Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Card Games

BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Hi, so seeing the new hearthstone news and videos I got really curious on trying some mmo card game as 2nd game apart of ffxiv.

I love card games but I don't want games where you get all cards at the start then having to go trough tons of cards to find the deck you want. I want a game where you start with a basic deck then you earn currency to buy booster packs, maybe tournaments, trading between people etc etc type of progression.

I don't know much card games available that are not pay2win or bad but maybe you guys know of some. So, if you people could post names of such games and WHY you find them good it would be awesome :)

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310
    I play several mobile "card battlers". They are all P2W, just like the actual cardboard CCGs.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

havent played it but sounds promising

http://hextcg.com/

From the creators of the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game, HEX is a TCG / MMO that combines the best of both for your PC & MAC

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

Might and Magic Duel of Champions

http://www.duelofchampions.com/en/index.aspx

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

Originally posted by Bloodaxes

I want a game where you start with a basic deck then you earn currency to buy booster packs, maybe tournaments, trading between people etc etc type of progression.

Faeria ended a recent kickstarter that claims this

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1464350149/faeria-strategy-card-game

1. A simple game on top of deep gameplay: Making a game that we would get bored of? Never. Our initial goal is to make a game so deep we would want to play it forever.

2. Competitive play: We know what separates a casual game from a robust gameplay made to endure the most demanding gamers. Faëria involves so many tactical decisions that luck barely factors into the game.

3. A one-time purchase TCG: No microtransactions, no free-2-play. The only way to grow your collection of cards is to play.

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by Nadia

havent played it but sounds promising

http://hextcg.com/

From the creators of the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game, HEX is a TCG / MMO that combines the best of both for your PC & MAC

HEX is a loooooooooooooooongggg way from release or any kind of beta. they're in very ear;y alpha and are having some issues at the moment. I'm a slacker backer and read the updates and forums every day.

You can always try Poke'mon. Go to the store and buy a couple theme decks. They come with codes for online and you'll get the same deck online. You get boosters for logging in too. Games fun.

You can try Magic 2014 on steam too. Thats another good one.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    I was also going to suggest Hex but unfortunately it isn't released yet.  It's the major one to watch though in my opinion with all the new mmo elements they are adding to a trading card game.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Might and Magic Duels of Champions - currently playing this now, really great ccg with simple to learn rules, but has a lot of tactical depth.

Shadow Era - also a good game, has a few fundamental flaws IMO, but has a vibrant community that really likes it.

Ascension - it's not really a ccg, it's deck building game, but it's a one time purchase. Once you have the game then you just play. Really one of my favorite card games ever, I just wish they were faster with expansion.

Duels of the Planeswalkers (MTG) - Only downside is that you are limited to the decks that are built into the game (unless you buy it for PC and download decks or make your own via the modding community). Also a one time purchase.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

I just came across Card Hunter a few weeks ago.  It's not quite like Hearthstone but more similar to Pathfinder: Adventure Card Game (which is fun to btw, but not digital) but with tactical turn-based combat like X-Com.

Card Hunter Pax Trailer

Card Hunter Site

Edit: It's also a browser game with a great F2P model, so definitely worth checking out since there is Zero cost and takes no HD space.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

These games all are promising and look fun, but I wouldn't want to play any on my PC. I only have so much time in front of my desktop and want to devote all my time there playing fantasy mmorpgs. These type of games are perfect for mobile platforms where you can play for short periods like when waiting at the airport or just can't be near a PC. 

I did give the Hearthstone a run and it was fun, but not enough to take over my time. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Woah! Thanks guys so many options in such a short time hehe.

Anyway I do have physical magic the gathering, pokemon, yugioh, duel masters and digimon cards lying around the house so I do like them a lot.

I mentioned hearthstone because quite frankly card games are not celebrated quite often so they usually get an after thought (For example apart of magic the gather I haven't heard of any of those) from certain gaming websites.

If you have anymore suggestions kindly keep them coming I really liked old school yugioh for example nowadays it turned into crap.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I don't know a ton about the genre, I play the real Magic the Gathering (not that much anymore), but I always wished their was a way to actually have the cards you play in a online card game also....Like if I played it, and I wanted, I could pay shipping or something and have the cards shipped to me that I owned in the online game...That way if I wanted to play at home with friends that maybe played the game I could.

I just have problems paying for virtual cards, that I cannot hold and own also.  I know this would be an added expense, but I don't know if anyone is doing this, since I don't follow the genre a ton.  Anyone know?

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by snoocky

Might and Magic Duel of Champions

http://www.duelofchampions.com/en/index.aspx

Just checked that out, looks like its alot of fun!. Thanks for posting :-)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Early access to SolForge is available on Steam and it seems pretty fun so far.

Have you tried the card games in any of the SOE titles?

Legends of Norrath is one, and both Clone Wars Adventures and Free Realms have CCGs in their list of games.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by snoocky
    Might and Magic Duel of Champions http://www.duelofchampions.com/en/index.aspx 

Yeah I downloaded this one the other day, looks good so far. I really like the changes they made to combat. I haven't played one of these since MTG first came out because I spent way too much money on those when they were new! (got more than my money back when I cashed out though so its all good)

OK checked them all and so far Shadow Era and Duel of Champions seems to have caught my eyes.

After checking some of those on youtube I kinda knew of some of them must have forgot about them.

If you ppl know of other even IOS card games I'll gladly check them out.

Thanks

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    There's also Legends of  Norrath, if you're into that kind of thing and Magic The Gathering: Online, which is a slightly older MMOCCG to Planeswalker, both are free but you have to buy cards and decks to boost yourself.  As for iOS I'm not sure as I use Android but if Rage of Bahamut is on iOS I recommend it.

imageimage

A game I really liked playing on my psp is the eye of judgment.

It is a "card game" but monsters show instead of cards, there's spells etc too I really enjoyed the game till the end.

(There's also on ps3 but I heard you'd need to buy the cards physically for it but it looks very very cool on the ps3)

• SpellshaperSpellshaper Member UncommonPosts: 419

The digital TCG I like the most is Infinity Wars, its still in beta but very playable (its real beta, not marketing one like HS): http://us.infinitywarsgame.com

you mentioned you have ios mobile

a solo card game option is to buy Card Warden -- allows you to convert physical card games into app versions

http://www.cardwarden.com/

like Pathfinders Runelords Card game

http://www.amazon.com/Pathfinder-Adventure-Card-Game-Runelords/dp/1601255500

Ok so from all games listed I ended up playing Might and Magic Duel of Champions.

The booster packs/decks are quite expensive but there's a single player story mode, tournaments and duels so it's not that bad. I had a duel today where after a couple of rounds my hero was 1 health and the enemy was full health (20) and I managed to beat him it was intense! Would have loved to see his facial expression from a game he was sure on winning to turn tides and beat him :D

Only thing I would prefer is if the view was vertical instead of horizontal, it would make the card game look better imo.