Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is the f2p playable or is it too restricted?

It has been f2p for a while now, but I do not like the idea of restrictions, is the f2p part of the game playable or is it too restricted?

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

depends what you want to do. If you're just lvling a character it's not to bad. If you're trying to be an end game raider, it's not too friendly.

It's designed to get you to pay if you're going to be putting a lot of time into it.

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283

Thanks!

I do tend to spend a lot of time playing mmo's so think I will continue to avoid this game!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

its designed to make you pay unless all you want to do is the personal story.

With that said, no matter how much money you spend on the cash shop you are wasting your money because you are still restricted. Worst model so far. It wouldnt be so terrible if you could permanently lift all the restrictions through cash shop, but you cant.

You can definitelly enjoy the personal story, but if you want to play beyond that either subscribe or you are doomed to become a restricted whale.

I dont like saying that, but its the sad reality. I like the game, but their bad management killed it for me.

• heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    if all you do is lvling alts or pvp then its not so bad
  • maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Yeah even if you just sub one month you get to preferred status thats not bad at all.  I actually stopped paying a sub this month cause of the Xbox one and I still get to do fps, pvp, dailies, I have enough cartel points so also get to run ops.  The only thing Ive noticed that changed was i had to pay for matching gear and my credit cap is at 300k but i bought the 600k upgrade with my cartel points...like i said i have a lot saved up from subs.  
  • DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by rojo6934

With that said, no matter how much money you spend on the cash shop you are wasting your money because you are still restricted. Worst model so far. It wouldnt be so terrible if you could permanently lift all the restrictions through cash shop, but you cant.

You can definitelly enjoy the personal story, but if you want to play beyond that either subscribe or you are doomed to become a restricted whale.

I dont like saying that, but its the sad reality. I like the game, but their bad management killed it for me.

Not even sure that's the case. I've have two alts stuck in their mid-20s because they're under-leveled for the content due to the xp penalties. Now I could grind appropriate level flashpoints and group content, but that's not my idea of fun.  It's rather sad, because another truly f2p game that I've just started playing is Hearthstone, and I fully intend on buying packs in this game even though I don't have to. Oddly enough, Hearthstone will make more money off of me by being truly f2p than SWTOR will make from me by forcing me to sub.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by zasten

Thanks!

I do tend to spend a lot of time playing mmo's so think I will continue to avoid this game!

First of all, I absolutely hate this attitude.  If you are going to be playing a game for a while, don't be a complete cheapskate about it.  Get a job.

Having said that, the F2P experience in SW is really bad due to the punitive restrictions.  If you can afford an internet connection, then you can afford to not balk at actually paying for the games you play.  That's the exact reason this industry is so messed up right now.

You make me like charity

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by maxima29
    Yeah even if you just sub one month you get to preferred status thats not bad at all.  I actually stopped paying a sub this month cause of the Xbox one and I still get to do fps, pvp, dailies, I have enough cartel points so also get to run ops.  The only thing Ive noticed that changed was i had to pay for matching gear and my credit cap is at 300k but i bought the 600k upgrade with my cartel points...like i said i have a lot saved up from subs.  

There's other weird restrictions that serve no purpose other than to annoy people.  Like how you can't queue crafting items.  Each companion can craft only one thing at a time, which makes trying to level a craft really annoying.  Or how you only get to fast travel once every 2 hours.

One of the worst restrictions is that each character only gets 5 field revives.  After that, you either have to purchase a revive from the store or revive at a med center.  What sucks so bad about it is how most of the instance portals are buried pretty deep into caves and buildings and bunkers and stuff, which means you have to spend 15 minutes fighting through trash again just to get back to where you left off.

As an experienced player, it's not so bad because I can basically level a character to 50 without really dying, between knowing what to expect and having all the little legacy bonuses stacking up.  But for new players, it's an absolutely brutal restriction.  I know of several friends that I made in game who basically stopped playing once they ran out of their 5 free revives, due to the frustration.  Part of the problem they had was that with the reduced XP for F2P, most fights after about level 20 were against mobs 2 to 5 levels higher than they were.

Bioware definitely did not design their F2P system with the intention of creating long-term players.

You make me like charity

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Drakephire
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Not even sure that's the case. I've have two alts stuck in their mid-20s because they're under-leveled for the content due to the xp penalties. Now I could grind appropriate level flashpoints and group content, but that's not my idea of fun.  It's rather sad, because another truly f2p game that I've just started playing is Hearthstone, and I fully intend on buying packs in this game even though I don't have to. Oddly enough, Hearthstone will make more money off of me by being truly f2p than SWTOR will make from me by forcing me to sub.

exactly. You can buy stuff there even if you dont have to. In Swtor yoou HAVE to buy stuff if your arent subscribing, and astill be restricted to content no matter how much you paid. Grinding flashpoints for levels isnt fun for me either, but its even worst in swtor because you can only loot the last boss 3 times so you would basically grind dungeons for exp only. Its actually not odd at all that hearthstone would make more money off of you by being truly f2p. It is comon sense and a natural and common reaction. People are more willing to give you money when they appreciate your transparency as a company, not when your greed forces them to pay. Much less if they will still be restricted after paying.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

the only way to be sure , is to try it yourself

a download, some paper Work, and you will know

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

If you don't want to pay anything, then avoid  this game by all means. The F2P experience is not a fun one, in fact it's designed to force you to sub or live with restrictions that are really quite unacceptable.

imageimage
  • LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    As someone said above, I avoid this game because it forces you to pay.  Rift, however, which has a much better F2P model has seen a lot of my cash on aesthetics and baubles.  
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Its literally the most restricted F2P I ever seen.

At lvl 16 you hit brick wall.

I really wanted to keep playing but they dont even let you use all the skills as F2P account.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Interesting, people seem to be complaining that at some point you have to spend money, and yet there is not one single F2P game out there, that does not do the exact same thing, or in some cases, more often than not, with far more restrictions than is present in SW;TOR.

If people really begrudge paying money, then here's a tip, MMO's are not your thing.

Too many people seem to think that getting something for nothing is their right, and if they don't get it then they whinge and whine about how unfair life is. Time to grow up kiddies. Everything has a price. image

Originally posted by Phry

Interesting, people seem to be complaining that at some point you have to spend money, and yet there is not one single F2P game out there, that does not do the exact same thing, or in some cases, more often than not, with far more restrictions than is present in SW;TOR.

If people really begrudge paying money, then here's a tip, MMO's are not your thing.

Too many people seem to think that getting something for nothing is their right, and if they don't get it then they whinge and whine about how unfair life is. Time to grow up kiddies. Everything has a price. image

The point is that, if they decide to make it f2p then it should be f2p

If it is not truly f2p then that's fine (I don't mind if its p2w), but don't call it f2p!

I will not be playing it because I do not support companies that use any form of dishonest marketing approach to the product!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

If it is not truly f2p then that's fine (I don't mind if its p2w), but don't call it f2p!

I will not be playing it because I do not support companies that use any form of dishonest marketing approach to the product!

Then you are ignoring that its totally possible to play through the entire class storylines without ever paying a thing, sure you won't be able to equip purple gear, and quite a few of the quest rewards won't be available, nor will you be able to do much in the way of PVP at end game, or Operations as your limited to i think 2 every week.

The F2P is in fact an extended trial to all intents and purposes, there is no box price, there is no fee for however long you wish to try it. But if you want to engage in the end game and quite a bit of the content along the way to end game, then you have to either gain preferred status, or pay a sub. In what way exactly is that not fair?

the only dishonesty going on is the people whose sole raison d'etre is to avoid paying for the things they use. It seems to them, the idea of a fair use policy is anathema.image

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

This is exactly what f2p games are ... look at OP and tell me you want you guild or community look like this :D

No thank you ..

@OP please just stop making fools of us, all you care about is free fun and just admit you are not willing to pay anything for it. Stop blaming some dishonest marketing ..

f2p = as the name implies FREE to play!

Anything else is NOT f2p!

As I already said, I don't mind if a game is not FREE

The point I was making is that saying something is free and then having major restrictions on its use is not being completely honest!

• UserUndeletedUserUndeleted Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Thanks!

First of all, I absolutely hate this attitude.  If you are going to be playing a game for a while, don't be a complete cheapskate about it.  Get a job.

Having said that, the F2P experience in SW is really bad due to the punitive restrictions.  If you can afford an internet connection, then you can afford to not balk at actually paying for the games you play.  That's the exact reason this industry is so messed up right now.

No point in spending money on a filler MMO especially when the best part of the game is free. A penny saved is a penny earned after all.

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by UserUndeleted

Thanks!

No point in spending money on a filler MMO especially when the best part of the game is free. A penny saved is a penny earned after all.

But why should you expect these things for free?  A lot of money has gone into developing them and it has to be recouped somehow.  

There seems to be a slightly odd attitude of entitlement on these forums.  If I like a game I am happy to pay for it.  

• UserUndeletedUserUndeleted Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by LittleBoot
    Originally posted by UserUndeleted

Thanks!

But why should you expect these things for free?  A lot of money has gone into developing them and it has to be recouped somehow.  

There seems to be a slightly odd attitude of entitlement on these forums.  If I like a game I am happy to pay for it.  

It's not a matter of expecting things for free, what ever gave you that idea? Neither do I owe the developers anything.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    The reduced xp is prob the worst restriction, soon you will find it to difficult to level and you will either have to buy xp paks, or become a sub, at any rate going through without paying anything is brutal
  • maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    The reduced xp is prob the worst restriction, soon you will find it to difficult to level and you will either have to buy xp paks, or become a sub, at any rate going through without paying anything is brutal

And it should be!!

Not free enough is just a BS point a view.  Stop eating at mcDs twice a week and there is your $15.  I recently switched to f2p cause of Helms Deep and Xbox one coming out, granted my toons are max levels and i had some cartel points saved up.  I can run everything.  The only thing I have noticed to be different is i couldnt match my gear (oh my horrible), i can have 350K credits but bought and increast up to 600k and have 3million in reserve (again oh my horrible).  The only thing that really changed was i could not run ops without spending 240 cartel points for the weekly pass.  If you are that cheap and wont spend 240 cartel points which equals to about $2.50 then you should just leave the game and stop posting on it cause you are just (well cant say it but you know what you are).  

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

The game failed so it had to go F2P, to me a game that fails should have almost no restrictions on F2P, they should be bending over and thanking those who play that they stuck around for the substandard product they put out.

Starting out F2P is completely different. This was a poorly made game that couldn't hold a player base, that is very different.

The answer is expect to spend $15 to at least get preferred status if you want to play this game long. You can get by on preferred status. The game in no way shape or form is worth $15 a month though.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

SWOTR ist the worst FTP game i tried yet.

Basically you can move (not far tho) and turn your camera around for free. But that's it.  Ok, a little less drastic, but it feels like it. I tried to get back into the game and was really annoyed. Cash shop flags all over the interface, every step reminds you of the possibility to waste cash.

Hell, even whatever you buy ingame also has a much bigger button labeled "get this with only 7 euro" on it.

Short: Playing this one free is annoying to say the least.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?