Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The current state of a failed game.

2»

Comments

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Sorry but any game that lasts longer than 5 years is successful in my books. and Anarchy has doubled that. even if everyone quit tomorrow and the game died. its still not a fail because it was AROUND FOR 11 YEARS.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• XV999XV999 Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Rayshe

Sorry but any game that lasts longer than 5 years is successful in my books. and Anarchy has doubled that. even if everyone quit tomorrow and the game died. its still not a fail because it was AROUND FOR 11 YEARS.

I don't agree that quantity is better than quailty. One reason ao survives is because the players are some of the most loyal players you will find which is a shame as funcom treats both game and players as abused dogs. Another reason is ao costs nothing for fc to run they invest nothing into the game. They take and take and give nothing back, all ao needs to run is the cost of the servers which were first contracted for use by AOC and recycled for AO use after AOC flopped.

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by Rayshe

That's like being impressed with a dead racoon cause it hasn't decomposed in 11 years.  Eve Online is a succesful long term MMO, this is definately not.  Damn shame, I used to love AO, maybe if CCP ran it then it would be an epic mmo.

An interesting surprise after Monday's patch. No.5 on my list as been semi addressed.

It was soon discovered after the patch stealth changes not mentioned in the patch notes to the Pand/Ipand zones have been made. Ramps of dirt now lead up to the walls allowing mobs access to kill those pesky wall runners. Walls have been removed in certain areas and mobs have had stat changes, islands used for sploits have also been removed. The quantity of mobs has been reduced though and some now have higher resistance to debuffs but less total hit points. It is no longer possible to use aimed shot on one mob nor sneak by it in stealth. At least some of these changes make it clear what sploits are and aren't and for a safer game experience by players doing this raid.

I don't really care for these resistance changes as it makes agents even more useless for this raid and agents are already a festering sewer of waste and the worst/weakest in this game. Funcom hates agents let me point this out. Don't ask me why but do you can compare it to the way world of warcraft treated paladins up to a couple expansions ago.

RMT sales have plummeted today as long as I was online I saw no RMT gold farmers spamming the sales bots neutnet and Dnet. These changes make it very hard to conduct business for them as they prefer to use teams of four to five people with no outside help to max sales. These changes make a zerg raid more productive and faster for raiders and not these RMT scumbugs. Overall a good change but its just a drop in the ocean at this point. I see no mention of these changes on their forums. I suspect failcom is keeping these changes away from public eyes. Someone would of have made threads about these changes by now I can only suspect they have and were deleted. FC doesn't like this info to get out they like to tighten the gag around their players mouths when ninja changes take place.

• SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Could be a good mmo in the right hands of a good company!!
    Originally posted by Smintar

Ao would of been awesome but funcom never learned common business ethics and concept. You need to invest money to make money and hoping to get money for nothing and living off subsidies from the government of norway is not going to make a profitable venture.

• MarcelinoMarcelino Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Originally posted by XV999

Older items are becoming increasingly rare and impossible to find. The froob population (free players) is so low now items from old content they used to farm are almost impossible to find and cost at least 100x what they would have go for years ago. This makes finding items needed for upgrade components impossible to find.

Does this included QL10 Concrete Cushions? :P

Ive just returned to the game after I left in 2007 (played from 2001 day one)

Ahh the days I spent farming these babies :)

But back on topic, its such a shame to see the game in this state, i was in the subway yesterday and i did not see another single player for about 2 hours!! I gues I should reactivate my old account so I can take part in the closing party like i did in SWG :/

• skulyskuly Member UncommonPosts: 140

9. Discusion of these problems outside of their scripted rules in detail on ao's message boards will result in your account being banned from their forums. The mods on ao forums must be former agents of the soviet KGB. They will make you disappeared. This is a stark contrast to aoc and tsw forums where negative comments are common as dirt and censorship and coverups are not found. One reason for this is ao is considered funcom's cash cow all funds from the game are milked for their other mmos while ao players are left with the scraps of bones.

So true, I Have like 4+ accounts , i played for so long and somehow ended up starting over many times, I used to make suggestions and give criticism, but for years people on the forum didn't seem to like my opinion, It was understandable since I am not a pvp person, people who are really into pvp probably are going to not want what i want or see things different, but at some point it started feeling like people just wanted to throw insults around without even fully reading or trying to comprehend the subject.

By 2012 all my accounts had no forum access anymore. I am not even sure why and didn't even care much.

There was so many things they should have done over the years that made sense and people suggested so many times... like a quick exit from inferno missions at the boss.. from what i last saw they added a vet item that made it possible but it was too late for me.

Then there when LE missions came i know i wasn't the only person on the forums that wanted a mission reward at the end because teams liked to move so fast there wasn't much time to loot corpses for VP.

I used to love AO..i have a tattoo of the logo , but i don't think i will ever log in again, especially since i'll have to setup all my characters spell bars and go through bags and do so much work to get back into the game.

AO is too much work without much reward anymore .. boring as hell with a low population. 

Processor: Intel Core I5-2320
    Memory: 8GB DDR3 RAM
    HDD: Samsung 830 256gb SSD-SATA3
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3gb

Steam:Skuly
    Warframe:Skuly1775

Funny thing about their stasi moderation, a new thread was created recently about the ao forum use being at an all time low. A mod comes along and says they have the most mods active since 2007. They pretty much admit they are putting a heavy effort into shutting people up. All I can say about the ao forums is this.

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151
    I played from 2001 to 2005 or so, and had some of the best times in any game ever, with a fantastic org.

Too bad Shadowlands was a horrible shitfest of epic proportion.

The game is dead, and has been for a long time. It's the only one of it's kind or with such a good mission system. Too bad.
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by Smintar

Ao would of been awesome but funcom never learned common business ethics and concept. You need to invest money to make money and hoping to get money for nothing and living off subsidies from the government of norway is not going to make a profitable venture.

Had Funcom really understood the gem that they were sitting on and the loyal player base that they had they could have done great things with AO.  After a certain point though it was just to late.  Mainly after the first mass  exodus of players. The main cities went from being living and thriving with a diverse community to Borealis being the only place to go for activity.  ToTW literally died.   What I mean by died is TOTW use to be the place where all the lvl 50-60 twinks went for some fun with each other. There were always 30-50 players outside and active 24/7. Probably more but I am being conservative. 

After the player base fell off the game just started on a downward spiral. The only way to run content that certain classes really needed to run for their items was to pay for someones services to farm that content for you. Or when kite teams became the only way to actually level.  Nothing against kiting but saying after a point that was the only way to level. Zones were dead other than kite teams.  Zones which use to have long queues of players looking for groups and just mingling and socializing while they waited.

1:  1 bill per piece or full set? Because 1 bill for a full set seems about right.  Maybe a little more pricey than they were but not much.

Points 2 and 4 that the op made. 

That's been going on since forever.  There were people who have always had strong farming operations for viral-bots. You just didn't notice because when the population was higher more were doing it. Groups  of people who had 1 - 2 person corps/ orgs and had 5 cities where all they did was just viral-bot farm. Then Beast + AI raid when those were up and our faction was doing them.  Then just socialize any other time. I forget why they had so many cities. Cause the locations were in hard to get spots? Did raids have cool down timer or could one just plug CRU right after a raid finished and start a new one? I can't recall anymore.  All I know is they could do alien raids non-stop.  They had min-maxed characters with all the smalls one could ever need for min-maxing any character.  Stuff that slowly became very hard to come by as the population started to falter.

Good people, friendly as hell. Would also help me do my own raids when I couldn't find enough people. That said a player could almost bet that if they bought viral-bots off the market there was a good chance that they came from one of these groups of people.

AO had a lot of falts in it's prime. It had a very cliquish community.  If your reputation got tarnished for any reason you could easily be punished and locked out of content that should have been available to everyone.  This could have been and had been done to people for stupid shit like agreeing with another person who wasn't very popular and voiced their opinion, having an unpopular stance on any given topic.  Real petty stuff.

I really hated that those small cores of people held control of Beast and the AI raids (not the city raids the other one).  I cheered when groups like this one I recall (I can't recall the name atm. "Mafia" or something like that. May have been in another language) took their small but geared soldier team and started out-damaging these raids for something like a week. Taking the loot for themselves.They had those raid-bot channels in a fury while sticking their middle finger at them. Obviously I couldn't exactly say anything in the open for fear of being locked out of content my character still needed. :( 

That said I loved it for what it was.  It really felt alive.  I wouldn't want much of it to have change if anything. All it's falts combined with bugs and how unpredictable the community was all added character to the game. The nightmare that was any given patch day. It was different and Funcom really failed to realize what they had and were sitting on. Loyal community, non-lvl locked gear system. Where if one could figure out how to get lvl 200 gear on a lvl 10 character they could do just that. 

A fairly well developed and large world which felt like there really was a war going on. The diverse community of players. Oh well.. Wasn't popular and instead of being small and successful Funcom opted for other things. :( 

• MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152

Anarchy Online is definitely a game of it's own.  What got me hooked, aside from the atmosphere and storyline, was that you could create your character "any way you want".  DO NOT believe this.  This is not so.  I usually make a Shotgun-weilding, Pam Grier-esque character with a HEAVY focus on Evades.  I found you CANNOT build your character like that in AO.  Which is a shame, seeing as how there are many different Professions. 

I was apart of the "AO Recovery Project" group.  I was all for it, as I fell instantly IN LOVE with the game when I first started out.  There were some AWESOME people in my group- probably the coolest people you could find in AO.  Then there were some not so awesome people, who took to complaining about the game the moment they joined the group (they were an AO vet- more on these types in a minute).  When I realized we kept the complainer around just to finance our Groups town, I got sick of it.  It's one thing to put up with an asshole with a lot of money in real life to get what you want (See also: Employment).  But when I play a game, I shouldn't have to worry about stroking the rich person's ego.  I would have rathered they showed us noobs in the group how to amass enough money to do it, and then to build.  It was I pretty much logged on one day, and the town was completely built.  Most of our group members were like, "Wtf... when did this happen?  Where were we?" 

That wasn't my biggest gripe.  My biggest gripe was "twinking".  It was so tedious, and it was the same thing everythime.  Medic Suit, type in Buff you need in Chat, wait, and get to putting on the SAME pieces the Martial Artist next to you is.  I felt absolutely no sense of control over how I had my character.  When I asked about Shotgun with Evades, I was told it wasn't "ideal for end-game".  This left a terrible taste in my mouth- you mean I play this WHOLE game doing things the textbook way.  Where the hell is the fun in that?

In essence, you're almost like a Pop Singer, like Dicki Garbaj or Miley Cyrus- you are packaged to do a certain thing and veering off of that path will make you useless.  It's so sad...

The community was a mixed bag.  I meant some REALLY cool people in it, and even had a couple friends in factions that weren't my own (I don't approve of Omni-Pol, but I don't hate 'em, either.  I think they felt the same about me).  But then there was that select few- what I believe they would consider themselves the "AO Elite".  They played the game back in the day, and still play it, or come back ever so often and play it.  Whilst playing it, these "AO Elites" bitch, moan and chiando the WHOLE time about how FunCom ruined AO, how the New Engine is just a Marketing ploy and is never coming ("I've been here forever- trust me, they're lying" I was told by said Elitest).  They bitch about the Devs, they bitch about the gameplay, they bitch about the way the Moon rises. 

Which makes me wonder- how much of your life is lost that you can log into a game you OBVIOUSLY despise and are crusty over just to bitch to the New People coming in.  It's really funny to me, in a social aspect- because I really think everyone (including myself) is nothing more than a blithering idiot spewing opinions.  But from the Game aspect, it's really sad.  AO could have been around for ANOTHER 11 years if you COULD actually play any Profession the way you wanted and the community wasn't as RUSTY as the old Graphic Engine is.

Also- leveling with a group was not fun.  We'd go out in droves, and the higher levels would go outfront and kill things while the lower-leveld people just sat behind absorbing exp.  It was really lame...

I'd try it if again if they implemented the New Engine, as well as the New Player Experience, just to see.  I feel AO has A LOT of potential... just don't know if that "potential" will show up with the update, or when they release "Anarachy Online 2".

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201

Rubi-Ka Online would be a better name for the new game since there really wasn't any anarchy in it.

• TrappinTrappin Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by SickSadWorld
     I would have rathered they showed us noobs in the group how to amass enough money to do it, and then to build. 

That wasn't my biggest gripe.  My biggest gripe was "twinking".  It was so tedious, and it was the same thing everythime. 

(...)

Also- leveling with a group was not fun.  We'd go out in droves, and the higher levels would go outfront and kill things while the lower-leveld people just sat behind absorbing exp.  It was really lame...

(...) I'd try it if again if, or when they release "Anarachy Online 2".

Building a character is the single most interest faucet of AO, and it's never the same - other than equipping an omni medsuit.

You chose to be powerleveled with an outside tank (OST), next time,  do it yourself .

There will never be an Anarchy Online II.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

12 yo game is 12 yo ... story @ 12

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Too bad. I remember being in the early beta. I never really got to play since I was unable to exit my room/apt in the game. Kind of hard to do anything stuck in an empty room.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• TrappinTrappin Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Brilliant.  Here's another  tired, threadbare cliche: Stupid is as stupid does.