Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA please decide, either make it really like "Star Wars" or shut it down

13»

Comments

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    I absolutely am not defending the game but its not star wars at all... Its that new crap they created to try rejuvinate the ip. Knighrs of the old republic.. Only reason its refrref to as starwsrs is because it has words like jedi sith the force and light sabres associated with it..

But dont worry... Disney owns the ip now so swtor will be shut down soon and maybe a new more orriginal sw mmo will arrive like say swg 2
  • GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Originally posted by Adamai
    I absolutely am not defending the game but its not star wars at all... Its that new crap they created to try rejuvinate the ip. Knighrs of the old republic.. Only reason its refrref to as starwsrs is because it has words like jedi sith the force and light sabres associated with it..

But dont worry... Disney owns the ip now so swtor will be shut down soon and maybe a new more orriginal sw mmo will arrive like say swg 2

Even if they wanted to they can't. 

EA has a ten year contract on use of IP, so at the very least it will be around for that long.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

Yup their going to shut down a game that makes a profit. Unlike MMO Developers SOE or FunCom who wont shut down actual dead games like Anarchy Online or Vanguard Saga of Heroes.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by DocBrody

yes I finally made up my mind, don't know if this is a repost but check this user created video

http://youtu.be/L1GRn3RB8y0

omg this reminded me of the good old days of Episode 1 racer

to me this is the essence of one big thing which is wrong with the whole game!!!!!

if I look at this footage I realize the map design for every planet is like a racing track with barely changing backdrops, yet they force you to go through these bland and blocky environments with SNAIL SPEED on linear railroads

you know if you make bland level design at least let people go through with Star Wars killer speed known from the movies and make the world 10 YES TEN times bigger, then the gameplay could be somehow acceptable.

I bet the engine is still having major issues so EA, either get it fixed and revamp the game or let it go the way of the Dodo.

Or, here's a crazy idea:  You can just not play it, and let the folks who DO enjoy the game continue to play it.  

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

I found it surprising there are some apologists for snail speed speeders in SWTOR, of course just one aspect but it can be translated to every other questionable game design decision which obviously gets defended by .. fans of this game.

what I learned:

I could produce a game called FORMULA ONE and have cars "racing" at 10mph and still find fans of that concept. Amazing.

.. but it's a real formula one game because the cars look authentic!

..but it's a real formula one game because they used real world locations of formula one!

BUT THE FREAKIN CARS ALL RUN AT 10 mph

no problem, here take my money

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301

I found it surprising there are some apologists for snail speed speeders in SWTOR, of course just one aspect but it can be translated to every other questionable game design decision which obviously gets defended by .. fans of this game.

what I learned:

I could produce a game called FORMULA ONE and have cars "racing" at 10mph and still find fans of that concept. Amazing.

.. but it's a real formula one game because the cars look authentic!

..but it's a real formula one game because they used real world locations of formula one!

BUT THE FREAKIN CARS ALL RUN AT 10 mph

no problem, here take my money

What I find interesting are people like you who  think the world revolves around them.  You think when you log into an mmo everyone else logged in is there to give you free stuff and help.  Then, when you don't see what you like.  You yell "Shut this game down because I hate it derp".   I really can't help but smh at you.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    EA isn't even gonna read this ...you might as well put a message in the bottle and throw it in the ocean.
  • h3llryuh3llryu Member UncommonPosts: 19
    You do know this game is NOT suppose to be like the movies right? Also the speeders aren't meant to be that fast, if they did you wouldn't get to "enjoy" the scenery. If you want a star wars racing game there is Star Wars Episode 1 Racer for the Nintendo 64 that would give you more of a Star Wars feel then this game, probably more enjoyable too.

We are all puppets in a fancy show, the trick is to seize the ropes that bind us, and become the puppeteer image

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by akiira69

Yup their going to shut down a game that makes a profit. Unlike MMO Developers SOE or FunCom who wont shut down actual dead games like Anarchy Online or Vanguard Saga of Heroes.

You don't understand, this guy in particular doesn't like it. If that's not reason enough to shut down your game, I don't know what is.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Omali

You don't understand, this guy in particular doesn't like it. If that's not reason enough to shut down your game, I don't know what is.

Yeah someone should get in touch with EA and let them know about this post. They probably haven't thought of this, but once they read up I am sure they will shut it down so no one is forced (hehe) to keep playing it. 

Making some calls now.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

yes I finally made up my mind, don't know if this is a repost but check this user created video

Along with Wow Swtor is best game ever producest, most fun with great lore and sw feeling. If you just hate (for sake of hating or being paid for this, it does not matter), your problem.

Ok, I do not love exactly every single part ... but there are rare things I would change. Is Swtor failure? Not at all, because behind Wow (even if far behind) is still game with probably more solid subs than any other. Problem is money they have spend for that superb voiced marvel, incredible class and other stories, .... In this sense could be failure if they fail to return that money into their pockets.

Special problem of Swtor (and far from only swtor) is "haters community". They have added a lot so many have not even tried (before f2p anyway). I always try in person every game after have verified few conditions, like mondatory 3rd person view, mouse buttons used to move avatar, ....

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    Originally posted by Omali

Yeah someone should get in touch with EA and let them know about this post. They probably haven't thought of this, but once they read up I am sure they will shut it down so no one is forced (hehe) to keep playing it. 

Making some calls now.

Guys, calm down now. He has very legitimate concerns for asking the game to be shut down. I mean he saw a full video at 4X the game speed to reach his conclusion. You can not deny solutions reached from such a vigorous procedure. This isn't someone who is making a fool of himself, no Sir.

It's over EA. RIP in Peace.

Originally posted by h3llryu
    You do know this game is NOT suppose to be like the movies right? Also the speeders aren't meant to be that fast, if they did you wouldn't get to "enjoy" the scenery. 

ok so a Star Wars game is not supposed to be like the movies.. Huh.

simple question, then why did they put in speeders from the movies as mounts, if they can't be like speeders are in the movies?

It was "too hard" to make it work, or too much work to make the worlds big enough to justify the correct speeds we know from the movies, it is obvious.

they should have started with Banthas and floating chairs then and left out speeders completely, if they can't get it right

guess I'll need to play Wildstar then for a bit of Star Wars speed feeling

http://youtu.be/Xlp_DFLYRL8

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    You do know this game is NOT suppose to be like the movies right? Also the speeders aren't meant to be that fast, if they did you wouldn't get to "enjoy" the scenery. 

simple question, then why did they put in speeders from the movies as mounts, if they can't be like speeders are in the movies?

It was "too hard" to make it work, or too much work to make the worlds big enough to justify the correct speeds we know from the movies, it is obvious.

they should have started with Banthas and floating chairs then and left out speeders completely, if they can't get it right

The speeders in the game can only be driven in First gear because of speeding restrictions on almost all planets due to increasing number of accidents from people driving like maniacs in a populated area, the guy in the video being one of them. I blame this on people like him.

There is an option of fitting one or two Turbochargers depending on your experience with driving Speeders which will give you a boost of 10% and 20% respectively.

Anything more than that and you have to use the designated transport made available on the planets.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by daltanious

Along with Wow Swtor is best game ever producest, most fun with great lore and sw feeling. If you just hate (for sake of hating or being paid for this, it does not matter), your problem.

Ok, I do not love exactly every single part ... but there are rare things I would change. Is Swtor failure? Not at all, because behind Wow (even if far behind) is still game with probably more solid subs than any other. Problem is money they have spend for that superb voiced marvel, incredible class and other stories, .... In this sense could be failure if they fail to return that money into their pockets.

Special problem of Swtor (and far from only swtor) is "haters community". They have added a lot so many have not even tried (before f2p anyway). I always try in person every game after have verified few conditions, like mondatory 3rd person view, mouse buttons used to move avatar, ....

the haters exist for a reason, you know?

like, selling a substandard game with an epic title on the box

i can respect the fact, that you like the game

and you have to accept the fact, that most other players didnt

and if massive layoffs, and reaching the "break even" point a year after launch, isnt a failure...then what is?

specially with a project of this size..this isnt aunt Gertrude, painting plastic flowers in her basement, you know?

• erandhirerandhir Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by simplius

and if massive layoffs, and reaching the "break even" point a year after launch, isnt a failure...then what is?

specially with a project of this size..this isnt aunt Gertrude, painting plastic flowers in her basement, you know?

SWTOR a failure!, yes it really looks like that, but just to be sure, can you give us some back up numbers about why SWTOR is a fail?. Wait no, you cant.  SWTOR is not the next WoW and it never will, but the game is doing great with regular content updates every 6-8 weeks. But you know? is pointless, haters need to move on, easy like that. 

Originally posted by erandhir

SWTOR a failure!, yes it really looks like that, but just to be sure, can you give us some back up numbers about why SWTOR is a fail?. Wait no

2.3+ million boxes sold

subs down below 500K

220 servers merged to 17

went F2P in less than 1 year

holy cow how many more numbers do you need?

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by erandhir

SWTOR a failure!, yes it really looks like that, but just to be sure, can you give us some back up numbers about why SWTOR is a fail?. Wait no

2.3+ million boxes sold

subs down below 500K

220 servers merged to 17

went F2P in less than 1 year

holy cow how many more numbers do you need?

More than 1,000,000 players playing each month

Releasing content every 4-6 weeks

Making a profit

i understand haters like to rehash old whining points but living in the past and only have had the few key words in your argument (HAD, AT LAUNCH, DID) clearly show you have no clue about Swtor as the current game stands.  

Your fellow crusaders tried to predict Swtor would close in '11,'12,'13 good luck buddy with your crusade.  I mean you could just ask like a mature adult and be like oh well didn't like it next, or you can continue to act like spoiled little child that didn't get his way and think he is entitled to get everything his way or it should shut down .

• MMOManiacsMMOManiacs Member UncommonPosts: 191

guess I'll need to play Wildstar then for a bit of Star Wars speed feeling

http://youtu.be/Xlp_DFLYRL8

How much of a paper fan are you, to where the only thing that gives you the "star wars feeling" is not simply fast speeders (which the game has), but super fast speeders? I get it though, you want to rag on the game that is prob doing better than whatever MMO you are currently playing, so you watched a youtube video and are trying to point out "issues" with that video....how do I know this? You said you watched a video with speeders, and keep harping on their speed (somehting no real star wars fan would say "makes a game star wars"), and you think the only thing that can be done with player starships is click on a map to travel, and click on a door to leave...

Even casual star wars fans would be happy enough with the simple fact that you can obtain the rank of mandalore as a BH...but im gessing you don't even know what mandalore is...and will 100% have to google it in order to comment on this.

This discussion has been closed.