Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Will Niche Games Save the Genre?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

There is a lot of gloom and doom surrounding the longevity of the entire MMO genre. In today's Social Hub, we take a look at the notion that games seem to be trending to niches. See why we think so before leaving your thoughts in the comments.

Where we are today in the MMORPG genre is a certain turning point. Most of us know that how we've gotten to where the genre is today is a mixture of development choice and what gamers have proven they want to play, through play metrics or surveys, focus groups, and more sources. Certainly, there's a significant segment that wishes for more games like the handful we had a decade ago, but there are many more who want a connected play experience without necessarily being super connected. I say that not as a negative, but because the populations are certainly segmented. Barring another lightning in a bottle event like WoW, this segmentation, which gets at the genre itself, is likely permanent. And that is where the promising crop of more niche games might come in to play. While segmentation might sound like a bad thing, or an extension of problems some have had with MMOS, it might actually be for the best.

Read more of Christina Gonzalez's The Social Hub: Will Niche Games Save the Genre?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    It will be a combination of niche and next gen consoles. The genre may not be saved for it's current population though. You may not like where it's headed which will cause alot of us to just stop and some of us will evolve. I love gaming enough to roll with the change and help shape the culture rather than resisting the changes. I suggest you all find your niche game of choice and do the same in a progressive manner whether it be on pc or console or tablet.
  • iJustWantiJustWant Member Posts: 81

There is a lot of gloom and doom surrounding the longevity of the entire MMO genre, if you consider the small percentage of gloomers & doomers on this forum to be "a lot".

Some posters simply never recovered from the realization that Rock beats Scissors, or that a bishop only moves diagonally, so they will pour vinegar into everyone else's cereal for the remainder of their days.

That doesn't mean the end of the gaming world is near; it means a relatively small portion of this forum's community has a lifetime supply of sourness to share.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Common sense will save the genre. Once developers see that they do not need to make games for $200,000,000. You make a game using common sense and then you don't need 10 mln subbed players to break even.
  • RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Now that that is sorted, I can only hope that gamers will see that not every mmo is made for them and will stop raging, ranting, attacking, etc people who like mmo X or Y, prefer themepark over sandbox and so on and so forth.
  • CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043

I do think that this will start the healing process for the genre, but even with many of the "new" games on the horizon, they're simply re-creating what once was amazing.

The problem, IMO, is that people don't know what they like until they've already liked it. When WoW came out, especially at it's time of release, the notion of a casual game was laughable. Nobody thought it would be enjoyable or fun or anything. People were conditioned to think like hardcore players because hardcore was all anyone ever knew about the genre; there simply was no alternative. WoW's success came from streamlining in players who were curious about the genre by implementing a simple UI, easy-to-learn mechanics, and a strong sense of direction. It's essentially like riding a bike; you hit a few bumps and fall down a few times, and then you "get it" and you enjoy the game. Well.... a decade later, people are quite familiar with the basics of MMORPG's. Hence why the desire for depth is so prevalent in so many posters. The problem is, people aren't offering alternatives. They're sticking with what WAS successful. WoW was king, so people imitate WoW. Except what seemingly no developer can grasp is that if people wanted more WoW, they'd go play WoW.

What people really want is something new, something fresh (myself included). New ideas. Even if I hate the idea, I guarantee you I'll try a game out with some innovation over delving into one that's just a rehash of the past. I loved SWG, I did, but SWG was garbage. Let's be honest. It was a buggy, laggy, sack of trash with balance issues and a terrible performance issue. But they had good ideas. They had *the* best community of any MMO to date (barring MAYBE FFXI). They had different approaches to things than other MMO's on the market, and that's why I subscribed to them for months.

MMOs were always about innovation and community. It's why Eve Online continues to thrive; innovation, and a dedicated community. The stupid gear treadmills, dungeons that you run 1000x, all that garbage? Totally irrelevant. Without the first 2 elements, no one cares about anything else.

My advice to those of you developing new MMORPG's is to focus on:

1) Community development

2) Innovation, especially in your combat, leveling, and development of character.

3) Challenge. Nothing builds community like challenge.

Gear and such should be your absolute last focus, period.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by iJustWant

There is a lot of gloom and doom surrounding the longevity of the entire MMO genre, if you consider the small percentage of gloomers & doomers on this forum to be "a lot".

This, not sure why this site attracts so many melodramatic forum whiners.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Yes, niche games will "save the genre". I'm assuming that by "the genre", you are referring to MMORPG's in the classic definition.

Online gaming in all it's diverse forms does not need saving at all, because it's expanding massively and evolving rapidly.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Nice article.

I am all for more variety in games,   I think most people are.  And the mood seems to be that there are games on the horizon that offer glimmers of hope for those that have become disenchanted with the current state of AAA games.

The problem though seems to be that niche gamers seem to have become quite a fickle lot.  Because they have been deprived of the features they want for so long , it seems many have developed unrealistic expectations for their "perfect MMO"

And that is just it.   People expect their niche games to compete with the big AAA MMO's.  A game might have great gameplay features but if they cut back on graphics, some will not be happy.   The point is something usually has to be sacrificed in making a niche game on a lower budget.   And when these niche games come out and don't meet the exacting standards of these "hardcore " players then they generally get trashed in reviews and forums, leading to early pop declines, from which they never recover.

So the bigger question is not whether niche games will invigorate the genre ( I think they would)  but whether they can measure up and withstand the high demands that todays niche gamer places on them.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• jackie28jackie28 Member UncommonPosts: 108
    I think its a matter of what your criterion is for success.  You mentioned the games that were out a decade ago.  Who is to say a modern game with a 50,000 player base isn't successful?  Blizzard?  If I choose to be a game developer whose goal is to be a corporate Money Maker, then clearly there is room for Envy, but if my goal is to be a Story Teller, then by all means even if 10,000 people engaged my fiction, man - that is a success!  I think we have the wrong attitude about games in general, and we're trying to sustain a bubble.  Just my opinion.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

I think the kind of success we are talking about is not the financial variety or if the games population met expectations.

I think the success the genre needs is something like Minecraft in MMO form. (not literally, but figuratively)    A game that  comes out of nowhere, is fairly low budget, and attracts unexpectedly large numbers of players.   Games like that get noticed by companies as money making opportunities, and then the genre changes as AAA publishers try to cash in on the now popular game model.

So far none of the niche games have come close to equaling EVE in this respect, so my guess is it is going to be a long uphill climb.  But one never knows.  Anything is possible in gaming I hope!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

To parrot a phrase from a movie classic". That summarizes my feelings

"your my only hope".

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    As long as budgets are kept realistic a niche game can be successful.  The issue is that sacrifices need to be made somewhere.  Whether that be graphics, or very narrow  gameplay options, lack of voiceover etc...  What they absolutely must do though is have a very good idea of who their target market is and make sure they nail the core of their game that is meant to appeal to that market.  If they get dollar signs in their eyes and start sacrificing their core image for a wider audience and more money they will likely lose their core audience and fail to appeal to the wider audience as well.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    This was a well written article so thank you author. Like you I'm a PVEr who likes to dabble from time to time in PVP. I haven't felt a home like feeling since LOTRO came out and before that WOW and for the last 5 years or so just jump from game to game hoping for that same feeling which never stays with me for more than 6 months. I'm optimistic that whether it is a niche game or an AAA, something will eventually peak my interest. I just know that nothing being released next year seems to be the next big thing to me..just more of the 6 month filler. Hopefully I'll be wrong. I also long for a more LONG march to endgame with more depth in a rpg community with many things in game to focus on. It cannot feel linear and it cannot be the same exact feeling at level 40 as level 10 which is what GW2 felt to me as much as I liked that game. It must have true exploration that doesn't feel like a platform game. The problem with most games is that ALL of them feel way too linear. The WOW model just won't work for me anymore. Im too burnt out.

There Is Always Hope!

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by cnutemp

100 times this

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    For the most part I agree with the OP, I've been saying for years mmo's have been chasing to wide a demographic footprint to satisfy.  However, it's a two step process, your marketing dept must be in line with the development arm.  If one still casts out those huge marketing nets you'll still end up in the same place.  Don't be afraid to encourage play styles your not designing for to look elsewhere.  You'll save your self, your bottom line, and your core player base much aggravation and frustration.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by cnutemp

There are more people complaining about people complaining, and telling them they shouldn't. So, if you don't like it, don't complain about it and it will drop in volume to those with actual complaints.

As to the article. Niche is a funny word, it can be applied to anything that does attract the same numbers as the most popular. Niche games like CU wont "save" the genre because CU is trying to recapture the past, which is where the genre is stuck. Now a game like Shroud of the Avatar can...because its actually bringing new ideas and new forms of gameplay which is something the genre desperately needs.

The genre needs to be reinvented, not regressed to pre-WoW days.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

As far as I have heard, "the industry" is booming.  There is more money being made than ever before.  Games are being made left and right (and in the middle).  What genre needs saving?

If you are speaking of MMORPGs, then yes, it needs saving.  From what I read, the majority of players want nothing to do with RPGs.  I do not see what game developers can do to get players playing that do not want to...  Unless they set their sights lower than WoW's millions of players.  I don't see that happening anytime soon.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AthonoAthono Member UncommonPosts: 15

I have to say that in my humble opinion I think what the genre itself needs, and what devs need to do to make the genre more fun is player based content. I played an MMO SWG that by the standard of the genre was ahead of it's time. I think this game would have had one of the largest player bases on the market if Sony had not chased WOW. 

Players could build there own functioning guild cities. Meaning not just a generic every city has the same things that you can merely put in different places i.e. AOC, but an actual city that players could set up the way they wanted with Guild halls and actual player housing that players could decorate as they pleased.

The games economy was basicly driven by player made items( Weapons, armor, and vehicles.) It had by far the most advanced crafting system that i have seen in any MMO. By simply giving resources different characteristics and values it made player made gear and equipment the best you could get in game.

I feel that games can have systems like those in place and still have all the other elements that attract all the different playing styles, PVE, PVP, RP, Raid, Group, Pverp, PVPrp and so on. You just need to have a reward system that works in conjunction with this style of crafting system( i.e. Accessories like jewelry necklaces rings an so on, or attatchment that can be added to existing gear.) 

For the hardcore pvp players not having to get multiple sets of gear would be a boost, this also would be a bright spot for the casual pvp player making the gear they have viable in both pvp and pve. There can be other rewards such as buffs and various other things that can be gained solely through pvp to boost the system.

Like I said in my humble opinion having this type of a system would strengthen the genre and help it grow.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,959

Don't worry! The F2P lovers on here keep telling us that the genre is doing fabulously, F2P games never die and we are all going to skip of happily into F2P wonderland.

"Let me preface further comment by saying that I prefer large open worlds, content that takes a good amount of time to get through, lots of social functions, and a healthy population that is open to roleplay."

We have not had one MMO since Lotro that has lived up to those preferences. You could ask do we need that many? Are not a few great MMOs enough? The answer to that question would be yes if they kept up with today's graphics and had not gone F2P/hybrid. The graphics look dated and F2P has engendered the cash shop. Which in turn has introduced P2W and MMO gambling.

I am not sure splitting the population up into niches works, are there enough of such players around? Time will tell.

• ariasaitchoariasaitcho Member UncommonPosts: 112

Graphics don't have to wow me; voice overs, nice but not essential; cut scenes, please no! I'm playing a game, not watching a movie; housing, nope.

Give me a world to explore, stuff to craft, and a good community. I'm so - so on pvp, so long as I'm free to explore without fear of constantly being gang <censored>; I'm ok with it.

When the designers understand that they don't have to make a MMO that everyone will love (because not everyone will), then the genre will be set free again.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

to save a genre, it first must be dying.

there are more MMOs now than ever, and always more on the way.

i might not play them anymore, but just because i don't does not mean that the companies are not laughing all the way to the bank, with nearly every release.

the only thing dying is an individual's enjoyment of the genre, not the genre itself.

the doom and gloom is all in your mind, SB.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I agree with this article.

However, the problem of  "players consuming content" will not be solved by making lots of cheap niche games. This is because niche games quickly become very similar.

The solution is to enable "player-made content" and to enable limitless variation.

This has not yet been done in an MMORPG setting. The first developer than achieves this will become rich beyond their wildest dreams.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by jackie28
    I think its a matter of what your criterion is for success.  You mentioned the games that were out a decade ago.  Who is to say a modern game with a 50,000 player base isn't successful?  Blizzard?  If I choose to be a game developer whose goal is to be a corporate Money Maker, then clearly there is room for Envy, but if my goal is to be a Story Teller, then by all means even if 10,000 people engaged my fiction, man - that is a success!  I think we have the wrong attitude about games in general, and we're trying to sustain a bubble.  Just my opinion.

well said.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by Cassandra Gomez

Now, games made on a smaller budget or with an independent team have promise when it comes to highlighting certain features that, for one reason or another, have more limited appeal. And in building more suitable communities with mostly like minded players, as well as those curious to try, or merely open-minded, the overall feel might be positive.

'Cassandra' Gomez is right, but the big publishers won't be listening, they're already following where the big investors are dictating to them.

Originally posted by Cassandra Gomez

For some players, it's a square peg in round hole type situation, and utilizing the variety inherent in today's MMOs could be the way to serve some players better.

I think as much as possible the RPG genre needs to branch out from the main "MMO-" genre and become more niche to thrive. I hope it works out that way for everyone's preference, then we'll really see mmorpgs shine. I think SC and SotA somewhat are helping here.

• thorwoodthorwood Member Posts: 485

Entertainment can now be sold to the whole world from a single virtual "shop".  Even a small percentage of the world's population may be a large enough number to make a profit. 

Previously, if stores could not sell several copies at their local outlet, they never put it on their shelves. 

It is already happening in browser games.  At the moment, the tools do not seem to be available for small companies to go beyond the limitations of flash games and produce game worlds with high definition animations and scenery.  All that is needed is a further evolution in the tools available.