Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Firefall: The Shocking Beta Update

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Firefall has been in beta for a...long time. Today, we take a look at what's upcoming in the next beta patch for the game. See what we found out before heading to the comments to talk it over.

In the last couple months Firefall has gone through a slew of changes. Red 5 Studios dipped their feet in the water at Sunken Harbor with open world PvP and got their toes bit off. Soon after that grand experiment (something the players shouted from the heavens they wanted so badly), they removed it due to lack of interest and getting in the way of the PvE. They also disabled PvP all together. Coming from a game that started out as a PvP eSport-oriented MMO, I was surprised they totally shut it down. In my opinion, it was a good thing to do because the game was suffering being split in two directions. With PvP disabled, the team has a chance to focus on the PvE aspect of the game for now. Something that it needs badly.

Read more of Scary Booster's Firefall: The Shocking Beta Update.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PrayrPrayr Member UncommonPosts: 267
    I have been a founder for many years as well. I lost interest when I saw the crafting. That sucks in the game with so much potential. I like the scifi, the idea of the game, the game play, but the crafting sucks. Its the future, its another planet, its scifi, and they have this lame ass crafting skill. BORING!

• DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197
    Such a let down..I've been a founder forever mainly because of the promised esports action.  Promising something then just removing it is pretty shady.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I like the grafting! It is true the game has gone into different direction. But given time. I feel that it will be a direction that will be better than the original design. In so many ways Firefall is a unique online gaming experience. Because of this uniqueness it will take several iterations to get the gameplay right.
  • Ex0dUs101Ex0dUs101 Member UncommonPosts: 273

Founder too, Commander, and as much as I originally loved Firefall and what Red5 were trying to do, they have gone back on everything they have done so many times that ive completely lost faith. I cant put any confidence in anything they are doing or saying anymore, and I doubt at this point we will ever see a version of Firefall anything close to complete in the mmo sense. 

I would love to see them prove my above opinion wrong, but I certainly will not support them any further until things change drastically and stay on track for a length of time. 

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

I have been watching from a distance waiting for release. Was stunned to learn PvP was taken out as that was going to interest me most.

TIP: Do PvP ala Halo and you WIN WIN WIN! Easy solution.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

The company has outright admitted that they can't do much of what they originally wanted to because of both budget and engine limitations.

They've also wasted countless amounts of time & money re-doing game systems over, and over, and over again, almost as if they have a complete lack of any sort of direction.

Dropping the lackluster & unpopular PvP was a good step in the right direction however, so maybe there is just a sliver of hope for the game yet. Hell, just look at FFXIV & Marvel Heroes, both games were absolute dreck at launch, but were (and still is, in MH's case) slowly transformed into something fun & worthwhile.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    As for PvP I think it will return in thee form of faction PvP, Accord vs Chosen. This is part of a distant future however.
  • avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    It's not another planet,,,it's earth. PvP was back the other night..I found out rather rudely after an invasion at SH. As far as I am concerned it is the best game I have played to date. Last night at one of the watchtowers three of us had an all out battle to win it back. It was the one in the north east corner where all of the melding creatures spawn (as well as Chosen).
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

New instanced dungeons for 2-5 players (Cliff’s Edge and Tanken Cove).

how did this get passed me?- didnt know abt this? ive taken a FF break(right after the annoucements about their stability & bugs focus-something i never ran into but hey...) which i greatly needed- but ive always been impressed with their updates-ill haveto check them out!!!

thanks.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Camelot Unchained best not go through the alpha/beta stages this game did. :)

• Nicco77Nicco77 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    The day  the word and the concept itself of "E-Sport" will disappear maybe the industry will return to develop better online games.
  • SidQFTSidQFT Member UncommonPosts: 96
    OP  your Open World pvp comment failed, i think you missed it completely!!!???!!  the so called "open world pvp" you refer to is a sectioned off little area right outside Sunken Harbor.  theres no objective there, no incentive to go there, basically theres nothing to do there other then duel?  so ya they completely F'd up on that.  theres NO risk vs reward.  its just risk.  i dont think, wait i KNOW the community NEVER had that in mind when someone speaks of open world pvp.  its basically a little sectioned off area where you can duel, its like instanced pvp without the instance plus no objective.  so ya they basically failed at it.  if they were to bring TRUE Open World pvp to the game it would be awesome.  like they talked about along time ago- warplots/bases, base building territory control, pvp hotspots, etc etc.....   sadly this hasnt happend (yet, *crosses fingers*).

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310
    Based on the article, aren't all MMOs in Beta?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    It's nice to see the game still improving. I've taken a break and am playing something else but I haven't given up on FF yet.
  • MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289
    I lost interest when I heard the pvp had 0 consequences or meaning.
  • Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187

I think this article was extremely misleading about the state of the game. The game has nearly weekly updates or hotfxes?! Maybe I misread that, but the statement is false. It is rarely weekly, and the so-called fixes break more than they are originally intended to fix, and so more often than not subsequent fixes are done to try to "fix" the previous fix. It really is a never ending cycle, and in the end nothing is ever really fixed. Don't believe me? Check the patch notes. It wasn't until last month that a major patch went out with over 150 bug fixes to finally deal with a portion of the bugs that have been still lingering in game since open beta launch this past summer. (whew, that's a lot of use of the word "fix"). 

As for things that have been added, it may sound like a lot, but it isn't really. More things have been taken out of the game or rearranged than anything increased, so the game doesn't really feel as if it is growing at all. Basically it's just a new user experience that was updated, a few ARES missions, and a redesign of things that were already in place (just because you slap a proverbial "new coat of paint" on something doesn't in fact make it new). Oh, and 1 new battle frame. That's it. So for this article to hype the game like so much has been done in it is quite annoying. I play the game but I'm not blind.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    These changes interest me enough to come back & try it again. Main issue for me was how bland the game felt.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Dear OP, the problem is the game is not in ALPHA/BETA.  

The game is in Release/Concept Design. In other words the dev team has absolutely no idea where the fuck they are.

They have zero direction and have redesigned the game 4 times now since I originally joined them three years ago. 

However, that has not stopped them from selling us packs, and implementing a release version cash shop. Sadly in their chaos they have taken away things they have sold us more than once.

I finally got wise to these morons three months ago and finally uninstalled.

I count the money I spent a lesson learned and I for one will NEVER go back. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I have to say for once this is a good decision by a dev team.I also have to say i support a long Beta that is trying to make sure the game is acceptable to the largest majority before releasing it,so they are doing two good things,not often can i say that about dev teams of late.

The real problem imo is the actual game,this type of game will struggle big time to over take games like Halo or Unreal or Quake franchises,those guys just do it better.

Perhaps as one member mentioned,they should take more pride and put more effort into the crafting area,since that is one area that most FPS's do not do well if at all.The reason however is because it costs a lot of time and resources to have staff making all those assets that crafting demands.Really this is a market that does not have room for a lot of competition unless you have a few very unique ideas.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    As a long time supporter and commanders pack buyer, I have to admit it seems like Red5 has been going in circles on this one.  Wasting time and resources reworking the same things over and over. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by Nicco77
    The day  the word and the concept itself of "E-Sport" will disappear maybe the industry will return to develop better online games.

I'm honestly not sure what to say about this. I think it's important you know that games that become E-Sports aren't crafted in that light. Developers that have tried that in the past always seem to fail. The fans pick what becomes 'E-Sports'. Not the other way around.

• ZephlosZephlos Member UncommonPosts: 35

Lol! This is a re-skin of old features. How is that new? Nope just more lies and hype from MMOSellout.

Not that I can truly hold it against them. They have R5 morons on staff here, how could they not have bias?

• ThoemseThoemse Member UncommonPosts: 457

A game is no more beta as soon as they start chargin money and stop wiping progress. End of story. This lameass endless beta because we are scared to release an unfinished product talk is nothing but a lame excuse. only because it's more and more common doesn't make it right.

Just had to get that off my chest. I have nothing against Firefall. Actually i just patched it up again two days ago and plan to have another go at it today. My most played game (War Thunder) is another beta but we charge for it title.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Zephlos

Lol! This is a re-skin of old features. How is that new? Nope just more lies and hype from MMOSellout.

Not that I can truly hold it against them. They have R5 morons on staff here, how could they not have bias?

Which feature is just a re-skin, exactly?

BTW, I find your own bias rather moronic as well. 

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by Thoemse

A game is no more beta as soon as they start chargin money and stop wiping progress. End of story. This lameass endless beta because we are scared to release an unfinished product talk is nothing but a lame excuse. only because it's more and more common doesn't make it right.

+1

They have no idea what direction to go. They just changing things on the fly "this patch we will switch this off and this on" and next time "we will switch this on and this off and remove this and this and this" Crazy! I was amazed by this game, but they did kill it all. I mean, sure I want FF would be that great game I thought it would, but they act so strange. I stopped to log in and visit the forum, when one of them did say, "that people who want write only what is bad, without say how to fix it, shouldn't even speak on the forum". I think, this is extreme, it's their work, they are paid for do that. Lot of people did say what they did wrong and I don't see that they did listen.