Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OH SNAP! Wushu added SEMI(??)-Loot PvP! What do you guys think?

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Wow I didn't even notice. That must be why the old venom tried to kill me 3 times yesterday. 

Okay, here's what it sounds like. For robbing carts, breaking people out of jail, kidnapping, and murder, if the player is around your same level of alignment (chivalrous, evil, arrogance or madness), you have a chance of looting silver quality items from that player. The defeated also has a chance of losing some skill progression, and/or cultivation. imageI had no clue.

What do you guys think about the system? I'm not familiar with any other semi-loot (fair, right?) systems. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Its worked out really well for Darkfall and Mortal Online so they should be fine.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by goboygo
    Its worked out really well for Darkfall and Mortal Online so they should be fine.

If I'm not mistaken, those are booth full loot. correct? Those two didn't not have a working crime and punishment system already in place either. I'm asking about this system itself though.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I'm not sure how this change would be appealing to anyone you'd actually want in the game that isn't there already. If you like the game and play it already ...cool if this type of thing is what you're looking for.

If you didn't play the game already .... oh now I can take people shit! ...yeah sounds like a great addition to any game community.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I'm not sure how this change would be appealing to anyone you'd actually want in the game that isn't there already. If you like the game and play it already ...cool if this type of thing is what you're looking for.

If you didn't play the game already .... oh now I can take people shit! ...yeah sounds like a great addition to any game community.

On top of possibly causing someone to lose skill/cultivation progression?  Yeh I can see this being exploited along with player bounty/constable system.  I must say it's always interesting to see Snail's decisions and which ones they end up reneging on.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Id play if it wasnt Wuxia lore
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I won't play ANY game with player looting.

I think this system was introduced to get more pvp going on. Same with the Mount Hua tournament invitation system. Wushu's bounty/crime and punishment system works so well at keeping the world civil, more incentive for someone to commit a crime will be welcomed. 

It can not be overstated, what the threat of five hours in jail does to anyone who thinks they are a "pk'r". Things do happen, but most are very cautious. Again, I think this will be a welcomed change for those who are willing to take the risk.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

Enjoy the other games out there then? The threat of competition against other players does nothing more than enhance a game and it builds a much stronger community.

• EncephalitisEncephalitis Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by Ender4

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

Enjoy the other games out there then? The threat of competition against other players does nothing more than enhance a game and it builds a much stronger community.

Whatever community is left, that is.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by Encephalitis

Originally posted by Ender4  

Originally posted by Shadanwolf I won't play ANY game with player looting.
    Whatever community is left, that is.

Games like EVE, EQ pvp servers, SB, AC, L2, UO etc all had really strong communities. PvP isn't the issue, it is making PvP have consequences so it isn't out of control that is the important part.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by bcbully

I think this system was introduced to get more pvp going on. Same with the Mount Hua tournament invitation system. Wushu's bounty/crime and punishment system works so well at keeping the world civil, more incentive for someone to commit a crime will be welcomed. 

It can not be overstated, what the threat of five hours in jail does to anyone who thinks they are a "pk'r". Things do happen, but most are very cautious. Again, I think this will be a welcomed change for those who are willing to take the risk.

this is an interesting phenomenon that i have wondered about for a while. if FFA PvP is so fun ... why do you need an incentive to do it?

they incentivize b/c most ppl don't find FFA PvP to be fun, would be my guess. so in order to get more nonPvP'rs to join the gankfest they have to somehow drag them in with incentives. and that just makes no sense to me. if people don't like something, then possibly that's because ... they don't like it. ;)

so instead of incentives i think perhaps that changing the formula or mechanics for FFA PvP would be in order. or just accept the fact that most folks don't enjoy it and quit trying to make them join in on it.

every time a discussion on this occurs the FFA PvP'r's inevitably insist that there should be materials or items that everyone needs in the FFA PvP zone. why? to strongarm others who don't enjoy to play 'npc' for you for a little while?

(don't misunderstand me. i do think that PvP'rs should always get unique PvP gear and items (even vanity items) that are only available doing PvP.)

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Originally posted by aspekx

this is an interesting phenomenon that i have wondered about for a while. if FFA PvP is so fun ... why do you need an incentive to do it?

they incentivize b/c most ppl don't find FFA PvP to be fun, would be my guess. so in order to get more nonPvP'rs to join the gankfest they have to somehow drag them in with incentives. and that just makes no sense to me. if people don't like something, then possibly that's because ... they don't like it. ;)

so instead of incentives i think perhaps that changing the formula or mechanics for FFA PvP would be in order. or just accept the fact that most folks don't enjoy it and quit trying to make them join in on it.

every time a discussion on this occurs the FFA PvP'r's inevitably insist that there should be materials or items that everyone needs in the FFA PvP zone. why? to strongarm others who don't enjoy to play 'npc' for you for a little while?

(don't misunderstand me. i do think that PvP'rs should always get unique PvP gear and items (even vanity items) that are only available doing PvP.)

Well, you see murder/pk'n is decentivized in Age of Wushu. Not banned, decentivized through the crime and punishment system. Jail, prison, and beheadings insure AoW is anything but a gankfest. Those pk'rs who would camp lowbies and kill indiscriminately quickly learned that 5 hours in jail is a high price to pay for ganking. 

This is why incentive to take more risk is a welcomed thing. Balance.

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Rewrote my answer a handful of times because I'm not sure how I feel.  I think what you're referring to is the "Big Jianghu" feature, right?  http://www.ageofwushu.com/static/ultimate_scrolls_topics/Big_Jianghu.html

I've got mixed opinions.  I don't think it has been explained well enough or introduced properly; I foresee a number of upset people when they suddenly learn they can lose progress and items now due to getting killed.  If you get to "Blood of Jianghu" levels, you can actually lose jade quality items which is nothing to sneeze at.  Add to this a F2P system where players can spend RL money to turn into unbound silver + items and it moves into rocky territory for me.  It is nice to have another reason to fight outside of script stealing, guild and school wars.  And having good aligned people fight against evil aligned folks fits the lore of the world pretty well.

The main problem I have is that it adds the (probably small) potential to shrink an already modest playerbase.  Either via defections from reformed carebears like myself who enjoyed the relatively non-hardcore, low-griefing open PvP of the game.  Or from turning off future newcomers who will now not only face an alpine climb to be competitive in fights but stand to lose what little gains they've made at the whims of opposing players. 

Snail has so many problems with bots, gold sellers, a wacky cash shop, and a very niche game that changing up their core formula too much doesn't make much sense.  A good thing is that players may have the option to avoid the system by staying at "Into Jianghu" levels.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Wow I didn't even notice. That must be why the old venom tried to kill me 3 times yesterday. 

Okay, here's what it sounds like. For robbing carts, breaking people out of jail, kidnapping, and murder, if the player is around your same level of alignment (chivalrous, evil, arrogance or madness), you have a chance of looting silver quality items from that player. The defeated also has a chance of losing some skill progression, and/or cultivation. imageI had no clue.

What do you guys think about the system? I'm not familiar with any other semi-loot (fair, right?) systems. 

Love the full loot, but I just can't play tab targeting anymore...it's just to easy and boring...

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

Originally posted by thecapitaine
    Rewrote my answer a handful of times because I'm not sure how I feel.  I think what you're referring to is the "Big Jianghu" feature, right?  http://www.ageofwushu.com/static/ultimate_scrolls_topics/Big_Jianghu.html

I've got mixed opinions.  I don't think it has been explained well enough or introduced properly; I foresee a number of upset people when they suddenly learn they can lose progress and items now due to getting killed.  If you get to "Blood of Jianghu" levels, you can actually lose jade quality items which is nothing to sneeze at.  Add to this a F2P system where players can spend RL money to turn into unbound silver + items and it moves into rocky territory for me.  It is nice to have another reason to fight outside of script stealing, guild and school wars.  And having good aligned people fight against evil aligned folks fits the lore of the world pretty well.

The main problem I have is that it adds the (probably small) potential to shrink an already modest playerbase.  Either via defections from reformed carebears like myself who enjoyed the relatively non-hardcore, low-griefing open PvP of the game.  Or from turning off future newcomers who will now not only face an alpine climb to be competitive in fights but stand to lose what little gains they've made at the whims of opposing players. 

Wow, great post. I wasn't aware of a possibility of jade dropping at higher tiers. It reads as silver quality. You are right though, it wasn't explained at all. I just happened to click the icon. Remember that people must be of the same alignment level aswell, so no old players ganking new.

I too have mixed feeling, but for other reasons. What if this system caused people to be even more careful? As it seems for me, a careful person anyways, is that this system raises the stakes. Where as I would fight 2v,3v,5v1 at times, just because and lose; now I will pass, and remove myself from that occasional situation. 

So yeah, certainly will be interesting.

Okay, here's how it works from what I see. 

It looks like when you kill or are killed by a person of different alignment, that is roughly your same "famed level" there is a chance. Famed leveled is determined by all the good and bad deeds you've done since creation. The levels are broken into three broad groups; In the Jianghu 0-899, Jianghu Trails and Hardships 900-9999, and Jianghu of Passion 10k and above. To give you a frame of reference, In my year I have a famed score of about 1600. What this means, is that there won't be a chance of a drop if a vet kills newbie.

When you do have issues with some in your famed range and there is a kill, there is a chance to drop. Cultivation (used to level skills) seems to be the most probably thing to drop, then maybe weapons. The person who is killed has the option of reclaiming what was lost by paying a fee dependent on what was dropped. This encounters are also recorded on your "Cases of Defeat" page. 

Pretty slick so far. Heading to Shaolin to  hunt some good people, bunch of do gooders there. image