Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will SWTOR last another year or two?

124»

Comments

• serarielserariel Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by MrJurgens
    Originally posted by Kicksave321
    Originally posted by serariel

Ever since I quit SWTOR back in October and came to these forums, I was happy to have been met with mostly warm welcomes. I was very happy to reveal to you all how EAware's CT is heavily biased toward the apologists, and pretty much swiftly deals with anyone who criticizes a change or decision made to the game, or the game itself.

Now I'm wondering whether SWTOR can actually sustain itself for another year or two? I say this because subs have been dwindling heavily since release. As you all know, EAware was forced to go F2P, and did so in November of 2012. It's been a year now since F2P was implemented, but subscribers keep on falling. Sure, they'll spike up a bit near and during the release of an upcoming expac, only for them to plummet right after. It's very common for MMOs to lose many subscribers after a major expac.

SWTOR started out with around 1.7mil subscribers, and our last report of current subs was right after the release of Rise of the Coin Cartel, which put SWTOR at just under 500k subs, thus making it the 3rd most subscribed MMO in the western market. Subs may not be a good indicator for how much money SWTOR is making, but it sure is hell of a good indicator on how many people think the game is good for the long run. A 75%+ loss in subscribers since launch—that is NOT a good indicator whatsoever.

There are many reasons why SWTOR is losing subscribers at the rate it is, which include, but are not limited to:

• The CT "attacks" critical posters while they "endorse" apologists, making them heavily biased.
    • Using a pre-alpha engine to develop the game.
    • Heavy focus on the CM for a quick buck.
    • Lack of endgame content (more PvP systems have been removed and some Operations weren't scaled).

There could be A LOT MORE I could add to that list, but I will not. When I was playing, my server was Prophecy of the Five. Before I quit, I noticed PvP pretty much died on there... on one of the biggest servers on SWTOR. It's pretty sad that EAware is killing off what's left of the dying player-base. SWTOR could have been a huge e-sports game, but alas, EAware uses their "metrics" instead of interacting with their forum community, when the latter knows what's best for the direction of PvP at this point in time, while the former does more harm to the game than it does good.

So do you think SWTOR will be able to be maintained for another year or two and then shutdown, or will it continue to live on and prosper and expand, improve and innovate?

I look forward to a mature discussion.

Its funny that you say you quit because last I recall you were perma-banned for spreading untruths and creating drama on the website just like you tried to do with your alt account you created yesterday called TOR-tanic. Which by the way I assume was also banned since you are now on this site spreading more untruths and drama and not on SWTOR creating more hate threads. You need to get a life dude for someone who hates the game so much you sure do ride its dick alot!

More ad hominem attacks, also libeling me by trying to insinuate I'm that TOR-tanic guy.

Give up, dude. Only a fraction of you guys think that TOR-tanic is me. How about I say I'm also the 1.6mil+ free players also playing the game, if it makes you apologists feel any better? =)

Like my buddy Kazara stated on another MMO forum: "It seems the Biodrones' defense of the game only extends so far, which is typical for such players," but I will add the fact that I can't believe the apologists have resulted to this.

Dude how about you give up . The game has been out for over two year and will be around for a lot longer.  Do you seriously think it's healthy to spend over two years of your life bashing lying about a video game?  Do you think it's healthy to hate a video game?  I mean the mature healthy adults have moved on to new games we are left with the bitter desperate haters making up crap about a video game.  It's not about defending bioware it's about pointing out what sad pathetic life it must be to spend over two years crying and whining about a VIDEO GAME!

we don't need to defend bioware or Swtor the CURRENT GAME speaks for itself .

over a million player each month

making a profit

new content every 4-6 weeks

etc etc 

Clearly, you didn't get the memo.

First of all, I wasn't as critical about the game until time kept passing by, when EAware kept shafting PvP'ers and forum moderation was becoming more biased and unprofessional. Secondly, I was a blind fanboy up until sometime after they delayed Ranked WZs and the engine started acting a lot like **** around 1.4.

Thirdly, and most importantly, the subtle libel just shows how ridiculous and desperate the defenders will go to protect this game from anyone who dares question or criticize a decision or change with the game, or the game itself. Also, if you guys don't need to defend EAware or SWTOR, then why do you guys spend hours every day trolling the forums attacking critical posters who only wish to save the game from doom that's certain to happen in the future?

I have every right to make my criticisms and will praise EAware/SWTOR when I see when it's due. What the real problem is is that you defenders need some self-control, and if you don't like what the "Negative Nancys" have to say, stop trying to attack us, flame-bait us and derail our discussions just because we don't think SWTOR is the best thing since sliced bread. You aren't forced to read what we have to say. You just choose to, and you guys are at fault for putting yourselves through all the trouble at attempting to point out our "logical fallacies".

Im sorry I just don't get your logic. If you dislike the game so very much and you don't play anymore why waste time sitting around bashing it? I mean when I got tired of LOTRO I did not go to several different forums creating doom threads I simply moved on. Thats what adults do they move on they do not spend the better part of a year sitting around bitching and complaining. I wont be responding anymore either because doing so brings me to your level. I can say though I am glad they banned you and your new account from my beloved SWTOR forums they are a much more pleasent place to be now. The only reason I found this was because someone posted a link making fun of you on the SWTOR forums. So again I will say move on get a life man! 

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Ever since I quit SWTOR back in October and came to these forums, I was happy to have been met with mostly warm welcomes. I was very happy to reveal to you all how EAware's CT is heavily biased toward the apologists, and pretty much swiftly deals with anyone who criticizes a change or decision made to the game, or the game itself.

Now I'm wondering whether SWTOR can actually sustain itself for another year or two? I say this because subs have been dwindling heavily since release. As you all know, EAware was forced to go F2P, and did so in November of 2012. It's been a year now since F2P was implemented, but subscribers keep on falling. Sure, they'll spike up a bit near and during the release of an upcoming expac, only for them to plummet right after. It's very common for MMOs to lose many subscribers after a major expac.

SWTOR started out with around 1.7mil subscribers, and our last report of current subs was right after the release of Rise of the Coin Cartel, which put SWTOR at just under 500k subs, thus making it the 3rd most subscribed MMO in the western market. Subs may not be a good indicator for how much money SWTOR is making, but it sure is hell of a good indicator on how many people think the game is good for the long run. A 75%+ loss in subscribers since launch—that is NOT a good indicator whatsoever.

There are many reasons why SWTOR is losing subscribers at the rate it is, which include, but are not limited to:

• The CT "attacks" critical posters while they "endorse" apologists, making them heavily biased.
    • Lack of endgame content (more PvP systems have been removed and some Operations weren't scaled).

There could be A LOT MORE I could add to that list, but I will not. When I was playing, my server was Prophecy of the Five. Before I quit, I noticed PvP pretty much died on there... on one of the biggest servers on SWTOR. It's pretty sad that EAware is killing off what's left of the dying player-base. SWTOR could have been a huge e-sports game, but alas, EAware uses their "metrics" instead of interacting with their forum community, when the latter knows what's best for the direction of PvP at this point in time, while the former does more harm to the game than it does good.

So do you think SWTOR will be able to be maintained for another year or two and then shutdown, or will it continue to live on and prosper and expand, improve and innovate?

Its funny that you say you quit because last I recall you were perma-banned for spreading untruths and creating drama on the website just like you tried to do with your alt account you created yesterday called TOR-tanic. Which by the way I assume was also banned since you are now on this site spreading more untruths and drama and not on SWTOR creating more hate threads. You need to get a life dude for someone who hates the game so much you sure do ride its dick alot!

More ad hominem attacks, also libeling me by trying to insinuate I'm that TOR-tanic guy.

Give up, dude. Only a fraction of you guys think that TOR-tanic is me. How about I say I'm also the 1.6mil+ free players also playing the game, if it makes you apologists feel any better? =)

Like my buddy Kazara stated on another MMO forum: "It seems the Biodrones' defense of the game only extends so far, which is typical for such players," but I will add the fact that I can't believe the apologists have resulted to this.

yeah the amount of personal attacks and insinuations around here is mind boggling.

Say one critical word about the game, and they jump out at you and attack you on a personal level. Terrible that people can't just discuss the situation instead of attacking a poster. Sad. And that tells a lot about the remaining SWTOR community.

Well your just mad cause the Swtor community got you banned.  Sometimes the truth hurts.  I'm going to give you three types of people two would be considered normal, mature, healthy, living a happy life.  The other would be not normal, immature, sad, living a pathetic life.  Which one are you?

1) this person plays a video game they enjoy

2) this person didn't like a certain video game so they moved on to a new video game

3) this person hates a video game, the game has been out for over two years and they continue their crusade against it.  They no longer play cause they got banned and hate a video game.  They continue to post about the past cause they know nothing about the current state of the game.  They hope a video game fails.  

Yeah we all know what one you are.

• MrJurgensMrJurgens Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by Kicksave321

Dude how about you give up . The game has been out for over two year and will be around for a lot longer.  Do you seriously think it's healthy to spend over two years of your life bashing lying about a video game?  Do you think it's healthy to hate a video game?  I mean the mature healthy adults have moved on to new games we are left with the bitter desperate haters making up crap about a video game.  It's not about defending bioware it's about pointing out what sad pathetic life it must be to spend over two years crying and whining about a VIDEO GAME!

we don't need to defend bioware or Swtor the CURRENT GAME speaks for itself .

over a million player each month

making a profit

new content every 4-6 weeks

etc etc 

Clearly, you didn't get the memo.

First of all, I wasn't as critical about the game until time kept passing by, when EAware kept shafting PvP'ers and forum moderation was becoming more biased and unprofessional. Secondly, I was a blind fanboy up until sometime after they delayed Ranked WZs and the engine started acting a lot like **** around 1.4.

Thirdly, and most importantly, the subtle libel just shows how ridiculous and desperate the defenders will go to protect this game from anyone who dares question or criticize a decision or change with the game, or the game itself. Also, if you guys don't need to defend EAware or SWTOR, then why do you guys spend hours every day trolling the forums attacking critical posters who only wish to save the game from doom that's certain to happen in the future?

I have every right to make my criticisms and will praise EAware/SWTOR when I see when it's due. What the real problem is is that you defenders need some self-control, and if you don't like what the "Negative Nancys" have to say, stop trying to attack us, flame-bait us and derail our discussions just because we don't think SWTOR is the best thing since sliced bread. You aren't forced to read what we have to say. You just choose to, and you guys are at fault for putting yourselves through all the trouble at attempting to point out our "logical fallacies".

Im sorry I just don't get your logic. If you dislike the game so very much and you don't play anymore why waste time sitting around bashing it? I mean when I got tired of LOTRO I did not go to several different forums creating doom threads I simply moved on. Thats what adults do they move on they do not spend the better part of a year sitting around bitching and complaining. I wont be responding anymore either because doing so brings me to your level. I can say though I am glad they banned you and your new account from my beloved SWTOR forums they are a much more pleasent place to be now. The only reason I found this was because someone posted a link making fun of you on the SWTOR forums. So again I will say move on get a life man! 

If you will not be responding anymore, then why do I owe you an explanation for what I'm doing? Also, why do I owe you an explanation because you've shown in the red-colored text that you're libeling me by trying to insinuate I'm that TOR-tanic guy, and since you've clearly shown you're just going to stoop to ad hominem attacks, there's no need to explain myself to the likes of you. You are just another butthurt defender—plain and simple.

Also, for the person who posted that thread targeting me AND the TOR-tanic member, well he just broke the rules. It is against the forum rules to harass another forum member and call them out. He, along with other posters, namely the apologists, have been targeting me by trying to insinuate I'm TOR-tanic—which I'm not. I cannot wait till the OP of that thread gets an infraction for attacking me and TOR-tanic. Better tell him to edit his little precious thread before he gets a "vacation" from the forums. =)

Lastly, the intent of you apologists is not to discuss or add ideas, but simply to tear down others, add your snarky remarks and make others feel like **** for having voiced their opinions/concerns/criticisms. Too bad the CT of the boards does not really mind it whatsoever, and it's probably because their biggest offenders are often their vocal defenders.

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262

@kicksave321

just wondering, is there anything you would criticize about SWTOR or is it in your opinion "10/10 perfect game"

Nope not perfect a solid 8/10 though. What do I not like about it?  

1) I think the worlds do seen a little static, no day/night cycles ,  not a lot of npc movement.

2) I think they could have done a better job on the ships more customization give trophies to decorate and add guild ships.

3) I wish they would have added legacy and achievements at launch

4) i think if they started with a few larger planets and added more later with the ability to actually fly to those plants would have been a better system.  

So I've said it before it's not perfect not close could they have done things better? Yes is the game a good game as is? Yes for sure.  

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

yeah the amount of personal attacks and insinuations around here is mind boggling.

Say one critical word about the game, and they jump out at you and attack you on a personal level. Terrible that people can't just discuss the situation instead of attacking a poster. Sad. And that tells a lot about the remaining SWTOR community.

I think you passed "one" a few hundred posts ago. You don't want to discuss the game, you want to bash it and find people that agree it's going to fail. If it really surprises you that the people still playing have run out of patience for people like you and the OP..... then blind hater isn't a personal attack, it's just stating the obvious.

This site gets it's terrible rep from people like you.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    1Originally posted by Kicksave321

Well your just mad cause the Swtor community got you banned.  Sometimes the truth hurts.  I'm going to give you three types of people two would be considered normal, mature, healthy, living a happy life.  The other would be not normal, immature, sad, living a pathetic life.  Which one are you?

2) this person didn't like a certain video game so they moved on to a new video game

3) this person hates a video game, the game has been out for over two years and they continue their crusade against it.  They no longer play cause they got banned and hate a video game.  They continue to post about the past cause they know nothing about the current state of the game.  They hope a video game fails.  

what the hell, who are you talking to? Now I'm finally the same person, ha I knew that would happen.

"The one" mean person who unsubbed from SWTOR. ^_^

Final evidence for your tinfoil hat. For your information I never got banned from the TOR forums, and I have no idea who you are referring to the whole time. I'm not even subbed so I'm not spoiling your SWTOR forum with critizism anyway. Tried constructive suggestions back in 2011 during beta, it was useless and remains to be useless to this day, because Bioware and EA don't listen anyway.

here, the 100 page unsubscribers thread. I wrote every single post. Yep. With my 1000 paid accounts, to make SWTOR look bad.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=444571

/facepalm

Originally posted by DamonVile

I think you passed "one" a few hundred posts ago. You don't want to discuss the game, you want to bash it and find people that agree it's going to fail. If it really surprises you that the people still playing have run out of patience for people like you and the OP..... then blind hater isn't a personal attack, it's just stating the obvious.

So if you're here blindly defending the game, and I call you out for acting like a f****t, it is no longer a personal attack just because it's stating the obvious?

Wow, such logic in this one.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by Hatefull  

Well this discussion...again. How original. Listen, SWTOR will be around as long as BW wants it to be around end of story. They are launching a new pvp in space expansion and I just went back and played another toon to 50 and guess what? The population on my server at least was just fine. I hate SW:TOR I really do, but my OPINION does not mean jack and shit about sub numbers and profit. The fact of the matter is they are making money off SW:TOR and will most likely continue to do so. So I know you are butt hurt because they threw you off the official board and it would do your soul good to see the game wither and die in a matter of hours, but that isn't going to happen. I suggest that you find another game to occupy your time and get over it. Stop posting pointless threads that sound like they were written up by a petulant teenager. None of the points on your list are relevant or worth addressing.
    While I do share your opinion, I have to ask, the two highlighted sentences seem in conflict with each other.

Why would you play another character to 50 if you really hate the game.

I only disliked the end game part of it and only leveled 1 character to 50 then quit for good back at launch.

In fact, I don't play any games that I really dislike (hate's too strong a word) for any length of time, sometimes they don't last more than the 1st day.

Any game I get a character to 50 I can't say I totally disliked, and in most modern titles I enjoy their leveling aspects, just can't deal with their gear grinding end games.

Just got a 2nd level 50 in my DAOC freeshard (probably my 8th or 9th since I first played back in 2002) and I could never have done it if I disliked the game.

To keep my opinion relevant and to see if you could level up that high without paying. Turns out it is possible, but ohh so frustrating.

And yeah Hate is too strong a word, disappointed would probably be more accurate.

However the unfounded bashing of the game is just ridiculous.

Anyway, yeah I play and test games and I often revisit games I played in the past to see if improvements have been made, or if maybe MY attitude has changed. But in this case, nothing to see here.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

So if you're here blindly defending the game, and I call you out for acting like a f****t, it is no longer a personal attack just because it's stating the obvious?

Am I defending the game ? or just pointing out what a sad little hobby you have. Blind, was a fitting choice of words it seems.

Would you be so kind and not quote something where my username is somewhere in the middle, because the tinfoil hat theory already suggests every SWTOR critic is "one and the same person". It's kinda hilarious and scary at the same time. ;-)

what the hell, who are you talking to? Now I'm finally the same person, ha I knew that would happen.

Final evidence for your tinfoil hat. For your information I never got banned from the TOR forums, and I have no idea who you are referring to the whole time. I'm not even subbed so I'm not spoiling your SWTOR forum with critizism anyway. Tried constructive suggestions back in 2011 during beta, it was useless and remains to be useless to this day, because Bioware and EA don't listen anyway.

here, the 100 page unsubscribers thread. I wrote every single post. Yep. With my 1000 paid accounts, to make SWTOR look bad.

/facepalm

That attack was probably meant for me. Haha, since there are more people who are taking my side, they're now confusing the other criticizers here of being me!

=D

Would you be so kind and not quote something where my username is somewhere in the middle, because the tinfoil hat theory already suggests every SWTOR critic is "one and the same person". It's kinda hilarious and scary at the same time. ;-)

Will do, MacJurgens. ;D

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184
    my guess is that ea will have it open til  a cpl, o mnths after theyr contract obligation requires thm whilst bleedin resourses away frm it n thn finally shuttin it down due to "lack of resourses" :)
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

One day, Disney will realize that SWTOR and its bad reputation is hurting the Star Wars IP more than they are earning money with it.

What can be worse then Bieber headlining Episode 5 as Luke's son and Miley Cyrus playing Han& Leia's daughter?

BTW: Johnny Depp has been casted as the evil Sith Lord in the next episode, it will be Jack Sparrow but this time wit h a red lightsaber.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

/facepalm

That attack was probably meant for me. Haha, since there are more people who are taking my side, they're now confusing the other criticizers here of being me!

=D

Well I'm not here to take any sides, I'm just baffled that this can't be a serious discussion.

Even if I'd LOVE this game I would be interested to find out what is needed to bring people back who are currently disappointed, instead of insulting them on a personal level. This is white knighting at its finest level and will rather result in taking a big detour around everything SWTOR related

This discussion has been closed.