Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anything on hacks being fixed?

samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

My 1st month expired the day people were being robbed of their GILs while walking around the marketplace boards (so roughly 10 days ago)

Due to all the fuss, I haven't resubbed on that day but no matter how hard I try, I've never seen any official statement about:

1. Yes, we are actively banning botters
  2. Yes, there's a right-click ignore->report goldspam in the chat
  3. Yes, our client/server technology has been updated so the data stream is safe from packet injection or whatever other crazy cheat is out there that makes some people insta-everything
  4. Yes, the money you play for your sub are being used to fix the above 3 points, we are aware of this, and the deadline is <insert date>
So, for you people still in-game and since official forums are silent on this matter, have you noticed any difference on the above? has the game been purged of all these plagues?

Mainly: is it "safe" now to resub, or it's still a cheat-fest?

Thanks for the kind souls who will take the time to reply - possibly with some evidence.

Comments

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    The first two cannot be resolved... in any game.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/f74fa1f84a019ef47399088c7aa461e650062567

An example of a fix that they did immediately following the discovery of an exploit where people were having their gil taken.

Most of the problems you listed were dealt with in a similar fashion, immediately, unceremoniously, and completely.

You can see them all in the maintenance section of the lodestone website.

As to the right click to block people, that is coming in 2.1 they've announced that as a feature.

The gold spammers?  SE has a 'special task force' that is assigned to solely combat RMT, they are the best in the industry.

So I'd say that addresses all your issues.

Edit:  It was never a 'cheat' fest, not sure where you got that impression, or why you'd think that.  They stated less than 200 accounts had their gil stolen from the recent exploit, a tiny number.  http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/01985a5bbaf1346955e8e60230057fdd6d4e76ec

Here is some info on the special task force, and some data on how much they've done so far.  http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/3cadabe5b5498790e6abc2f8fc33498e43afd6f4

And here is the right click to blacklist feature  http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/87933-Petition-Right-Click-B-List?p=1353403#post1353403

So I guess the reason you didn't see the things you wanted addressed was because you didn't look very hard?  Sorry to be annoyed by your post but you essentially ask the community to do a bit of homework for you, and source it.  All I did was google and found the answers you asked for.  Well, here ya go, sourced and everything.

• danefahlerdanefahler Member UncommonPosts: 22

I haven't seen any "teleporting" gatherers in a long time.  However, I highly doubt they could fix this and more likely, those people are all 50

I think to fix that would be a decent amount of work on the engine itself.  The game relies so heavily on the client side. 

I am not sure if encrypting the packets direct from application to server would resolve it or not.  And if so, what new load would it bring to the servers.

Originally posted by danefahler

I haven't seen any "teleporting" gatherers in a long time.  However, I highly doubt they could fix this and more likely, those people are all 50

I think to fix that would be a decent amount of work on the engine itself.  The game relies so heavily on the client side. 

I am not sure if encrypting the packets direct from application to server would resolve it or not.  And if so, what new load would it bring to the servers.

Source please?

Edit:  If you use teleporting hacks in games (in WoW and FFXI)  they could detect those, and ban those accounts, I'm sure they can in FFXIV as well.  The special task force lets people do things, bad things, then they see how those people spread their money, and see the people who buy the illgotten gains.  Then they ban everyone involved in one massive swoop.  That is their MO.  That is how you kill infection, that is how you get rid of terrorist cells, that is how you get rid of the RMT effectively.

The special task force knows what they are doing, and they will get everyone who cheats.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by danefahler I haven't seen any "teleporting" gatherers in a long time.  However, I highly doubt they could fix this and more likely, those people are all 50 I think to fix that would be a decent amount of work on the engine itself.  The game relies so heavily on the client side.  I am not sure if encrypting the packets direct from application to server would resolve it or not.  And if so, what new load would it bring to the servers.
    Source please? 

Edit:  If you use teleporting hacks in games (in WoW and FFXI)  they could detect those, and ban those accounts, I'm sure they can in FFXIV as well.  The special task force lets people do things, bad things, then they see how those people spread their money, and see the people who buy the illgotten gains.  Then they ban everyone involved in one massive swoop.  That is their MO.  That is how you kill infection, that is how you get rid of terrorist cells, that is how you get rid of the RMT effectively.

The special task force knows what they are doing, and they will get everyone who cheats.

This goes with what I have heard via in game chatter as well:

Lots of people were complaining that they would report bots/spammers/cheaters/etc, and they wouldn't be banned immediately.

The Task Force doesn't necessarily ban anyone immediately (unless it's a extreme threat to the game, like the marketplace gil theft hack). They wait until they have enough information on who all is doing it, how widespread it is, and exactly how they are doing it. Then the swoop in with a fix, they ban everyone who was involved, and that prevents the ridiculous cycle of banning people one at a time only to have them pop right back up on a new account.

Now, the marketplace theft hack was serious. And they took the servers down immediately to fix that. I don't know of anyone personally who got their gil taken (I didn't even see any reports of any on my server at all) - it was a very few number of accounts by all accounts. Maybe one of those people can hop on and say so (or ask on Reddit or the S/E forums, they tend to be a bit more active than the this forum).

All in all - there are way less spammers than there used to be. I still see some bots running around, but every hotfix I see fewer. I smile a little when I see the patch notes say "Banned XXXX accounts for this or that" because it shows the Task Force is working. Just don't expect immediate gratification. Patience pays off.

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

Edit:  It was never a 'chest' fest, not sure where you got that impression, or why you'd think that.  They stated less than 200 accounts had their gil stolen from the recent exploit, a tiny number.  http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/01985a5bbaf1346955e8e60230057fdd6d4e76ec

Here is some info on the special task force, and some data on how much they've done so far.  http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/3cadabe5b5498790e6abc2f8fc33498e43afd6f4

And here is the right click to blacklist feature  http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/87933-Petition-Right-Click-B-List?p=1353403#post1353403

Thanks for your reply :)

I am aware about the "manual dealing" for the gil-stealing hack, I've been following that communication to decide if their response was worth my money and well, didn't convince me enough. They can say 200, could be 20.000 or 20, customer base will never know the truth.

The fact that SE admitted there was a problem but *NEVER* posted anything about fixing the root cause is quite suspicious: in case it happens again "sorry folks, after all we never said it was fixed, nor that we added couple server checks - we just said we banned someone and our CSR returned the stolen money"

As per the question you edited in:

• I've seen dozens of teleport miners warping around the nodes and mining inside nodes up until the first week of november (frustrating to gather manually to sell HQ mats, and then see these bots stocking up on those..). No clue if they still there, that's why I asked if anything has been done about it. Apparently, not ?
    • I've also seen people insta-leveling professions right in my face due to "injecting sh*t" in their data stream (or whatever they were doing), could see the leveling spam in the log;
    That's where I got my impression, first hand cheat fest right in my face: personally I find these technical flaws unacceptable in a sub-based game that even had to be relaunched: money clearly isn't going into content, so I expect my sub to fund prompt fixes of security holes (not some lame apologies - that's what F2P companies do, not pay2play).

Regarding the "task force operation": that link is outdated. I found the task force operation quite useless as I've been playing 07/10 -> 07/11. RMT spam was off the roof and blocking them quite cumbersome.
    So since I considered that information outdated and useless, I asked the community - sorry if it annoyed you.

Righ-click -> block: 2.1 - well seriously? a minor UI addition has to wait a major content patch?

Apologies if someone feels annoyed by questions that I considered legitimate, due to the fact the information available is dated before I was even playing or happening while I was playing: I asked if anybody was aware of any major changes related to those issues in the past 10 days. Apparently, there's nothing new about those in the past 10 days.

Seems like in my case it's better to wait for 2.1 and see what happens then, before even considering re-subbing - thanks for info on the current status, I'll hold on my money until I personally consider SE worth supporting.
    [mod edit]

There are actually very active organized RMT going after this game, because.... it's a sub game!

There are so few left that they all jumped on this one when they had a chance. When you are a large business then you will be noticed if you are doing high volume trading. 

That is who they are getting, they people buying and selling in high volume.  If you check out the link I posted about the Special Task Force it mentions 500ish accounts being banned, but an obscene amount of gil being removed from the economy.

That is what is happening, large companies are trading large amounts often, and being caught.

Originally posted by samvenice

Edit:  It was never a 'chest' fest, not sure where you got that impression, or why you'd think that.  They stated less than 200 accounts had their gil stolen from the recent exploit, a tiny number.  http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/01985a5bbaf1346955e8e60230057fdd6d4e76ec

Thanks for your reply :)

I am aware about the "manual dealing" for the gil-stealing hack, I've been following that communication to decide if their response was worth my money and well, didn't convince me enough. They can say 200, could be 20.000 or 20, customer base will never know the truth.

The fact that SE admitted there was a problem but *NEVER* posted anything about fixing the root cause is quite suspicious: in case it happens again "sorry folks, after all we never said it was fixed, nor that we added couple server checks - we just said we banned someone and our CSR returned the stolen money"

As per the question you edited in:

• I've seen dozens of teleport miners warping around the nodes and mining inside nodes up until the first week of november (frustrating to gather manually to sell HQ mats, and then see these bots stocking up on those..). No clue if they still there, that's why I asked if anything has been done about it. Apparently, not ?
    • I've also seen people insta-leveling professions right in my face due to "injecting sh*t" in their data stream (or whatever they were doing), could see the leveling spam in the log;
    That's where I got my impression, first hand cheat fest right in my face: personally I find these technical flaws unacceptable in a sub-based game that even had to be relaunched: money clearly isn't going into content, so I expect my sub to fund prompt fixes of security holes (not some lame apologies - that's what F2P companies do, not pay2play).

Regarding the "task force operation": that link is outdated. I found the task force operation quite useless as I've been playing 07/10 -> 07/11. RMT spam was off the roof and blocking them quite cumbersome.
    So since I considered that information outdated and useless, I asked the community - sorry if it annoyed you.

Righ-click -> block: 2.1 - well seriously? a minor UI addition has to wait a major content patch?

Apologies if someone feels annoyed by questions that I considered legitimate, due to the fact the information available is dated before I was even playing or happening while I was playing: I asked if anybody was aware of any major changes related to those issues in the past 10 days. Apparently, there's nothing new about those in the past 10 days.

Seems like in my case it's better to wait for 2.1 and see what happens then, before even considering re-subbing - thanks for info on the current status, I'll hold on my money until I personally consider SE worth supporting.

All of your questions have been answered, they don't ban teleporters right away, it's highly detectable, they will let them do that and then ban them later, same thing with instant leveling, very detectable.

Yes, a minor feature like right clicking to block IS going to be on a patch and not hotfixed, sorry you think the gil spam is out of control, I've only seen one spammer in the past week, and that was when I teleported to Ul'dah.  ONE.

The task force info is not outdated... did you read it?  The task force has been around for oh... 5 years now.

What about 10 days?  are you serious? 

The first link I posted was about THE SPECIFIC PROBLEM YOU POSTED!

Also, YoshiP directly addressed your issue.  http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/f74fa1f84a019ef47399088c7aa461e650062567

Yoship's direct address to your EXACT problem was 9 days ago, which is less than 10 days.  So again, I'm not sure where your problem is, but it seems like it may be between the keyboard, and the chair.

• MattatronMattatron Member Posts: 226

I personally feel from my own experience with this game you're going a bit overboard defending it. The game's security is below average and their "investigations" are blanket acts with no regard for honest players caught in the middle.

I don't blame you for liking the game. I like the game. I just won't play it because I got burned for no reason. Honestly, and I'm not kidding, I hope you don't get burned by the hacks or the employees' ineptitude. It's not a pleasant experience, and then to have hundreds of people say, "oh, your account must have been compromised" or "it was only (x) number of people" or "you're lying, you were cheating", doesn't help matters.

Originally posted by Mattatron

I personally feel from my own experience with this game you're going a bit overboard defending it. The game's security is below average and their "investigations" are blanket acts with no regard for honest players caught in the middle.

I don't blame you for liking the game. I like the game. I just won't play it because I got burned for no reason. Honestly, and I'm not kidding, I hope you don't get burned by the hacks or the employees' ineptitude. It's not a pleasant experience, and then to have hundreds of people say, "oh, your account must have been compromised" or "it was only (x) number of people" or "you're lying, you were cheating", doesn't help matters.

I wouldn't wish ill on others like you are.

I won't have a problem, as I have an authenticator, have had one since 2010.

I didn't claim 'x' number of people had their accounts hacked, the makers of the game did, and they are the only people who would know.

Sorry but rallying against 'authority' for the sake of it is really silly, it gets you nowhere, I'm sorry your account was compromised, I'd suggest getting an authenticator.

Your account is your responsibility, the people who were hacked can have their things restored via GM which was what I posted as well.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I didn't claim 'x' number of people had their accounts hacked, the makers of the game did, and they are the only people who would know.

Sorry but rallying against 'authority' for the sake of it is really silly, it gets you nowhere, I'm sorry your account was compromised, I'd suggest getting an authenticator.

Your account is your responsibility, the people who were hacked can have their things restored via GM which was what I posted as well.

Would you please point out for those who aren't so keen on defending the game where he "wished ill" on you or somone else?

Harbinger of Fools
    Originally posted by Dakeru

Would you please point out for those who aren't so keen on defending the game where he "wished ill" on you or somone else?

Nor was my account compromised. I was disconnected from game to be told I was suspended pending review, and was given back my account 6.5 days later.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    OP clearly doesn't want to like the game, and is looking for reasons not to. Probably shouldn't take the bait.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    To solve gold spammer problems limit trade and sell in game subscription tokens which can be traded so you can have legalised gold buying that's the only 2 things which solve or atleast severly limit gold traders.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• milwalmilwal Member UncommonPosts: 65

"that is how you get rid of terrorist cells"

lol i hope they do a better job than the MOD

Sure, see highlighted section, while it could have been him being genuine, it could also have been him being negative and wishing ill, depending on the tone.

If he was being genuine then Fantastic, if not, then shame.

Originally posted by emperorwings
    To solve gold spammer problems limit trade and sell in game subscription tokens which can be traded so you can have legalised gold buying that's the only 2 things which solve or atleast severly limit gold traders.

The special task force has successfully limited or eliminated RMT for years now on FFXI, which had a rampant RMT problem.

Now that they are working on 14 I am confident in their abilities, their record speaks for itself and it is readily obtainable for anyone who can google.

STF will get you if you use RMT services, or if you are an RMT.  I have no doubt.

Sure, see highlighted section, while it could have been him being genuine, it could also have been him being negative and wishing ill, depending on the tone.

Why should people take your word for things? You can't even apologize when you so blatantly screw up.

Why should people take your word for things? You can't even apologize when you so blatantly screw up.

Do you need me to say I'm sorry for thinking your words were negative?  I'm sorry.

I'd like an apology for saying I 'blatantly screwed up' and for you saying that I shouldn't have my words 'trusted'.

Read what you said, it is understandable to think what you said was negative, because frankly the entire statement had a negative tone.  Then you personally attack me when I ask you to please be polite to others.

Why should I bother responding to personal attacks and unfounded criticisms?

I'm not accountable to you, I don't have enough hours in the day to care about every peanut gallery person who can't be bothered to use google to prove their point or to disprove mine. 

To you I say good day sir.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Do you need me to say I'm sorry for thinking your words were negative?  I'm sorry.

I'd like an apology for saying I 'blatantly screwed up' and for you saying that I shouldn't have my words 'trusted'.

Read what you said, it is understandable to think what you said was negative, because frankly the entire statement had a negative tone.  Then you personally attack me when I ask you to please be polite to others.

Why should I bother responding to personal attacks and unfounded criticisms?

I'm not accountable to you, I don't have enough hours in the day to care about every peanut gallery person who can't be bothered to use google to prove their point or to disprove mine. 

To you I say good day sir.

We don't know? You have responded several times by now to posts which mention personal experiences a while back but apparently first hand experiences count as "unfounded criticism"

Also he never attacked you personally you just negated what actually said.

Harbinger of Fools
  • yueamyenyueamyen Member Posts: 31
    The afk teleporting mining/gathering asshats are still there. >.<