Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Do Factions Work In This Game? Guilds Align With A Faction?

Macrinus101Macrinus101 Member Posts: 44
I am going to give Eve a try, even though I think I probably won't stick with it because of the gameplay and how time consuming it is, I do like how the ships look and watching videos of it sometimes. How do factions work though? Is it a constant war between the 5 major factions? Does your guild align with one faction or is the pvp an all out war between guilds? I hope guilds who are in the same faction don't fight with each other, that would be stupid.

Comments

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Faction by "race" has faction warfare but all things PvE in EVE are simply an ISK farm tool. This includes Faction Warfare.

Because there is no tie to your Faction through ship or weapons it really doesn't matter what one you pick. Even for faction warfare, an Amarr pilot can fight in the Minmatar army or vice versa. In the end though if you are joining for PvE reasons you won't stay. Player "factions" or alliances and non aggression pacts are another matter. They will usually end in a betrayal and it's hard to know how much of it is just puppet mastered by RMT and CCP but either way, player politics in EVE is one of the bigger game sellers for it. Just don't take it too serious or ever truly expect to be the next Mittanni because I'm pretty sure it's all rigged.

• ChramChram Member Posts: 91

Your starting choice plays very little role aside from cosmetics. You can initially venture everywhere and train to fly all faction's ships. If you do missions, you improve your standing towards the agent's faction and may worsen a standing against another faction. It may get to a point when the opposing faction police force will be after you if you enter their space. This might cause problems if you would like to, for example, join a corporation operating in a space where you have terrible standings. Aside from that, there are not many other consequences when flying in high sec. (note that corporations/alliances do not actually join factions, they merely choose to operate in their respective spaces and pay their taxes.)

There is a specific mechanic which allows joining a faction's militia and shooting the opposing faction's militia - It's called faction warfare and takes place in low sec (it's profitable and ton of fun!) - this is mainly a pvp activity though.

Null sec has no rules, aside from those which players impose upon it. Factions are irrelevant. Also most of the stuff the above poster wrote about it is tinfoilish bogus. It is indeed rigged in the sense that not every joe can become the one and only king of null sec space, well duh.

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
    There is no such thing as "give EVE a try". EVE tries you!

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I suspect the OP would most enjoy doing the special interceptor missions for the pirate factions - and the evolving storyline / story arc missions.

Information on these missions is rather arcane, so you would need to search hard on the internet to find out where to find them.

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258

Factions (or races in eve) don't really change much other than your initial ships and standings. PVP is not based in factions (unless we're talking faction warfare, but any race can join any faction or militia they wish).

The main thing about this game is that you're the one responsible for making friends and enemies... the game won't label them or assign you into teams for you so to speak.