Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legacy Server

KremchekKremchek Member Posts: 49
Is there a legacy server of EQ before say the Planes expansion? Thanks for info.

Comments

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Google Project1999. I've been enjoying it immensely myself. It's not official of course, but it's about the closest option available for re-living those old days.

• TrappinTrappin Member UncommonPosts: 66

P1999 requires an old disk, you either buy a ripped copy off ebay, or steal the client via torrent.

SOE is launching a new progression server spring 2014.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Trappin

P1999 requires an old disk, you either buy a ripped copy off ebay, or steal the client via torrent.

If the disk is out of print it's really questionable whether you are actually "stealing" anything [especially since copyrigiht infringement is not technically stealing in the first place...] but when what you're downloading is not for sale by the rightsholder a lot of the moral arguments against it go away in my opinion.

P1999 supposedly represents the past, the "golden era" of MMO gaming! Well, the good old days really weren't all that great. You simply can't get that old feeling back, no matter how many times you click those ruby slippers.

If you find yourself waking up in a cold sweat late at night , and in that semi-lucid state, you suddenly realize the word frozen on your own lips is.. ... ...is the word VERANT, you know it's gone too far.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

P1999 supposedly represents the past, the "golden era" of MMO gaming! Well, the good old days really weren't all that great. You simply can't get that old feeling back, no matter how many times you click those ruby slippers.

If you find yourself waking up in a cold sweat late at night , and in that semi-lucid state, you suddenly realize the word frozen on your own lips is.. ... ...is the word VERANT, you know it's gone too far.

That's kind of odd, I still like to play UO, and if they did a pre-instance madness EQ and put new content out in that format, I would be subbed in a heartbeat, even with original graphics, as I still play the 2d client with UO and it doesn't bother me one bit. 

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Specifically, you need the EQ Titanium Edition.

I hadn't heard about a new prog server. Are they trying anything new with the progression rules?

The irony is this: people either play for free on the official servers or buy a ripped copy of an old version of Everquest and play on a emulated server. by the way,  playing on an emulated server makes sense for old SWG and Earth and Beyond fans, I'm certainly not trying to make some self-serving point about pirating software.

There's nothing odd about playing old games like UO, I sometimes play a UO 2.5d isometric clone called Haven and Hearth.

I hadn't heard about a new prog server. Are they trying anything new with the progression rules?

Fan Faire panel discussion, and not sure about the prog server rulesets.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

Are they?? I hadn't heard news of this! I bought EQ just for Fippy Darkpaw but right around the time it launched school got too crazy. I regret not sticking with it.

Check the archived Fan Faire news at Allakhazaams.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Check the archived Fan Faire news at Allakhazaams.

i dug around but found nothing

on the progression forums it's only described as internet rumors

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?forums/time-locked-progression-servers.21/

I seem to recall it was part of a video taped panel discussion at Fan Faire linked from the news page at ZAM. Sorry, I don't have a link and can't be more helpful than that.

The Fippy progression server is the one thing that brought me back to Everquest, and I'll join any new progression server as soon as it opens. Interestingly, people commenting on the thread Nadia linked are bickering about subscription levels and votes unlocking content, but the single largest drop in population occurred when SOE was hacked and the servers went black for a month.  A huge chunk of  the population simply never returned when the TLP servers finally did come back online.

The frustrating part is this, I simply want to play on a server with a large population, and don't really care if it's original  Everquest content or PoP or ROF.