Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play this game? (extreme permadeath)

2»

Comments

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Good Lord, what's next? Forcing players to sit on a trapdoor which opens up into a pit full of rabid weasels upon character death? This concept sounds like about as much fun as a sucking chest wound, only without the interesting scar afterwards.

So uh... no.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,956
    This is the sort of thing that gives old school a bad name. You do not need permadeath to be old school, you do not need permadeath full stop
  • MythrylMythryl Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Absolutely not.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Craio

The concept is based on Sword Art Online.

Imagine a game with the following:

• A world consisting of floors to unlock (with big boss (very hard to kill) at door to the next )
    • Sandbox
    • Perma-death and not allowed to make a new character on the server (once you left the world there's no turning back).
    • Minimum/Maximum start population for each 'instance' of the world (so an 'instance' only start if enough players have registered).
    • No resurrection possibilities(except an item obtained from a extremely rare mob that allows one rez)

How would you play in this world?

• Be a crafter and just follow to the next floor whenever it is opened (little to no risk of dieing)
    • Be someone that just 'plays' on a floor till the next is unlocked (if ever) (more risk but fairly predictable)
    • Be part of the vanguard that takes on the bosses (high risk)
    • (if PVP is allowed) go around killing anyone that's an easy target

Now I know that such a project would be hard to sell to investors and have plenty of issues to solve (fe. what to do if the population becomes to low to take on a boss or not enough people willing to try it). But it just seems interesting to see how players would react to such a ruleset.

So which playstyle would you pick? I'd problably start as crafter and slowly work towards vanguard.

Making a game based off of SAO is impossible. No one would want to play a game where there is full loot PvP (which was a big part of SAO) plus permadeath and the only way to progress to more content being to defeat extremely hard bosses that have a high chance to kill you.  I just don't see a big enough player base for that type of MMORPG.

Even in the anime players were constantly worried about dying because of how completely merciless the game's systems were (given that if they died in-game they died in real).

I have wanted an MMO where dungeons were based on a tower and the stronger you got the higher up you could go. I believe Blade & Soul has such a system and there is an anime MMORPG coming out from Aeria Games (I know, terrible game publisher) that also sounds like it is going to have this system too. The game is called Aura Kingdom.

Smile

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Not just no, but HELL NO!
  • GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

The problem with perma-death is the investment the player has in the character not just in terms of advancing the character but also the emotional investment of time spent "wearing thier skin" it's not like losing a piece in an RTS where you might be disappointed but...big shrug....it's 5 minutes to create another piece and the game only lasts an hour anyway.

For the MMORPG....you want the player to feel a sting associated with death, so there is a real difference between success and failure....but you don't want it to be something that prevents the players FUTURE enjoyment of the game. Basicaly (IMO) it should cost the player something which takes the player some time and effort to recover from...but it should be entirely recoverable in some fashion.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Not a chance in the world.  If permadeath is involved, count me out.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246

Yes, I would play it but only if the rewards for success would justify the risk.

I have found permadeath fun in other games  as long as the journey before the ultimate death imprinted a long lasting positive memory.

Seems expensive though.

-WL

• xDracxDrac Member UncommonPosts: 201
    If it was a real Sword Art Online, I certainly would play it.

Web & Graphic Design - www.xdrac.com

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

Yeah, I'm not really interested in extreme permadeath.

Personally, standard permadeath games are more my style.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I wouldn't nor could I.

I know there are plenty of people with plenty of time to game due to numerous reasons where some can be aproved, some can  simple only be accepted.

So I feel for those gamers this might be a fun challenging game.

Myself just don't have enough time o enjoy such type of game. I am a very patient gamer and really take my time but I do feel my gaming time is sort of to short to have this type of extreme permadeath.

• donoakdonoak Member UncommonPosts: 37

No!

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629
  • EncephalitisEncephalitis Member UncommonPosts: 78

Given that it isn't some B2P or sub game, i would give it at least 1 shot. Based around how that one shot turned out, i may try it a second time but im positive it would be a one-and-done.

As for what i would do whilst playing it? Dunno. I Can say for certain tho, that eventually I'll be out trying to grind for mats to craft, and ill get ganked and that will be the end of my play. I'll come back a second time and before i even step 6 feet outside, ill get jumped by some 20-something pissing on newbs because "lelelel, open world pvp rules". At which point, ill logout, open the control panel and uninstall the game.

It honestly wouldn't be much different than how dayz/warz works. I would estimate a 3 month lifespan where things are "playable", if that.