Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] General: Ever, Jane: Bringing Women's Fantasies to Video Games

Comments

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Originally posted by LadyPvP

This is interesting and new, I will gladly give them my money, Thank you Suzie.

Same same.

Though the title could have been picked differently.  Gamers are gamers, gender needs to stop being such a major part of the passing of judgements.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

Same same.

Though the title could have been picked differently.  Gamers are gamers, gender needs to stop being such a major part of the passing of judgements.

I agree with that. It's an mmo both genders could enjoy.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

Same same.

agreed, it gets old having your fundamental sexual identity questioned because of your taste in literature or games.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I am glad to see a game like this.  It is quite daring.  Believe it or not, there are people who think MMO can be about more than killing boars.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by nerovipus32 Originally posted by SBFord Originally posted by nerovipus32 Bringing women's fantasies to videos games to be played by  males. This one of the reasons im uneasy around gamers..
    You are mistaken if you think there isn't a significant percentage of female gamers. I will look it up, but the last analysis I read stated that 30-40% of all gamers are female. Maybe having more games geared directly at women will increase that even more.
    I never said there wasn't a significant percentage of female gamers but they don't want to play this shit. I expect the large majority of players will be male roleplayers. Most female gamers i know prefer games like call of duty.
    Most I know play RPG's... go figure, there's more than one type of female gamer.

Wait, hold the phone there, bub. So you're saying that women who play games don't all fit neatly into a stereotypical category? Like, some women might play FPS games even? Holy cats. I need to tell my daughter. She'll be so thrilled that she's not the only one!

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Regarding the game, I have no idea what to make of it. The title of this article though, man, I don't see how this thread has stayed as clean as it has.

It is good to see a developer taking a totally unique approach to the genre. Let's all hope the game is at least moderately successful. Maybe other developers will start coming up with ideas that are as unique.

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by aspekx
    Originally posted by LittleBoot
    Originally posted by itchmon
    its an absolutely brilliant idea, although Austen isnt the writer I personally woulda picked.  (I probably would have done something like Jack London's Alaska or the Victorian london of Arthur Conan Doyle, but that's just one bro's thinking)

Or Dicken's London.  

I have never understood what the fascination with Jane Austen is.  

honestly, i didn't get it either, until later in life. my greek professor in grad school who was from oxford kept mentioning it and ... i just didn't get it. i thought he was just being hung up on the old english stereotypes. and perhaps he was, but i dont think so any more.

then something clicked. i saw a recent BBC remake of Persuasion, bought the novel and fell in love. i can't really explain it even now. i don't reread most books, but i have her collection on my shelf and i have reread most of them. a couple several times.

i think what my professor saw was how Austen deals with relationships, their difficulties and rewards. while her world was bound by social conventions we would hardly recognize i think many people are still bound in their relationships by inner conventions, things inside them that keep them from speaking up on how they truly feel to those dearest to them. that sense of being bound tight and inescapably i think resonates.

The problem is that being English it is on the school curriculum; fairly mediocre, cliched, two dimensional books next to the likes of Shakespeare, Marlowe, Dickens, Defoe etc. and they just do not stand up to that sort of comparison; or indeed any real analysis beyond being a pleasant yarn. 

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Doesn't this game further push the stereotype that woman only like pretty pink dollies and need seperate game worlds with no combat in order to have fun?

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

This is a fantastic concept. We need more games that cater to different tastes. The title of this article is not too well thought out imho.

Originally posted by aspekx
    Originally posted by itchmon
    its an absolutely brilliant idea, although Austen isnt the writer I personally woulda picked.  (I probably would have done something like Jack London's Alaska or the Victorian london of Arthur Conan Doyle, but that's just one bro's thinking)

Or Dicken's London.  

I have never understood what the fascination with Jane Austen is.  

honestly, i didn't get it either, until later in life. my greek professor in grad school who was from oxford kept mentioning it and ... i just didn't get it. i thought he was just being hung up on the old english stereotypes. and perhaps he was, but i dont think so any more.

then something clicked. i saw a recent BBC remake of Persuasion, bought the novel and fell in love. i can't really explain it even now. i don't reread most books, but i have her collection on my shelf and i have reread most of them. a couple several times.

i think what my professor saw was how Austen deals with relationships, their difficulties and rewards. while her world was bound by social conventions we would hardly recognize i think many people are still bound in their relationships by inner conventions, things inside them that keep them from speaking up on how they truly feel to those dearest to them. that sense of being bound tight and inescapably i think resonates.

The problem is that being English it is on the school curriculum; fairly mediocre, cliched, two dimensional books next to the likes of Shakespeare, Marlowe, Dickens, Defoe etc. and they just do not stand up to that sort of comparison; or indeed any real analysis beyond being a pleasant yarn. 

my uncle, who recently passed, had the same experience with a set of required reading school books, little heard and little loved at the time entitled The Lord of the Rings.

i think that often being forced to read things can lead you to overzealously love one and hate the other. when in fact your tastes do change over time. mine did. my ex read Austen in a college semester course. wow was i bored of hearing about it. none of it made any sense to me.

now it does. why? no clue. but my current experience of her novels is not the one you are having.

i certainly am not on a riff here to evangelize the works of Ms. Austen. i am just trying to provide the insight that not everyone feels that way about her. and sometimes they have experienced both ends of the spectrum. it's not a judgment, it's not even really a declaration (well maybe), it's just a statement as to what my experience is with her work.

Originally posted by aspekx Originally posted by LittleBoot Originally posted by itchmon its an absolutely brilliant idea, although Austen isnt the writer I personally woulda picked.  (I probably would have done something like Jack London's Alaska or the Victorian london of Arthur Conan Doyle, but that's just one bro's thinking)
    Or Dicken's London.   I have never understood what the fascination with Jane Austen is.    
    honestly, i didn't get it either, until later in life. my greek professor in grad school who was from oxford kept mentioning it and ... i just didn't get it. i thought he was just being hung up on the old english stereotypes. and perhaps he was, but i dont think so any more.   then something clicked. i saw a recent BBC remake of Persuasion, bought the novel and fell in love. i can't really explain it even now. i don't reread most books, but i have her collection on my shelf and i have reread most of them. a couple several times.   i think what my professor saw was how Austen deals with relationships, their difficulties and rewards. while her world was bound by social conventions we would hardly recognize i think many people are still bound in their relationships by inner conventions, things inside them that keep them from speaking up on how they truly feel to those dearest to them. that sense of being bound tight and inescapably i think resonates.

That's just being snooty.

I've read a good bit of Literature, because I had to, and I've done analysis of it and gotten the A on my final paper in my second year Lit class. That doesn't mean Melville's works are perfect and that Terry Pratchett's books are cr@p. I've never read them, but I would assume Jane Austen is the same way. No, you don't have to look up the words she's using and you don't have to analyze the paragraph to understand what she's saying (I assume), but that doesn't mean her works resonate any less with the people who read them. Good stories are good stories, whether you dress them up or not.

MMORPGs could do with some good stories.

Originally posted by Maelzrael
    Doesn't this game further push the stereotype that woman only like pretty pink dollies and need seperate game worlds with no combat in order to have fun?

i don't think the game does as much as the title and some of the comments in the interview lend themselves to that view. which, frankly, is also kind of a kiss-off to males who might really enjoy this.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Originally posted by SBFord

Originally posted by nerovipus32 Bringing women's fantasies to videos games to be played by  males. This one of the reasons im uneasy around gamers..
    You are mistaken if you think there isn't a significant percentage of female gamers. I will look it up, but the last analysis I read stated that 30-40% of all gamers are female. Maybe having more games geared directly at women will increase that even more.
    I never said there wasn't a significant percentage of female gamers but they don't want to play this shit. I expect the large majority of players will be male roleplayers. Most female gamers i know prefer games like call of duty.
    Most I know play RPG's... go figure, there's more than one type of female gamer.

Wait, hold the phone there, bub. So you're saying that women who play games don't all fit neatly into a stereotypical category? Like, some women might play FPS games even? Holy cats. I need to tell my daughter. She'll be so thrilled that she's not the only one!

careful! next thing you know she'll be playing airsoft, fixing cars, and asking a boy out to the prom.

• richarddoylericharddoyle Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Originally posted by stragen001

CLEARLY they are ripping off Jane Austen World from the Red Dwarf episode "Beyond a Joke"

I wonder if there will be a hack that allows you to gatecrash Mrs Bennets tea party in Mr Bingleys gazebo using a WW2 tank like Kryten did?

"Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, I said supper is ready!"

Yes, I would play this.

Played: DAoC, AC2, WoW, CoH, GW, GW2, WAR, AoC, Champions Online, Rift, Dragon Nest, Vindictus, Warframe, Neverwinter, Dungeon Fighter Online

Currently Playing: Dungeon Fighter Online Global

Waiting for: None

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

"Judy Tyrer: My last position was Senior Engineering Manager at Linden Lab working on Second Life where my team managed 650K simulations running on 10K servers across 3 geographic locations releasing new server code weekly. Judy has experience in running servers at scale.  Prior to that I..."

Does she also typically switch from first person to talking in the third person or did someone else write this up from information to make it look like an actual interview?

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    Interesting premise. The argument about P2W is also intriguing, but I wonder if it did a /whoosh over most heads. Never would have found this without the interview so thanks, Suzie.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    If you're a male and into jane Austin then please leave your manhood at the door.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    If you're a male and into jane Austin then please leave your manhood at the door.

lol, yeah I can see where some might have issue with the subject matter.

Thing is, as I mentioned in another thread, Scorsese created "Age of Innocence"  (Edith Wharton) and said that if you really looked at it, it was a "gangster story".

There's more to these stories than ladies and their manners and their balls.

They are every bit as ruthless.

Additionally, Jane Austin's novels look at a type of man that can still "be a man" yet do so in a world where women are not passive, not subject to being pidgeon holed into stereotypical roles.

Where women can be a part of a relationship as opposed to just being "property".

Essentially being masculine and strong enough to acknowledge the importance of women.

As opposed to weak men who are threatened by women.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    I thought the game sounded kinda neat personally, simply because it was different.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Bringing women's fantasies to videos games to be played by  males. This one of the reasons im uneasy around gamers..

I know alot of women gamers. I'm one of them. I have, occasionally, had male toons though. In many modern games, different genders stories play out differently and its interesting to see how they do. Not to mention that occasionally they have a really sexy voice (like the male bounty hunter voice on SWTOR) that's nice to listen to. 

sorry, its firmly attached ... i can provide evidence if one is so inclined.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Doesn't sound very interesting to me, but I'm not the target market.  Anyway I think that these kind of small niche games are great.  However I agree that the monetization is kind of WTF, but maybe those people who the game is targeting will get it.
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Zero interest in this. But wish her company the best of luck anyways.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Moirae
    Bringing women's fantasies to videos games to be played by  males. This one of the reasons im uneasy around gamers..

I know alot of women gamers. I'm one of them. I have, occasionally, had male toons though. In many modern games, different genders stories play out differently and its interesting to see how they do. Not to mention that occasionally they have a really sexy voice (like the male bounty hunter voice on SWTOR) that's nice to listen to. 

I agree on the male imperial voice in SWtOR Im a guy an even I find it pleasing. Like a sinister James Bond accent.

I can pull off a decent English posh, but damn that smooth, slightly evil and contemptuous voice is impossible to do.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I am happy to hear the dev is making a game she has a passion for but also sounds a tad bit like she is drawing from her old game Second Life and trying to find a way to make a cost effective similar game.

I think having worked on Second Life,she knows there is a market there but also should realize that ANY game NEEDS to be popular to draw any kind of attention and making this one popular to support itself early on imo will be a very tough sell.I know the exact type of female who "might"like a game like this,i will mention it to her and see if it really has any appeal.She prefers to hangout on Facebook and likes the more social ideas,so she is the perfect stereotype to ask.

I am not sure the MAIN appeal is there though,i think any type of gamer likes to see rewards and always have some sort of customization.

I have found however the social media type female gamer's usually fit into an odd sort of niche where they like to collect as many   "likes" as they can rather than why someone is liking them.These same women like to hangout in Skype and read each other's walls in FB,i am not so sure they want to invest money and time into gaming.I think the TYPE of gamer this game will attract is the actual f2p female gamer,that way they don't feel obligated to login to warrant spending money.

I feel this will be  a brave venture but a very risky one.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.