Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MapleStory: 3D MapleStory 2 Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Nexon has announced that MapleStory 2, a 3D version distinctly different, but related to, the original MapleStory is in the works. The announcement was made at this year's G-Star convention. A teaser site has launched with a 2014 launch date mentioned. Whether this is a worldwide release or Korean only is undetermined. We'll keep you posted as the story develops.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Cause we totally know ow good that works, you know like Ragnarok Online 2?

Seriously though, I'm curious if they pull it off. It seems to me a lot of companies don't realize the elements that made their old and original game so good are and can cause it to flop. Sure, I don't think its wrong to try to update it and make it work in the 'gaming scene' today (though I do hope not EVERYTHING is compromised since it makes mediocre games), but its to often you see the changes that come into effect end up making the series worst off.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    That sheep on the teaser site jumped the crap out of me.

Smile

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    It'll be interesting to see how they take a 2-D sidescroller into 3-D.
  • stego160stego160 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Perhaps it will look and play like Dragon Saga 
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by newbinator

I really don't think it works, at least not in the west.  There have been so many of those f2p 3D games with overly chibi characters that have come and gone.  RO2 would have been far better served by staying true to the original style and released something that looked like Wakfu.  Going 3D just tanked the whole franchise.

• tehnibitehnibi Member UncommonPosts: 7
    another Ragnarok Online 2 in the making I see
  • AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353
    haha it'll be just like RO2 with a slightly different story, slightly different skin, but nothing like the game its 'selling' itself using its name :P
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

This is one of those sequels that simply shouldn't be made 3D.

EDIT: Although, what i mean is that following up a game like this should respect is prequel in most aspects, rather than take it into a whole new direction and slapping the Maplestory label on it. Ragnarok Online 2, as many have already pointed out?

• ShadowVlicanShadowVlican Member UncommonPosts: 158

the fools up top didn't realize we just wanted a fully 3D version of RO... but they changed far too much and made it another lame asian MMO

maplestory will be the same

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i dont think theres any problem with an online game being 2D. They just want a piece of that 3D pie with Maple Story...

A good example of a 2D game that is much more fun than all the 3D games of the same type? Terraria

• deathx91deathx91 Member UncommonPosts: 9

MapleStory was already ruined like 5 years ago...

I remember when you could spend weeks reaching lvl 50+. Now you can get 100+ in a weekend ¬¬

So, i would love to see what changes they will make in MS2.

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Where's Mabinogi 2 first?
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by XilentStorm
    Where's Mabinogi 2 first?

You mean Vindictus 2? Mabinogi 2: Arena is not a true sequel to Mabinogi since it has literally none of the features that makes Mabinogi so unique.

Mabinogi 2: Arena is Vindictus with a couple new features. Even the graphics resemble one another.

Smile

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It could work if they do it well, but after seeing Nexon releases recently, I doubt it will be all that great.
  • MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93
    The most compelling and main reason for Maple Story being a big success, was because of the simple controls, and cute sprites, graphics and its overall charm. Now take that and change it, make it 3D, you are making it more complex than it needs to be. It will have its following, but not as big as MS original.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    3D is a pretty loose term now a days,I have seen some pretty bad 3D graphics.If they do it right,then it could be very interesting as the game has had a rather large following over the years.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Magicabbage
    The most compelling and main reason for Maple Story being a big success, was because of the simple controls, and cute sprites, graphics and its overall charm. Now take that and change it, make it 3D, you are making it more complex than it needs to be. It will have its following, but not as big as MS original.

Complex physics and visuals is ONLY difficult for the developer,as a user it creates nothing cumbersome or difficult at all,it is ONLY a good thing.Trying to figure out what makes a game a success is a never ending discussion,imo it never makes much sense,luck and timing are every bit as influential as the quality that went into a game.Even the title/name can be an influence.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• jcl14125jcl14125 Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by reeereee
    Originally posted by newbinator

I really don't think it works, at least not in the west.  There have been so many of those f2p 3D games with overly chibi characters that have come and gone.  RO2 would have been far better served by staying true to the original style and released something that looked like Wakfu.  Going 3D just tanked the whole franchise.

The maker of RO original actually in fact is making a new game in Korea that really is RO's real sequel. Search Tree of Saviors online on Steparu's youtube channel.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    I realize they're different genres, but Mario worked out for the better. It all depends on how they do it.
  • My problem with the new Maplestory 2 isn't that it can run on mac (That is great considering that is what I use at the moment), but my problem is that the art put into the backgrounds, foreground, and even the monsters and characters, while remaining cartoony, were entirely appealing and everything Always seemed to fit perfectly with the ambiance music! I believe the 3D, as shown with the video previews, is taking all that away. That is a real shame to me.

I haven't played Maplestory(The original) in years, but I seriously want to. If only they had worked on migrating the original code for Macintosh Use, that would have been great!

Either way, I say Good Luck. 5 years of production would be a waste if they just stopped, you know?