Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: Taking the Hits

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Late this week, Trion's CEO, Scott Hartsman, headed over to ArcheAge Source to chat with the community about the localization efforts for the North American / European version of the game. We take a look at what Hartsman had to say and offer a little analysis. Check it out before leaving your thoughts in the comments.

Taking my analogy of the tank and the inexperienced mage aside, let's go to the Scott Hartsman Q&A. Hartsman explains the delay as a function of Trion giving some breathing room to XLGames so it can complete its existing set of tasks. From a producer's point of view (as opposed to a gamer's point of view), the patience to wait for the best time to move forward is a necessary step to ensure a better final product.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s ArcheAge: Taking the Hits.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AtadisAtadis Member Posts: 56
    I've been onboard with the English version of Archeage since day 1, but as time goes on I hate to say it but their window has closed. I've been one of those who thought I'd never jump ship on this game but I'm almost ready to move on. Not because I'm impatient though, but because better things are coming much sooner. Trion really could have took the next wave of MMO's by storm but instead all I've seen is a Minecraft/Cubeworld knockoff that I probably won't play. There's still a part of me that hopes we get this great game before everyone's interest in it dissipates but I don't think it's happening. Trion keeps spouting the same unclear, avoiding answers to anything about Archeage. I really want to play this game but as of now I've stopped anticipating anything from Trion and am not getting my hopes up....maybe one day :)
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Atadis
     I hate to say it but their window has closed. I've been one of those who thought I'd never jump ship on this game but I'm almost ready to move on. Not because I'm impatient though, but because better things are coming much sooner.

Yeah, but doesn't that mean you would have left anyway because of the better things?

The way I look at it is that the "games are the games and they are what they are" and they are not even a consideration until they are available.

It is at that time I will make my decision "if" I was interested in the first place.

If Trion and XL games never told anyone about this but "all of a sudden" they said "hey we have this game and we are releasing it in 4 months" then the game would have been taken on its own merits at the time of release.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Informer80Informer80 Member Posts: 91

Game over, Trion Worlds!

Wrong decisions, wrong payment system, no talk to the existing community, not interested at all!

• blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129
    There's not much to really say about this. Either it launches and does well, or it doesn't. I don't really care any more. If it does launch, and I'm not involved with something else, I may give it a look. While I'm a fan of Pay to Play, I doubt I'd pay anything to get this. If it's free, then maybe have a look like I said. I am removing it from my "Games being watched" list. Just don't care.

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
    Games being watched:  Project Genom
    Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Agreed, loosing interest. Dropped off the radar.

• DarthMooskaDarthMooska Member UncommonPosts: 146
    EQNext has taken over my interest from Archeage. There are plenty of other games coming out which probably have also stolen other gamer's interest as well.

I derive my strength from passion. Do you feel that? That is what seperates you and I, Jedi!

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794

I dont care as long as the game is not released unfinished. Good game is good as long as its not looking old.

There where to many games released that easily could use another half a year of work. A lot of people dont comes back to games like that even if they they get finally fixed.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Reading peoples reply to me, sounds like spoiled brats, if you didn't care at all, you would of ignore the thread all together. This shows me more and more how spoiled people act. If they release and  its to early, you people would whine that its broke, but if you don't get it, then you whine.

My 5 year old acts better than this.

• AtadisAtadis Member Posts: 56
    Not necessarily I  just mean that other games are going to get more attention from me when they release before this. When these new games release I'm going to play them and it's gonna be difficult to juggle Archeage in the mix is all. I just feel as though if Archeage were to be here before these games it'd hold my attention a little more. I'd have more time to get into it and if it's going to be F2P I could manage how I'm going to play better. I don't hate Trion I just feel like speed was a factor in the localization of this particular game. Do I want all of my games rushed. NO. Should this one be taking so long yes and no. Trion has fallen silent on the project and that's not a good way to keep people interested in your upcoming releases. They're just making bad decisions in my opinion. But of course I'm still going to keep tabs on AA, it just isn't high on my radar anymore.
  • OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal

Reading peoples reply to me, sounds like spoiled brats, if you didn't care at all, you would of ignore the thread all together. This shows me more and more how spoiled people act. If they release and  its to early, you people would whine that its broke, but if you don't get it, then you whine.

My 5 year old acts better than this.

Welcome to reality. If a company hypes their game and then sits on it, of course people are going to get upset. It's stupid to believe that people are going to sit and wait when dealing with something in a flooded market. MMOs are a dime a dozen and companies shouldn't have any expectation to believe that their fans or MMO fans in general will not be vocally annoyed. Also, anyone who actually believes that Trion is going out of their way to fix the game or improve it just for the English speaking audience is completely naive. Like how EnMasse said they were improving Tera for the NA audience. Derp. Translation is translation, quit acting like it is anything more. 

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

am not as hyped for this game as I used to be, but that said right here right now aint really playing anything, that I wouldnt drop for spend some time in AA, do enjoy FFXIV but dont feel the staying power from it...and doubt the next game on me "to play list" will have either - EQN: landmark.

still when looking at current released games AA aint too late yet imo

• rpg-maniacrpg-maniac Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I agree with most comments once upon a time about more than a year ago I wanted to play this game not anymore, my interest fade away in the end, years pass & still this game didn't launch on US/EU, now I have other games to anticipate & something tells me we will get them sooner than AA, it's not worth to w8 for this game anymore, when a localization of an MMORPG  takes 2-3 years they don't expect for ppl to have the same interest as when they check it for the first time aren't they? it's their fault that this game won't have the same impact when it finally launch like a year or 2 ago.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

From the article:

On the vast majority of things that an average customer would care about, which a lot of the time boils down to “How fun is the game?”,

I don't think he completed the sentence, it should end with how much money will someone have to spend in the cash shop over a sub model to chase that "fun" and to be competitive in game for both PVE and PVP.

My guess is allot more unless you have the patience of Jobe and the live span of god (combined).  Otherwise like every game that is  F2P at launch, be prepared to open your wallet WIDE.  The only exception to this rule ever, is a sub game that converted to F2P buy kept their sub in place.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    Originally posted by DarthMooska
    EQNext has taken over my interest from Archeage. There are plenty of other games coming out which probably have also stolen other gamer's interest as well.

+1

hyped the the game for loooong time and still not even CB.... by the time AA is relased...i wont be interested anymore.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    If they aren't giving us information, though, how do they know what they are doing is even wanted?
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Originally posted by Atadis
    I've been onboard with the English version of Archeage since day 1, but as time goes on I hate to say it but their window has closed. I've been one of those who thought I'd never jump ship on this game but I'm almost ready to move on. Not because I'm impatient though, but because better things are coming much sooner. Trion really could have took the next wave of MMO's by storm but instead all I've seen is a Minecraft/Cubeworld knockoff that I probably won't play. There's still a part of me that hopes we get this great game before everyone's interest in it dissipates but I don't think it's happening. Trion keeps spouting the same unclear, avoiding answers to anything about Archeage. I really want to play this game but as of now I've stopped anticipating anything from Trion and am not getting my hopes up....maybe one day :)

AA builded up insane amount of hype.

A sandbox with housing and open world pvp....
    Its what alot of people are waiting for....since a long time after all those failed themepark mmo's that were basicly dead on arival.

But it seems AA isnt realy going forward, at least not on a healty pace.
    They are loosing momentum repidly by the fans and people who were getting interested in AA.

Thats kinda sad as the genre realy needs fresh blood on a competitive level.
    AA brought that vibe back to alot of players but failed to deliver.....
    Its taking way to long to release, there isnt even a release date announced for the West.

Its not to late if the game lives up and suprise the mmo market.
    But how long before release ?
    2014 ? 2015 ? 2016 ?

There is many change incomming in the next 3 or 4 years, i hope all that effort Trion is making isnt to late.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Trion is on it's last legs.  This is what happens when you're better at raising and conning money out of folks rather than making games.  Since when does a video game company need the funds from teachers pensions?  None of this is new though the writing's been on the wall since Rift development.  Remember back then they were working on this amazing server tech and Rift was just going to be the game to sell it?  Look at all the games using that amazing tech.....

I'm not saying they're going out of business tomorrow but they're second tier devs better at speaking and selling an idea than actually developing and realizing one.

Steam: Neph

• Dwarfman420Dwarfman420 Member Posts: 207

After waiting and being somewhat baited this long... ya.

Like Phantasy Star Online 2, Archeage can get go die silently in it's own filth for all I care.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    There is something probably wrong with it or they would have released it already. 
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Even if the game isn't released for another 2 years here, its still a far better game than most of what is coming out soon...no themepark like TESO or Wildstar can touch it, perhaps EQ Landmark will be able to because of the building features, same with Shroud of the Avatar.

Other than that, its better its released right, then rushed.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by nttajira

What you get from that ? Hype your game when the game will release in less that 6 months or max one year. 

First people got hyped, then you can make them wait MAX 3-4 months, and a kind of beta.

And how long ago was TESO announced? Oh yeah...

Its normal for an MMO to be hyped well over a year before release...Hell, SWTOR was hyped for several YEARS...I was in its BETA over a YEAR before it opened up to the general public.

Seems to me the people complaining were never interested in the game in the first place and are acting as if games like TESO and Wildfire are somehow going to take them away as if they are even remotely similar games. Themeparks don't steal away Sandbox players.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287
    I had huge hopes for this game from chewing through skill trees that were released, to figuring out how I want my character to play and interact with others. That was until I actually played the game. Not saying the game is bad or will fail, but it just isn't what I thought it was going to be. Not as much of a sandbox as I wanted and hoped. Looks like Wildstar will be my next home since there's no good sandbox/sandparks coming out, that is if it's as good as it seems.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

The most heavilly awaited games are generally the vague, far in the future productions that have little concrete information;  so that every fan can fill in the misty parts with their own little fantasy.   As they get closer to release, the hard facts of reality cause folks to bail and move on to the next smoke obscured chimera.  

The hype meter on this site pretty much follows that pattern.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Few things...

1 i NEVER like seeing the term "concrete".You cannot ever have concrete dates.Testing is,a chance to test AND FIX or change to meet the customers satisfaction.It is not just dates for the sake of setting dates then go with it no matter the game's condition or the customer's reaction.

2 I hope the Dolphin mounts are not finished,the animation is a bit off .

I don't know the marketing research but did anyone do some when determining to put more Panda looking stuff in a game.Like was that any kind of a successful idea in Wow,if  so i guess i can see why then,but if not ,then why?From what i saw the reaction to Panda's in Wow were not received well over here,so why would Trion think,"ok this is a great video to market this game over here".../sigh.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Wizardry

From what i saw the reaction to Panda's in Wow were not received well over here,so why would Trion think,"ok this is a great video to market this game over here".../sigh.

If you are judging what is "well-received" by what you read on this site, then...lol.