Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE Everquest Next: Landmark stream archive from yesterday. LOTS of great stuff in here, questions,

hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

http://www.twitch.tv/everquestnext/b/479480042

To be honest, this might have been better than SOE Live.

I admittingly am more excited for Everquest: Next than I am Landmark, but I'm starting to see what Landmark can be: A fully player created MMO. There will be combat, there will be monsters, you can create your own dungeons if you wish.

While I am much more excited for Everquest Next, I am definitely going to partake in Landmark until then.

I finally get that they want to dominate the "Minecraft" crowd and the MMORPG crowd.

Landmark can be a glorified, much better Minecraft.

Everquest Next can change the MMORPG genre.

Very informative stream!!

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by hMJem

http://www.twitch.tv/everquestnext/b/479480042

To be honest, this might have been better than SOE Live.

I admittingly am more excited for Everquest: Next than I am Landmark, but I'm starting to see what Landmark can be: A fully player created MMO. There will be combat, there will be monsters, you can create your own dungeons if you wish.

Been done already https://ryzomcore.atlassian.net/wiki/display/RC/Ryzom+Core+Home

And http://www.ryzom.com/en/mmorpg-rpg-mmo-ryzom_ring.html

While I am much more excited for Everquest Next, I am definitely going to partake in Landmark until then.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ryzom+core&sm=12

I finally get that they want to dominate the "Minecraft" crowd and the MMORPG crowd.

Lol, still talking about EQN dominating.

Landmark can be a glorified, much better Minecraft. Their is already a mmo that is already better than minecraft it's called Wurm Online https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueIzp5w2QzY

Everquest Next can change the MMORPG genre. Really! how so?

Very informative stream!!

Looking forward to EQN/L though.

• KharishaKharisha Member Posts: 38

and what are you trying to prove with these NICHE and crappy MMORPG's with the small indie budget here?

I saw these games. they look like crap with horrible engines in them and the fact that EQL uses voxel-based engine trumps everything that is in these two games combined was made. The fact that SOE use Story Bricks for AI is going to let me make fantastic dungeons with smart AI and great encounters.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I happen to stumble upon this yesterday, I cant believe this, but i am going to end up buying a founders pack, i liked what i saw, i still have questions how fine of detail we can create, but the tools in place look easy to use and fun.
  • Burdoc101Burdoc101 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Looking pretty cool. Glad I bought the trailblazer pack.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

grrr i need to wait until i get home from work to watch it

found this summary on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1qkklq/eqn_landmark_livestream_111313_at_4pm_pacific/

Here are the takeaways that I found interesting:

• In-game footage of the Founder Pack outfits.
    • Game launching with Human races (more races may/may not be added later).
    • Wipes planned: Hard wipe between Alpha/Closed Beta (keep character, templates... but wipe all character progress, claims, resources). Softer wipe between Closed Beta/Open Beta (only character progression and claims wiped).
    • You'll never lose something you paid money for (Landmark Founder items/titles/outfits) in a wipe.
    • Landmark Founder items will not apply to EQN (different itemization/game)
    • Upgrading Founder packs already available.
    • "Gifting" Founder packs coming soon.
    • The Founder pickaxe is a combo item (pick for mining and axe for lumber, without swapping main hand). It is the "best" quality Tier 1 pick (highest rate of mining, but only mines Tier 1 nodes). It is also the "lowest" quality Tier 5 axe (can gather ALL lumber nodes in game, but at the slowest rate). It will not break or wear out.
    • Controls: Change voxel brush size with scroll wheel
    • Hotkey 1 = Select area (drag corners/planes of rectangle to change area selected), can copy and paste (ctrl c, ctrl v), save as template. Can use Tab to rotate in all three axes and resize when selected/pasting/moving. Can fill area, can delete area.
    • Hotkey 2 = Place voxels (change "yellow cube" tooltip size with scroll wheel). Popup menu for building material selection.
    • Hotkey 3 = Delete voxels (change "red cube" tooltip size with scroll wheel). Can delete existing terrain (excavation). Can also delete with red spherical tooltip.
    • Hotkey 4 = Heal tool. Restores to server default within "green sphere" tooltip (healing tootip area size increases/decreases with scroll wheel).
    • Hotkey 5 = Smoothing tool, rounds the surfaces within the "blue sphere" tooltip (smoothing tootip area size increases/decreases with scroll wheel).
    • Hotkey 6 = Painting tool swaps existing materials with the newly selected material within a "purple sphere" tooltip (painting tootip area size increases/decreases with scroll wheel).
    • Hotkey 7 = Line tool. Fills in space between two selected surfaces. Can independently change size of both ends of fill (e.g., make a pyramid shaped column between the floor and the ceiling by selecting large square on floor and small square on ceiling).
    • It wasn't immediately clear if ALL tools could operate in both "cube" and "sphere" tooltip, but I saw Delete used in both modes.
    • When your player-placed materials are swapped via Paint or deleted, you get the building materials back in your inventory.
    • Smallest size of voxel was maybe about 0.5 meter? So, super-fine details may be a bit more limited than I had hoped (see 25:15 in video).
    • Fine details (furniture, decorations, et cetera) are called Props. Find recipes, craft them, buy them trade them, design them.
    • Props will be sizable (select and scroll wheel) and movable in all three axes (select arrows and click drag).
    • Alpha will have an NDA (non-disclosure agreement). Beta's may or may not.
    • NDA in Alpha forums too.
    • Combat is coming after launch.
    • Everything you get from the Founder Packs will persist through all phases of Landmark (obviously Alpha access doesn't matter once Alpha is over).
    • There will be "water", but it's not finished.
    • Continent size: the one in video was 4000x8000x1500 meters. Claim size is still being tuned.
    • Georgeson doubled-down on his "build your own MMO" vision for Landmark. NPC tools, storybrick tools, et cetera... will get released in Landmark as they are developed for EQN.
    • Non-builders will still have things to do in Landmark. Explore the huge world, harvest, work the market, combat will be coming. Not tied to server, so you can wander the imaginations of millions of players as an explorer.
    • You can open up your plot's Permissions to guildmates, friends lists, or specific players.
    • Can add lightsource Props.
    • There will be interactable/animated Props (like doors), but they will be coming over time. Doors by launch.
    • Being able to fly/levitate while you build is a tool that you unlock as your character progresses. This is a "within your plot" building mode, not an "overland movement mode".
    • Only mentioned briefly in passing, but apparently the world Map will have some feature that shows what "style" of plots are in a neighborhood? (46:30)

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Kharisha

and what are you trying to prove with these NICHE and crappy MMORPG's with the small indie budget here?

Niche is not a bad word, considering every non niche MMO has been garbage and generally a WoW clone.

Ryzom and Wurm have features that are far more interesting, far deeper, and far better made than anything I've seen out of Landmark.

Landmark stinks of a side project that they're adding basic functionality to to try to bankroll EverQuest Next.

It looks like an incredibly shallow stripped down version of Minecraft.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

If they continue to reinforce this idea of creative uniqueness, I may just end up falling in love with this game. I hope they allow for just as much creative freedom in all aspects of game play in Everquest next/landmark.

Would be even more amazing if we could create our own characters, design their hair,etc with simple tools just like they used in the demonstration in this video. I just see no reason to stop at buildings.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

Niche is not a bad word, considering every non niche MMO has been garbage and generally a WoW clone.

Ryzom and Wurm have features that are far more interesting, far deeper, and far better made than anything I've seen out of Landmark.

Landmark stinks of a side project that they're adding basic functionality to to try to bankroll EverQuest Next.

I didn't see any of what you did I guess. EQNL looks like a much more detailed and in depth Minecraft if anything. EQNL is the closest thing to a pure sandbox I have ever seen, especially since Voxels are the digital equivilant of sand.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Only Minecraft looks even worse then Pong. While I think that content/playability > graphics, Minecraft looks like a abandoned alpha project of Lego Online.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

I was paying some attention to your post until the last line, which clearly proves that you aren't using any common sense here but are just bashing for the sake of bashing.

What you call "shallow stripped down" looks more like a hugely beefed up version. Anyone who watched the totality of that video would know that. Once Minecraft has smooth surfaces, wedges and all the other tools Landmark already has in that early alpha demo, we will speak again. Until then, Minecraft is stone age compared to Landmark.

I'm not talking about the building, specifically, being able to smooth voxels and change colors is nice.

But the day you can build elaborate traps, grow crops, tame animals, and all the numerous things you can do in Minecraft, in EQL, it'll seem stripped down.

Do none of you understand that there's more to minecraft than the building of houses? If it was just about building houses, it would have gotten boring ages ago. You can actually DO things in Minecraft, and its a living world.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Do none of you understand that there's more to minecraft than the building of houses? If it was just about building houses, it would have gotten boring ages ago. You can actually DO things in Minecraft, and its a living world.

Judging a released game to a pre alpha one that you've seen a couple videos of is kind of a poor idea. They have stated that EQL will be much more than just building things. If you choose to not believe them than there isn't going to be much worthwhile discussion about it.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    i believe minecraft lacks player trading  (beyond NPCs) - someone correct me if I'm wrong
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Nadia
    i believe minecraft lacks player trading  (beyond NPCs) - someone correct me if I'm wrong

You can drop items by hitting Q in Minecraft.  The other player can then run over and pick it up.

About the livestream:  I was really impressed.  I have spent over 60+ hours in Neverwinter's Foundry system and of course spent my time in Minecraft (mostly Survival mode however.) 

The toolset that EQN:L showed blew both of those games and pretty much anything else I've seen out of the water. 

And that's the base foundation of what they have right now.  Pretty exciting stuff.

• ghost047ghost047 Member UncommonPosts: 597
    Too me, it looks like a bad Project Spark clone with a lot less feature and freedom!

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

Originally posted by Ender4

Judging a released game to a pre alpha one that you've seen a couple videos of is kind of a poor idea.

Yet this whole thread is full of people saying this will be way better than Minecraft.

Originally posted by Ender4   Originally posted by Tibernicuspa   Do none of you understand that there's more to minecraft than the building of houses? If it was just about building houses, it would have gotten boring ages ago. You can actually DO things in Minecraft, and its a living world.
      Judging a released game to a pre alpha one that you've seen a couple videos of is kind of a poor idea.
    Yet this whole thread is full of people saying this will be way better than Minecraft.

They are using the information that they have been given and assuming the devs aren't outright lying to them. It isn't like Minecraft is a heavily complex game outside of the building tools. If all they did was copy what Minecraft has done to what we've already seen it would be way ahead of Minecraft. If they follow through on even 25% of what they have said they are doing with this it will be much more complex than Minecraft. If they get 50% of it they will blow it away.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Watched the entire video, first time I've ever done such a thing..... probably won't again soon.

Looks like a decent world builder, and if I were into that stuff I see where it could be fun, but I'm not.

So will have to wait for more info on the "combat" they spoke of before deciding if this title is worth playing.

As I watched them build these structures I kept thinking....but after they are built, what does a person do with them?  Do they impart bonuses, can you attack them, or is this strictly a matter of looking at your work and admiring it?

I suspect the latter and if so then I'll likely be passing.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Watch some Minecraft videos. I would set Minecraft at the minimum of what you will be able to do with the game since it seems easy enough to at least copy someone else's work.

I don't play Minecraft but my kids do and they are generally very active in the game running around in others creations.

The PvP is very likely to be simplistic though since you only have one class and EQN is a multi classed style of game.

• ChrisKnightsChrisKnights Member Posts: 2
    If you want to compare, come back once game is in beta in a few months and we will compare to what minecraft had in beta
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Watched the entire video, first time I've ever done such a thing..... probably won't again soon.

Looks like a decent world builder, and if I were into that stuff I see where it could be fun, but I'm not.

So will have to wait for more info on the "combat" they spoke of before deciding if this title is worth playing.

As I watched them build these structures I kept thinking....but after they are built, what does a person do with them?  Do they impart bonuses, can you attack them, or is this strictly a matter of looking at your work and admiring it?

I suspect the latter and if so then I'll likely be passing.

This. Right here is why this seems like a half assed side project.

In minecraft, you can actually DO things with your buildings. There is a world outside of the buildings too. Tons of depth and room to play. People have made COMPUTERS in Minecraft.

EQL... you make a thing... and then you look at it for a while I guess?

Yep Tibernicuspa, that is all the game is going to be, you build stuff and they just lied about all the other stuff they said would be in there.

The other day I watched a TESO video where they were customizing their characters appearance. I mean it looked so dumb, you could make your character and then there wasn't anything else to do. They just kept showing them sitting there and rotating. Most games after you make your character you can run around do stuff with him, but apparently not this one.

The game is in alpha and they showed you one tiny part of it, of course it looks limited!

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

Starting to look real interesting.  I believe the final version will improve on Minecraft.  We shall wait and see.

I'm slowly starting to overlook the cartoony graphics which I still don't love.  

When they talk about staking a claim, they are meaning pay real money for your plot of land, right?    You will need to buy the land from SOE, correct?

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    People have made COMPUTERS in Minecraft.

Because Minecraft didn't start that way in Alpha *eye roll*

Minecraft expanded because of the community, not because of the company making the game.

All those fancy things like COMPUTERS was made possible thanks to the efforts of players.

Which is exactly what SOE is calling on people to do for Landmark.

Originally posted by Ender4

Yep Tibernicuspa, that is all the game is going to be, you build stuff and they just lied about all the other stuff they said would be in there.

Like what? They hinted at combat. They said you can mine things.

That doesn't sound like much. Certainly not Minecraft level. They're not going to make this a full fledged game, because it would directly compete with EQNext.

Originally posted by jdnyc
    People have made COMPUTERS in Minecraft.

Because Minecraft didn't start that way in Alpha *eye roll*

Minecraft expanded because of the community, not because of the company making the game.

All those fancy things like COMPUTERS was made possible thanks to the efforts of players.

Which is exactly what SOE is calling on people to do for Landmark.

The PLAYERS were given the tools to make them. Landmark doesn't have redstone, as far as I can tell?

Not to mention people didn't start buying Minecraft until they added the day and night cycle with defending your shit against creepers and zombies.