Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much would you actually be willing to pay for your dream MMO?

iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

I was thinking this over and seeing all the long list of features various people want and  the fact is other types of products and services are able to meet niche desires much better than MMOs do, we have luxury restaurants and luxury cars and luxury stereos for example. The catch is that people who want those things understand that they have to pay a lot more than the going mass market price to make it worth it for a company to cater to their desires.

So could a company succeed with a luxury MMO? How much would you be willing to pay for a game that gave you everything you want (within reason)? Personally I think I'd go as high as $50 per month for a game that really entertained me constantly for years. I'm not rich but that actually seems cheap for a month's good quality entertainment.  

Maybe we're doomed to the MMO equivalent of fast food if most people are unwilling to pay anything more than fast food prices.

Comments

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    I was paying $45/month at one time in EQ2 for 3 accounts. I would pay up to $100/month but it would have to be really good, like cable/phone/electricity good.
  • AtlysAtlys Member Posts: 69
    I would really only play it if it was buy-to-play, but I would pay $100 bucks for the game upfront. I don't really like subscription based games because I feel pressured to play the game. If I go a day without playing it, I would feel guilty for wasting money on that day. Plus it's easier to get my friends to try free-to-play or buy-to-play MMOs than trying to get them to play a sub-based game.

On the eternal quest for that one perfect MMO.

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    At least the amount of money I would save by not spending it on other entertainment I do now. Does that make sense?

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

back when i used to play 60+ hrs a week i would have said money is no object

now that i get in 20 hours at most... Buy to play but willing to spend alot of cash upfront

hell - i recently pledged $475 for a board game

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1034852783/shadows-of-brimstone

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    I said money is no object because I can afford to pay whatever I want for a truly phenomenal game, I just don't think that any game company could ever make the game I want because my biggest problem with most games is the community and they cannot fundamentally change the behavior, intelligence and maturity of every single person playing the game.  I'd pay any amount if they could, I'm just not holding my breath.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'd go $45 a month, and $150 up front for setup and first month.  There would be no item shop, which would otherwise preclude it from being my dream MMO.

It wouldn't be an MMORPG by any existing design.  I picture it as a hybrid of a PVE sandbox and a coop-Oblivion, with switching between MMORPG and coop-RPG modes sort of like the Day Night system in AOC.  As such it would provide both gameplay environments, but not at the same time since the two tend to conflict.

Solo Mode:  Personal instanced world with dungeons and overland (Oblivion style)

Coop Mode:  Invite friends into my personal instanced world (or me into theirs) so we can play together

MMORPG Mode:  Public dungeons and public overland, locations not included in personal instanced world

Just a fantasy, but for that I'd be more than willing to shell out extra cash.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    For my dream mmorpg? 50 a month easily. I spend that in a few hours at the bar trying to drink away the sorrows of such a game not existing. 100 would only be a bit much due to justifying such an expense. Short of the devs sending a call girl to my house every time I capture a keep, I can't see that being realistic. 
  • EaglertEaglert Member Posts: 12
    I'd definitely be willing to pay over $100/mo for a great game. Hell, I was reaching over $200/mo when I played F2P games like MapleStory, Spiral Knights, and Realm of the Mad God-sometimes dropping over $500 at a time on the Cash Shop. I'd be willing to pay a monthly sub, but that wouldn't be my 'dream MMO'. Chances are, if a F2P was perfect for me, I'd spend hundreds a month anyway.
  • Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

My dream MMO?

You say with in reason, however, i'm going to go very unreasonable.

A vast universe, virtual in it's entirety. Taste, smell, touch ... all senses would be available to you. You get to customize each variable, though the sense of pain is limited at a cap of 20%. Have any voice you would like, and customize your character fully straight down to each individual hair strand.  Choose a world, fantasy, sci-fi, western or maybe something in between. Don't find a world available that you like? Then create it with our planet generation tools and begin your adventure. You world will become part of the vast universe.

... hmm I would pay several billion dollars if I had that kind of money to create such a thing.

If someone else made it .. I wouldn't mind paying some serious cash to play. Heck .. it probably be the only time I would pay a monthly sub even if it was $50 - 100 a month.

• RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    In the old DarkFall days I had 3 accounts, so I paid $45 per month. I knew about people who had 7 or more accounts.