Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time and Money: how we are robbed and ruined by MMO companies

Comments

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

I personaly think that those that "dont have the time". And need to buy xp boosts, gold, charecters with IRL money. Really should take a good look at themselves. And Ask the Question "What the F am i doing". I clearly do not have the time for this, so why am I paying xtra, for something i do not prioritize. 

Maybe these people should do the most sensible thing and stop playing and go back to IRL? They are not willing to divorce the wife, ignore their children and quit their jobbs. But they still want to be the best at something and paying IRL money to get there. 

All these people who do this are part of the problem with MMOS today, because money hungry corporation are more then happy taking their money, as long as they can. Which in my experince is not that long at all. Because in the end these people's IRL obligations will triumf over the game they are playing. They are not hardcore enough, and do not have balls enough to  commit to what they are doing. And the MMO community are better off without them... That is my honest opinion.

For me it has nothing to do with jealousy, it is these peoples lack of commitment that bothers me. They want to have their cake and eat it too. And the money hungry MMO Devs are enabling them, and tricking them out of their money in the process. In the circles i run you are a laughing stock if you fork up IRL money(more then the subscription) for a game. In a game like EvE you become a mark,  and i have tricked many a little noob in that game, who bought a charecter with IRL money and did not understand the fundementals of what EvE is all about hahaha..

Skills and schemes that is what MMOs should be all about, Not a place were you show of your IRL E-peen. Get things the hard way and you earn respect, get mommy to pay with her credit card is just lame and just shows how weak and uncommitted you really are...and gets you Zero respect from the other kidds in the sandbox.. Lucky for me EVE is like IRL in that aspect; if you drive your ferrari(IRL money bought ship) into the Ghetto(because you are cluless to the danger), you should be prepared to get car-jacket, and be lucky if you escape with your life.. There are alot of butt hurt people on these boards, who have gotten raped and pillaged in EvE like that. Funny thing is that I now often find  them advocating Pay to win MMOS. I wonder why hahaha

The Fact is if you pay for advancement with IRL cash you suck, you dont have anny skills or brains(only an idiot would by 0,1 for real money, you are buying Air(nothing, its like buying sand in a desert), but many people cant admit this, and smart Devs take advantage. That the devs can keep doing this and people keep paying  must be a constant amusement, for the devs who make these god awful games.

So all those that are defending Real money transactions in games, you are fools, you are playing into the scheems of people who are smarten then you. They are selling you pixels, and when they shut down the game it is gone forever.  Go back to your IRL obligations and leave gaming to the Smart, quick witted people, who used to inhabbit the internet, before social media.... All these games that have come along to lure people out of their money, you are the reason for them, because you are clearly not smart enough to see a scam, even  when it looks you right in the face...

The end result is that MMO games are not games anymore, they are elaborate schems to lure you out of your money..Wake up and smell the coffee, And I think that is what the OPs post was all about...

End rant.....

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by jdnewell
    Originally posted by Elikal

Imagine this would be business practice with any other product. Like cars.

Customer: "Hello, I want to buy a new car!"

Salesman: "Good, I have a new car under development, just give me 80 grand."

Customer: "Hm, ok, but.. what sort of car is it?"

Salesman: "Well.. it is red. ... And it has 4 tires, windows and a roof!"

Customer: "And? Is that all you can tell me? I mean for wanting 80 grand upfront, that's a bit vague, don't you think?"

Salesman: "Well, unfortunately, I am under NDA, which I made up myself, so I can't tell you anything more. Do I get your money now?"

Customer: "Seems legit."

Salesman: "Oh and by the way, the car isn't ready. We are still testing it. You pay now, then you get SOME working parts in half a year, and someday you get the complete car. Oh and here you have one tire now, to have some nice goody."

Customer: "So I pay 80 grand for a car now, I will be tester for your car, I get a tire now, in half a year I get a somewhat working car and someday I don't know when I get a complete car, of whatever detail I know nothing about?"

Salesman: "Yes. And it gets better! You get a nametag 'I AM TEH KING' on your car, if you pay 80 grand now for a car you know little about and you don't know when you get it. Oh and when you get the car you paid for, everyone else gets the same car, only they get it for free. Of course they don't get a nametag 'I AM TEH KING' on it."

Customer: "Go F#$k yourself" and walks off...

Fixed that for you.

Because you see... this is all optional. You have a choice to be a rube or not. If you have difficulty controlling yourself or have issues with using judgement  then thats a personal problem. Being responsible and having good judgement is up to the individual.

Exactly. There seems to be a certain level of entitlement that obfuscates that part for him.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591

Funny thing is back before WOW people were agast when I told them Everquest cost $15/month. Many people still have that reaction but less so these days.

There seems to be an implict assumption that if game X comes out then it takes away from game Y. In reality we have more choice. PreWoW there were only a handful of games to choose from. We are still getting AAA P2P MMOs like FFXIV with no cash shops. If FFXIV does really well then the rest of the industry will follow suit and swing back towards that model so it works both ways. 

MMOs from the very begining were considered hyper-addictive. Evercrack anyone? The whole point of the monthly fee with long extensive grinds and hamster wheels was and still is to milk the player for as long as possible. It was engineered into the MMO formula from day one. If anything the F2P model and quicker games make less money from me. I played RiFT for a year and paid the box plus $15 a month (back when it was still P2P). GW2 I paid the box and nothing else. Vindictus I played abosolutly free for months. 

BTW not everyone that has money to burn spends money in the cash shops. I'm gainfully employed and so is my wife. Like in life, I like to earn my loot in games and if a game is structured in such a manner that P2W is the only way to advance then I will quit playing. Whats the point? I might as well drive up to the company and throw some cash out the window and have them say "YOU WIN!". 

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

We get his point, it just isn't a valid one.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Imagine if the pharmaceutical industry was replaced with any other product. Like hamburgers.

Pharmacy: Excuse me, sir, would you like this delicious hamburger?

Customer: That seems like it would cure my hunger. How much is it?

Pharmacy: Seven dollars, and it will cure your hunger. It will also make you gassy and there is a slight chance of nausea and a one in ten million chance of death due to complications.

Customer: Sounds like a great deal, give it to me!

Why do you people buy medicine?

Comparing industries only makes sense when you're not actually making a point.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

Of course gaming companies are extracting all the money they can from us. Ofcourse they are trying to make their games addictive. Ofcourse they do so to the detriment of their games. Well okay maybe the last one isn't a given but it's happening.

I'm someone who doesn't have a lot of money either but having spent money in games to free me from something I saw as tedious I realized that it's no more fun just spending a few bucks to get something. Atleast if you grind it out, you aren't robbed of achieving something. It's just a question of how tedious they make achieving something and often it is far too much. So it's not fun buying something it just seems like an attractive option due to the crap you have to go through otherwise and it's often asking way too much in the form of a grind to do so otherwise. So no one wins and when games are pushing "achievements" via a cash shop too keenly I imagine they chew through more players and have poorer retention rates so even from their perspective it's not something that should be encouraged.

All that said I think "free to play" or cash shops can work well but they often go too far and I don't like the idea of someone being disadvantaged in game because they aren't willing to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by TheRealDarkeus
    Wow...  I just read through most of this and the amount of people that missed the OP's point and made it only about money was just idiotically staggering....  Just, wow....

Insults the entire thread. Has nothing to add of value or any solutions. That's considered a low quality post, captain. Enlighten us about what YOU think it's about. Wait, your opinion wasn't even important enough to yourself to form then post. Internet as usual.

You are no more above it than those you look down your nose at. Your quoted post is evidence enough.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by ozmono
    Wow...  I just read through most of this and the amount of people that missed the OP's point and made it only about money was just idiotically staggering....  Just, wow....

Insults the entire thread. Has nothing to add of value or any solutions. That's considered a low quality post, captain. Enlighten us about what YOU think it's about. Wait, your opinion wasn't even important enough to yourself to form then post. Internet as usual.

You are no more above it than those you look down your nose at. Your quoted post is evidence enough.

Incorrect, I can be your Diogenes if you like but make no confusion about the fact that I gave the OP two solutions to their dilemma. They took neither of those to heart proving and only took them as insults that they have no intention of solving the problem simply reliving it over and over until they content themselves somehow without actually solving things.

Learn what constructive criticism is. It's meant to improve not to belittle and it doesn't rely on calling simple names like "idiot". Do you think they put thought into their post. I don't and I'm calling it like I see it. I have enough sarcasm in me to rip a person to shreds but every time I show kindness someone bucks the information and call it insensitive, callous, or haughty. Let it be but guess what, my life is working out just fine. I have goals and opinions and I'm not the one that calls people names because I don't have anything useful coming out of my brain to share.

Lose the drama and I may take you seriously, "captain" or don't you think your post is "important enough to yourself to form" without it. Your post was clearly derogatory in nature just as it is when you say things like "learn what constructive criticism is" which you should do by the way. To give a hint, it involves people skills.

If you truly didn't mean to belittle anyone as you said than I apologize but that's the way it comes across.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Hey so in light of all that has been said in this emotional rollercoaster of a thread, I think now is a good time to ask: how does everyone feel about being "robbed and ruined by MMO companies?" I mean, we are being robbed. And RUINED.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I think it's wrong to rob poor people. If they do that the government will have no one to tax.
  • EncephalitisEncephalitis Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    I think it's wrong to rob poor people. If they do that the government will have no one to tax.

I intended on coming back, wondering why this thread hadn't ran its course yet. Got a chuckle tho. Thanks stranger.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Especially all the ones being forced to suffer through p2w leisure software that isn't provided in the right format or for the right price point for the least lucrative demographic, thus resulting in a colossal maelstrom of robbery and ruination. I don't know how people who only own MODERATELY amusing online games get through the day without firing up the ole Kia and wrapping their lips around the exhaust pipe. I sure as Hell couldn't do it now that I am used to spending my precious time on friggin inheritance-fueled AAA mmos all day.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by kkarrabbass

But,  you know, read OP again, it was not about money at all.

Actually, if you're familiar with Elikal, it is entirely about money. 

"But now we have money aristocracy. Suddenly the poor in RL are poor in the games too! And the rich are having titles, castles and endless boni. Just as in RL. And tbh... I hate that."

That's a running theme in many of his posts lately. 

I've seen a running theme where you comment on Elikal in a seemingly snotty but amused attitude yet add nothing to the main topics... Not just in this thread either.

Anyways, to the topic: I agree on the part where MMOs are turning into this "the rich get the most while the poor get crap" theme. I just made a blog entry that actually discusses this problem that is occurring with Shrouds of the Avatar where it seems like those with the most cash are making all the choices and therefore paving the road to create an in-game economy that will be completely controlled by the upper class.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Razeekster/112013/25613_Shroud-of-the-Avatar-The-Proverbial-Rich-Mans-MMO

That's the link above for anyone interested.

I play MMOs to escape reality and yet it seems more and more lately the newer MMOs are shoving it in my face just how much the rich are controlling MMOs in general these days. What happened to the days of a box price and $15 a month allowing me to have the same enjoyment as everyone else? Apparently that died out...

Smile

Originally posted by Razeekster

"But now we have money aristocracy. Suddenly the poor in RL are poor in the games too! And the rich are having titles, castles and endless boni. Just as in RL. And tbh... I hate that."

I've seen a running theme where you comment on Elikal in a seemingly snotty but amused attitude yet add nothing to the main topics... Not just in this thread too.

Nope, just this thread. And if you find my two sentence in that post to be snotty, well, that's whatever your projecting on it. Amused? Definitely. I find it very amusing that an adult can have the issue that he's stated he has with a paid alpha of a video game. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I've seen a running theme where you comment on Elikal in a seemingly snotty but amused attitude yet add nothing to the main topics... Not just in this thread too.

Nope, just this thread. And if you find my two sentence in that post to be snotty, well, that's whatever your projecting on it. Amused? Definitely. I find it very amusing that an adult can have the issue that he's stated he has with a paid alpha of a video game. 

Customer: "And? Is that all you can tell me? I mean for wanting 80 grand upfront, that's a bit vague, don't you think?"

Salesman: "Well, unfortunately, I am under NDA, which I made up myself, so I can't tell you anything more. Do I get your money now?"

Salesman: "Oh and by the way, the car isn't ready. We are still testing it. You pay now, then you get SOME working parts in half a year, and someday you get the complete car. Oh and here you have one tire now, to have some nice goody."

Customer: "So I pay 80 grand for a car now, I will be tester for your car, I get a tire now, in half a year I get a somewhat working car and someday I don't know when I get a complete car, of whatever detail I know nothing about?"

Salesman: "Yes. And it gets better! You get a nametag 'I AM TEH KING' on your car, if you pay 80 grand now for a car you know little about and you don't know when you get it. Oh and when you get the car you paid for, everyone else gets the same car, only they get it for free. Of course they don't get a nametag 'I AM TEH KING' on it."

Customer: "Wow, that sounds like a great deal. Here you have my money!"

Spamming that 'dialogue' in multiple threads isn't going to make it any less false, however it does show how much conviction you have in this sense of entitlement you're displaying.

Elikal, you are not owed that car. No one has to buy that car before release. If someone wants to buy it before you and you cannot yet or cannot ever buy it, and that bothers you,  that's not a fault of the manufacturer or the purchaser.

Couldn't help myself.

Smile

Customer: "Wow, that sounds like a great deal. Here you have my money!"

Spamming that 'dialogue' in multiple threads isn't going to make it any less false, however it does show how much conviction you have in this sense of entitlement you're displaying.

Elikal, you are not owed that car. No one has to buy that car before release. If someone wants to buy it before you and you cannot yet or cannot ever buy it, and that bothers you,  that's not a fault of the manufacturer or the purchaser.

Couldn't help myself.

Again, if you consider that snotty, that's what you're reading into it and something that simply isn't there which, from reading your other posts in that thread, seems to be your thing tonight.

Now... back on topic?

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839

Look, the point is this: Back in Everquest II I became noble and "Sir" Elikal after years of hard work IN THE GAME. I did a lot of status quests for my guild. Now in EQ Landmarks you BUY a title for $90. THAT is what is plain wrong, because games SHOULD NOT BE about how much money you have, but how good, patient and dedicated IN the game you are.

Being able to BUY all that stuff makes it worthless and ruins all sense of accomplishment!

If you are going to talk about how precious time is, then it isn't irrelevant and you can't ignore people who associate a value with that amount of time.  In this case SOE decided that value was $90. If I have money to spare and I see the trade off being worth it, why shouldn't I be able to pay for something? It works even in pvp games if done correctly. See Eve online and what plex / character market has done.

The only problem here are developers who can go to far with this aspect and build obstacles on purpose to push more sales. I strongly disagree with these practices. It's a fine line and I don't agree with everything developers do as far as cash shops go. However the concept of putting value on time I have no problem with. Our whole lives are based around this concept.

They have the money to spare and aren't affecting you. In some games finding these people might end up like winning the  lottery. For instance in Eve if a new player did this they're most likely nothing but a loot piñata anyway.  Soon to make someones day.

This is coming from someone who has only spent something like $25 altogether in cash shops in a 5 year period. In one game I would have dropped $200 for a single item had they sold it outright and not through the lottery system that most cash shops use. I enjoyed the game and was part of a great guild and community. Playing it for years I saw it as being worth it.

Edit: You'll have to excuse me.  I haven't read the whole thread. I just don't see how it's ok to talk about time involved in something and not be willing to put a value on it.

Originally posted by Hulluck

Why shouldn't I be able to pay a premium for something if I see the time vs. cost as worth it? The only problem here are developers who can go to far with this aspect and build obstacles on purpose to push more sales. I strongly object against these practices. It's a fine line and I don't agree with everything developers do as far as cash shops go. However the concept of putting value on time I have no problem with. Our whole lives are based around this concept.

+1 image

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314

And you were a bit too high on your horse and a little too slow to get the point.  Comprehension, pass it on!!!

The point is that it was amazing to see so many people miss the point.  Somebody like you in fact.  MMO games are indeed made to steal time and money.  That is how the business works.  You know this.  MMO devs need carrots and gameplay to keep you subbing or buying item store commodities.  My point, as said in the post, is that I was amazed to see people missing the point.  It was shocking to say the least.

Now, as I have been reading your other posts, get with the program.  You really are not adding anything to the conversation.....

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314

Incorrect, I can be your Diogenes if you like but make no confusion about the fact that I gave the OP two solutions to their dilemma. They took neither of those to heart proving and only took them as insults that they have no intention of solving the problem simply reliving it over and over until they content themselves somehow without actually solving things.

Learn what constructive criticism is. It's meant to improve not to belittle and it doesn't rely on calling simple names like "idiot". Do you think they put thought into their post. I don't and I'm calling it like I see it. I have enough sarcasm in me to rip a person to shreds but every time I show kindness someone bucks the information and call it insensitive, callous, or haughty. Let it be but guess what, my life is working out just fine. I have goals and opinions and I'm not the one that calls people names because I don't have anything useful coming out of my brain to share.

Lose the drama and I may take you seriously, "captain" or don't you think your post is "important enough to yourself to form" without it. Your post was clearly derogatory in nature just as it is when you say things like "learn what constructive criticism is" which you should do by the way. To give a hint, it involves people skills.

If you truly didn't mean to belittle anyone as you said than I apologize but that's the way it comes across.

I think you should just report me and keep your thoughts on the original poster, how's that for you?

If you've got nothing constructive to offer them than you are the same as the other, posting nothing but an inflammatory comment to get a reaction and some attention.

Haven't I given you enough. Here, sit in my lap, I'll rub your hair and tell you that everything is going to be ok. See that sunrise coming? It's all the glory of the universe working toward making us humans happy. Look at how special we are. Apology not accepted because you are posting low quality things too wasting my time thinking something fact based was added to the thread so I opened it again. Shame on you wasting my time in this "One mortal Life" in the words of our illustrious original poster.

Oh, don't worry.  That report is on its way "Captain".... 

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185

This thread is amazing.

Absolutely amazing.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

You know what works better than bitching on a random forum that the majority of the world (and game developers) will never look at?

Not giving money to companies/games you don't like and supporting the ones you see approaching it correctly.

Too often gamers feel that all the companies need to make games that are designed solely for them, and if they don't there is something wrong. Does that mean I think all of the companies are doing things right and/or fairly? No not at all. But the simple solution is to not support those ones. If enough other people do like something to support it, then the company isn't exactly doing something wrong.

Many gamers now will 1) buy every new game in their genre (especially MMOs) which gives the company a big influx of money and then complain that the game isn't what they want and 2) will refuse to play older games that actually has what they want/ask for because "the graphics look bad or are too old". It is this level of entitlement that causes gamers to actually fund the games they don't want which tells the companies to keep making them.

Wait to buy any new MMO. Let all the real reviews (those done by actual gamers who play it for several weeks before commenting, not the early reviews by those who get access because they are overly generous in their reviews to companies) come in and see if the game is for you. Give it time for the price to come down/free trial to save money and show that we as gamers are weary of new products because of what is being made.

Go out and actively support those games which may not be flashy, may not be 100% polished, may not be AAA, and may be old, but do embrace the type of game and the developer approach you want. Then big companies will take notice and develop in a style similar to those you are funding. Big companies follow the money, nothing more, nothing less. So if you keep funding the very games you complain about, don't be shocked when more of those keep being made.

And maybe get a job that pays the bills while trying to become an artist. I find it an excuse anytime someone complains of lack of money due to "being a struggling artist" when that person can go manage the floor at Best Buy, stock shelves at Home Depot, enter data into computers in an office, or man phones in a support/call center. You have the option to make money while pursuing your dreams. You don't have a guarantee that you get to pursue your dreams for free.

• TomTrixxTomTrixx Member UncommonPosts: 94
    I feel EXACTLY like you do!
  • donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    Very few games are actually P2W. Most games with cash shops still allow you to work your way via traditional grinding.

Quite frankly I simply don't understand why people pay to win. You are ruining the game for yourself by doing so. Ever play a game in Godmode? It's only fun for 5 or 10 mins.