Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a game with some mystery

jbatternjbattern Member Posts: 30

I've recently been watching that anime Sword Art Online, and something occurred to me; the biggest thing missing in my mmo experience is the  unknown.  The idea that not everything has been charted and mapped, or that not every fight is pretty easy to call the winner before it even starts.  I want there to be some mystery in the world, a sense of not knowing what is around the corner, or of looking at a clearly high level player and just having your mind boggle.

Anyways, I won't give any silly restrictions, mainly because I'm sure there are probably no mmo's out there like this.  Hopefully someone thinks up something and thanks in advance.

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

the only way to have something uncharted/mapped is be in a beta of a new mmo. You're playing inside a box, no matter how big that box is, an mmo is still a box.

If you want mystery, try a game like TSW and don't look up a guide or read forums about builds etc and just play the game to figure out the story.

• jbatternjbattern Member Posts: 30
    Would Ryzom be a good choice? I don't know much about it.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Lots of MMOs offer this. The problem isn't that there aren't games out there with mystery. Even old MMOs offer mystery if you've never played them before.

The problem is human nature - if you keep going out to YouTube, or googling for walkthroughs, well, that's self-defeatist if your whole intent was to maintain a veil of mystery.

If your just looking for a game where it's impossible to do that, so that you won't do that, I don't know - you'd have to go for something really obscure, and even then the power of Google is pretty vast.

• paulrgodpaulrgod Member UncommonPosts: 240

Ryzom might work - the game is more of a sandbox - though there's a well established community who do know everything about the game...

It would be a mystery beginning the game fresh and it has a lot to discover.

My other suggestion would be FFXI - this game is about as mysterious as it gets!  Nothing is handed to you on a plate. 

• Maps for the areas have to be bought or earned in some other way.  Without them you get no help making your way around.
    • You'll regularly find interactive things in the game world that you'll probably never find out what they're for.
    • NPC's dont have glowing / flashing '!'s above their heads if they have quests for you, heck sometimes you may even pick up a quest and not even know your on a quest as it'll not be recorded in your journal - only the npc dialogue given a hint indicating you might be!
    • Nothing is marked on your map - you have to use your brain to figure things out or even where you need to be from what you've been told.
    The game is highly dependent on other players and unfortunately the servers aren't as full as they used to be - however having said that i'm sure there are enough people to get by just fine.

It also requires a subscription and the game requires to be bought.  But with 5 expansion packs there's a hell of a lot of game to get stuck into..

My fave MMO of all time..

I keep tempting myself to get back into it... as nothing else comes close imo.
  • jbatternjbattern Member Posts: 30
    How is Aion's world?  I hear there's a ton to do in that game, but never really played it too much.
  • Vorpal.RendVorpal.Rend Member UncommonPosts: 80

If you want a game that feels uncharted, give Wurm Online a whirl... you will get lost...easly.

Which reminds me, I am playing Mortal Online. Fairly extensive playerbase and feels alot like DFUW. Only no gay ass special moves with weps that make no sense. magic is involved, you have to train properly and get a feel for your gear and actually earn your mounts either through money and trading with other players, or learning to tame.

But the only map for the game is online, no ingame map at all, all bar a compas.

Death is extremely punishing, you will drop everything on death. its not impossible to get back, but fucked if its not hard

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

If you want mystery within mystery and challenge as well, try TSW. :)

• MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245

Try WoW, huge mystery. I still dont know why people play it. :D

Sorry...someone had to be that guy. =P

I would LOVE a SAO type game. That anime is the greatest thing to me. Makes me want to play MMOs again so bad, but none of them give me the "feeling" I want.

• DeathDealer2DeathDealer2 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    TSW also known as The Secret World... do not look up anything before game or during the game. Its goal in creation was to have an "unknown"... with the internet anything can become a known though... it is up to you to ruin it or leave it in uncertainty
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    The Secret World is an MMO about mysteries, secret societies, investigations, etc.   It will likely be completely different from any other MMO you have played.  And, it's B2P.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• MMO-VeteranMMO-Veteran Member Posts: 45
    Then you're looking for The Secret World I'd guess.
  • mentalnekomentalneko Member Posts: 18
    Final Fantasy XI just listen to me on this one. It was already mentioned so I'm rementioning it but it's really the best bet out there. This game is HUGE with a bunch of expansions, and while the game itself is probably pretty mapped out, in game isn't PLUS!! SE is VERY quiet about everything they throw at the game so there could easily be something no one has found in the new expansion. There's a free trial being offered now I believe in conjunction with some event they're doing, and as someone who playes XI, XIV 1.0 and now XIV ARR I must say XI is the best bet out there. There's world bosses like Sword Art has, there's a crap ton of skills, and you can find skills by killing monsters too!! It's really just your single best bet for a game like SAO since SAO was written back in XIs high time in Japan.