Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE Everquest Next: Landmark stream archive from yesterday. LOTS of great stuff in here, questions,

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa
    Originally posted by Ender4

Yep Tibernicuspa, that is all the game is going to be, you build stuff and they just lied about all the other stuff they said would be in there.

Like what? They hinted at combat. They said you can mine things.

That doesn't sound like much. Certainly not Minecraft level. They're not going to make this a full fledged game, because it would directly compete with EQNext.

Yeah, they mentioned things like combat and needing weapons to kill NPC monsters, I assume for their materials and to progress your character, so we'll see what they share and when these features will be in game.

One thing I think is entertaining is their "good ole boy" routine when they pitch selling these early access packs to players.  They make it sound like they are doing the players a huge favor by "permitting" them to join in the game so early.

I would be far more honest for them to say, we realized that some portion of you are willing to pay for this early access, and a few trinkets, so we're more than happy to sell that to you.

I know, we all are aware this is what's really going on, but its the front they put up on it that's a bit annoying.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by Ender4 Yep Tibernicuspa, that is all the game is going to be, you build stuff and they just lied about all the other stuff they said would be in there.
    Like what? They hinted at combat. They said you can mine things.

That doesn't sound like much. Certainly not Minecraft level. They're not going to make this a full fledged game, because it would directly compete with EQNext.

They said that they would put AI into it. They commented on hunting for resources and not just gathering. They said it would have PvP. They actually said it would be a full fledged MMORPG of its own. They repeatedly said it would be able to handle running a D&D campaign via the tools. They insinuated that you could make your own MMORPG using the tools. I don't know how much of it I buy but it isn't going to just be build stuff and that is it, they have made that very clear.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    So they are making two MMO,,. Why not just combine both games? and What exactly is EQ Next?
  • TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    So they are making two MMO,,. Why not just combine both games? and What exactly is EQ Next?

EQNL = Complete sandbox, anything is possible

EQN = Character development, fantasy setting MMO with sandbox elements

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Tygranir

EQNL = Complete sandbox, anything is possible

EQN = Character development, fantasy setting MMO with sandbox elements

EQN is going to be Sony professional/fantasy/EQ style built, they are going to from the sounds of it have story stuff, dungeons and probably raids that they build, the 40 classes, all the stuff in landmark tool wise, but to put stuff into it, it will have to be fantasy based and fit the vision of EQ.  So EQN will be a professionally built, full featured mmo.

Landmark will be more of a freedom thing, where people are given a generated world(s), then they can make a sci-fi themed area, dungeons, whatever they want.  It has the only 1 class (atleast to start), and it sounds like you will get extra abilities through weapons and such, they haven't said much beyond that.  I would not be surprised if eventually people could make their own monsters and such....Then as a player you would be able to go build/play these created areas.

I personally am more interested in Next, but I can see how people would love Landmark also, if you can basically make your own type of mmo.  I imagine it will take some time to polish everything and add features, but from the looks of things, they will be able to eventually make it into your own mmo starter kit (how they monetize this, I don't know).  They said you could do pvp, have castle areas built, have sieges, etc....  It kind of is limitless in the end, will it be to start, I highly doubt it....But it is a fully functioned sandbox that you are supposed to have the tools that they use to make Next.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

The PLAYERS were given the tools to make them. Landmark doesn't have redstone, as far as I can tell?

Not to mention people didn't start buying Minecraft until they added the day and night cycle with defending your shit against creepers and zombies.

Landmark does have that stuff or is planned to have that stuff and yes they are giving players the tools to make them.

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    it tough for me as am interested but worried this nothing more then a pet project with lot promise an little delivered

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Georgeson commentary from last month

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danieltack/2013/10/02/everquest-next-landmark-is-much-more-than-a-world-builder/

EverQuest Next Landmark is a full MMORPG experience.  

This may seem difficult to take in, considering that it’s also sort of a precursor to another complete MMORPG, EverQuest Next.

It boils down to two full MMORPGs with the same building blocks but different focal points.  

EverQuest Next Landmark will be deeply based in creative, building, and exploratory experiences

whereas EverQuest Next itself will feature story driven aspects and progression.  

While these are completely dissimilar titles, they will share many of the same underlying systems.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I am pretty excited. The building tools are very nice, something that Minecraft lacks. I suppose that the communities between Minecraft and EQN:L will have their venomous comments and fair share of haters/fanboys. However, I am just happy that so much attention is being given to builder games outside of the scope of sim games.

Waiting impatiently for more information.

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    I'm sold. Was not really into this at first but buying a founder pack after learning more.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    If what they are claiming becomes true and the same dev tools used to build EQN will be in LM I can see it really taking a life of its own outside of "EQN content builder". Those who come up with fan fiction and the like will actually be able to make it into reality.
  • ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by Aelious
    If what they are claiming becomes true and the same dev tools used to build EQN will be in LM I can see it really taking a life of its own outside of "EQN content builder". Those who come up with fan fiction and the like will actually be able to make it into reality.

I still get confused. If EQL will have a lot of the same systems as EQN with mobs, combat, pvp-(I know many would be added after launch), why 2 games? I know both are f2p so people can play both easily and cheaply, but it makes my simple mind hurt trying to figure out whats in which game and how they're being implemented.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by ropenice
    Originally posted by Aelious

I still get confused. If EQL will have a lot of the same systems as EQN with mobs, combat, pvp-(I know many would be added after launch), why 2 games? I know both are f2p so people can play both easily and cheaply, but it makes my simple mind hurt trying to figure out whats in which game and how they're being implemented.

I've always worded it this way

Landmark is a full-fledged MMO. It's a glorified Minecraft with more possibilities. You aren't going to see the character progression/etc that Next will have. You can partake in any theme you want. Sci-fi, Western, Greece, etc. There will even be a Norrath part I believe. SOE also said the AI/etc that is being used in Next will be worked through in Landmark. So Landmark is almost serving like a beta for Everquest Next in a lot of ways.

Next is a full-fledged MMORPG. It's the next Norrath Everquest MMORPG. If you dont like anything about Minecraft, you can still like Everquest Next. If you dont like anything about Minecraft, you probably won't like Landmark. Even though they did say if you aren't a builder, there is still lots of things for you to do in Landmark.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Ropenice

I agree with hMJem although with Landmark hopefully there will be added abilities to combat, maybe even an open skill system. This has not been stated or alluded to at all.

This is how I see it when both MMOs have blossomed:

Landmark = Many MMO worlds (servers) built by players.

EQN = MMO world build by SoE

Both will have the same tools and almost the same systems, minus classes in EQN, but the difference is one is built by SoE and one is a collective build by the players.