Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2 Killer

12346»

Comments

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

I'm under the firm belief that Brad McQuaid was everquest not SOE.  Smedley couldn't run a MMO if he had exclusive rights to the internet. SOE is totally out of touch with everyone. All EQ has become since McQuaid left is expansions of new pointless zones.

Vangauard is gonna be EQ2 the way it was meant to be.  Both EQ and EQ2 will continue to survive, but I think there are more [former] eq players posting on the Vanguard site then there are on the EQ site.

Yup, Vanguard will be the next generation MMO for sure.  I'd put money on it.

• krenalorkrenalor Member Posts: 214

Originally posted by Rayx0r

I have to agree on the community in the Vanguard forums
    absolutely terrible and extremely elitist.  god forbid you even mention something that was mentioned within the past few months on that forum and you'll be crucified as a heretic!
    theres not much going on in those forums except a hell of a lot of noise, mainly because people have this idea that the more they post..the better there odds of getting into beta are (as happens in most games previously to release)
    if the forum users are any reflection on the sort of people I will meet in game, I'll just wait.  It seems every hater that has ever hated a game has come to the vanguard website
    I ESPECIALLY enjoy the folks who constantly bash other games (such as DDO, and D&L, and SWG, and WOW) and expect this to increase their chances of getting into a beta.  People need to see things from the eyes of a developer, really.  I mean Im not gonna want some guy testing my game who says things like "I played DDO for 3 hours and deleted it from my hard drive".  Theres so many things wrong with that sentence, and is very disrespectful of someone to say such things when they are testing confidential material.
    oh, and as far as EQ2 and Vanguard is concerned..  I think Age of Conan will end up being better than both.  As far as my tastes are concerned anyway, which is all that matters to me.

I agree and got myself banned from the Vanguard boards intentionally. The level of idiocy on that board is incredible! They are the ones that got booted off this board when they tried their crap on an UNBIASED board.
  • FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

"Vanguard is going to flop!"

The only way I see Vanguard flopping is if they fall far short of what
    they're promising to bing back to the industry. I'm certainly an
    advocate for the game's success, as was I for EQ2 before it launched,
    but I do acknowledge the possibility of the game, in the same fashion as
    EQ2, failing to meet players' expectations and leaving many people
    imbittered once again. I'm still looking forward to the game and hope
    that doesnt happen here as it did with EQ2, and given the developers
    behind Vanguard, and the information I've heard thus far as well as
    Sigil's intentions going into this project, I remain optimistic for this
    title, without getting my hopes up too much.

As things stand, Vanguard will be the determining factor in my decision
    to continue playing MMORPG's. Nothing I've tried since Everquest has
    been more than mildly entertaining for me, and if Sigil cant bring that
    experience back to the market, then I dont think I should bother wasting
    any more of my money on what to me personally, is a dieing genre.

Oh, and just to extinguish the flamers beforehand, when I say "dieing
    genre" I mean that in the sense that it's dead to me, that it's lost
    it's appeal to me.

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

Originally posted by SDFrost

"The whiners on the Vanguard forums are already turning me off to this game though... whhaaaa lets have permadeath, whaaaaa crafting better be special, waaaaa I don't want the ability to find a soulshard, i wanna lose durability on all my items 100% and lose 3 levels of xp when I die.  Beat me and make the game super hard because I hate myself and have too much time on my hands... waaaa.
    Shut it already.  Games are supposed to be fun.  If the vanguard team listens to it's forum members, EQ2 might not have that much competition... both games will suck."

Hmm...or could it be that maybe...just maybe...a game that involves a little thought and time IS a fun idea to some people?? Maybe some people have fun crafting. Maybe some people find it boring if they can breeze through to maximum level with minimal effort and no fear of death. Maybe your opinion of what's fun is NOT absolute, and you're just self-centered for thinking otherwise.

You can like it, or hate it all you want, but you have some nerve telling other people they're wrong for enjoying the things they do. So instead of whining in a similar fashion to that which you apparently hate so much, why dont you just...how did you put it..."Shut it already" and find a game more suited to your tastes and let other people have their fun too.

There are plenty of games out there with lack of substance, no penalty for death, and little else to do but kill kill kill. If this is really what you want, WoW is probably the best among them. If you havnt tried it already, give it a shot. If that's what you like, great. It means the rest of us wont have to put up with you.

Edit: And no, I'm not bashing WoW, although it may sound like it. I actually enjoyed the game until I ran out of stuff to do...which took about 2 months. I like a challenge, and that game presented little, if any. Seeing all there is to see in 2 months time is simply a mild diversion to me and mmorpg'ers like me. There are those of us who want something epic, like EQ used to be. That's what draws us to Vanguard. Since MMORPG's became mainstream, no game has been quite the same. We flock to Vanguard hoping this game will be the sigil of epic mmorpg'ing that we've been deprived of for the last few years, but no amount of bad puns will get some people to understand that. Some people just want every new game that gets released to be the same effortless pickup-play-putdown-and-move-on game that this "2nd gen" of MMORPG's has been, and to say that anyone's wrong for wanting otherwise is just ego-centric, closed minded, and arrogant in my opinion.

I'm not into kill kill kill games... I like the quest system in wow.

I'm not bashing other peoples opinions OR trying to cram down their throats a game that is less than fulfilling or "too easy".  I was a tailor on SWG for a year and a half.... I ran a business there... I know what it's like to play a game for more than the quest system OR the combat system.

What I can't stand is the whiney biatches that fill the Vanguard forums with crybaby lala posts about how they want everything to be super hard.  Sony learned that you cannot appease the masses with this.  EQ2 with it's crafting system, and rares truly being RARE, and their experience debt and group xp debt... they got rid of ALLLL that... because it didn't appeal to the "average' gamer.

I'm not self centered.  I'd like a game with a lot more depth too and that's exactly what drew me to Vanguard in the first place but I think you're sadly mistaken if you think this game is going to be different from others.  It may be harder, but it's not going to be the game that 20% of the gamer community yearns for because frankly, that's not where the money is.

I look forward to skipping over your whiney posts on the Vanguard forum site after the game is released and you're disappointed.... again.

Edited to clarify that I also have great hopes for this game, and everything that I've seen and read about the game sounds exceptional so far.  It's the forum posters at vanguard that I'm hoping pick a different server.

No bitchers.

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

dang this thread is still going? ::::04::

i don't think it is to much to ask for a more challenging game that may not be as attractive to a casual player, why does every single game have to be made for casual players because wow is so successfull?

why not make different styles of games for different styles of gamers? true most gamers are casual and that is why wow is so successfully, but i don't think every game needs to be made like that IMO.

i personally like wow, and have been playing it since open beta but i want to play a challenging game where i can make one character and progress with him for years. i don't want to hit max level in 2-3 months because i like to play alot.

thats just me, that is my play style...why cant i (and others like me) have a game to fit my style? I'm not speaking for any other vanguard posters, that is just my personal opinion....that being said, i cant wait for vanguard to be released, looking real good so far!::::40::

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

"What I can't stand is the whiney biatches that fill the
    Vanguard forums with crybaby lala posts about how they want everything
    to be super hard.  Sony learned that you cannot appease the masses with
    this.  EQ2 with it's crafting system, and rares truly being RARE, and
    their experience debt and group xp debt... they got rid of ALLLL that...
    because it didn't appeal to the "average' gamer
    ."

If you thought EQ2 was at any point in time even remotely difficult, I'd
    hate to see what you consider easy. Many people like to be challenged.
    It would seem as though you're not one of them. Dont you think it's fair
    for those of us who enjoy a challenge to have a game that presents us
    with one? No of course you dont, because you cant see beyond your own
    perspective. Oh and might I add as well that EQ2 is certainly not now,
    nor was it ever really the huge success it's predecessor was, which yes,
    made you work for your character's advancement. Thats right I said the
    word "work". Some may whine about how "a game is supposed to be fun, not
    work" but what many fail to see is that a lot of people find a certain
    level of enjoyment and pride when overcoming difficult challenges.

"I'm not self centered.  I'd like a game with a lot more depth
    too and that's exactly what drew me to Vanguard in the first place but I
    think you're sadly mistaken if you think this game is going to be
    different from others.  It may be harder, but it's not going to be the
    game that 20% of the gamer community yearns for because frankly, that's
    not where the money is."

Well you've obviously researched the market well enough to know that
    only 20% of gamers want something more than the constant wave of
    mediocrity that's been plaguing the industry for the past few
    years....or maybe you just pulled that out of your ass. Even if that
    number were accurate, for one game to have 20% of the market would be
    astoundingly successful considering that 20% has nothing else of this
    game's eleged magnitude to turn to. By the way, if you're so positive
    this game will be just like the rest, why the hell are you even here?
    Why do you care anything about the game at all? As for me, I'm here
    because the people at Sigil have promised to push the envelope, to offer
    gamers a true challenge and an immersive world, and they have proven in
    the past that they are capable of doing so. I'm here because I'm putting
    my faith in them to break away from the totally average gameplay that
    we've seen for so long. What's your excuse?

"I look forward to skipping over your whiney posts on the
    Vanguard forum site after the game is released and you're disappointed....
    again."

Sorry to disappoint you, but I dont post on the Vanguard site forums.
    You certainly seem to know whiney when you see it though, as you've
    proven to have quite the mastery of it yourself. You say you're not
    bashing people's opinions, but that is, in fact, exactly what you're
    doing.

"If the vanguard team listens to it's forum members, EQ2 might
    not have that much competition... both games will suck."

is very much bashing others' opinions. As I stated before, you're not the end
    all authority on what's fun. Sigil has already stated what their
    intentions are for Vanguard. You dont have to like it, but let those who
    do do so and back off.
  • RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

Frosty, I didn't even bother reading over your post above because it's way too long and probably just a lot of hot air... but

My roomie got in the beta and I took a quick peek (about an hour last night) ... and... maybe you won't be as disappointed as I originally thought.  It looks a little like swg in the very beginning where it was very immersive and very in depth/cerebral. 

I'm more excited now than ever!!!!!  And... the devs might actually give you what you're craving on this one... :)

I'm still not reading your whiney long winded posts though :)  Takes too much time away from my game time :)

No bitchers.