Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: Magic and Mayhem

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

It's been a huge week for WildStar news, news that we have been watching closely. We've got a wrap report and analysis of all that's been revealed recently. Keep reading before heading off to the comments.

According to Carbine, a major part of beta feedback focused on character customization. In short, players didn’t feel like they had enough ways to focus on how they wanted to play, and the choices they did have were heavily focused on gear. The studio rose to the challenge, responding with two interlocking mechanisms – Ability Tiers and Advanced Modification Protocols (AMPs). 

Read more of Gareth Harmer's WildStar: Magic and Mayhem.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    Just a quick note that I forgot in my flu-addled state: the UI shots, particularly the AMP system, are a work in progress and definitely not final. 
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • NorewonNorewon Member UncommonPosts: 100

The more and more I read the more I get hyped. I'm trying very hard not to get to excited but its damn hard not to.

p.s. It has been confirmed that there are brackets in pvp battlegrounds:

Level 6-14
    Level 15-29
    Level 30-49

HELLO TWINKS :)

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    I typically HATE limited action sets but at least it is 10 skills and not 8, 7 or even fewer. Might manage to keep my interest enough in making combos that work.

You stay sassy!

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152
    JUST RELEASE THE GAME ALREADY /cry
  • darkthund3rdarkthund3r Member UncommonPosts: 21
    @SmellyNanner: And release it to millions of people, half-finished, bug-filled and messy? No thanks. While i'd love to play the game TODAY, i'm perfectly content with waiting a few extra months while they continue to polish it up.

//

bah re-post sry
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I keep getting excited than unexcited and then excited again for this game lol

Smile

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

I'll be interested into seeing what Hybrids can be made with certain class types and whether or not I can made a Druid-like character in the game.  

What I find really bothersome about their AMPs right now is that you're required to have put points into one next to the other in order to get the PvP AMPs you want.  So for PvP Offensive, you'd have to put points into either Hybrid or Assault;  for PvP Defensive, you'd have to put into either Support or Hybrid.   The problem is that it's a bit limiting if say, someone wanted to do PvP in pure damage as a Warrior through the Assault, but for the PvE dungeons/raids they wanted to be a Tank through the Support line.

It's still more open than WoW's system (from the old systems I was familiar with MoP), in that there are PvP specific trait lines instead of just divvying it up from the PvE lines.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Wow! So much has changed from the first videos. I like what is happening. Still not a fan of action combat but love they are doing otherwise. Really excited for this game!!!
  • rwrzrwrz Member UncommonPosts: 2

I think Wildstar will be another MSORPG ( Massive Solo Online RPG ).. hehehe That's why there is any video os group play... or anything like this.

A WoW like, but with more content! bah!

In Lak'Ech
    Im another of you

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I for one am liking the combat, Im bored of the old WoW like combat that's mostly just RnG for hits and misses.  Also these games are only solo if you make it that way.  If you are social and play with friends or get in a nice friendly guild and not be an ass hat you should always have good people to group with.
    Originally posted by rwrz

I think Wildstar will be another MSORPG ( Massive Solo Online RPG ).. hehehe That's why there is any video os group play... or anything like this.

A WoW like, but with more content! bah!

I noticed you do, that's why you created this.

http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/wildstar-just-another-massive-single-player.6828/

Although there is more then enough info in here to explain why it is not I highly doubt it will change your mind. All I can say is why not wait for open beta and see if you like it?

Oh and there is group play, been plenty of vids on it at Pax and other gaming conventions, they have been out a while....."cough" do research..."cough" stop being lazy :)

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Norewon

The more and more I read the more I get hyped. I'm trying very hard not to get to excited but its damn hard not to.

Level 6-14
    Level 15-29
    Level 30-49

Mandatory experience gains in PvP will force any twinks out.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by Isawa
    Originally posted by Norewon

Level 6-14
    Level 15-29
    Level 30-49

Mandatory experience gains in PvP will force any twinks out.

Good.  That is one of the things that make RPG pvp so terrible.  

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

"In short, players didn’t feel like they had enough ways to focus on how they wanted to play, and the choices they did have were heavily focused on gear. The studio rose to the challenge...Instead of having masses of seldom-used abilities that demand multiple hotkey bars, WildStar uses a Limited Action Set of ten abilities"

Yes, because lack of choices = choices?!?

Seriously, you guys try WAY TOO HARD to make these games sound as if they are good. Face it, its another dumbed down game offering limited combat.  If I want to play an MMO with crap combat, I will play a console based multiplayer RPG meant for limited controllers. Sure as hell don't play PC MMOs for crap like this.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• BlackadderaBlackaddera Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by jtcgs

"In short, players didn’t feel like they had enough ways to focus on how they wanted to play, and the choices they did have were heavily focused on gear. The studio rose to the challenge...Instead of having masses of seldom-used abilities that demand multiple hotkey bars, WildStar uses a Limited Action Set of ten abilities"

Seriously, you guys try WAY TOO HARD to make these games sound as if they are good. Face it, its another dumbed down game offering limited combat.  If I want to play an MMO with crap combat, I will play a console based multiplayer RPG meant for limited controllers. Sure as hell don't play PC MMOs for crap like this.

Nope it's about skill, selecting the best abilities. Knowing how and when to use 'em. That is challenging. What you want is an easy game. Well not me, I want a game that is challenging. And that is what Wildstar gives, 40-man or 20-man raids, bosses that change set-up every week. Real tactics, if you don't like it than buzz-off.

the steel shines red with enemy blood. It sings of victory, granted by the gods. And as they return bleeding but proud, the horizon burns and the song is ringing LOUD!

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by jtcgs 

Having a limited action set does not mean crap combat per se.

MMOs like Warcraft present the illusion of choice. Sure, you might have 40 different abilities in your spellbook, but you generally tend to use about 5 at a time, with a couple of situational abilities being thrown in when needed. The chance of needing all 40-something during a single encounter is very, very rare.

You still have a large amount of abilities to choose from, depending on how you want to build your loadout and what role you're playing, so the choice is there. Plus you can change it any time you're not in combat. So there's still all the choice you could want.

Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485
    This is the MMO I am most excited about. The real question is can they leverage their superior engine before WoW badly copies their evolutionary innovations.
  • vernesvernes Member UncommonPosts: 79

I am looking forward to try this.

Something new to sink my teeth into.

So far it looks promising, and I have a group of screwballs who will jump into the game as well. So there is a big chance this will be a keeper. 

There is a lot of talk about individuality in both cosmetic as well as skill build, this is something that speaks to me the most.