Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turbine selling 50th level characters for $50 in HD

trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

This is baffling. Not that they would sell it, but it's only to level 50. Getting to 50 is fairly easy, it's from 50 and up that is a painful slog.  For $50, you should really get a level cap character...

Gift of the Valar:

A set of level 50 gear
1 Gold piece
An LIXP rune, worth enough XP to bring one LI to level 10
4 ranks of each virtue
The Riding skill
A Dusky Nimblefoot Goat
A 25-stack of food that scales with your level
A 25-stack of Morale and Power potions that scale with your level
5 +100% XP Boosts
A single-use map to Rivendell
25 Mithril Coins

4995 TP

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

Comments

• SpookmoxieSpookmoxie Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I'd rather resub and go ham on traits(corruptions) from the store for my warg!!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

That's so sad. How much disdain must they have for their game. I can understand if there was one levelign path and you took a character through it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Agreed Sovrath. 

I wonder how many they will sell?   Not that many I would guess.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by Sovrath

That's so sad. How much disdain must they have for their game. I can understand if there was one levelign path and you took a character through it.

Their disdain started small with Mirkwood but went full steam with F2P.  WB is clearly new at this as they're really the villains in terms of how they've tried to milk the LOTRO players.

Middle Earth is great, but I'm not attached to that IP so deeply that I'd accept the way WB and Turbine treat the players.  I'd be hard pressed to ever buy another WB or Turbine game.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Can't say I'm surprised but it's sad that Turbine seems to have changed so much over the years. One reason I went for the lifetime on LOTRO was the way they used to give so much free content and really care about the game on more than just a cash cow level. Then after Mirkwood when they stopped releasing any content for a long time and then went F2P that's really done a 180.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

A game needs to make money, to pay for its costs...

I asume currently lotro is not making enough... or it is making lots of money because people will spend their well earned money on things like this...

with double XP for the last 30 levels, it took me over 100 hours to reach level 50..  To bad that everything, and i mean really everything costs money, even if you are subbed.. but when you are finally at the end of the train, there is nothing left you want, you can quit your sub and have enough TP left to buy  all lower level content packs and such and unlock dungeons and skirmishes..  Thats after like 2 years of subscription

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

I'd say it's still one of the best MMOs I've played despite the F2P and other BS lately. If you sub you get some points to spend in the store every month which is more than you will ever really need unless you absolutely love cosmetic stuff or buffs and there still seem to be a fair number of people running around on my server (although not as many as in old days). 

It still captures Middle Earth pretty well so if you're into that  you should definitely give it a try. Of course, Turbine is set to dumb dow...er...revamp the class skills in a couple of weeks which pisses me of and might kind of spoil the game. But right at this moment it's still good

• ChaaKChaaK Member Posts: 39

I wonder what you guys are talking about. I played up to 25 for free, then subbed a month, and had absolutly nothing more to pay in the cash shop...

Dinged 50 yesterday, and bought the 4 expansion pack almost right away. Just entered on the Moria. Man I'm like a little girl in front of M. Bieber, this is so cool.

Took me 100H, just like Bacchus, and that was a lot of fun, even though it's hard to make groups for low level dungeons. Actually made it for the galgals, garth agarwen and 3/4 for fornost, so it's not completly empty either.

IMHO still one of the best MMO around, and definitly the most immersive one.

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Nobody says you have to buy it do they?

MMO's are there to make money, not supply years worth of content for free so tight wads can leech off them.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

You guys are just way too easy. Frikken fish in a barrel.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Lol at those "MMOs should make money" comments. I liked Lotro but then Turbine turned it into shite. I'll never touch anything with Turbine involved ever again.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by ChaaK

I wonder what you guys are talking about. I played up to 25 for free, then subbed a month, and had absolutly nothing more to pay in the cash shop...

Dinged 50 yesterday, and bought the 4 expansion pack almost right away. Just entered on the Moria. Man I'm like a little girl in front of M. Bieber, this is so cool.

I wonder what you guys are talking about  - They're talking about this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiVz5EwXFBg

(and a big /boo for that bieber comment :) )

As a leveling-favoured player I've been talking against AoC's insta lvl50 right from the start, just like any similar mechanics in other games as well. For this LotRO one in the thread, I'm pretty sure the Valar wouldn't be that stupid to gift this openly to anyone on Arda...

Actually it's much worse that AoC's version, since there's not even a limit for having a capped character before you can use it, not to mention the boosts you receive with it. And I'm not talking about the full gear of 50's, the consumables and the xp boosts.

Let alone the coins, the riding skill and the Nimblefoot would cost 1350 TP on store, hence making this "gift" an even better deal, and for the 4 virtues... if the buyer is turning back from the Gates and with his/her newly pumped-up lvl50 toon roaming through Eriador, s/he can easily jumpstart the better virtues to 8-9 in a week.

I'm pretty sure this is exactly among those kinda stuff what they've strictly said never would get in the Store, 3 years ago. As some hobbit npc's would say, It's been a foul day it has...

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Wiha
    Lol at those "MMOs should make money" comments. I liked Lotro but then Turbine turned it into shite. I'll never touch anything with Turbine involved ever again.

Actually it was not Turbine that did the real evil... but it was Warner Bross after the take over...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Am I missing something here? I do not see an instant level fifty character. You still have to level up. You get the level 50 gear, but you still have to level up to get there.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by avalon1000
    Am I missing something here?

Yep, quite a few things... Easiest solution for it, scroll back a bit, the second post above you (my post, accidentally :) ) has a link.

Or, if you have a bit more time and prefer reading instead of watching videos, here's the forum link: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?529879-Gift-of-Valar!-Raise-your-level-to-50-with-no-effort-at-all!

Or, if you have even more time, check it in the beta for yourself.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Actually it was not Turbine that did the real evil... but it was Warner Bross after the take over...

This has long been happening long before WB acquired Turbine. 

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

You guys are just way too easy. Frikken fish in a barrel.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Am I missing something here? I do not see an instant level fifty character. You still have to level up. You get the level 50 gear, but you still have to level up to get there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiVz5EwXFBg

Here you go.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137
    Level 50 for $50?  At least EQ2 had level 85 characters they were GIVING AWAY FREE  last month (level cap is 95 there).  And if you are late to the party, it costs $35 for a level 85 now.   Turbine is off its rocker with its prices.
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

LotRO is a good game otherwise hampered by poor, frustrating design decisions.

I come back from time to time but am always eventually driven away by the grind-centric character progression.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

Yeah, my "lifetime sub" has turned out to be anything but...

Uninstalled a long time ago.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Sovrath

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiVz5EwXFBg

Here you go.

whats baffling in that video is his video settings

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • UW1975UW1975 Member Posts: 183

I also think it is a good idea if people are willing to invest money in it. Hoenstly I would never waste my TPs in there.

The title is however deceptive, as we are talking of TPs, which does not translate in money so easily (to give you an example, I can make 500 TPs easy each month with my characters). 

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Are you guys complaining that they're selling lvl 50 toons, or that they cost $50?

They're obviously for people who wants to get to higher level content in an instant.