Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beware getting your hopes up

salaciouscrumbssalaciouscrumbs Member UncommonPosts: 169

If there's any advice I can give to my fellow MMO aficionados, I would first say beware putting too much hope into this game in particular. For anyone who is expecting something different than the MMO's of the last decade, guard against hoping to the point of fantasy.

Beware for the following reasons:

• Lack of information about how the game will function - don't fill in the gaps with your fantasy
  • Consider that no large publisher, SOE included, has created a unique MMO in 10 years (since WoW)
  • The game appears from the demo, art-style, recently unveiled mechanics (fast travel) to be catering to very young people
  • There will be a cash shop and it will be free-to-play, not a subscription model - people seem to be forgetting this
  • Special effects and zerg-fest shown in the demo looks very similar to SWTOR's (failed) attempt at making everyone "heroic"
  • No evidence shown that multi-classing will be any different than Guild Wars 2 (failed) attempt at improving groups
  • Complete re-working of the EQ lore to the point where it's not the same lore whatsoever - not even remotely similar
  • All indications are that SOE is going down the same path as every other publisher for the last 10 years, taking no risks (with regards to mechanics being different to WoW) outside of the voxel-destruction.

I don't mention these points to bash the game. I mention them because of the many friends I have who seem to think this game is going to be something that (by all indications) it will not be. Many people also seem to be filling in the blank areas of information with wishful thinking - fantasies of what they believe the game should be rather than realistic speculation as to what it will be.

I'm only stating this because I was in the SWTOR community from the very beginning - I realize how much my own imagination of what "could have been" blinded me as to what ended up being reality in the end. I honestly wish I hadn't spent so much time involved in that community before the game even launched, because the final product was a slap in the face of what we all thought it would be.

Just be careful here - wait until most of the information is out before blindly believing that this is going to the next "big one", as many articles seem to have stated recently. I would hate to see the hopes of decent people crushed.

Comments

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I was hyped until they revealed it. 
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Wiha
    I was hyped until they revealed it. 

Same for me..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

*cough* wushu, excuse me. 

You seem to be filling in some gaps yourself. Multi classing like GW2? How did you get to that?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • salaciouscrumbssalaciouscrumbs Member UncommonPosts: 169
    Originally posted by bcbully

You seem to be filling in some gaps yourself. Multi classing like GW2? How did you get to that?

It's been revealed in a panel. I'll find a link and post below in a short bit. It's an interesting concept, but looks almost identical to Guild Wars 2 on it's face.

Edit: Here's a link to an article about the reveal on VG247. There's also a youtube video, but I don't have it handy.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Actually the OP is right. He's done his research and knows what he's talking about. He obviously knows EQ and has played it along time like myself. I'm not being sarcastic saying that either. I'm serious. And props to him for posting this. Like everyone here, I was really hyped for EQNext as well. I love EQ2, but as soon as my Guild Leader told me about the game and what they plan on doing with it. I later realized it will be more like playing an action rpg with a lot of housing options then an actual MMORPG. I hope this post dosnt get removed by the mods on this site, or people posting their thoughts get suspended for having an opinion on EQNext. Negative or positive its all good for gamers to share their thoughts. There is way to much fanboism on this site and not enough Factual information. I ended up having too do my own research and talking to other people then listening to some of the people on this site about EQnext. MMORPG.com should be more open to constructive critisism on the games listed here. Some of the negative posts can be quite informative as well.
    Originally posted by trash656
    Actually the OP is right. He's done his research and knows what he's talking about. He obviously knows EQ and has played it along time like myself. I was really hyped for EQNext as well. I love EQ2, but as soon as my Guild Leader told me about the game and what they plan on doing with it. I later realized it will be more like playing an action rpg with a lot of housing options then an actual MMORPG. I hope this post dosnt get removed by the mods on this site, or people posting their thoughts get suspended for having an opinion on EQNext. Negative or positive its all good for gamers to share their thoughts. There is way to much fanboism on this site and not enough Factual information. I ended up having too do my own research and talking to other people then listening to some of the people on this site.

No idea why this post would get locked - it's not negative at all. Just pointing out my mistake of getting unrealistically hyped for a game like SWTOR and the reasons to be cautious for this game.

Hell, EQN could end up being the next "big" thing for all of us. We don't know what's going to happen. But from the information we have thus far (and lack thereof) I think it is actually unhealthy to become obsessed the way we are capable of at this point in time.

• MattatronMattatron Member Posts: 226

OP's message is generic. He could be referring to any product or even significant others. To add to it we're supposed to learn "bitterness should outweigh enthusiasm" as a cautionary tale, rather than presume we, the audience, are capable.

OP Paraphrase :"Hey, in case you're a moron, I've felt ripped off by game companies before."

Well, no shit. I wish you had something actually about the game to argue.

Originally posted by salaciouscrumbs
    Originally posted by trash656
    Actually the OP is right. He's done his research and knows what he's talking about. He obviously knows EQ and has played it along time like myself. I was really hyped for EQNext as well. I love EQ2, but as soon as my Guild Leader told me about the game and what they plan on doing with it. I later realized it will be more like playing an action rpg with a lot of housing options then an actual MMORPG. I hope this post dosnt get removed by the mods on this site, or people posting their thoughts get suspended for having an opinion on EQNext. Negative or positive its all good for gamers to share their thoughts. There is way to much fanboism on this site and not enough Factual information. I ended up having too do my own research and talking to other people then listening to some of the people on this site.

No idea why this post would get locked - it's not negative at all. Just pointing out my mistake of getting unrealistically hyped for a game like SWTOR and the reasons to be cautious for this game.

Hell, EQN could end up being the next "big" thing for all of us. We don't know what's going to happen. But from the information we have thus far (and lack thereof) I think it is actually unhealthy to become obsessed the way we are capable of at this point in time.

You must be new to the site. Yes negative posts sometimes get removed. Don't worry I'm on your side I'm not looking to argue with you. I don't do that. I like you're post. Very informative. I agree with you for the most part, but I don't think this game will be the next best thing. People get too overly hyped over games on this site though. Lots of fanboi'ism you will find here. I don't visit this site much anymore because of it. The community here is depressing.

• wunderkind44wunderkind44 Member Posts: 14
    The reveal for EQNext was the last straw for me; mainstream developers will never get back to the true school mmorpg. Clearly, they are making a politically correct game for a young audience, not a mature fantasy world simulation. 
  • CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    An amazing looking version of minecraft with mmo traits is all it needs to be for me to be happy.
  • JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I really like what they've revealed so far honestly.   Not to where I think it's the perfect MMO, but it looks a fair bit better than what I've played in recent years.

Originally posted by Mattatron

OP's message is generic. He could be referring to any product or even significant others. To add to it we're supposed to learn "bitterness should outweigh enthusiasm" as a cautionary tale, rather than presume we, the audience, are capable.

OP Paraphrase :"Hey, in case you're a moron, I've felt ripped off by game companies before."

It is true that numerous MMO's that have come out over the last 10 years could benefit from cautionary posts. That doesn't mean that the post is generic, however, as it specifically addresses Everquest Next and does so with factual evidence.

There's plenty of arguments regarding the various mechanics and problems with EQN going on in other threads. Don't think we really need any more of those, tbh.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

i think he's confusing having different abilities with each weapon you equip as a class with the larger changes in abilities that are purportedly going to be possible in EQN.

but ya bcbully, i do think he's filling in quite a few gaps.

for instance, he equates the graphics with gameplay mechanics. because, you know, adults only play games with hyper-realistic graphics. therefore, any game with less than realistic graphical styles clearly must have children's mechanics in place.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Originally posted by Justsomenoob

I really like what they've revealed so far honestly.   Not to where I think it's the perfect MMO, but it looks a fair bit better than what I've played in recent years.

I think there's a market for a game like this. I'm glad you like what's been revealed. I don't think there's anything inherently "wrong" with the way the game is developing - I just think that for many people, their expectations are misplaced and far overreaching. At least with regards to my circle of friends. It's been hard convincing them that this isn't going to be an immersive, adult PvE experience like they seem to think based on the current indications.

*By immersive, adult PvE experience I mean that my friends are looking for a "realistic" graphics template and more challenging content.

It is true that numerous MMO's that have come out over the last 10 years could benefit from cautionary posts. That doesn't mean that the post is generic, however, as it specifically addresses Everquest Next and does so with factual evidence.

but one of your main points, which i agree with entirely, is that we don't know enough to have any real 'factual evidence' as to how the game will function.

Originally posted by wunderkind44
    The reveal for EQNext was the last straw for me; mainstream developers will never get back to the true school mmorpg. Clearly, they are making a politically correct game for a young audience, not a mature fantasy world simulation. 

Yeah same here. Thats why I am done with new mmorpg's. The developers want to cater to the kiddy crowd and the people who like simplified action gameplay, as long as its easy and simple for them to understand they all jump on the bandwagon.. Thats were developers think they make the most money now.

I think there's a market for a game like this. I'm glad you like what's been revealed. I don't think there's anything inherently "wrong" with the way the game is developing - I just think that for many people, their expectations are misplaced and far overreaching. At least with regards to my circle of friends. It's been hard convincing them that this isn't going to be an immersive, adult PvE experience like they seem to think.

and see, you do it again here. you can't have expectations misplaced unless you are expecting something wholly unrelated to what has been revealed.

for instance, if you are expecting an FFA PvP game, then ya, you have misplaced expectations.

Originally posted by aspekx

i think he's confusing having different abilities with each weapon you equip as a class with the larger changes in abilities that are purportedly going to be possible in EQN.

but ya bcbully, i do think he's filling in quite a few gaps.

for instance, he equates the graphics with gameplay mechanics. because, you know, adults only play games with hyper-realistic graphics. therefore, any game with less than realistic graphical styles clearly must have children's mechanics in place.

I'm not confusing anything here . . . To paraphrase myself, I stated there is "no evidence to the contrary" at this time to suggest anything different than Guild Wars 2 regarding the multi-class reveal. Guild Wars 2 is our only comparison thus far for this mechanic. And it failed horribly there. Something may come up that shows a significant difference. Who knows?

Because you may enjoy cartoon/disney graphics as an adult (I enjoy cartoons myself at times), that doesn't change the fact that SOE is clearly targeting younger people with the style. How many adults watch cartoons vs children? There are some adults who watch cartoons, but the demographic is extremely small. I can find statistics if you want to take it that far.

but one of your main points, which i agree with entirely, is that we don't know enough to have any real 'factual evidence' as to how the game will function.

There are some points in the OP that are known facts at this point. They've been completely revealed. I said there are significant gaps in information, but I didn't say that everything was unknown.

I think there's a market for a game like this. I'm glad you like what's been revealed. I don't think there's anything inherently "wrong" with the way the game is developing - I just think that for many people, their expectations are misplaced and far overreaching. At least with regards to my circle of friends. It's been hard convincing them that this isn't going to be an immersive, adult PvE experience like they seem to think.

and see, you do it again here. you can't have expectations misplaced unless you are expecting something wholly unrelated to what has been revealed.

for instance, if you are expecting an FFA PvP game, then ya, you have misplaced expectations.

"you can't have expectations misplaced unless you are expecting something wholly unrelated to what has been revealed" . . . I am addressing two factions here.

1. Those who misplace their expectations because they have not been keeping themselves totally informed on what's been revealed of the game.
    2. Those who have inserted a fantasy that fills the void of information regarding the game
    In both cases I'm suggesting caution. That's all. Be cautious, because it can really suck to get your hopes up and then crash and burn when things don't turn out the way you believed they would.

EQN seems to be a game that is hyped quite a lot - more than most other games (the MMORPG.com hype indicator rates it highest of them all). That being said - it's just my suggestion based on my experience to be careful.

I don't think the more extreme example of FFA PvP game is necessarily a good example of this type of misplacement either. Sure, if someone believed that they would be horribly misinformed. But many of my own friends believed things contrary to what's been revealed thus far and they only had an interest in a challenging PvE game. And they were surprised when they saw the demo and heard about fast travel, for instance.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

There may actually be something to the immersive PVE experience.   One key thing they've revealed that I think is solid is their take on the public quest/dynamic event etc.  Instead of it being something you just knock out for a quick exp bonus/reward and move on as we're used to, they spent a pretty good amount of time discussing these longer server changing versions of such, which I think will be fun to mess with.

It was one of the first things they revealed about the game and then they moved on.   I think a lot of people have forgotten about that already.

• MattatronMattatron Member Posts: 226

If there's any advice I can give to (insert label here to make the reader feel important), I would first say beware putting too much hope into this marriage in particular. For anyone who is expecting something different than the marriages of the last decade, guard against hoping to the point of fantasy.

Beware for the following reasons:

(Insert "facts" about marriage here, 75% of which being speculative comparison to other marriages)

I don't mention these points to bash the marriage. I mention them because of the many friends I have who seem to think this marriage is going to be something that (by all indications) it will not be. Many people also seem to be filling in the blank areas of information with wishful thinking - fantasies of what they believe the marriage should be rather than realistic speculation as to what it will be.

I'm only stating this because I was married - I realize how much my own imagination of what "could have been" blinded me as to what ended up being reality in the end. I honestly wish I hadn't spent so much time involved in that relationship before the marriage even launched, because the final product was a slap in the face of what we all thought it would be.

Just be careful here - wait until most of the information is out before blindly believing that this is going to the next "big one", as many articles seem to have stated recently. I would hate to see the hopes of (insert compliment here to make the reader feel loved) people crushed.

See what I mean? Shall we do it with a 2015 corvette next?

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

OP it's pretty obvious from your post history what your angle is and I don't think for one moment you are looking out for anyone.  You mention holes in SoE's information yet leave out almost all of what they have talked about, picking out specific things and comparing them to things that are nothing alike.  It's entirely possible you did not watch all of the videos back in August in which case it would be beneficial.

If you did and just don't believe it will be in the game that's your right, but that's not a comparison to SWTOR.  In SWTOR even when people seen all the info, right up to launch, they didn't care.  They wanted something different but didn't care if the model was the same.  With EQN we have a bunch of bullet points that haven't been proven yet but they do make a different MMO if they pan out.  There is a huge difference.

• pmcubedpmcubed Member Posts: 289

My relationship with MMO's throughout the years leaves me very jaded.

With this many unknown elements of EQ:N, I pretty much fill the blanks with cynicism, criticism, and doubt. 

The OP has a point.  In 10 years, MMO's haven't done much in the way of innovation.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    • Consider that no large publisher, SOE included, has created a unique MMO in 10 years (since WoW)
    Um.. hate to break it to you, but WoW was far from original, I mean hell, it took a massive majority of its queues from Everquest 1... you know that right?