Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[SotA] Typing sentences to the NPCs?

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Not sure if people saw this, or if anyone even cares, but part of the six month update was a bit about how players would be typing sentences or questions to NPCs, and the system would parse out the important stuff and respond appropriately.

Is this something that will effect more immersion in the game, or just be a stupid gimmick? As someone who cut their teeth on the Scott Adams text adventure games and games like Zork, this sounds really cool. Depending of course on how well it's implemented.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• BilgatoBilgato Member UncommonPosts: 24

I think this would be a cool "option" for some but it should be an option for those who want to do it.

I never got into computer games in the early days (not until about 9 years ago) because I have a serious case of dyslexia and my responses wouldn't register, this is a concern of mine with the planned text conversation system.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Love it, want to see more of it. MUD's and text based is half of what made MMO's what they were, yet it seems to be becoming a lost art and it shouldn't as it adds to the immersion and believability and leads to a much higher form of adventure and lore since immersion isn't being broken by static text.

While I question a couple of things about Shroud of Avatar this is one aspect I truly admire.

• BilgatoBilgato Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by Braindome

Love it, want to see more of it. MUD's and text based is half of what made MMO's what they were, yet it seems to be becoming a lost art and it shouldn't as it adds to the immersion and believability and leads to a much higher form of adventure and lore since immersion isn't being broken by static text.

While I question a couple of things about Shroud of Avatar this is one aspect I truly admire.

Hopefully with modern computer technology they will be able to implement a spellchecker or interpertor or something like that.

*An adventurer approaches an NPC merchant-

Adventurer: sell me a soard

NPC Merchant: Did you mean to say "Sell a sword to me?"

Adventurer: yeah, I guess...

NPC Merchant: Did you mean to say "Yes, I guess."

Adventurer: ok...

Someone apparently in the know said that it would be based off of key words so speaking/typing in full sentences would be un necessary . That would be good.

• InsaneMembraneInsaneMembrane Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by Bilgato
    Originally posted by Braindome

Hopefully with modern computer technology they will be able to implement a spellchecker or interpertor or something like that.

*An adventurer approaches an NPC merchant-

Adventurer: sell me a soard

NPC Merchant: Did you mean to say "Sell a sword to me?"

Adventurer: yeah, I guess...

NPC Merchant: Did you mean to say "Yes, I guess."

Adventurer: ok...

Someone apparently in the know said that it would be based off of key words so speaking/typing in full sentences would be un necessary . That would be good.

Yeah, typically the NPCs will lead you to the keywords, they are also usually pretty distinguishable from other words. Bold, dif colour, stuff like that.

Clearly, this wont work for the OPO interaction with other players, and that where normal chat as we know it is obviously going to exist.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    It worked quite will in the old Ultima RPGs.

My computer is better than yours.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Old Ultimas used keywords, so it didn't take in account your whole sentence, only the keyword. If you typed several keywords into one sentence, it only parsed the first one and ignored the rest.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Old Ultimas used keywords, so it didn't take in account your whole sentence, only the keyword. If you typed several keywords into one sentence, it only parsed the first one and ignored the rest.

Yep, and if you look the video, it seems similar here.

My computer is better than yours.