Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQN twitch?

KremchekKremchek Member Posts: 49

I've seen a lot of people say that EQN is going to have "twitch" or "action" combat. Whatever you choose to call it, I've seen no indication of this in any of the information or videos they have shown. EQN:L, based on the videos we've seen, looks very much like your basic "tab targeting" style gameplay. Would they really have two different targeting styles for the games they are making at the same time?

Let me know your thoughts. I'm not sure how I feel about this either way...but interested to hear just WHY people are thinking they already know what style we're going to be using.

Thanks.

Comments

• KremchekKremchek Member Posts: 49
    Anyone?
  • Dward127Dward127 Member Posts: 46
    action mmos seem to be the in thing for now. and from the videos i have seen it is action based combat. im not overly fond of action based mmos for pc i think they should stay on consoles but to each their own.
    I know what you're seeing, but those could just as easily be mapped keys for the movements you're seeing rather than action combat. I don't know what it is going to be, but would the really make Landmark with a different camera/combat style than Next?
  • wizardanimwizardanim Member Posts: 278
    Originally posted by Kremchek

I've seen a lot of people say that EQN is going to have "twitch" or "action" combat. Whatever you choose to call it, I've seen no indication of this in any of the information or videos they have shown. EQN:L, based on the videos we've seen, looks very much like your basic "tab targeting" style gameplay. Would they really have two different targeting styles for the games they are making at the same time?

Let me know your thoughts. I'm not sure how I feel about this either way...but interested to hear just WHY people are thinking they already know what style we're going to be using.

Thanks.

I don't think we will hear anything official on this for a while.  With that said, when you consider the promise of an augmented AI, I feel that action combat is a good current working estimate.

If the AI for a creature responds in a manner you don't expect, there is probably a small window of time the player has to interact w/ the creature.  The option to react or not react is effectively the definition of action/twitch combat.  

Is tab targeting a combat style? Twitch just touches on action/reaction in a concurrent manner.  Whoever is better apt to handle the situation via skills and reaction time will win.  Sounds like the way they are going to me.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Action based can still have tab targeting, to be honest they are awful when they don't.

I'm going to guess the combat is like GW2 but it is simply a guess, they haven't gone into details.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    When this game finally comes out there will be flying cars and warp drives.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• MMO-VeteranMMO-Veteran Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by Dward127
    action mmos seem to be the in thing for now. and from the videos i have seen it is action based combat. im not overly fond of action based mmos for pc i think they should stay on consoles but to each their own.

Yeah! Pc Games should be all about macros and tab targeting!

/end sarcasm

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Thanks.

Guessing you missed all the EQN SoE Live coverage?

The combat is pretty obviously action based. Go look up a combat video. The skills the mage and the fighter were using were clearly not tab targeted.

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    Originally posted by evilastro

Thanks.

The combat is pretty obviously action based. Go look up a combat video. The skills the mage and the fighter were using were clearly not tab targeted.

This!!! So excited to play this game on PS4.

Originally posted by evilastro

Thanks.

I didn't miss those videos. Although I understand what you saw or think you saw...there was no indication of what style of gameplay/combat their would be. Tab Targeting is not something limited to sitting there and attacking mindlessly. Look at gw2. If you saw that without knowing it was tab target, you could possibly see it being twitch/action. Characters can jump around and do cool moves like that with tab targeting as well. I think it is going to be tab targeting and will not come out on ps4. I will be the first to eat crow if I'm wrong, and will still play the heck out of it as EQ is my favorite franchise by far...I just don't agree.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I beleive it was the Q&A panel at Live but Darren specifically was asked if tab target fans would have to skip this game and he said it would appeal to both sides. We'll see what that means soon enough.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Keep in mind that while GW2 is 'tab targeting' it isn't the same as what people think of when they think of tab targeting games. If I target Mob A and start an attack and Mob B steps in front of Mob A the attack hits Mob B in GW2. If I'm a long distance away from a Mob and I do my attack while it is moving and it is changing directions my attacks will miss.

GW2 is a combination of action and tab targeting and that is probably the system that most games will evolve into in the short term.