Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOL @ the new "level up" animation

Comments

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Some in this thread keep trying to argue that art style is the only determining factor in a target age without considering the tone or content if the game. By this logic, Family Guy and South Park must be made for elementary school kids.

I didn't, I gave other factors in my post as well. Regardless is South Park really a good example?  Are we really going to see in Wildstar a Devil's boyfriend holding a Dildo in bed? LOL. Thats why the target market for that is so much broader. Lets be real here. Now if it is then I've completely changed my mind about the game lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by keithian

There is so much BS already in this thread. Just because a few people from a forum post I'm 32 years old or I'm into comic books or whatever doesn't change the fact that they are targeting a very young audience. Nothing wrong with that, but stop pretending like the average MMO gamer in their late 20. 30s and 40/ is going to prefer this direction. Even the way they talk about their videos is like someone who was talking to a teen (or younger).

Now as far as the level up, I think it's awesome for my youngest niece lol.

Your niece has pretty good taste :D

lol she does. Anyway, I actually agree with your point to the poster above about why making the game in the same mold as those that are gritty. Like I said, there is a target market for this type of game and I think this game will do fine with that target market and I think its healthy to have variety. I think there is just an older more worn out population of sandboxers and themepark folks that are just looking for that something different but still more mature..which I think only Occulus Rift will solve :-) lol.

http://www.oculusvr.com/

:-)

41 here, looking forward playing Wildstar, have no idea yet if the game clicks with me. But I do want to have the experiance to make that decision.

So when you talk about target market, what excactly do you mean?

At the same time looking forward to Star Citizen even more as it seems to atract me more due to it's sandbox nature.

But Wildstar can be fun which doesn't mean I don't have hopes for a more mature type of sandbox MMORPG.

I think Wildstar has many fun game elements.

I find allot of different in each game I enjoy, but then I am more into details of this genre that make each game different, instead of playing every game the same way as those who do so will never find something different.

Originally posted by Reklaw

There is so much BS already in this thread. Just because a few people from a forum post I'm 32 years old or I'm into comic books or whatever doesn't change the fact that they are targeting a very young audience. Nothing wrong with that, but stop pretending like the average MMO gamer in their late 20. 30s and 40/ is going to prefer this direction. Even the way they talk about their videos is like someone who was talking to a teen (or younger).

Now as far as the level up, I think it's awesome for my youngest niece lol.

Your niece has pretty good taste :D

lol she does. Anyway, I actually agree with your point to the poster above about why making the game in the same mold as those that are gritty. Like I said, there is a target market for this type of game and I think this game will do fine with that target market and I think its healthy to have variety. I think there is just an older more worn out population of sandboxers and themepark folks that are just looking for that something different but still more mature..which I think only Occulus Rift will solve :-) lol.

http://www.oculusvr.com/

:-)

41 here, looking forward playing Wildstar, have no idea yet if the game clicks with me. But I do want to have the experiance to make that decision.

So when you talk about target market, what excactly do you mean?

At the same time looking forward to Star Citizen even more as it seems to atract me more due to it's sandbox nature.

But Wildstar can be fun which doesn't mean I don't have hopes for a more mature type of sandbox MMORPG.

I think Wildstar has many fun game elements.

I find allot of different in each game I enjoy, but then I am more into details of this genre that make each game different, instead of playing every game the same way as those who do so will never find something different.

Scroll up only a few posts above this one  (maybe previous page) and you'll see further discussion around what was meant. Regardless I respect your opinion :-).

There Is Always Hope!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Ender4

This game looks like it was designed for a bunch of 10 year olds...

Or 39 year olds like me :)

I'm 54 and I love these games. When someone tells me when I am to old to have fun, I'm going to hit them straight in the face with a Maul.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    If blizzard did this they would probably get criticize for ruining mmo level ups.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    If blizzard did this they would probably get criticize for ruining mmo level ups.

I had to laugh and shake my head at this because it has a ring of truth to it...

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Wildstar will do well until the new wow expansion launches and then it will taper off like every other mmo. I'm not a wow fanboy, i am just merely stating what will happen because it always happens.
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    29 year old here and i think the new lvl up was funny, i like some comedy in my games.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• BlackadderaBlackaddera Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Wildstar will do well until the new wow expansion launches and then it will taper off like every other mmo. I'm not a wow fanboy, i am just merely stating what will happen because it always happens.

Ow yeah a lot of ppl will buy expansion nr 5 with about 2-3 days of lvling up and waiting till raids start all over again. Face it WoW is in decline if not a freefall.

the steel shines red with enemy blood. It sings of victory, granted by the gods. And as they return bleeding but proud, the horizon burns and the song is ringing LOUD!

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Originally posted by Alders
    Originally posted by c0exist
    It surprises me how many people in their 30's would consider playing this game.  To me it looks like they are aiming their efforts at people under 20 more around 12-16 age. 

How many of those people in the 12-16 range even know what a hoverboard is or get the reference?   How many of them got the Randy Savage reference in the recent DevSpeak?

I don't believe it's aimed at the under 20 age group as much as some.

Nothing wrong with using 80's pop culture references and all but I think it's being used too much. I'm 40, I was 12 when Back to The Future was released. Flash forward to the 1990 when the third film was released and that made me 17 at the time....there is a reason hoverboards and neon lights appealed to me at that time....I was young. So do you honestly believe that something that appealed to a teen at that time won't possibly do so with the ones running around now? No...they can keep their Bill and Ted type banter and jokes out of the mmorpgs and save it for trips down memory lane. I need something a little more grounded. That's one thing that I didn't like in WoW and I don't like it here. But I'm not so blinded that I won't give it a 30 day spin.....oh well we'll see.

So are you saying if Hoverboards were invented and you could have one by christmas you wouldn't get one?  Can you really say that if tomorrow you could have any super power you could think of you wouldn't want it?  If you answer with 'no' I can't help but think your 100% influenced by the label of 'adult' and 'adults' don't want super powers or 'childish' things.  Yet everything are just labels and stereotypes just as the idea of being a 'MAN' is one, yet being a 'MAN' has nothing to do with your genitalia it has to do with some social stereotype of what a 'MAN' consists of. 

Ya the novalty of it wore off because you aged and became desensitized to the ideas.  But I bet you played video games when you were that age too, and I take it from you being on this forum, that you play video games.

I would say stop acting like an 'adult' or a 'MAN' but then that is still completely up to you, just stop pushing your point of view on what a proper 'adult' is and what a proper 'adult' enjoys from their video games on to everyone else.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

One thing is for certain.

That guy leveled up and everyone knows it.  =P

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    People saying that this is obviously being targeted to children, you're wrong. Wildstar right from the start has had an emphasis on not taking itself too seriously and just being all about fun. If you can't handle that than this is probably not the MMO for you and you should look somewhere else for your "girmdark" MMO, or whatever the heck it is that you're looking for.

Smile

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

This game looks like it was designed for a bunch of 10 year olds. I'm not one to be bothered by graphics much but between this level up thing and the silly looking hovercraft video I think I'll be avoiding this one.

I have to agree with you.  This game takes the "potty mouth trying to be funny but really isn't" stance on just about everything in the game.  It's annoying as hell and leaves me rolling my eyes and wanting to play something less filled with drivel.  Mind you, I don't mind some humor in my games, to me Blizzard gets it right, but they have some taste and class and don't fill my eyes with annoying expletives just to be "shocking".  I'm 38 by the way.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

There may be a few 30 year olds in the thread who like it, but I don't see their goal being the 30 year old gamer market. On top of that, I'm in my 30s and absolutely see nothing of value in this title and it does seem that it is aimed for a less mature crowd for sure.

I guess we'll see how it does in the end.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I'm also really not sure what age has to do with anything. I'm 20 years old and looking forward to this MMORPG. Not too sure what this "30 year old demographic" is that people keep going on about.

Smile

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

There may be a few 30 year olds in the thread who like it, but I don't see their goal being the 30 year old gamer market. On top of that, I'm in my 30s and absolutely see nothing of value in this title and it does seem that it is aimed for a less mature crowd for sure.

I guess we'll see how it does in the end.

I'm in my 30's and looking forward to it. 

In fact, the thing most likely to put me off a game is if it (and its player base) takes itself too seriously.  The self-professed 'mature' are usually unbearably irritating.  

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Wow why are people so serious about this? i'm guessing it's just a joke for the beta to take the piss out of the people who said the leveling up was too subtle. Instead of seeing the humour side of it people are trying to find a problem with it? Come one guys ligten up a bit.
  • KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Jafotron
    Wow why are people so serious about this? i'm guessing it's just a joke for the beta to take the piss out of the people who said the leveling up was too subtle. Instead of seeing the humour side of it people are trying to find a problem with it? Come one guys ligten up a bit.

Many gamers lack a lot of social aspects of life which makes them lack common sense sometimes, in this case to see the games intentional joke.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Jafotron

If the rest of the game was good, this would be a joke.

As it stands, it is just another example of how terribly designed this whole gaming experience is.

For those who "claim" that anyone that doesn't like this takes themselves too seriously, that is simply not the case. There is quality humor and there is craptastic humor. Not liking the craptastic does not make one "too serious", it just means they actually like quality, nothing more or less to it.

I'm fine with comedy and joking in video games and even in MMOs, but it has to be done well. None of this is done well.

Originally posted by Razeekster
    People saying that this is obviously being targeted to children, you're wrong. Wildstar right from the start has had an emphasis on not taking itself too seriously and just being all about fun. If you can't handle that than this is probably not the MMO for you and you should look somewhere else for your "girmdark" MMO, or whatever the heck it is that you're looking for.

Again, just because adults buy stuffed up animals from Toy R Us doesn't mean that the Toy R Us marketing department doesn't target a younger crowd and its obvious from the way they address watchers in just about every video that they are not targeting mature adults no matter what they say and regardless of the 30+ crowd posting their age in this thread..

There Is Always Hope!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Rockniss

This game looks like it was designed for a bunch of 10 year olds...

Or 39 year olds like me :)

Or 31 year olds like me

Or a 24 year old like me.

Then you are all immature so nanny nanny poopers lol. Just kidding. lol. Anyway, I do hope you enjoy the game :-).

There Is Always Hope!