Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA please decide, either make it really like "Star Wars" or shut it down

DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

yes I finally made up my mind, don't know if this is a repost but check this user created video

http://youtu.be/L1GRn3RB8y0

omg this reminded me of the good old days of Episode 1 racer

to me this is the essence of one big thing which is wrong with the whole game!!!!!

if I look at this footage I realize the map design for every planet is like a racing track with barely changing backdrops, yet they force you to go through these bland and blocky environments with SNAIL SPEED on linear railroads

you know if you make bland level design at least let people go through with Star Wars killer speed known from the movies and make the world 10 YES TEN times bigger, then the gameplay could be somehow acceptable.

I bet the engine is still having major issues so EA, either get it fixed and revamp the game or let it go the way of the Dodo.

Comments

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Either get it (engine) fixed and revamp the game or let it go the way of the Dodo.

They aren't going to do either.

The game is making a profit, so why would they change anything? People keep buying up virtual crap like crazy.

Best thing to do if you disagree with their direction is do what most of the initial population did - quit, and tell them why.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

EA accepted this game was never going to meet expectations a long time ago. They accepted it wasn't the titan they expected and will not become an industry giant.

They're just cycling it until profit turns to loss, then it will shut down.

On the plus side: as a consumer you get reasonably steady content and an OK game in the meantime.

Huge revamps and engine changes? That's something you can expect to never see.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

LOL!  There is a good reason why you cannot go THAT fast in the game.

It's because the vast majority of gamers wouldn't be able to control their speeder on those kind of speeds.

Seconded. They initial thought to have at least 1 million subscribers and release 2 New planets With content a year.

Frequent Level cap raises With continued story... and thus along the road New tiers of Speeder Piloting With increased speeds. 120%, 130%, etc, etc.

The fast travel speeders on planets like Taris and Tatooine go at like 200-250%.  So the game engine can handle it.

• MMOManiacsMMOManiacs Member UncommonPosts: 191

EA please decide, either make it really like "Star Wars" or shut it down

There are plenty of things wrong with this game, but it not being "Star Wars" enough is nowhere near one of them lol.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by deniromonk

There are plenty of things wrong with this game, but it not being "Star Wars" enough is nowhere near one of them lol.

well. one thing is for sure, the speeders in this game are slowers, not speeders like in the movies

the cities seem empty and deserted and very plain, not buzzing with life and traffic like in the movies

nothing ever moves or seems dynamic in game, the twin suns were setting on Tattooine in the movies

so bottomline apart from "lightsabers" there is not much going on which really feels like the movies

Originally posted by JeroKane

It's because the vast majority of gamers wouldn't be able to control their speeder on those kind of speeds.

never played a simple racing game? are 90 year olds playing this game ?

check youtube for episode 1 racer, that was even faster

look at how broad the strrets are in this game there is almost nothing to run into and the game doesn't even have collision detection anyway

it would just be even more apparemt how small and instanced the maps are because at genuine star wars speeds you can run across a planet in probably 2-3 minutes

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

I agree SWTOR doesn't even feel like star-wars to me I mean I played since the Beta, never bought the game because they never listen to feed-back, then I tried many times always removing the game again because it hasn't really improved.

I Love Star-Wars I would love to see a new game released on steam with the Jedi-Knight Series-Battlefront, and TOR series but EA can't develop anything good a new company needs to have the IP.

well. one thing is for sure, the speeders in this game are slowers, not speeders like in the movies

the cities seem empty and deserted and very plain, not buzzing with life and traffic like in the movies

nothing ever moves or seems dynamic in game, the twin suns were setting on Tattooine in the movies

so bottomline apart from "lightsabers" there is not much going on which really feels like the movies

look at how broad the strrets are in this game there is almost nothing to run into and the game doesn't even have collision detection anyway

it would just be even more apparemt how small and instanced the maps are because at genuine star wars speeds you can run across a planet in probably 2-3 minutes

You named 4 things you dont find "Star Wars" enough. i can name tou 100 diff things that makes it more than enough Star Wars. You also keep mentioning the "movies"...you do know that there is more to star wars than just the movies, right? Just lightsabers you say? How about completing the great hunt and gaining the rank of mandalore as a bounty hunter....oh ya I forgot, you are basing your opinion on a video you watched...

Like I said, the game has countless things wrong with it, but lore/not star wars enough is nowhere near one of those things.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

unless you want to code a new engine for them .. you are stuck with "living room" zones.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

I think they're trying to improve the game. PvP in this game could be amazing, and they're focusing on that. They try to add content and I think are realizing that the game needs to be more dynamic, open, etc..

The original idea and development of the game was severely flawed. Hence, the f2p , almost shut down. The story driven, single player feel of swtor is slowly dissapearing as they addmore "social " features to the game.

If they continue to add more things to do other than flashpoints, ops..this game will probably grow. They need a lot of technical adjustments (game has too many loading screens, ui bugs , performance issues, mechanics issues).

I am glad to see the game moving forward. I'll come back for the GS expansion and play for a while. Hopefully they'll add more to keep me around.  I still think the game is a monumental dissapointment and huge slap in the face to star wars fans but they are trying to improve on it.

Originally posted by Demmi77

I still think the game is a monumental dissapointment and huge slap in the face to star wars fans but they are trying to improve on it.

how are they trying, I see no evidence

Not one single aspect has been revamped since launch.

If they trash taxis and speeders, extend the maps x 10 and add free atmospheric flight (yes flying mouns) , then I'll say "ok they really improved the gameplay to make it feel more star wars"

I've checked out galactic starfighter infos, great they added another queue up for instance button. Nothing immersive. No hangar to walk into. No open universe to fly around. It is just the continuation of concepts already in the game, pvp arenas

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157

I still think the game is a monumental dissapointment and huge slap in the face to star wars fans but they are trying to improve on it.

If they trash taxis and speeders, extend the maps x 10 and add free atmospheric flight (yes flying mouns) , then I'll say "ok they really improved the gameplay to make it feel more star wars"

I've checked out galactic starfighter infos, great they added another queue up for instance button. Nothing immersive. No hangar to walk into. No open universe to fly around. It is just the continuation of concepts already in the game, pvp arenas

What you are asking for is not remotely practical.

They have a product that already produces a profit with little to no effort/money required. Why would they suddenly invest an extremely large sum of money into this game? Its not like its going to suddenly get everyone back they lost, and its not going to generate enough interest from new players to cover the cost. The game has been out long enough that anyone who wanted to play it has either done so by now or isn't going to.

Id love if they tore the thing down and started all over, but that isn't going to happen. 

The game is still an MMO...and not having flying mounts is a plus.....just ask WoW players how much flying mounts killed the game....Blizz is all but removing flying mounts in the next expac for max levle players, postponing the ability until well into its first major patch.

And BTW....every class already has a starship...with individual hangers to walk around in...and crews......no the new space PVP might not have specific hangers to walk around in ( we don't know for sure yet),....but to try and claim the game itself is lacking them, again shows you are basing your opinion off a few videos, and are now trying to argue with people who have actually put quite a bit of time in the actual game.

I guess I'm the stupid one in this exchange though, I should know better...

The game is still an MMO...and not having flying mounts is a plus.....just ask WoW players how much flying mounts killed the game.

And BTW....every class already has a starship...with individual hangers to walk around in...and crews......no the new space PVP might not have specific hangers to walk around in....but to try and claim the game itself is lacking them, again shows you are basing your opinion off a few videos, and are now trying to argue with people who have actually put quite a bit of time in the actual game.

I don't care what "killed WoW", flying mounts or not

then dear EA design a Star Wars MMO so flying mounts a.k.a. SPACE SHIPS and SPEEDERS are factored in.

I've had enough of this sort of lame excuses why this or that doesn't work. MAKE IT WORK, or shut it down.

and the player "ships" are useless instances you can do absolutely nothing with it than click on a map or a freakin door.

All smoke and mirrors.

• zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160

I would be happy if they just added a couple very open and large worlds for the sake of open world PVP. The only content needed, would be missions to kill X number of enemy PVPers.

Perhaps even take it a step further and scatter control points across the map/world with resource and crafting bonuses.

The game is still an MMO...and not having flying mounts is a plus.....just ask WoW players how much flying mounts killed the game.

And BTW....every class already has a starship...with individual hangers to walk around in...and crews......no the new space PVP might not have specific hangers to walk around in....but to try and claim the game itself is lacking them, again shows you are basing your opinion off a few videos, and are now trying to argue with people who have actually put quite a bit of time in the actual game.

I don't care what "killed WoW", flying mounts or not

then dear EA design a Star Wars MMO so flying mounts a.k.a. SPACE SHIPS and SPEEDERS are factored in.

I've had enough of this sort of lame excuses why this or that doesn't work. MAKE IT WORK, or shut it down.

and the player "ships" are useless instances you can do absolutely nothing with it than click on a map or a freakin door.

All smoke and mirrors.

...or have other playes board them with you for shits and giggles...or do starfox movie inspired space combat missions....or practice rotations on target dummies, or initiate companion specific story quests....i could go on...

Let me know when you would like to discuss the actual game, and not some disengenious version you are describing to push your malformed opinion.

Also, tell me how flying mounts would not totally trivilize ground mobs and open world ground PVP....ya....you can't......"MAKE IT WORK" doesnt help validate your argument.

Originally posted by zimike

I would be happy if they just added a couple very open and large worlds for the sake of open world PVP. The only content needed, would be missions to kill X number of enemy PVPers.

Perhaps even take it a step further and scatter control points across the map/world with resource and crafting bonuses.

They had EXACTLY that at launch, it was called Ilium....they pretty much shut it down because the engine couldn't support the amount of players gathering at once....THAT is the type of stuff the OP should be complaing about....not speeder speed as if it makes the game "not star wars" lol.

Originally posted by zimike

They had EXACTLY that at launch, it was called Ilium....they pretty much shut it down because the engine couldn't support the amount of players gathering at once....THAT is the type of stuff the OP should be complaing about....not speeder speed as if it makes the game "not star wars" lol.

Ah, dang it!! I wish I wouldn't have missed that! .. oh well.. thanks for the heads up.

I really don't understand why its hard to design an engine to support a large number of players. I remember games like SWG supporting hundreds(500+) in one area. Hell, Asheron's Call from the late 90's could support a large number of players... at least until the portal storming decided it was enough.

They need to fix the performance problems, causing a limited player cap to certain areas.

One idea to make players want to scatter from a certain area, would be to add random orbital strikes that come down on areas of the planet with concentrated players. This would cause players to flee certain areas to reduce server lag and performance for that particular area.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

My feeling about Star Wars SWTOR and Star Trek STO is that they are not horrible bad games. It is just that they occupy the space and IP that could be used to make a really good game. Until they finally go away, nobody will be able to make a really good Star Wars or Star Trek game; and since both are probably making money, they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

SWTOR decided on a very early version of the Hero Engine, and modified it heavily for their own use. There is no way they can replace the engine with something different, so I don't expect any major changes in the game.  Pity, really.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

Originally posted by olepi

My feeling about Star Wars SWTOR and Star Trek STO is that they are not horrible bad games. It is just that they occupy the space and IP that could be used to make a really good game. Until they finally go away, nobody will be able to make a really good Star Wars or Star Trek game; and since both are probably making money, they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

SWTOR decided on a very early version of the Hero Engine, and modified it heavily for their own use. There is no way they can replace the engine with something different, so I don't expect any major changes in the game.  Pity, really.

This is why they should think outside the box. If they cannot modify the engine to handle a large concentration of players, then they need to use the game mechanics available.

Right now, the game seems to handle about 30 people in any given area ok. However, even in an open world setting, they could instance it up a bit for certain areas. If an area starts to receive more then 20 players, they could add third party environment variables that start forcing players out of that area, for example:

- Natural disasters( Earth Quakes, Volcanic activity, lightening storms, radiation levels, etc)

- NPC events(Huge Star Destroyer crashing into the Planet, Orbital Strikes from space, Epic NPC invasion, etc)

- Creatures(Large epic creatures or large groups of creatures that are drawn to large populated areas)

These are just a few ideas off the top of my head that can be used to control the population growing out of control on a open PVP world. Mechanics like this could be used to scatter or drawn in players.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

I remember playing DAOC over 10 years ago; we had about 50 in the keep we just took, but there were 80 or more coming at us. So perhaps 130 people on the screen at once, a decent but not huge number. Of course, this was TEN YEARS AGO!

Sounds like SWTOR will *never* be able to provide this experience. A giant leap backwards.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

Originally posted by olepi

I remember playing DAOC over 10 years ago; we had about 50 in the keep we just took, but there were 80 or more coming at us. So perhaps 130 people on the screen at once, a decent but not huge number. Of course, this was TEN YEARS AGO!

Sounds like SWTOR will *never* be able to provide this experience. A giant leap backwards.

You may be correct.

I've been holding out hope that more real PVP content(Not war fields)  will be added some time in the future, but I feel like I'm just lying to myself.. oh well..

The majority of zones are not build like race tracks! They are build like Mazes to give you the illusion of immersive large zones. This is not a racing game! This is an MMO! Go play that Star Wars POD racing game if you want that.

And who is saying they might not add POD  / swoop race tracks in the future (depending on how well they game continues to be doing).

The game does have collision detection. Just not on NPCs. Or do you imply we are able to walk through crates, walls, trees, pipes, etc?

Mounts in MMO's (and speeders in SW:TOR are no exception) have a capped speed for a reason. They don't want players to zoom by content and abuse the speed and also prevent complaining about how small the zones / planets are, because players zoomed at 500 miles per hour from one end of the map to the other end. /shrug

In old SWG speeders went a bit faster, but that's because all the zones had a simple flat design (to support free housing). This game doesn't have that and actually has pretty amazing designed and interesting looking zones. I rather have that and slower Mount speeds, then larger simple flat designed zones to allow faster Mount speeds.

To each their own.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I know a little girl who is 9 years old and she absolutely adores SWToR. She has many characters and plays it all the time. To her this is a great Star Wars game.

As far as I'm concerned that is barometer enough.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WinterizerWinterizer Member Posts: 65

I have played since launch almost 2 years now, and I still enjoy it.

Originally posted by Sovrath

I know a little girl who is 9 years old and she absolutely adores SWToR. She has many characters and plays it all the time. To her this is a great Star Wars game.

As far as I'm concerned that is barometer enough.

Trolling much?

If that is Your barometer, then you better go throw Your PC out of the window and find a different hobby.

As you can find such example for every single game out there. Good Luck.

This discussion has been closed.