Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what is multiplayer about STO?

HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517

I see other players as i run around the space station, i see them clouding up when i warp around, but as a solo player just trying this out, i dont see what at all i should tell my friends about when trying to get them to play with me...

if they do, will they just make their own solo experience while i go play mine elsewhere? can people create characters and play together meaningfully? if so, how?

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Join a fleet

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    It's barely an MMO. It just stuck it on there to try to justify the monthly fee at launch.
  • HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Scorchien

Join a fleet

this would fail to motivate my pre existing STO virgin friends.  does your answer imply that there is nothing social about the game unless you raid/pvp with a fleet?

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

When I played there wasnt anything multiplayer about it, aside from just seeing other ships and people on space stations. Just like TSW / SWTOR / GW2   .. its just another scripted single player "mmo",  

If you go into the game with a single player mindset it can be pretty fun, but if you go into it with an MMO mindset you will be greatly dissapointed.  

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    It's been a long time for me, but I believe the difficulty inceases for missions when you group. So you can all do the content together and it will scale. Not sure about the foundry missions though.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I lvl'd from start to finish with 3 friends. We grouped the whole time and did every mission together.  The game doesn't force you to group, but it doesn't try and stop you from grouping either. I don't like the game and think it's one of the more shallow mmos but ...I didn't solo at all in it.

Weird that this topic comes up so often. Just because a game doesn't force you to do something doesn't mean there is no point to doing it. I really don't understand this mentality. Why is something no longer fun if they give you a choice...what does that say about you ?

• HosaninHosanin Member Posts: 3

As sad as it is, people do not understand anything beyond "You HAVE to do this or that" in a game. STO offers players a chance to join up with people so that they can get better exp, drops, and can complete class specific accolades. For example, the very first mission you run where you need to save the Azura, as a science officer you can heal the wounded crew as you go through, engineering can place a force field around the warp core, and tactical can use a terminal to make life a lot easier while getting off the ship by killing one of two groups of Orions. You get an accolade for each of those you complete that you couldn't get any other way. Each character you create has their own set list of accolades so it doesn't even work to make a new character.

So again, joining a team gets you:

-Better Loot

-Better EXP

-Class Specific Accolades.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I lvl'd from start to finish with 3 friends. We grouped the whole time and did every mission together.  The game doesn't force you to group, but it doesn't try and stop you from grouping either.

That sounds like a COOP game. Not an MMO.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Regosichar

I see other players as i run around the space station, i see them clouding up when i warp around, but as a solo player just trying this out, i dont see what at all i should tell my friends about when trying to get them to play with me...

if they do, will they just make their own solo experience while i go play mine elsewhere? can people create characters and play together meaningfully? if so, how?

Meaningfully, not really no.

But as someone else said you can group with 3 other people(could be 4) to do the story quests but they just replace the ai crew and it's easier to do this solo.  Other than that the gear grind is group only and having a perm group will help if you want to do elites and if you have a full group you won't have to put up with the afkers etc for the standard instances.

STO is the standard solo to max then force grouping instance social model.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    The part where you form a group with other people.
    heh yeah thats what I was kinda thinkin.
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    The part where you form a group with other people.

group-forming..ohh yeaaaa

GROUP ME , BABY...HARDER