Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STAR CITIZEN JUST HIT 26 MILLION DOLLARS!

Comments

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Hairysun

Just to reiterate the comments above about "Lifetime Insurance", it really isn't that big of a deal.  Far from anything resembling a pay to win mechanic.  It is very similar if not identical to the same mechanic in "Eve Online."  You can insure your ship without LTI very easily.  Go through the process of purchasing insurance and your done.  It has been said cost is to be nominal and relative to whatever ship you are insuring.  Whether you have purchased ship insurance in game or lifetime ship insurance the results are the same if your ship goes boom.  Anything beyond you stock load out on the ship is gone.  Guns, rockets, engine upgrades, mining lasers, extra cargo space, cargo you have on board, etc, etc are gone.  You reappear on a station with your stock ship and everything needs to be purchased again.

You could make an argument on whether those potentially lost items will be insurable when in the game.  That however is not something included in the LTI.  The LTI mechanic is a minor convenience given to those that wish to support the game during it's development process.  Certainly not anything close to a  pay to win button.

~Hairysun   

Than why have insurance at all if it's such a small deal?  The truth is that insurance is critical to the how the game operates and is a core part of the mechanics of the economy.  If everyone had LTI the game economy as I understand it wouldn't work.  Giving a handful of the whales it is going a bit to far in my book as it does change how those people look at risk vs reward in the game.  We will have to see if it ultimately results in hurting the game more than the dollars they got from those tiers helps but I don't think you should be quick to just dismiss it as not a big deal because it could very well end up having a significant negative impact on the game especially if the game doesn't catch on and after 6-12 months those big whales becomes a disproportionate percentage of the remaining population.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by Hairysun

Just to reiterate the comments above about "Lifetime Insurance", it really isn't that big of a deal.  Far from anything resembling a pay to win mechanic.  It is very similar if not identical to the same mechanic in "Eve Online."  You can insure your ship without LTI very easily.  Go through the process of purchasing insurance and your done.  It has been said cost is to be nominal and relative to whatever ship you are insuring.  Whether you have purchased ship insurance in game or lifetime ship insurance the results are the same if your ship goes boom.  Anything beyond you stock load out on the ship is gone.  Guns, rockets, engine upgrades, mining lasers, extra cargo space, cargo you have on board, etc, etc are gone.  You reappear on a station with your stock ship and everything needs to be purchased again.

You could make an argument on whether those potentially lost items will be insurable when in the game.  That however is not something included in the LTI.  The LTI mechanic is a minor convenience given to those that wish to support the game during it's development process.  Certainly not anything close to a  pay to win button.

~Hairysun   

Than why have insurance at all if it's such a small deal?  The truth is that insurance is critical to the how the game operates and is a core part of the mechanics of the economy.  If everyone had LTI the game economy as I understand it wouldn't work.  Giving a handful of the whales it is going a bit to far in my book as it does change how those people look at risk vs reward in the game.  We will have to see if it ultimately results in hurting the game more than the dollars they got from those tiers helps but I don't think you should be quick to just dismiss it as not a big deal because it could very well end up having a significant negative impact on the game especially if the game doesn't catch on and after 6-12 months those big whales becomes a disproportionate percentage of the remaining population.

Even people with life time insurance will have to pay insurance for cargo and upgraded modules. I did buy ships and I don't have LTI on em, I don't care about it cause I know it won't be a big deal. I didn't even bother asking an original backer to turn my ships into ones with LTI even if it would be really easy to do so.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by NightBandit
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I wonder what's going to happen when someone that's given him thousands of dollars decides the game doesn't live up to the hype ( they never do when they have this much )

Devs have been getting death threats for far less.... I can see this becoming an issue in future. I'm sure it's great to open your hands and have people pour money into them but...who are these people and what mental state are they in never seems to get asked.

Had to laugh at your comment, if what you say is right then I'm FUCKING mad as a hatter! Lets put it this way, some folks spend thousands of $$, ££ or even euros, on all sorts of things daily. So if like myself who has money to use from working hard then surely its down to me to decide how I spend my money. I do not drink or smoke and gaming is my vice apart from my lady of course but she is also well looked after too.

My mental state is just fine...(But come near me and I'll rip your head off and shove it up your A...hole)..No seriously just kidding image but I've spent $1000 on the game and like I posted a few weeks ago I even saw them in Koln at Gamescom and worked all day helping them to get the hanger module out in time for their evening event for nothing, why because I can and have a skill they needed.

The point your missing is that the community on the forums for this game are absolutely amazing so many people are donating not just money but supporting the dervs team with food and many other goodies. Their is a live chat and many people are already friends before the game even goes into alpha. The last time I experienced a community like this was way back in EQI days and that's what's got me buzzing and if this is what the game will be like on launch then bring it on and if need be I'll donate another $1000 to help the guys achieve what they are trying to. 

Oh yeah and the contributions from some of the talent out there are second to none and Chris has even employed people because of their talent and when things are tough for folks looking to show their skills and find work then kudos to RSI I say. So instead of bitching about others go check it out and get your hand in your pocket and who knows you might even like the community your self and it will get you away from the daily moaning on here. image

I was in no way trying to imply spending money on the game ( any amount ) was crazy :) Or that the game might be bad. If you go in knowing it could disappoint and you'd have to accept that then by all means spend as much has your heart desires. I think it's great to support what you love.

I was speaking about the other kind of people. The ones who don't take disappointment so well, and who couldn't afford to spend what they did but let themselves get carried away in the hype. I don't WANT anything bad to happen or for these people to even be disappointed...I'm just wondering if it ever crosses the game devs minds when they do a kickstarter and this amount of money starts to come in. Do you ever think...who are these people that spend so much.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by Panther2103
    I don't like the fact that backing it gets you never ending insurance for that specific ship, which is impossible to get in game, so you always have a crazy ship because you payed for the ship with real money. I understand they needed a way to back the game, but they keep adding new ships that backers can buy, and I have seen first hand how many of my friends are like "MAN I NEED TO SPEND 200$ MORE TO GET THIS SHIP ITS SO COOL LOOKING" which bothers me, specifically because if they give you the peace that you don't have to pay when your ship gets blown up that's pretty much paying to win. Plus if they are already doing this, how long until their in game cash shop starts offering unlimited insurance for payments, I know Chris Roberts said that it wont be a thing, but he did acknowledge the cash shop, I bet in less than 6 months they will have ships with lifetime insurance in there too.

It seems you informed yourself, but unfortunately not enough. First of, the LTI will be in a years time obsolete. They will keep producing new ship models and there will be a point where your LTI ship will be so out dated, that you can't upgrade it to be competitive. Second the LTI only counts for the hull of the ship. If you upgrade your weapon, and you better do couse the starting guns are bad, you have to pay for the upgrade insurance. The same goes for cargo insurance, tractor beam upgrade, scanning upgrade and any other upgreade you buy. So LTI is totally overrated, but ppl resist to accept this fact.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723

These numbers are not true. Are just used for hype purposes to make people trust more that their project won't fail.

It is justa a tactic to get more money. They do not have all this money, but doing this approach, definitely is getting some more money.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by jcrg99

These numbers are not true. Are just used for hype purposes to make people trust more that their project won't fail.

It is justa a tactic to get more money. They do not have all this money, but doing this approach, definitely is getting some more money.

[citation needed]

Originally posted by Omali

[citation needed]

So, when someone is not telling the true, they will admit that. Is that what you think?

No. You will learn that if paying attention to the actions of the CIG team, the reactions in their forums about some "controversial" topics, not even allowing that, because you know... at this case... they just would not be capable to prove.

I definitely can hear many excuses coming to do not require that they prove the numbers. I have evidences that they did not tell the true many times, which lead me to believe that make more sense that they are not putting actual numbers here too, and has been using just for hype purposes and to motivate people to "feel" that there is no risk and they will build the game.

Something that I also believe (they probably interested just in releasing something and abandon later with a lot of profit with some "dramatic" letter about evil publishers and things like t hat).

But these numbers, are too far from reality of a crowd funding project, and they definitely had many difficulties to get 2.000.000 in Kickstarter, which is the only independent source so far. I remember in the beginning, when they did a million very quickly in their website, while in Kickstarter they made 200.000 or not so far from this.

All the remaining of the money was by their own website, and at the same time that you can believe that they acquired such money, or fans trying to hype the project pretend that they believe, they also open space to people believe that it is just not real numbers used for hype purposes. And, as I saw they not telling the true in other occasions, including related to number of Space Sim Fans, I think that its pretty obvious that they are not actual numbers, just marketing.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

So, when someone is not telling the true, they will admit that. Is that what you think?

No. You will learn that if paying attention to the actions of the CIG team, the reactions in their forums about some "controversial" topics, not even allowing that, because you know... at this case... they just would not be capable to prove.

I definitely can hear many excuses coming to do not require that they prove the numbers. I have evidences that they did not tell the true many times, which lead me to believe that make more sense that they are not putting actual numbers here too, and has been using just for hype purposes and to motivate people to "feel" that there is no risk and they will build the game.

Show your evidence then, if you have it. If you don't want to post it here, email it to me (contact[at]mmofallout[dot]com)

Originally posted by Omali

Show your evidence then, if you have it. If you don't want to post it here, email it to me (contact[at]mmofallout[dot]com)

I already posted in another thread. That one about money grab. Well... Not exactly told the whole history, which would need walls of posts, but that maybe give you some idea. Enough just to keep your eyes opened and see for yourself.  There are many evidences that they follow a marketing approach to mislead people and call attention regardless ethic or not. I even opened another thread to give one more example (about the pay2win message).

If you do not tell the true in many things in your marketing, sales campaigns, advertising, and motivate beliefs that are not true, perpetuating them "to become true", how could anything else that you said could be considered true or not? How people could be sure of "what is true" in what you say?

Well... I can speak for myself. I do not tell lies. I tell what I believe and what I learned with evidences that I got since I first pledged for that game in the first days of their crowd funding campaigns. 

Just watch them coming again and again with more new things that will contradict with things that they said earlier. Just open your eyes and pay attention. Unless you are a fan, just willing to make marketing for them, you will see that.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Haha, hilarious

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Originally posted by NomadMorlock
    Star Citizen just hit 26 Million Dollars in Crowd Funding!

Nice one, so for such shit are people willing to pay and spend 26 Million Dollars on a fucking virtual shit. If this money went into third world countries where kids have no food/water.. Oh well, great system we got.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by lickm3

Nice one, so for such shit people are willing to pay and spend 26 milions on a fucking virtual shit. If this money went into third world countries where kids have no food/water.. Oh well, great system we got.

What the hell is wrong with comments like this one. Dude I spend money on things I WANT to spend it on, I guess this is none of your business. Like you are free to send all your money to the third world, if you really care and it makes you feel better please do it, but don´t tell other people what to spend their money on.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Nice one, so for such shit are people willing to pay and spend 26 Million Dollars on a fucking virtual shit. If this money went into third world countries where kids have no food/water.. Oh well, great system we got.

Millions do go to third world countries. What good all that money does I have yet to see but they do get a lot of money.

That's not the only bad thing here. Not only they pay more and more for such wrong idea, a consumption obsession (Even that I doubt that they have such numbers), but when the company wants to make a "charity" campaign, they assume that send video-games to US soldiers (volunteer and well paid) in real war campaigns/missions is "charity", instead sending food for people that are killed by such soldiers in their "accidents" around the world, or even people with more serious necessities in their own country or in other countries not involved in wars.

It sounds that it is a company have as their target group, people with serious issues and really bad convictions, and they are really focused in feed their wishes, even creating absurd "charity" campaigns like that, to feed their sickness, so they give more and more money to them. The main proof of that is that just a few care with that and the great majority of their fans supported such non-sense "charity" campaign. 

But, the world still have some hope, since they just get a really tiny group of those who play games around the world. Just about 50.000 or 70.000 people. And probably the numbers won't going to far from that, even after release. So, yes, we have more people with more conscious  that are still gamers, and that won't feed a company that motivates REAL wars, instead going against that.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Some of these "3rd world" countries getting millions in aid can somehow afford nuclear and space programs, but "can't" afford to feed and educate their own citizens.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I truly hope this game turns out to be amazing,i would love to play an amazing game,been waiting for a long time for something good to come out.My gut tells me this game has about a 10% chance of being anything more than an updated graphical WingCommander.It looks a lot like Eve but released with better graphics but still tons of that useless empty space full of star textures.

Mr.Roberts entire career has been obsessed with space sim gaming,but really cheap sim gaming.I simply do not see him adding anything more because he has never proven he has an open mind above that  simple space sim design.Even listening to him,i get the feeling all he is looking for is HD ships with more players online to shoot each other.

If i was in his shoes and wanted to at least prove what little i am doing is going to be great,i would show some real fancy pew pew.We all know how lame combat looks in Eve,so better particles and effects/animations would be a step up.Personally i would expect even more since building a null space takes literally no effort at all.You could at least have several animations for ships being destroyed or blown apart.

in other words...show something ! that looks triple A.HD ship models and space full of stars with the odd station is not enough to give me a GAME !.Being able to shoot other  ships is not a full game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by goldtoof
    Some of these "3rd world" countries getting millions in aid can somehow afford nuclear and space programs, but "can't" afford to feed and educate their own citizens.

That comes from the guy probably of the country which drop 2 bombs under civilian heads (without counting the other bombardments that they made in the major Japan cities). And of course, did that only for marketing purposes, considering that Japan was already raising the white flag due the Russian military force advance, but americans, with fear to lose for the "communism", something really bad for those who takes a lot of profit and rule their government with the capitalism ideas, you know, had to drop the bomb, killing millions (Even today with deceases related), just because... money matters.

The country which likes to claims himself as "1st world" and we only see in decline, seems to spend much more money with bombs than any other in the planet, and letting many of their own people in despair in their "free" society.

But some of them (probably those who takes more profit with their ideas, regardless those who suffer) still are brainwashed and hypocrite enough to talk about others.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Nope I'm British

All these multi millionaires in China and India should be paying for their own poor people. (they don't they pay bugger all tax)

Why should ordinary blue collar westerners on low incomes be forced to pay instead? Especially when these countries can find the money for nuclear arms and space programs.

Same applies to places like Brazil with their huge inequalities. The wealthy there can more afford to help their poor but they just ignore them.

Now countries where everyone is poor, fair enough we should help them. But countries that have money and still have massive poverty, no we should tell them to get their house in order.
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I truly hope this game turns out to be amazing,i would love to play an amazing game,been waiting for a long time for something good to come out.My gut tells me this game has about a 10% chance of being anything more than an updated graphical WingCommander.It looks a lot like Eve but released with better graphics but still tons of that useless empty space full of star textures.

Mr.Roberts entire career has been obsessed with space sim gaming,but really cheap sim gaming.I simply do not see him adding anything more because he has never proven he has an open mind above that  simple space sim design.Even listening to him,i get the feeling all he is looking for is HD ships with more players online to shoot each other.

If i was in his shoes and wanted to at least prove what little i am doing is going to be great,i would show some real fancy pew pew.We all know how lame combat looks in Eve,so better particles and effects/animations would be a step up.Personally i would expect even more since building a null space takes literally no effort at all.You could at least have several animations for ships being destroyed or blown apart.

in other words...show something ! that looks triple A.HD ship models and space full of stars with the odd station is not enough to give me a GAME !.Being able to shoot other  ships is not a full game.

The funny thing about their earlier fails, is that "it was all guilty of the publishers". It seems that the guy, at the same time that is the most experienced people of the universe, is actually naive, and sold their soul for the first publisher that appeared with a bad deal to kill their earlier projects.

Blah! Blah! Blah! Every dev knows what publishers do and want and he knew before from Origin times. He did what he did to make profit, regardless the future of his company or of his game.

Did he changed and now that message that he says about "money does not matter" is true? Nope. Just marketing, because in serious interviews he said different things (of course, was not thinking in fans in such situation and treating with pairs, not blind fans which believes in fairy tales).

The guy just saw an opportunity to make a lot of money and it's making. He will try to release something good, of course, but more important than that, is to acquire money, something that he is really obsessed since he continues with his money machine instead, for example, focusing only in making marketing of new features, not related with money.

It's obvious that associating everything with money, putting in capital letters "We make 28 millions" all the time and in tiny letters the feature that such money added, will make people think (those that are not buyers yet) that they are only interested in money. But they do not care with this image that in this situation, goes against their "speech". It has this side effect. But they do not care. Because what matters is to grab the more money that they can of their fans to make a lot of profit. They are not counting with the future and knows that the numbers that they got at this point not really gives a too optimistic scenario.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Old news, we hit $27million allready...

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

The curmudgeon in me wants to see this game burn, watch those millions of dollars of gambled money drain down the developers throats. Just to ensure this latest fad of crowd funding dies the explosive death I surmise it will...

/sigh - Hope that 27 million makes a good game for you folks.... so much money on the development of a game to not have one directional input/power ... it astounds me.

• turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166

The funny thing about their earlier fails, is that "it was all guilty of the publishers". It seems that the guy, at the same time that is the most experienced people of the universe, is actually naive, and sold their soul for the first publisher that appeared with a bad deal to kill their earlier projects.

Blah! Blah! Blah! Every dev knows what publishers do and want and he knew before from Origin times. He did what he did to make profit, regardless the future of his company or of his game.

Did he changed and now that message that he says about "money does not matter" is true? Nope. Just marketing, because in serious interviews he said different things (of course, was not thinking in fans in such situation and treating with pairs, not blind fans which believes in fairy tales).

The guy just saw an opportunity to make a lot of money and it's making. He will try to release something good, of course, but more important than that, is to acquire money, something that he is really obsessed since he continues with his money machine instead, for example, focusing only in making marketing of new features, not related with money.

It's obvious that associating everything with money, putting in capital letters "We make 28 millions" all the time and in tiny letters the feature that such money added, will make people think (those that are not buyers yet) that they are only interested in money. But they do not care with this image that in this situation, goes against their "speech". It has this side effect. But they do not care. Because what matters is to grab the more money that they can of their fans to make a lot of profit. They are not counting with the future and knows that the numbers that they got at this point not really gives a too optimistic scenario.

This guy (jcrg99) is just an unflushed turd floating around the bowl and stinking up the rest of the house.

I dunno what his obviously very personal problem with Chris Roberts is, maybe Chris banged his sister, but all his posts are just anti-Chris Roberts/Star Citizen rants with few to no facts mentioned.

Someone please flush again.

T

• SteinarBSteinarB Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Originally posted by turinmacleod

This guy (jcrg99) is just an unflushed turd floating around the bowl and stinking up the rest of the house.

I dunno what his obviously very personal problem with Chris Roberts is, maybe Chris banged his sister, but all his posts are just anti-Chris Roberts/Star Citizen rants with few to no facts mentioned.

Someone please flush again.

T

He's a troll.  In fact, he was pushing the same kind of idiocy on the Star Citizen forums about a year ago until he became, if memory serves, the first person permanently banned there for being a troll.  Ignore him.  Feeding a troll just encourages them to come out from their natural habitat under bridges, which brings them into contact with human beings, and that's not good for the troll or people.  So be kind to the trolls and let them live free in the wild without any human contact as they were meant to.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

Well I've been following the game for more than a year and I'm really impressed with the teams they have put together.  These aren't amatures, these are industry pros.  The game has clear direction with no outside interference. 

This game may not be the end all-be all of games, but we're certainly seeing history made and with the funds available, I've got no concerns we'll get a quality AAA game.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Originally posted by morbuskabis

Originally posted by Redemp
     The curmudgeon in me wants to see this game burn, watch those millions of dollars of gambled money drain down the developers throats. Just to ensure this latest fad of crowd funding dies the explosive death I surmise it will...

/sigh - Hope that 27 million makes a good game for you folks.... so much money on the development of a game to not have one directional input/power ... it astounds me.

Simple minds are not capable to think in bigger terms

I don't find my distaste with crowd funding simple minded at all, in fact quite the opposite. The majority of people I know who throw money at kick-starters have no concept of fiscal responsibility or the value of a dollar.( Hell I barely have any fiscal responsibilty and people think I'm WWII minded) If anything crowd funding is leeching on this open-wallet mentality and more so on the strive to chase the dream of " A better game just hasn't been built yet, because we are funding the wrong companies". Now my original post was somewhat tongue in check, I do hope you folks produce the game that 27 million dollars of investors has purchased, but on the other hand .. I'm waiting for the one peice of the jenga puzzle to get pulled that topples this entire crowd funding system. By all means though, simple minds et al.