Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No faith in this game...

RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808

I'm sorry, but it's just hard to get excited about games like this.  After the terrible Mortal Online, and Darkfall Online any time I see a big sand box MMO coming out and being created by some unknown, unproven dev team...  There's just no point to even get excited yet.  

Maybe they'll prove me wrong but I highly doubt it.  It's probably going to be another poorly supported game with a lot of big ideas, none of which will ever actually make it into the game.  At least not in the way so many of us picture them.

I like to complain about games.

Comments

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

Way to go with your negativity!

I understand your concern, but most of the industry is (finally) moving toward sandboxiness, so to speak. After Guild Wars 2, Elder Scrolls Online will likely be the last theme park.

We have:

• Archeage (which has a big budget)
    • Black Desert (new Korean game, likely a decent budget as well, amazing visuals)
    • Pathfinder Online
    • Embers of Caerus
    • The Repopulation
    • Theralon
    • Life is Feudal
    • Origins of Malu
    • The War Z
    • World of Darkness

Granted, most of these are done by small teams, but that doesn't mean that they can't be successful like CCP was with Eve, for example. I do believe that we are going to see many diverse and innovative games in the near future, and at least a few of them will be successful, thus encouraging more developers to pursue that route. Not to mention that there is Kickstarter now, which will help a great deal with these kind of projects.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I don't think it's even in alpha! Well let's wait and see. All the good sandboxes I have come accross are extremely simple when you boil it down EVE and minecraft are perfect examples of this. But I have yet to see the sandbox done well in a complex environments or ecosystems. Anyway, let's give games a chance before giving the an F.
  • MrTugglesMrTuggles Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    I don't think it's even in alpha! Well let's wait and see. All the good sandboxes I have come accross are extremely simple when you boil it down EVE and minecraft are perfect examples of this. But I have yet to see the sandbox done well in a complex environments or ecosystems. Anyway, let's give games a chance before giving the an F.

Wait, did you just say Eve was "extremely simple"?

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by MrTuggles
    Originally posted by Arakazi

Wait, did you just say Eve was "extremely simple"?

Yeah, the mechanics are fairly simple. What gives EVE it's complexity is the politics or the human element rather than some extremely complex game mechanic. But this is comming from a guy that played EVE for 5 years so I might see it from a different perspective. Of course you could call fleet battles complex you start deconstructing every individual component, examening the skills, strategy and loadouts of each pilot. But you could do the same for rock paper scissors, but at it's heart it's fairly simple.

• XodenXoden Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Ridrith

I'm sorry, but it's just hard to get excited about games like this.  After the terrible Mortal Online, and Darkfall Online any time I see a big sand box MMO coming out and being created by some unknown, unproven dev team...  There's just no point to even get excited yet.  

Maybe they'll prove me wrong but I highly doubt it.  It's probably going to be another poorly supported game with a lot of big ideas, none of which will ever actually make it into the game.  At least not in the way so many of us picture them.

I was thinking the same but then i took a look at their website I found out that their CEO is Andreas Weidenhaupt who secured European licenses for games like TERA and Raiderz. And in some of the GamesCom news it says that they have people from the dev and publishing side of games like Spellborn, Runes of Magic, Face of Mankind and Crysis.

Also if you translate some German news it says that Jess Mulligan is working on the project, who was involved in really old MMO games like Ultima Online and Asheron's Call. So, it seems that they are definitely not an inexperienced company.

www.

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    browsers r terrible at handling games like this that should be client based

hallo ~_~

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808

Well, looking back I'm glad to see that I more or less called it!

Archeage (which has a big budget)  - Ended up being a HORRIBLE game in almost every respect, the cash shop, fale advertising and just general mismanagement of the game has proven that it probably won't last past the five year point.  Archeage will be forgotten about by 2016.

Black Desert (new Korean game, likely a decent budget as well, amazing visuals) - Early reviews from the Korean betas are showing it to have very little substance beyond looking pretty.  Seems to be filled with grind and other generic korean MMO tropes.

Pathfinder Online - Looking pretty terrible.

Embers of Caerus - Scam game.

The Repopulation - Probably the best looking of the bunch, constant updates.  Legit dev team.  I'm all for The Repopulation finding success.  They're doing something right.

Theralon - No news.  My concerns were 100% valid.

Life is Feudal - Still in very early development, the following will probably never be as large as it needs to be for it to be successful.  They've released a 'multiplayer' version and are just now looking into creating their mmo version.  Not a lot of people are happy about it.

Origins of Malu - Still nothing solid to report, it's being worked on.  Not much else.  (Revamped and downscaled.)

The War Z - Hah.  Was one of the most horrible games to come out in some time, so much so that it was actually taken off steam for a time.  Not to mention the other controversies surrounding the game and its dev team.

World of Darkness - Not even going to happen.
  • HowbadisbadHowbadisbad Member UncommonPosts: 453

How do you feel about Albion Online

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    o.O  Don't forget about Greedmonger!
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808
    I think Albion online actually looks to be really interesting, I'm also extremely excited for Shards Online.  Greedmonger?  Vaporware as far as I'm concerned.  They're making progress, but it's so slow and so mismanaged that I doubt we'll ever actually see it come out.  At least not in a complete, playable state that will ever give it a real chance.