Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous?

Comments

• ImsneakyImsneaky Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by PumaClipper

In Star Citizen you won't do much actual flying in between the planets, since most of the time is spent in autopilot and cut-scenes, it will have cut-scene landings and no Freeform Atmospheric or Freeform interplanetary flight, also Planets and Star Systems won't have Real Distances and Size they will only have an average of 2 planets each and won't have Gravity, Orbits and Rotatations like in Elite: Dangerous.

Come again?!?  It appears that you know more about Elite Dangerous than you do Star Citizen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrQ0qMRZ_1Q

This is an earlier flight of the 300i in full atmospheric flight but the model is raw with no animations such as the engine, etc...  Terrain is seamless.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Lahuzer
    Originally posted by goldtoof
    Well there's a strong possibility valkarie will be a console exclusive.

They can't be that stupid again...

When CCP only recruits Goons as devs ANYTHING is possible in the world of EVE.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• PeciskPecisk Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Imsneaky
    This is an earlier flight of the 300i in full atmospheric flight but the model is raw with no animations such as the engine, etc...  Terrain is seamless.

It's a player hack, and you can't do it for full planet. No actual functionality coming to the game in nearest future.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Ingvar
    SC nor Elite are MMOs

Both SC and Elite are MMO.

BS.

SC is server based with a persistant universe, ED is some peer to peer lobby game, just without a lobby. 24 ships max. ED is basically single player focused with some co op.

Star Citizen is the real deal

I decided to put in 100£ for E.D. I think E.D needs the cash even more. S.C is already a huge succees. But the more I find out bout E.D, the more I think it's the game for me.

bad decision, but hey if you enjoy unfinanced promises for a long time after launch. Most of what they.. "plan".. won´t be in the release. No planet landing, no avatar walking around, no station interiors. Just you and your cockpit.

check out X-Rebirth, you can play that one in exactly 4 days when it releases and it has TONS of more features than ED

Some things I have learned about Star Citizen.

You will be able to fly to other planets.  In fact, you will be able to explore for planets that aren't even charted, and when you are the first to find them, the system or planet will be named after your character.

Modding will not only be supported, but encouraged.  You will be able to create mods for you and your friends to use off the main server, but those judged to be worthy of the main server will be be available for sale to other players.  The person/group that creates the mod will receive real money for their efforts.

Star Citizen will have full support for Oculus Rift.

It is unlikely that Star Citizen will ever be released on console...not without major changes by the console makers.  Roberts is determined not to allow this game to be dumbed down for consoles.  Consoles will likely not have the power to run the graphics, unless they are severely limited compared to the PC version.  While it uses the Cry3 engine, it is ramping it up quite a bit.

In Star Citizen, if you see a building, or object, such as a vehicle, space station, space craft, etc.. you will be able to go to it and interact with it.  No cardboard cutouts to trick the eye.

Here is a good video that talks about some of the features.

Originally posted by DocBrody
    SC nor Elite are MMOs

BS.

SC is server based with a persistant universe, ED is some peer to peer lobby game, just without a lobby. 24 ships max. ED is basically single player focused with some co op.

I decided to put in 100£ for E.D. I think E.D needs the cash even more. S.C is already a huge succees. But the more I find out bout E.D, the more I think it's the game for me. Will prolly put in some to S.C as well, but for now I went with E.D.

bad decision, but hey if you enjoy unfinanced promises for a long time after launch. Most of what they.. "plan".. won´t be in the release. No planet landing, no avatar walking around, no station interiors. Just you and your cockpit.

check out X-Rebirth, you can play that one in exactly 4 days when it releases and it has TONS of more features than ED

Nice try troll. SC is real deal, but ED is too. ED has huge persistant universe, with dynamic peer to peer instances, 32 ships and hundreds of NPCs in them.

And no, expansions is not "planned", they will happen. Same as SC features.

And no, XR doesn't have almost any of ED features, and is completely different game overall.

Originally posted by Pecisk

It's a player hack, and you can't do it for full planet. No actual functionality coming to the game in nearest future.

With $27 million to play with so far, neither you, nor i, nor anybody else knows what they will have by 2015 when it is expected to be released.

• PumaClipperPumaClipper Member Posts: 52

In Star Citizen you won't do much actual flying in between the planets, since most of the time is spent in autopilot and cut-scenes, it will have cut-scene landings and no Freeform Atmospheric or Freeform interplanetary flight, also Planets and Star Systems won't have Real Distances and Size they will only have an average of 2 planets each and won't have Gravity, Orbits and Rotatations like in Elite: Dangerous.

Come again?!?  It appears that you know more about Elite Dangerous than you do Star Citizen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrQ0qMRZ_1Q

That's an in-engine cinematic cut-scene.

That's just a 300i model loaded in another game engine called Outerra, that has nothing to do with Star Citizen or CryEngine.

You are misleading people by using these examples.

Some things I have learned about Star Citizen.

You will be able to fly to other planets.  In fact, you will be able to explore for planets that aren't even charted, and when you are the first to find them, the system or planet will be named after your character.

Flying to other planets in Star Citizen will be with autopilot only to predetermined landing pads, no freeform interplanetary flight and no freeform atmospheric flight and there won't be many planets to explore since there will only be 115 systems with an average of 2 planets each, unlike Elite: Dangerous which has trillions that aren't charted yet and can be named to you too.

Modding will not only be supported, but encouraged.  You will be able to create mods for you and your friends to use off the main server, but those judged to be worthy of the main server will be be available for sale to other players.  The person/group that creates the mod will receive real money for their efforts.

Star Citizen will have full support for Oculus Rift.

Elite: Dangerous has full Oculus rift support too.

It is unlikely that Star Citizen will ever be released on console...not without major changes by the console makers.  Roberts is determined not to allow this game to be dumbed down for consoles.  Consoles will likely not have the power to run the graphics, unless they are severely limited compared to the PC version.  While it uses the Cry3 engine, it is ramping it up quite a bit.

Chris Roberts is considering next gen consoles.

In Star Citizen, if you see a building, or object, such as a vehicle, space station, space craft, etc.. you will be able to go to it and interact with it.  No cardboard cutouts to trick the eye.

Here is a good video that talks about some of the features.

This is not true, since you won't be able to freely fly through planet atmospheres, also when you see a star in the background you can't go there since it's just a static skybox picture and not a true mapped star like in Elite: Dangerous

With $27 million to play with so far, neither you, nor i, nor anybody else knows what they will have by 2015 when it is expected to be released.

Sorry, but choice of graphics engine has seriously limited what Roberts can or can't do. To expand it beyond current means they will have to rewrite it almost completely. No amount of pledges can cover that :)

It's wishful thinking, since they would have to rewrite most of CryEngine and their whole approach support that and if it ever comes, 2017? don't expect full planets but just a few limited flying zones.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

ED will be more procedurally generated and sandboxish.

SC will be pre generated and have more predefined content.

Almost like distinction between Elite and Freelancer ;)

I think both will have their strenghts.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Well ed will be payable as a multiplayer game a whole year before sc, sp there's no reason not to play both.

Personally I'm more stoked for ed as well its elite, probably the greatest game ever.

Sc I'm a little worried about, its looking more wing commander than Privateer, I wasn't into the former, but Privateer was a great game. Also the ever increasing budget seems to be leading to huge feature creep.

People mentioned x. I'm not interested in x at all, tried the earlier ones, they are too much about industry and ecconomy with not enough emphasis on actual flight and combat.

Another game to look out for is limit theory.

Originally posted by PumaClipperThis is not true, since you won't be able to freely fly through planet atmospheres, also when you see a star in the background you can't go there since it's just a static skybox picture and not a true mapped star like in Elite: Dangerous

What you just said is not true.  You can fly manually between planets, which takes much longer but may be rewarded by discoveries like new jump-points, metal rich asteroids, derelict ships etc. You can also use Autopilot which will be faster and may be interrupted if you get into contact with other ships (pirates, traders etc.).

As for atmospheric flight, you are right that it is not in game yet, but that does not mean it won't be.  They need mapped out planets first, which they don't have yet.  Once they have that it is Robert's intentions to have free form atmospheric flight.

I get that you like Elite Dangerous.  Personally, I will likely try both games.

This is part one.  I am watching it now.

it turns out that David Braben of ED and Chris Roberts of SC are not as worried about the rivalry as some here are...since they admitted very early in this video that they are actually cooperating and helping each other.

Well yeah and they are very different games, so probably want compete anyway.

Ed is a modern day elite / Privateer

Sc is a modern day wing commander / freespace

Different genres
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

This is part one.  I am watching it now.

it turns out that David Braben of ED and Chris Roberts of SC are not as worried about the rivalry as some here are...since they admitted very early in this video that they are actually cooperating and helping each other.

+1 for mature adults interacting as such.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Found this.  Some modder made this Freelancer from SC fly like a helicopter in Cryengine.  If he can do that, I have little doubt that Roberts and his team will be able to have free flight in planetary atmospheres.   What Gary and Chris are doing is not like normal games..nor are the constrained in direction like normal games are.  Could EA get done, what I am talking about?  No, the wouldn't even try.  They aren't interested in that type of game.  They want games that are hot for 6 months, not 10 or more years.  Gary and Chris talked about that in that video.

I think both games will be great, and my advice to anyone who likes these types of games is to try both.  See which one fits your preferences.  You can always play both, but I am sure that most people like me won't have the time to dedicate to both games because of their scale.  But as it stands, I do not know which one I will prefer because I have not played either of them.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    SC nor Elite are MMOs

BS.

I decided to put in 100£ for E.D. I think E.D needs the cash even more. S.C is already a huge succees. But the more I find out bout E.D, the more I think it's the game for me. Will prolly put in some to S.C as well, but for now I went with E.D.

Nice try troll. SC is real deal, but ED is too. ED has huge persistant universe, with dynamic peer to peer instances, 32 ships and hundreds of NPCs in them.

And no, XR doesn't have almost any of ED features, and is completely different game overall.

please stop the misinformation propaganda. You say "Expansions is not planned but will happen"?? So what are you basing on these assumptions?

ED has 2 millions plus some change from an investor

SC has 27 millions

Everything ED wants to have after release is a pipe dream "SOME TIME AFTER RELEASE". Yeah we know how that usually ends.

Here my list what you can do in X-Rebirth you can´t and will probably never do in ED unless they find a huge pile of money on the street.

XR has:

1st person walking around on ship

1st person walking around on stations

Starting small then running a trade empire with numerous ships to control and manage strategically

Everything in the economy is real and visualized, you see ships loading and unloading your stuff in realtime

SC has all of the first person bells and whistles ON RELASE (Confirmed), money is there, people are working on it,

ED has none of that, sorry to burst your bubble but this is a fact.

So here it goes:

Star Citizen > X Rebirth > Elite Dangerous+Limit Theory (same category) 

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12840-Project-GODUS-And-Elite-Dangerous

Directly from Chris Roberts

The second project is Elite: Dangerous from Frontier Developments. They still have 17 days left, but are also in danger of missing their minimum Kickstarter raise without a surge towards the end. They need a little more – some £456,000. You may say hey Chris, why do you want to support a competing project? Well I believe the world is big enough for multiple quality Space Sims. Having to compete against the Star Wars X-Wing games from Larry Holland certainly didn’t harm Wing Commander and I feel Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous are different types / styles of games. Star Citizen is more focused on a “crafted” approach to the universe – more detail, cinematic flair and more unique characters and locations whereas Elite will follow a more procedural approach which will allow it to have a much larger galaxy to explore as a lot of content will be computer generated. Besides wanting to see Space Sims make a comeback, I fondly remember playing the original Elite on the BBC Micro by David Braben and Ian Bell. I started my game development career around the same time David did, with my first three games all being on the BBC Micro in the UK before I moved across to the USA and joined up with Origin. The original Elite definitely got me thinking about just how cool it would be to blend 3D space combat that with a cinematic story to create the experience I always craved when watching Star Wars.

I think it is very cool that Chris Roberts is going to help make Elite Dangerous become a reality.  It seems obvious to me that there is a lot of professional respect between these two men.

• UserUndeletedUserUndeleted Member Posts: 121
    SC nor Elite are MMOs

BS.

please stop the misinformation propaganda. You say "Expansions is not planned but will happen"?? So what are you basing on these assumptions?

ED has 2 millions plus some change from an investor

SC has 27 millions

Everything ED wants to have after release is a pipe dream "SOME TIME AFTER RELEASE". Yeah we know how that usually ends.

Here my list what you can do in X-Rebirth you can´t and will probably never do in ED unless they find a huge pile of money on the street.

XR has:

1st person walking around on ship

1st person walking around on stations

Starting small then running a trade empire with numerous ships to control and manage strategically

Everything in the economy is real and visualized, you see ships loading and unloading your stuff in realtime

SC has all of the first person bells and whistles ON RELASE (Confirmed), money is there, people are working on it,

ED has none of that, sorry to burst your bubble but this is a fact.

So here it goes:

Star Citizen > X Rebirth > Elite Dangerous+Limit Theory (same category) 

You're talking shite. Plus you can't compare SC, XR, and ED, because they're all different.

Found this.  Some modder made this Freelancer from SC fly like a helicopter in Cryengine.  If he can do that, I have little doubt that Roberts and his team will be able to have free flight in planetary atmospheres. 

You are showing misleading stuff again, this is just 1 small CryEngine level, not a full planet.

Found this.  Some modder made this Freelancer from SC fly like a helicopter in Cryengine.  If he can do that, I have little doubt that Roberts and his team will be able to have free flight in planetary atmospheres. 

You are showing misleading stuff again, this is just 1 small CryEngine level, not a full planet.

See, there ya go again.  No it is not misleading.  I clearly stated that if this guy can do this, and he is not a professional developer, then Chris and company can make planets full featured and flyable.  Nowhere did I say that this was something done by the SC devs, or that it was full in game.

The simple fact is that they CAN make the atmospheres of the planets flyable, if they want to, but I think they are more worried about getting the first part of the game done, and bug free, as soon as possible, and then worry about that stuff later.

Ok few points

Sc doesn't have seamless planetary landings. You fly to certain places, like above a star port and then a CUTSCENE takes you to the planet.

X is single player. It is also a game of playing space Donald trump vs scs han solo and eds mal Reynolds. I have bugger all interest in x. I see NOT being able to make an intergalacic corporate empire in ed and sc as a good feature. Means they can concentrate on what made the original space games great, good combat and flight and a one man in a hostile universe atmosphere

Ed has semi realistic flight like elite and elite +, not the full newtonian physics of frontier and first encounters. Ed also has a budget if £8mil, 2 from kickstarter, 2 from braben himself and 4 from private investors.
    Also really don't give a shit about walking around my ship. Why the sc and x devs are putting so much effort into something players will do a couple of times as a novelty then completely forget about when they are in the cut and thrust of actually playing the game I do not know.
This discussion has been closed.