Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wonders never cease

dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I've been on a run of trying terrible games.  When I started this one I didn't think I'd make it past the first half hour.

Much to my surprise, DCUO is a pretty damn good game if you're looking for your super hero (or villain) fix.  I've always been a Marvel fan and never cared for DC so they must be doing something right if I'm praising it.

The combo system is what really grabbed me.  Combined with the fact that there is no dedicated DPS power sets (they can all DPS) so even healers are fun.  The weapon styles seem pretty balanced judging by the fact that nobody can agree which is best.  Using a XBox 360 controller for an MMORPG is an interesting change of pace.

Currently I'm a level 15 celestial / shield villain who looks like he belongs in a parade at Mardi Gras.  I'm glad the game gives you the option of using whatever gear you want for looks and another for stats.

My only gripe with the game is that it really pushes you hard to do the quests.  Beating up good guys alone gives very little XP (so far, maybe things get better later).

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
-- Herman Melville

Comments

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152
    The ONLY problem I've ever had with DCUO is how repetitive it is.. It kills me.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I agree with you guys about how repetitive the questing can get.  However I have only played one other MMO that had the block-blockbreaker-attack-combo setup, Age of Wushu, and DCUO does it so much better.  Not to mention the traveling abilities in this game are fun and really give you a since of verticality.  But yeh, the quest heavy gameplay sort of kills it for me even though I have been catching up on Arrow on Netlfix and it's starting to give me that DC comic itch again.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• VeviVevi Member Posts: 146
    Make sure to check out the new game update that went live last night. This is in preparation for the PS4 launch. PC gets graphical  update as well as adjustments to the 1-30 lvling. PS3 get all the aspects of the update minus the graphical part. 

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    I do like DCUO, unfortunately the UI on PC annoys me and the EUPC servers were all but dead last I checked.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Moodsor
    ... and the EUPC servers were all but dead last I checked.

I was wondering since the SOE-P7S1 transfer, accounts created after that cannot switch between the servers? To be honest, I have a toon on EU but since my characters were on US I've never felt the urge to play on here. But I can switch any time between the two if I want.

Maybe newly created P7S1 accounts only accessing  EUPC?

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

DCUO is a very good console based MMO. PC though? doesn't have the depth in some areas.

So yeah, if you like action based twitch combat with a vastly limited UI, DCUO is great, the story is great, the cities are large and look outstanding and if you can overlook the massive repetition in the quests the game can last you a long time.

It all comes down to if you like the combat style enough to overlook the limitations console based design limitation brings.

So, congrats on finding something that fits your style...something many MMO players have been trying to do lately.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Game runs smoothly, animations are great, movement is great, combat feels good which are the most important parts of any MMORPG imo.

I however was completely turned off by the pure quest system and the repetitiveness of it so I couldn't stick with it. It is a shame. It is the first superhero game I've played that actually felt like it could work if they had just added more sandbox elements to it so I wasn't just doing quest hubs.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by Ender4

Game runs smoothly, animations are great, movement is great, combat feels good which are the most important parts of any MMORPG imo.

I however was completely turned off by the pure quest system and the repetitiveness of it so I couldn't stick with it. It is a shame. It is the first superhero game I've played that actually felt like it could work if they had just added more sandbox elements to it so I wasn't just doing quest hubs.

So the important parts are good, but you still couldn't stick with it? If whats most important is good, they why would something less important turn you away? Your reasoning makes no sense to me.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by CowboyHat
    Originally posted by Ender4 Game runs smoothly, animations are great, movement is great, combat feels good which are the most important parts of any MMORPG imo. I however was completely turned off by the pure quest system and the repetitiveness of it so I couldn't stick with it. It is a shame. It is the first superhero game I've played that actually felt like it could work if they had just added more sandbox elements to it so I wasn't just doing quest hubs.
    So the important parts are good, but you still couldn't stick with it? If whats most important is good, they why would something less important turn you away? Your reasoning makes no sense to me.

The world is not black and white, there is a huge spectrum of colors. I like the most important part of something and still be turned off by the rest of it. A game with clunky movement and combat will never hold me no matter how good the features beyond that are though. A game that gets the basic gameplay right isn't automatically going to be loved by me though.

GW2 got that part right too but they tuned their game for the LCD so it is just boring. DCUO got it right but it is a paint by numbers quest hub game which doesn't interest me either.

I don't really like hub based games but the skill system and setting of TSW still has me playing that game for 30+ hours now.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Now that I've been playing for a full week, I see the cause for complaints about the repetitive nature of the quests.

So far the combat combo system keeps the game fun though.  We'll see if my opinion changes by the end of the first month.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Update:

The last patch destroyed this game for me.  The game no longer finds my gamepad and it has started crashing regularly.  Sorry SOE, sub cancelled and uninstalled.

It was fun while it lasted.

-- Herman Melville

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by dave6660

Update:

The last patch destroyed this game for me.  The game no longer finds my gamepad and it has started crashing regularly.  Sorry SOE, sub cancelled and uninstalled.

I dont' even like the game, but I would say, after a huge patch, you need to give it a week or two to let them iron out the kinks. That is true for any MMO out there. Don't just quit because of this. If you are still determined to quit, I think it's something other than what you stated and not the patch. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

Originally posted by Elevenb4

Update:

I dont' even like the game, but I would say, after a huge patch, you need to give it a week or two to let them iron out the kinks. That is true for any MMO out there. Don't just quit because of this. If you are still determined to quit, I think it's something other than what you stated and not the patch. 

No, I do not have to cut them any slack for breaking the game after a patch.  I refuse to pay for something that doesn't work, it is that simple.

-- Herman Melville

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363

They will probably resolve the patch issue, I have not played awhile myself. The combat system is great the pvp encounters are nice as well. What I hate to no end is that character creation is so limited. Their first mistake was making travel powers separate from regular powers and also only iconic travel powers like flight and super speed then just 3 travel powers so basically everyone is some version of the Flash or Superman. Secondly the power sets are set up like a typical Raiding fantasy game with too much emphasis on holy trinity and not enough on super heroics. That along with limited travel powers and a very limited character creation screen mean you have many duplicate toons and flavor of the month set ups. 

Basically in my view the game lacks flexibility to keep you interested. Also its too quest driven not organic enough. 

I want my Yellow Lantern to be an alien with insect eyes, character creation is just too limited and lantern powers have been way over simplified for the sake of pve role structure. 

Last but not least the weapon sysem is a joke, Lanterns do not carry pistols and swords they make pistols and swords this is another horrible mechanic added to aid with PVE holy trinity that has no place in this type of game. 

• AmarsirAmarsir Member UncommonPosts: 703

Unfortunately the DCUO devs seem to consider repetitive grinding to be a good thing not a bad one. The beginning of the end for me was Home Turf at the start of the year. Two examples just from that DLC:

1) Functional base items, which were the selling point of having a base, can only be obtained by getting the correct 10 random collection items from a set of 120 hidden randomly around high-level parts of the city on infrequent respawn timers. To get a mailbox for your base takes hours of circling the same spawn spots looking for something to click, while other players do the same and try to beat you to them. And there's no combat in any of that, just looking and clicking.

2) Home Turf dispenser items need to be rented per-month, via lots of raid-earned marks, and make a significant combat difference in both PvE and PvP despite only bring earnable in PvE. So if you think playing PvP would keep you interested aside from repetitive grinding, too bad: you have to grind too.

That's just one DLC, something we pay $10 (SOE Station Cash not accepted) to have. It's like they figure grinding = playtime and playtime = success.

All that said, DCUO's combat system is superb and until you get high-level enough to be annoyed by the things that bother me, it's a great run.

Currently playing:
    DC Universe
    Planetside 2
    Magic Online
    Simunomics, the Massive Multiplayer Economic Simulation Game. Play for free.

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

I've been on a run of trying terrible games.  When I started this one I didn't think I'd make it past the first half hour.

Much to my surprise, DCUO is a pretty damn good game if you're looking for your super hero (or villain) fix.  I've always been a Marvel fan and never cared for DC so they must be doing something right if I'm praising it.

The combo system is what really grabbed me.  Combined with the fact that there is no dedicated DPS power sets (they can all DPS) so even healers are fun.  The weapon styles seem pretty balanced judging by the fact that nobody can agree which is best.  Using a XBox 360 controller for an MMORPG is an interesting change of pace.

Currently I'm a level 15 celestial / shield villain who looks like he belongs in a parade at Mardi Gras.  I'm glad the game gives you the option of using whatever gear you want for looks and another for stats.

My only gripe with the game is that it really pushes you hard to do the quests.  Beating up good guys alone gives very little XP (so far, maybe things get better later).

Its kinda late but there is a pvp mission called diamond heist when you get close to 30. Also other pvp stuff like the fight for light.  Also those missions arent so repetitive if your on a pvp server (assuming pve server has 0 pvp) Cause villians and heros always have to fight it out  instead of completing the mission objective.... Even though Batman said to leave the villians alone in the mission briefing.

I havnt tried the new Trigon missions that come with the Celestial DLC. But the DLCs usually have better quests, just have to be high enough to play em.

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by Sleepyfish

They will probably resolve the patch issue, I have not played awhile myself. The combat system is great the pvp encounters are nice as well. What I hate to no end is that character creation is so limited. Their first mistake was making travel powers separate from regular powers and also only iconic travel powers like flight and super speed then just 3 travel powers so basically everyone is some version of the Flash or Superman. Secondly the power sets are set up like a typical Raiding fantasy game with too much emphasis on holy trinity and not enough on super heroics. That along with limited travel powers and a very limited character creation screen mean you have many duplicate toons and flavor of the month set ups. 

Basically in my view the game lacks flexibility to keep you interested. Also its too quest driven not organic enough. 

I want my Yellow Lantern to be an alien with insect eyes, character creation is just too limited and lantern powers have been way over simplified for the sake of pve role structure. 

Last but not least the weapon sysem is a joke, Lanterns do not carry pistols and swords they make pistols and swords this is another horrible mechanic added to aid with PVE holy trinity that has no place in this type of game. 

Lanterns are Blasters per Inspired by characters. And they make chainsaws, planes, fans and etc.....

Superhero teams have always had a lil holy trinity kinda vibe.  One usually tanks the big monster/robot/galactic villian While the other one does some plan that will damage and defeat it. And then there is a hero or two who help the tank out of a sticky situation while tanking the big bad or the "support" hero will rescue the "Damage Dealer" from death right after he sends his finishing blow....

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    See I found the questing to be the least boring of any mmo. Largely because of all the voice overs and great story! Felt more like a single player experience that just happens to be online.

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    The combat is the real strong point, and a lot of the quests are fun- but it gets very samey very quickly.  And if I have to play through that dam tutorial again I'm likely to throw my computer out the window.  
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by LittleBoot
    The combat is the real strong point, and a lot of the quests are fun- but it gets very samey very quickly.  And if I have to play through that dam tutorial again I'm likely to throw my computer out the window.  

"Dam" tutorial? :) You mean the escaping from Brainiac? That was streamlined lately (or it's just my nostalgia vs. the present dumbing down trend), last time I've finished it in about 5 minutes... even the end fight was easy and quick - but of course having Superman as sidekick surely make every battle an easy one :)

(ok, technically the player is his sidekick, but that doesn't sounds much epic or superheroic)

Edit: for my previous post "Maybe newly created P7S1 accounts only accessing  EUPC?", nope, they can access US as well, just tested it a few days ago (after the PS4 launch, went back to check the new graphics), created a new f2p P7S1 account (it's free and only a few clicks anyways :) )  it can also switch between US and EU servers.