Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA please decide, either make it really like "Star Wars" or shut it down

Comments

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by DocBrody

yes I finally made up my mind, don't know if this is a repost but check this user created video

http://youtu.be/L1GRn3RB8y0

omg this reminded me of the good old days of Episode 1 racer

to me this is the essence of one big thing which is wrong with the whole game!!!!!

if I look at this footage I realize the map design for every planet is like a racing track with barely changing backdrops, yet they force you to go through these bland and blocky environments with SNAIL SPEED on linear railroads

you know if you make bland level design at least let people go through with Star Wars killer speed known from the movies and make the world 10 YES TEN times bigger, then the gameplay could be somehow acceptable.

I bet the engine is still having major issues so EA, either get it fixed and revamp the game or let it go the way of the Dodo.

They are going to continue to release PVP content for this game because it's the cheapest kind of content to create as it's almost all player generated and infinitely repeatable.  I expect very little in the way of new substantial PVE content and no real work on changing the underlying mechanics or engine the game runs on.

And as long as the game is making them a profit why wouldn't they?

• heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    lots of stuff i want added to swtor but its still a great game. been playing on and off for 2 years now and am still having lots of fun. and with Gs comming out its going to be beter :)
  • MMOManiacsMMOManiacs Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I know a little girl who is 9 years old and she absolutely adores SWToR. She has many characters and plays it all the time. To her this is a great Star Wars game.

As far as I'm concerned that is barometer enough.

I was obsessed with Anarchy Online, SWG, and DoAC and thought they were the greatest games ever made when I was 9 years old, so much so that the only thing i would ask for at christmass from my parents was game time.

There is 0 exaderation in that statement, does that mean they were made for children and terrible?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    Originally posted by JeroKane

I know a little girl who is 9 years old and she absolutely adores SWToR. She has many characters and plays it all the time. To her this is a great Star Wars game.

Trolling much?

If that is Your barometer, then you better go throw Your PC out of the window and find a different hobby.

As you can find such example for every single game out there. Good Luck.

I just think we take these things waaayyyy too seriously. Here we have someone who can enjoy the game on its terms. Maybe we should all start taking a step back instead of "demanding that they make it x or shut it down.

Because quite frankly that's trolling.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314

It is Star Wars like.

Just not exactly what some people wanted.  SWG fans wanted that, even though there was no chance Bioware was going that route.

As an ex-Bioware fan, at that time I just wanted KOTOR with some really cool multiplayer options.  Heck, I just wanted KoTOR 3 in reality.  However, I thought the combat would be closer to KoTOR and with that kind of choice of what planets to go through first.  I though there would be more choice out side of dialog. 

Point is, it is Star Wars but most people wanted something different than a WoW clone.  But the games does well enough and Disney seems to think it does well enough as they gave EA free reign for making Star Wars games.

So, who knows what the future holds for SWTOR....

Originally posted by deniromonk

I was obsessed with Anarchy Online, SWG, and DoAC and thought they were the greatest games ever made when I was 9 years old, so much so that the only thing i would ask for at christmass from my parents was game time.

There is 0 exaderation in that statement, does that mean they were made for children and terrible?

No, I think that anything a child "gets into" and I mean "really" gets into is definitely worth it. Because they are taking it for the "fun" and not imbuing it with a lot of issues.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Demmi77

I still think the game is a monumental dissapointment and huge slap in the face to star wars fans but they are trying to improve on it.

how are they trying, I see no evidence

Not one single aspect has been revamped since launch.

If they trash taxis and speeders, extend the maps x 10 and add free atmospheric flight (yes flying mouns) , then I'll say "ok they really improved the gameplay to make it feel more star wars"

I've checked out galactic starfighter infos, great they added another queue up for instance button. Nothing immersive. No hangar to walk into. No open universe to fly around. It is just the continuation of concepts already in the game, pvp arenas

The game is still an MMO...and not having flying mounts is a plus.....just ask WoW players how much flying mounts killed the game.

And BTW....every class already has a starship...with individual hangers to walk around in...and crews......no the new space PVP might not have specific hangers to walk around in....but to try and claim the game itself is lacking them, again shows you are basing your opinion off a few videos, and are now trying to argue with people who have actually put quite a bit of time in the actual game.

I guess I'm the stupid one in this exchange though, I should know better...

I don't care what "killed WoW", flying mounts or not

then dear EA design a Star Wars MMO so flying mounts a.k.a. SPACE SHIPS and SPEEDERS are factored in.

I've had enough of this sort of lame excuses why this or that doesn't work. MAKE IT WORK, or shut it down.

and the player "ships" are useless instances you can do absolutely nothing with it than click on a map or a freakin door.

All smoke and mirrors.

...or have other playes board them with you for shits and giggles...or do starfox movie inspired space combat missions....or practice rotations on target dummies, or initiate companion specific story quests....i could go on...

Let me know when you would like to discuss the actual game, and not some disengenious version you are describing to push your malformed opinion.

Also, tell me how flying mounts would not totally trivilize ground mobs and open world ground PVP....ya....you can't......"MAKE IT WORK" doesnt help validate your argument.

+1

Maybe they will design their next game "just for you"  Doc. 

What you want is irrelevant.    Time to deal with that.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

yes I finally made up my mind, don't know if this is a repost but check this user created video

to me this is the essence of one big thing which is wrong with the whole game!!!!!

if I look at this footage I realize the map design for every planet is like a racing track with barely changing backdrops, yet they force you to go through these bland and blocky environments with SNAIL SPEED on linear railroads

you know if you make bland level design at least let people go through with Star Wars killer speed known from the movies and make the world 10 YES TEN times bigger, then the gameplay could be somehow acceptable.

I bet the engine is still having major issues so EA, either get it fixed and revamp the game or let it go the way of the Dodo.

I have to wonder why did new gamers become so selfish?

Seriously you might dislike the game that's okay, you wished the game was different, again that's okay. You want to make it known what you dislike, again that's okay.

But to wish a game that is played and enjoyed by other gamers to be shut down should be something really really selfish.

In the end I liked the game for about 4 months before I had enough. I have no regrets and even had some fun for the duration I spend playing the game.

It sure isn't the Star Wars MMORPG I imagined it could be. But it is the Star Wars game I expected it to be, regardless my personal wishes.

Speak your mind but keep things like shutting down a game to yourself. Simply doesn't make sense saying so with a game genre is that is played by thousands if not millions of people.

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by Reklaw

Seriously you might dislike the game that's okay, you wished the game was different, again that's okay. You want to make it known what you dislike, again that's okay.

But to wish a game that is played and enjoyed by other gamers to be shut down should be something really really selfish.

In the end I liked the game for about 4 months before I had enough. I have no regrets and even had some fun for the duration I spend playing the game.

It sure isn't the Star Wars MMORPG I imagined it could be. But it is the Star Wars game I expected it to be, regardless my personal wishes.

Speak your mind but keep things like shutting down a game to yourself. Simply doesn't make sense saying so with a game genre is that is played by thousands if not millions of people.

Personally, I wouldn't want to shut it down but since they only license one game at a time, we're stuck waiting till it expires to get a new MMO, and that kinda blows.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Frostvein

Personally, I wouldn't want to shut it down but since they only license one game at a time, we're stuck waiting till it expires to get a new MMO, and that kinda blows.

Not sure if you are aware of this or not but Lucas arts sold all their IP to Disney, and what did Disney do.  They gave the license for all things star wars to guess who.  EA.  So even if they did shut this down there is no way that another gaming company is going to get the license.    So a few months back after Disney decided to go screw all of us.  I since given up on the hope of anything decent coming that remotely resembles star wars. 

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    Originally posted by Frostvein

Not sure if you are aware of this or not but Lucas arts sold all their IP to Disney, and what did Disney do.  They gave the license for all things star wars to guess who.  EA.  So even if they did shut this down there is no way that another gaming company is going to get the license.    So a few months back after Disney decided to go screw all of us.  I since given up on the hope of anything decent coming that remotely resembles star wars. 

I don't know how much I blame EA for the final product in this instance. While I'm sure they had negatively impacted the development in some ways, they threw a ton of money and time into the development. The final design and end result isn't on them.

• RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Whatever we say here, it is still Star Wars.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Trolling much?

If that is Your barometer, then you better go throw Your PC out of the window and find a different hobby.

I just think we take these things waaayyyy too seriously. Here we have someone who can enjoy the game on its terms. Maybe we should all start taking a step back instead of "demanding that they make it x or shut it down.

Alright I get you now :)   And in that sense. I fully agree With you! :)

I learned to enjoy SW:TOR for what it is and have a great time again. Looking forward to Next week.

And for me the speeders go fast enough. Don't want to zoom to the other end of the map in 5 Seconds.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Demmi77

I still think the game is a monumental dissapointment and huge slap in the face to star wars fans but they are trying to improve on it.

how are they trying, I see no evidence

Not one single aspect has been revamped since launch.

If they trash taxis and speeders, extend the maps x 10 and add free atmospheric flight (yes flying mouns) , then I'll say "ok they really improved the gameplay to make it feel more star wars"

I've checked out galactic starfighter infos, great they added another queue up for instance button. Nothing immersive. No hangar to walk into. No open universe to fly around. It is just the continuation of concepts already in the game, pvp arenas

The game is still an MMO...and not having flying mounts is a plus.....just ask WoW players how much flying mounts killed the game.

And BTW....every class already has a starship...with individual hangers to walk around in...and crews......no the new space PVP might not have specific hangers to walk around in....but to try and claim the game itself is lacking them, again shows you are basing your opinion off a few videos, and are now trying to argue with people who have actually put quite a bit of time in the actual game.

I guess I'm the stupid one in this exchange though, I should know better...

I don't care what "killed WoW", flying mounts or not

then dear EA design a Star Wars MMO so flying mounts a.k.a. SPACE SHIPS and SPEEDERS are factored in.

I've had enough of this sort of lame excuses why this or that doesn't work. MAKE IT WORK, or shut it down.

and the player "ships" are useless instances you can do absolutely nothing with it than click on a map or a freakin door.

All smoke and mirrors.

I can see by this comment you know nothing about game design and how it works, you can't make something work, see I do, I work with these game engines every day.  You need to understand what they can and can't do.

I agree I wish the game was different, I wish it was open world and more, they made that mistake, but being in the industry today more than ever, no matter how they made it it would of failed, you know why??? I blog, read alot, and work in the industry and listen to feed back, you people are split in many ways, so its hard to please everyone and impossible , even the majority is hard now a days, atleast back in the day, we could please the majority.

Today its impossible, this is why MMO's will die, most people say this games sucks, well why, its clucky , well how is it, and well it is, they don't explain in detail, what they dislike about a game, or in beta's report bugs they just complain. This is the biggest issue in the industry...   Get in the field and you will see it to.

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248

They should completely remove any sandbox element from the Star Wars IP forever.

It would be very hard to monetize anything sandbox because sandbox usually just means everything open ended and you can craft whatever you want.

There would need to be a hell of a lot of amount of constraints on the Star Wars IP to make *anything* in the future "sandboxy."

I'm officially now an anti-sandbox gamer lol in writing this.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Someone needs to come up with the 12 steps of quitting SWTOR already. So many people go through the same cycles when they realize this game is not what they expected it to be. My 1st step was admitting it was my fault for ignoring what seemed to be at-the-time hardcore trolling by beta testers but actually ended up being cold hard truth. My unwanted advice to you OP is don't waste any more of your precious life hating on a game, there is most likely a better option for you out there.
  • Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Psion33

They should completely remove any sandbox element from the Star Wars IP forever.

It would be very hard to monetize anything sandbox because sandbox usually just means everything open ended and you can craft whatever you want.

There would need to be a hell of a lot of amount of constraints on the Star Wars IP to make *anything* in the future "sandboxy."

Very constructive....

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

So you are saying P2P is the answer?!

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by Xthos

So you are saying P2P is the answer?!

What I'm saying is, I've realized the F2P's newest "push" in the gaming genre is to "ok" their gaming habits by requesting sandbox games where it's "easier" to apply a F2P cash shop (so they think.)

Trolling much?

Alright I get you now :)   And in that sense. I fully agree With you! :)

I learned to enjoy SW:TOR for what it is and have a great time again. Looking forward to Next week.

And for me the speeders go fast enough. Don't want to zoom to the other end of the map in 5 Seconds.

And exactly, I think we've forgotten what it was like to be young and to just get excited because it was "freakin' Star Wars" or "freakin' whatever young kids get excited about. Instead we bring all this baggage to the table and when things don't fit what we want we forget that they can still have merit.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by olepi

I remember playing DAOC over 10 years ago; we had about 50 in the keep we just took, but there were 80 or more coming at us. So perhaps 130 people on the screen at once, a decent but not huge number. Of course, this was TEN YEARS AGO!

Sounds like SWTOR will *never* be able to provide this experience. A giant leap backwards.

Yep I can remember that.

Of course with that many people there was the lag, the screen freezes, raid chat instructions to turn guild emblems off, tag the person in front and to look at the ground or sky - anything to reduce the lag. So SWTOR's PvP at launch did have something in common with DAoC!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by BruceYee
    Someone needs to come up with the 12 steps of quitting SWTOR already. So many people go through the same cycles when they realize this game is not what they expected it to be. My 1st step was admitting it was my fault for ignoring what seemed to be at-the-time hardcore trolling by beta testers but actually ended up being cold hard truth. My unwanted advice to you OP is don't waste any more of your precious life hating on a game, there is most likely a better option for you out there.

Have you ever heard the expression " it could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others " Well it could be that the only reason these people exist is to warn people not to get so involved in a game that you become like this.

I personally would like more from life, but they seem to be happy being an example. In 2015 look for all the same players in the why I hate the new star wars movie threads.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    As an Star Wars MMO, game is garbage. Just move on and hope that EA somehow loses the license in the next 10 years so we can have a proper SW MMO. Until then, just forget about it.
  • akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

Tell me something how is EA or BioWare going to change SWTOR if you make a post about SWTOR on a forums that they dont visit. Its like complaining about the McDonald's Big Mac at a Burger King.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    At this point Bioware is doing damage control because EA forced  them to do stupid crap, Disney is now the owners of anything starwars there for have a say so in what happens with SWTOR, this is good news, I can make a good guess that bioware went to Disney and told them about wth EA is doing. Disney could have threaten EA to take away the licensing if they didnt listen to BIOWARE.

This discussion has been closed.