Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE and SWG PRE-CU Code what a lie!

ajax7ajax7 Member Posts: 363

I work at a large Billion dollar Corp.

Code, it is never thrown away it is archived to media also and unfortunately people squired copys of the code on their hard drives and that is quite common also.

Also large Corp. keep copys of there code each and every revision that is made is saved.

So The code for PRE-CU still exist at SOE there just not telling the truth.

What company would destroy their valuable property none I know of and I'm sure from time to time they look at this code and take bits and pieces from it.

Ajax

Comments

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by ajax7

Code, it is never thrown away it is archived to media also and unfortunately people squired copys of the code on their hard drives and that is quite common also.

Most MMO developers that I've talked to do not keep their old builds archived past a certain date. You ask Blizzard, Sony, EA, Mythic, NCSoft, Turbine, Funcom, etc, if they'd consider a classic server for any of their MMOs and most will tell you that the data doesn't exist either because the archive only goes back maybe a year or two, or because their system is modular and a unified build does not exist. 

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Or more just as likely, the code is a basis for another active game they have and letting the source into the wild could compromise their active games.

Besides, LucasFilm/Disney would crush anyone that tried to revive it seriously.

• Korda-StarsiderKorda-Starsider Member Posts: 2

I'm just hoping they don't want to release any server code because there is a chance they will revive the game someday. I hope my characters (and all my stuff) is sitting on an archival quality backup tape somewhere.

I do remember reading about certain parts of the code that are patented and may include trade secrets... terrain generation I think it was. I just wish they would sell it all to Bioware and let them put up a server! One NGE and one Precu, if possible.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    wait for SWG 2 --- it will come
  • clockwerk2013clockwerk2013 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by DocBrody

unfortunately you sir are so wrong!

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by ajax7

I work at a large Billion dollar Corp.

Also large Corp. keep copys of there code each and every revision that is made is saved.

So The code for PRE-CU still exist at SOE there just not telling the truth.

What company would destroy their valuable property none I know of and I'm sure from time to time they look at this code and take bits and pieces from it.

On a direct question John Smedley admitted they have the code.

Q: Is the server code for SWG Pre-CU and Pre-NGE really gone or was that just the line to get people to stop asking about it?

A: is it gone? No. Is it ever coming out again? no.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/xlir0/iama_john_smedley_22_year_game_industry_veteran/

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Does it matter if they have the code ? The IP doesn't belong to them anymore. They can't just give it out and let it go open source. Disney owns the IP rights SOE owns the "code" do you really think they'd ever agree it's a good idea to lets fans have swg for free ?
  • Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by DocBrody

I've been dreaming of that for many years.