Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] The Secret World: Augments and Scenarios, Oh My!

2»

Comments

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    Originally posted by mCalvert

I just picked it up the other day and have mixed feelings about it so far. I like that its partially open ended in how you play and has a unique setting. I don't like that its utterly confusing in some cases, what to do, how to play and do things, and there doesn't seem to be much social interaction with other players. Combat is probably the worse aspect of the game, being a very boring mix of unrealistic actions and repetition. Plus you die a lot, partially because enemies are very thick, dangerous and respawn quickly. But Ill keep at it.

Hola!  Here's a couple forum threads that I think will be helpful:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=66643

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=52907

Once you start increasing the number of skills and abilities, you can switch up your build and get more interesting combat effects; your build is key to survivability -- don't be afraid to ask questions.  Lots of good tips in the build section as well:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Yeah, Im getting there. Once I got rid of guns and went to blades, with better gear, things were much easier. I don't think there is anything that can improve combat as its very limited in motion and action. No matter what skills you choose its just a rehash of builder, finisher and CC. Rinse repeat. But since the story is the focus, its worth pushing through the boredom of combat.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Originally posted by Spiider
    I love it but this is not a mmo.

How? It has a relatively large persistant world... what games do you consider MMOs?

TSW is an mmo but i can see why he said that. Probably its because theres not enough people playing at any given time. Fusang is completely empty and open world pve needs more people as well.

• cstroutscstrouts Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by udon

I just picked it up the other day and have mixed feelings about it so far. I like that its partially open ended in how you play and has a unique setting. I don't like that its utterly confusing in some cases, what to do, how to play and do things, and there doesn't seem to be much social interaction with other players. Combat is probably the worse aspect of the game, being a very boring mix of unrealistic actions and repetition. Plus you die a lot, partially because enemies are very thick, dangerous and respawn quickly. But Ill keep at it.

TSW has IMO hands down the most complicated skill synergy system of any MMO out there.  if you love that kind of thing you can spend countless hours theory crafting builds based on specific themes.

The problem I have with the game is that once you hit that first attack it kind of all falls flat in a hurry.  It's a gave where the act of picking what skills to put on your hot bar is much more interesting and engaging than actually using them.

Not to say it's not a good game just that the act of actual combat is probably it's weakest part.  If you can look past that and at the deep character skill system, great lore, and well designed zones it's a really good game.

Theory crafting is definitely fun in this game.  When fighting the more boring trash mobs, the fight is more interesting if you use the time to analyze your build performance.  Do you have a passive skill that procs off a blocked hit?  Well how often do you see it proc in a fight?  Maybe you need to look for ways to increase your frequency of blocks.  Maybe you need a new glyph on your gear, or another passive will synergize to increase blocks.  Try something new, and test it out in the next fight.  That's what the boring fights are really for - refining your builds. 

Dungeons are a whole different story though.  The fights here aren't at all boring.  You have to move constantly, and staying alive requires concentration.

For routine combat though, I can certainly understand the boredom, especially if theory crafting is not your thing.  Currently, you have to use your builder skill 5 times to get the biggest hits from your 2 consumer skills.  I would like to see more ways to reduce the use of the builder skill.  There could be passives that increase the resource generation of the builder, or kill streaks that fill all 5 resources at once.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by cstrouts

TSW has IMO hands down the most complicated skill synergy system of any MMO out there.  if you love that kind of thing you can spend countless hours theory crafting builds based on specific themes.

The problem I have with the game is that once you hit that first attack it kind of all falls flat in a hurry.  It's a gave where the act of picking what skills to put on your hot bar is much more interesting and engaging than actually using them.

Not to say it's not a good game just that the act of actual combat is probably it's weakest part.  If you can look past that and at the deep character skill system, great lore, and well designed zones it's a really good game.

Theory crafting is definitely fun in this game.  When fighting the more boring trash mobs, the fight is more interesting if you use the time to analyze your build performance.  Do you have a passive skill that procs off a blocked hit?  Well how often do you see it proc in a fight?  Maybe you need to look for ways to increase your frequency of blocks.  Maybe you need a new glyph on your gear, or another passive will synergize to increase blocks.  Try something new, and test it out in the next fight.  That's what the boring fights are really for - refining your builds. 

Dungeons are a whole different story though.  The fights here aren't at all boring.  You have to move constantly, and staying alive requires concentration.

For routine combat though, I can certainly understand the boredom, especially if theory crafting is not your thing.  Currently, you have to use your builder skill 5 times to get the biggest hits from your 2 consumer skills.  I would like to see more ways to reduce the use of the builder skill.  There could be passives that increase the resource generation of the builder, or kill streaks that fill all 5 resources at once.

Definetly not my thing. If I was doing PVP it might be more fun to have to come up with ways to beat people, but AI mobs are so dumb, you don't really need to do much to out think them. Nothing outleveling/grouping/more dps cant handle. I prefer twitch combat, not tab targeting button mashing, no offense to those who do. Anyhoo, Ive gotten my $15 worth, so whatever.

• VargurVargur Member CommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by cstrouts

Definetly not my thing. If I was doing PVP it might be more fun to have to come up with ways to beat people, but AI mobs are so dumb, you don't really need to do much to out think them. Nothing outleveling/grouping/more dps cant handle. I prefer twitch combat, not tab targeting button mashing, no offense to those who do. Anyhoo, Ive gotten my $15 worth, so whatever.

If you stick it out until Nightmare levels (which will be a hard thing to do if you dislike the game), you'll experience a different game. I agree that most of the game is too solo friendly, and few reasons are given for grouping, but Nightmare dungeons are definitely a challenge (for me, at least).