Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

X-Rebirth is it fun so far?

AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874

Hey guys,

So I bought this game on steam but wouldn't you know it my home internet is down until tom or maybe Sunday at the latest.

So my question is has it been fun so far for those that bought it? I'm trying to watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkzbSU9GVq0 on my phone but it is taking forever i get maybe one minute of video fro 5 minutes of buffering lol.

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    The only thing bad so far to me with it are the voice acting and character models/animations. 
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

4.5 metacritic  User score atm

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/x-rebirth

The UI is probably the biggest barrier to the game for me.  That seems to be a universal "issue"

EDIT: There are issues with some tutorial missions   Note: save often; save early  F5 is your friend.  Some people have recommended you set your watch to 10-15 minute timer and hit f5 every time it goes off as a poor mans auto-save.  Sadly that's actually pretty good advice as more than a few mission just hang :(  Oddly enough the only 2 crashes I experienced were while manually saving, so hit F5 b4 doing that as well.

Also the rare skin disease that everyone in the galaxy seems to have is distracting.

Random NPC's hopping up and down when you get near them can lead to jokes at first then just another annoyance.

Combat can be "interesting" without effective references. not bad per say but definitely something to get used too.

The first mod to this game will probably be a muzzle for your co-pilot. :D

Some people have really bad performance/crashes (I dodged that one phew)

There seems to be a good game here, but there are a few barriers to get through first.  Once the patch cycle gets good and started and even more when the mod community steps it will probably be a gem.  For now just squint.

Edited to note the meta score was the user critiques.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Game is actually currently some kind of POS....a friend of mine did buy it so we played together for a while. I cant recommand to buy this game at the moment, this game feels like a beta. Wait for more patches and watch the community reactions.

The game feels like it was made for consoles and not for PC, you cant even use a Joystick. The Graphics are not really that great, especially inside your ship, you cant look around in your ship and a lot of your screen is blocked from ship details, i did not even see an ingame map,  the characters look ..uhm not really 2013, there are a lot of bugs, performance issues , there are highways where you can fast travel and its actually quiete disturbing too watch for longer at the green color with a strong flashing light...I dont like to travel with highways at all. There is no 3rd person view, so it can be a little more tricky with space combat and without the option to look around in your cockpit.

And last but not least the game plays different in comparison to the previous X-series, dont expect the same.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I am a huge x fan and for some reason I held off on this one.  It seemed like they were trying to do too much with it to get new players interested (and who can blame them).  A friend did buy it who is also a big fan and he is shelving it for now and will check back in a few months.

Personally I would wait for 6 months+ and then it should be a solid game.  I want to play it the way it was meant to be.  There ar a few reviewer articles that suggest it was very rushed at the end.  I am going back and playing X3 AP.

I will likely pick it up if it comes up at 50% off during Steam's X-mas sale. . X-mas :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

I'm having a good time with it, however it has many issues aside from repeating interior stations, bad models and the like. For me it a lot more immersive (having turned off voices) then the previous games in the series.

I love being able to play the elusive space weed dealer. Plutach Mining Corp can't hold me back.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    By the way, the highway traveling with annoying flashing lights has a gimmick which is "tailgating", your already limited view blocked by cockpit parts is almost totally blocked by another ship in front of you...I really dont understand what they were thinking, the game was in development for 7 years.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I  played X2 and liked it a lot, had no clue whatsoever about the game, what I had to do or how things worked, but still had a lot of fun just flying around and exploring.

Tried X3:Terran Conflict after they promised to make things better for starters. But in my opinion, they made it much harder. For the few short hours of play that I managed to play it, I was constantly checking botch ingame guides and wiki's for some function that was apparently not worth explaining. All the while you were getting shooped and whooped by swarms of enemies.

Dunno about this one, as the one review on metacritic mentions: Egosoft often does this thing of releasing a game in a state where only the hardcore can enjoy it before gradually turning it into something the rest of us can appreciate as well.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    Devs said they will release a patch that fixes the bugs in a couple of weeks.  So wait till then before picking it up.  This game is fun without the bugs.
  • MattatronMattatron Member Posts: 226

Some docks have a barracks room with 2 short rows of facing lockers. Be careful to back out of the way as you open either side because you can become trapped, and you have to load last save.

Yeh, I got stuck in a locker.

Ok to better answer your question now that I have 40+ hours under the belt

short answer: invest in 1-2 CS/Early access titles.  You will get 2 titles for cheaper with a similar state of development

A little longer

Not going into bugs as has been noted ego is noted for releasing buggy games. 

No radar...in a space sim.....with dogfights and 6 axis enviro.....DOS games had that....sigh

No wingman/fleet commands worth mentioning in a game that promotes fleet building...sigh

No targeting commands of any type....again basic sim (space or flight) functionality since the DOS era

No free look.......How does one produce something with less basic functionality than 20+ yr old DOS titles that you needed memmaker just to run?

The station interaction is ok the first time you see a map; by the umpteenth time running around the same exact set-up looking for a particular npc/crew member one begins looking for other communication options, even two cans on a string.  Apparently  however in the future broadcast communications don't work anymore.  One of the most popular mods atm is one that completely removes the whole walking in stations concept.

Ditto the HUGE real estate area flight deck that takes up roughly 1/3 of the screen, compounded of course by the afore mentioned free look, or lack thereof. 

The UI is still imho the biggest barrier to getting into this game, in the quest for "accessibility" scrapping most/all UI elements that were tried & true monikers of an X game; it managed to pretty much succeed in being cumbersome, unintuitive, tedious, or just broken from the most hardcore diehard x-fan, to the most inebriated, ADD console based drive-by gamer.  I really can't figure out what type of demographic they were aiming for as I've never seen a single individual let alone a marketable demographic that could enjoy it.

The various types of parasite drones you can employ is actually a pretty neat concept however very little of the game requires or rewards their use.  I't  is often simpler/faster to perform combat actions oneself.

The hack variant makes your player ship vulnerable and non-responsive to any Tom Dick or Harry that comes around wanting to pick a fight.  Your co-pilot is there for poorly textured cleavage and a big mouth, nothing more.

Xbox controllers work a peach, majority of J/Stick HOTAS setups do not  Mouse K/B somewhere in the middle

Grandmas are everywhere, since stations are pretty much copy/pasted you get no distraction from them

the voice work..  well it's an ego game I give em a pass never was a strong suit for em.

They seem to have forgotten that sim is short for simulator (last real world flight deck I was on had a couple or two more than 8 buttons)

You can pretend you have a trade empire with one ship that needs to be mother hened constantly and will derp out at the slightest provocation.

If you plan at anytime to trade/build/mine get ready to see a fair amount of .xml editing (save games are in xml format)

I wasn't going to mention bugs and I don't consider these as such as it's a reflection of the type of AI they could cram into an XBOX platform

Cap ships are glorified taxi's they serve no other useful purpose other than a quick cash infusion by selling captured caps.  Most of the time they won't even fire back if something starts blowing them  the *** up

The AI scripting in conjunction with the reputation systems...sigh

The vast majority of ships one sees flying around are actually fluff they do 1 circle on an indefinite loop never docking anywhere or interacting with anything.  They are ambience nothing more.  Another popular mod is removing most of them as it can increase frame rates.

With heavy mod use and a fair amount of time editing .xml saves this game can manage to reach basic utility and functionality for a space sim.

Some things particularly the AI are going to end up being brick walls I think for the mod community; so once all the dust settles you'll still be stuck with a title that's really neither fish nor fowl as far as the platform it's capable of being enjoyed on by most new and old players alike.  Even the UI is probably going to be interesting to modify in any depth.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I was so looking forward to this but some of my friends who got it before me was livid with what they got.

From what I've seen, it is fundamentally broken that I don't think a 'patch' or a 'mod' can fix. Unless it is a complete overhaul mod that might as well be an expansion.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/21/wot-i-think-x-rebirth/#more-177082

explains far better than I.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz

I was so looking forward to this but some of my friends who got it before me was livid with what they got.

From what I've seen, it is fundamentally broken that I don't think a 'patch' or a 'mod' can fix. Unless it is a complete overhaul mod that might as well be an expansion.

I was anticipating that "wot I think" because I read his earlier review. I experienced about everything he described and I agree with most of what he said. I still like the game, though. I think it's ambitious and the delivery has been poor.

I'd compare it to the Civ 4 to Civ 5 transition, which took almost 2 years for alot of people. Civ 4 properly modded with expacs was miles different and better in comparison to Civ 5, but 5 had more potential. (To its credit, civ4 was better on release than 5 at release, too). Now, more and more people play 5 because it's reaching the software's potential. I see that potential in X Rebirth, especially because of the modding capacity.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Mattatron

I was anticipating that "wot I think" because I read his earlier review. I experienced about everything he described and I agree with most of what he said. I still like the game, though. I think it's ambitious and the delivery has been poor.

I'd compare it to the Civ 4 to Civ 5 transition, which took almost 2 years for alot of people. Civ 4 properly modded with expacs was miles different and better in comparison to Civ 5, but 5 had more potential. (To its credit, civ4 was better on release than 5 at release, too). Now, more and more people play 5 because it's reaching the software's potential. I see that potential in X Rebirth, especially because of the modding capacity.

I don't recall CIV5 suddenly corrupting your save files after 30 hours.

Nor do I recall CIV5 having tutorial bugs that doesn't let you progress 5 mins in.

And asking the community to fix a commercial product seems unethical and shady.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by Mattatron

I don't recall CIV5 suddenly corrupting your save files after 30 hours.

Nor do I recall CIV5 having tutorial bugs that doesn't let you progress 5 mins in.

And asking the community to fix a commercial product seems unethical and shady.

Civ 5 has had its fair share of game-crashing bugs, in many cases unrecoverable because the "bugged activity" happened "on ai turn". It had a new "cumbersome" 1upt system for which their AI and game balance were no-where-near prepared. The modding functionality was limited, but got progressively better, if not "unreachable" for layman users.

I don't disagree release of a product in this state is bad form, but , you know, I'm getting kinda numb to it. It's becoming the norm with the game industry; open betas "are actually release", pre-paying to participate in alphas/betas, or hell, EA just does it in your face with titles like Simcity.

I think I feel pretty much as you do, but I just don't need my money back. I think it will be worth my $50 in a few months. But then, you admitted you have no investment in it anyway, yet, so, whatever.

This thread is a pretty fair sample how the game-verse received  this "title"

http://steamcommunity.com/app/2870/discussions/0/648811852715079441/

pretty impressive in a morbid sort of way; only 34 games ever were worse apparently.