" feeling. So I'd say that was the best one. Most seem to be just endless waves of slow easy to kill zombies. It's almost like playing a low skill FPS sometimes.

Originally posted by DamonVile

I've heard you can finish it in about 12 hours played so he probably means it's short.

L4D2 is the only zombie game I can think of that actually gave you that " oh shit, here they come" feeling. So I'd say that was the best one. Most seem to be just endless waves of slow easy to kill zombies. It's almost like playing a low skill FPS sometimes.

12 hours? Aww dang ... :(

12 hours? Aww dang ... :(

off topic a bit but a good reference site fro gaming.

Avg time 15 hrs 23 minutes.

http://www.gamelengths.com/games/playtimes/The+Last+Of+us/

• bestadamirebestadamire Member Posts: 13
    Dayz is definitely my zombie survival simulator. The only game that gets my heart pumpin anymore.  
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

From what I have seen from the Last of us is more of a movie-like game. You follow a set path with small room for freedom but it will be a great ride. I also enjoy those type of games.

I have tried L4D, scary shit.....I personaly would classified it more of a arcade zombie game, great at what it does. Just not the thing I personaly look for in a zombie game. So I guess when it comes to zombie games I seem to prefer the more survival simulator based.

DeathWolf2u: The game was released 5nov. Before release I was actually tempted to try, but the x-box or similar controller requirement turned me off since I don't game with controlers nor do I have them.

Side-note: Keep challenging myself with wanting a new home outpost yet everytime I gather new materials I keep running into upgrades for the Church we currently hold. I know perhaps I just keep getting building materials and not upgrade to start the new home outpost. But it's just interesting to see what happens when using these new upgrade's.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by SamuraiXIV
    Resident Evil 1, 2, 3.

^^This^^

The first game made me jumpy as hell when I played it a long time ago :) Loved it.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    State of Decay, for me as well.

Originally posted by Reklaw

Side-note: Keep challenging myself with wanting a new home outpost yet everytime I gather new materials I keep running into upgrades for the Church we currently hold. I know perhaps I just keep getting building materials and not upgrade to start the new home outpost. But it's just interesting to see what happens when using these new upgrade's.

I never really gave this game a serious look, now you have me interested..... They call it open world sandbox. It's not an mmo though right ? like the only people in the game are you and friends you invite ?

I never really gave this game a serious look, now you have me interested..... They call it open world sandbox. It's not an mmo though right ? like the only people in the game are you and friends you invite ?

Its a single player game but the devs said there was an MMO(ish) game being worked on based on this same model. TBH it really screams multiplayer co-op at the very least.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    My favorite zombie game will be this when it releases.  And I have been a big fan of the resident evil series, I loved RE6 unlike all the haters complaining about it.  It had a good mix of old style survival horror with Leons and Adas gameplay and the action with Chris and Jakes gameplay.  The Last of Us is also a great addition to the zombie genre.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Originally posted by DeathWolf2u

Before all this current zombie craze going on now, which I still do not understand, I was a huge zombie fan decades ago. I am also a huge George A. Romero and Tom Savini fan. If you do not know who Tom Savini is then you're not a true zombie fan.

Mondo bonus points for Savini mention!  

Top notch makeup design, good actor and director as well.  His remake of Night of the Living Dead was actually quite a nice version, with a great curveball.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ashe59ashe59 Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Stubbs the Zombie , like a boss.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

The Resident Evil remake on the Gamecube.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    My favorite zombie game will be this when it releases.  And I have been a big fan of the resident evil series, I loved RE6 unlike all the haters complaining about it.  It had a good mix of old style survival horror with Leons and Adas gameplay and the action with Chris and Jakes gameplay.  The Last of Us is also a great addition to the zombie genre.

Wel apart from Dead Island being my first best zombie game I sure look forward to the same creators making Dying Light. Mainly like DI it's first person view and now has similar movement like the Mirror Edge's game.

For now I am really hooked on State of Decay, the game even keeps me from playing Bioshock: BaS.

I'm still on Marcus the 6th. Due to perma death I started the game over. For the 6th time. I just want to keep Marcus alive aslong I can. Have found out letting him rest and take another crew member keeps me healthy. I love how time progresses which makes me do upgrades when I have enough materials before a log out.

Overall with SoD I believe where I am and not many games give me that feeling game-wise.

Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

Wel apart from Dead Island being my first best zombie game I sure look forward to the same creators making Dying Light. Mainly like DI it's first person view and now has similar movement like the Mirror Edge's game.

For now I am really hooked on State of Decay, the game even keeps me from playing Bioshock: BaS.

I'm still on Marcus the 6th. Due to perma death I started the game over. For the 6th time. I just want to keep Marcus alive aslong I can. Have found out letting him rest and take another crew member keeps me healthy. I love how time progresses which makes me do upgrades when I have enough materials before a log out.

Overall with SoD I believe where I am and not many games give me that feeling game-wise.

Also worth mentioning on State of Decay is that if you are logged out for a period of time the game checks the time and date to see how long you were out of game and simulates things (resources get used up, replenished, survivors can die while you were away too long, zombies become a bit more populated due to lack of cleaning them out.

In my first run Marcus lived right up to the end and then died 1 scene away from the end.