Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adventure group?

13»

Comments

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by paulrgod

OK i spent an hour or so on Vanguard last night... to be honest - it didn't really fill me with joy at the thought of playing it 'properly'.

The world does look pretty impressive - if a little barren and bland.  The quests seemed to be well written and full of lore if a little tedious. The character models are hideous but the worse aspect of this game to me is the combat animations...if theres one thing that draws me out of an immersive game is really poor animation :(

I created 2 characters to try the different racial starting areas - but they both spawned in the same place without another sole in sight.. Decided then to re-roll and try the isle of Dawn - again lifeless, maybe saw 2 -3 people max.  There were the odd shout for party but not a lot seemed to be going on.

Gotta say i'm not 100% sure i'd want to dedicate my time to this....The game hasn't aged well and unfortunately doesn't seem too interesting.

AOC on the other hand - Looks like it could be a real blast to play with some dedication.  Logged in on my main (he's lvl 55) and decided to roam around the world a bit re-familiarising myself with it.  Considering i'd never been able to run the game properly... now thanks to my recent  HD 7970 this game looks incredible - everything maxed on DX10.  Combat animations had some 'oomph' blood splashing everywhere and it seemed like it could be fun.

There seems to be a really active and helpful community - lots of chat and banter in the chat, and a fair few people roaming around the zones i explored.

My main isn't on the PVP server - so i decided to roll a character fresh on there to see how things were - again - plenty of chat and banter going off, there were plenty of people roaming around Tarantia etc so seemed promising.

Cheers

Paul

Could you imagine if we all rolled a pvp server and about 50 people from this forum showed up? OH MAN IT WOULD BE CRAZY.

I can imagine 50 players running together....the gankers would freak out and try to kill every single one of us lol, but if we all fought and could get a fatality on a high level ganker it would be epic, heck the boobies and crimson rivers will be enough to be epic, not to mention there are actually some really fun dungeons in AoC. Hilarity and mass carnage would be sure to ensue and while I can imagine the fun that would to be had I can still give Vanguard a go if it is decided overall (though not many people responding).

• xenoclixxenoclix Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Im up for anything. Ive become casual when starting a family etc and would love to have the chance to join in this idea!

Im up for any game really nowadays. I use to be hard-hardcore, played all MMOs and games in general but have stopped and since became casual.

• paulrgodpaulrgod Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by Braindome

OK i spent an hour or so on Vanguard last night... to be honest - it didn't really fill me with joy at the thought of playing it 'properly'.

The world does look pretty impressive - if a little barren and bland.  The quests seemed to be well written and full of lore if a little tedious. The character models are hideous but the worse aspect of this game to me is the combat animations...if theres one thing that draws me out of an immersive game is really poor animation :(

I created 2 characters to try the different racial starting areas - but they both spawned in the same place without another sole in sight.. Decided then to re-roll and try the isle of Dawn - again lifeless, maybe saw 2 -3 people max.  There were the odd shout for party but not a lot seemed to be going on.

Gotta say i'm not 100% sure i'd want to dedicate my time to this....The game hasn't aged well and unfortunately doesn't seem too interesting.

AOC on the other hand - Looks like it could be a real blast to play with some dedication.  Logged in on my main (he's lvl 55) and decided to roam around the world a bit re-familiarising myself with it.  Considering i'd never been able to run the game properly... now thanks to my recent  HD 7970 this game looks incredible - everything maxed on DX10.  Combat animations had some 'oomph' blood splashing everywhere and it seemed like it could be fun.

There seems to be a really active and helpful community - lots of chat and banter in the chat, and a fair few people roaming around the zones i explored.

My main isn't on the PVP server - so i decided to roll a character fresh on there to see how things were - again - plenty of chat and banter going off, there were plenty of people roaming around Tarantia etc so seemed promising.

Cheers

Paul

Could you imagine if we all rolled a pvp server and about 50 people from this forum showed up? OH MAN IT WOULD BE CRAZY.

I can imagine 50 players running together....the gankers would freak out and try to kill every single one of us lol, but if we all fought and could get a fatality on a high level ganker it would be epic, heck the boobies and crimson rivers will be enough to be epic, not to mention there are actually some really fun dungeons in AoC. Hilarity and mass carnage would be sure to ensue and while I can imagine the fun that would to be had I can still give Vanguard a go if it is decided overall (though not many people responding).

Haha yes This!  I think would be awesome :)

I know Vanguard won the poll but im not 100% sure i can play it - seems pretty painful to play.

Well im on AOC now - Dancing outside Tortage, a lvl 6 Herald of Xotli called 'Esjana' on the Fury PVP server!  Come say hi if you're up for it :)

Hope to see some of you in game!

• KaaxKaax Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I downloaded AOC last night haven't jumped in yet due to waiting to see what the OP says but haven't seen anything from him in a few days. I tried vanguard last and  well I don't think I'll be able to stand playing it.
  • MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    So I guess AoC is the winner then ?
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    might be good to take another poll since several folks found out they couldn't handle Vanguard.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• BK2O1BK2O1 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Is there a voip server for this group? Can someone msg me it or something. I'm interested. 
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Guess I'm the opposite of a lot of people posting.  I would have really enjoyed Vanguard in a group  but I did not like AoC at all when I tried to play it a while ago (well, to be precise, the first area of the game was quite good but then it just turns into a really boring paint by numbers MMO after about lvl 20).

I also really hate open PvP in themepark games.   

• DesirsarDesirsar Member UncommonPosts: 117

I could join you guys, but I'm rarely available in prime time on weekends, as I'm generally scheduled second shift.  As one might guess from my profile and my recently necroed thread in this forum, I've played nearly everything, and should disqualify myself from voting.  I'm willing to retry any game as long as the group is doing "Let's do this thing!" and not "Let's get to max level by yesterday!"

Also, I use every other communication software known to man except for Skype.  As I've done for other small guilds in games, I can forget about $20 every three months for a 25 slot TS3 server (actually, I'd shop around for an even better price, my previous server was limited to being hosted near Manchester, England.)

• schrollbachschrollbach Member UncommonPosts: 72

When I get home from work, I'll go ahead and get a thread started in the AoC forum here so we can get this ball rolling. Expect a thread around 5 to 6 eastern time. I'll post the link here.

Edit: Hey guys, created a thread that can be found at:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/399261/Age-of-Conan-Adventure-Group-UNITE.html

Anyone left over from this idea that isn't rushing to a "let's go gank some noobs!" PvP type gameplay?  I can go to Planetside 2 and get that already.  AoC is still fine for me as a game selection, but I still abstain from an actual vote.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Well im on AOC now - Dancing outside Tortage, a lvl 6 Herald of Xotli called 'Esjana' on the Fury PVP server!  Come say hi if you're up for it :)

Hope to see some of you in game!

I'll be there either tonight or tomorrow night, gotta get through the start quest first, but definitely will on Friday night, made a stygian Necromancer named Vexuiwill.

Would probably be a good idea for anyone interested to pick the same race such as stygian/cimmerian etc...so when done with Tortage you end up in the same city, otherwise you may be alone unless you have unlocked the travel path to other cities or can get an insta-port with veteran points. 

I'll just use some veteran points if you didn't pick stygian though, but i'm sure we will be on Tortage for a while as that place rocks.

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Originally posted by Desirsar
    Anyone left over from this idea that isn't rushing to a "let's go gank some noobs!" PvP type gameplay?  I can go to Planetside 2 and get that already.  AoC is still fine for me as a game selection, but I still abstain from an actual vote.

I'm all for some good pvp but my main interest is really enjoying a game and story with a decent group of people.  Count me in if that's what you have in mind as well.

That's what I was looking for also, but my work schedule will keep me from organizing anything.  My participation will be "crap, I can't play then, I hope someone is still online later or I'll try to find groups on my own and keep up."  That's the whole point of my six year ongoing thread in this forum, I can't find a game where people are grouping at all levels unless the game is brand new, and I won't play a brand new game unless I'm sure I like its mechanics.  (MMOs before 2002 or so got a free pass because no one really knew what they wanted in an MMO yet...)
    yeah I like pvp at times but not interested in a gankfest, and I only get 2-3 hours play time a few times a week so I'm with you in not wanting to just blast through content to gank noobs. I'm just looking to escape reality for a dozen hours a week.
  • MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Another option is Rift, I think we should take 1 more poll and be decided before the weekend starts.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Makidian
    Another option is Rift, I think we should take 1 more poll and be decided before the weekend starts.

i think a poll should be taken, perhaps in another thread entitled "Adventure Group [non-pvp}" to help distinguish it from this one.

not that folks are all opposed to any pvp, but it would make telling the groups apart easier.

i suggest this as it seems there's a happy bunch already in AoC and it would seem to be counterproductive to poll in the hopes of even that group back pedaling.

just some thoughts.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• paulrgodpaulrgod Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by Kaax
    yeah I like pvp at times but not interested in a gankfest, and I only get 2-3 hours play time a few times a week so I'm with you in not wanting to just blast through content to gank noobs. I'm just looking to escape reality for a dozen hours a week.

I think you misunderstood the comments earlier.

We're not in any rush to go Gank noobs - the post mentioned that if someone was to come and Gank us they'd be more than surprised that we have a group together to fight back with!  I think the vast majority of people here wanted some pvp action.  I really think they'll get it on here!

The idea is that we'd all play together and enjoy the game at a normal pace together.  Not to rush through and become top level as quick as possible...

Unfortunately i've yet to meet anyone in game from here - i might dance outside Tortage again for a bit later - if anyone wants to come find me!  Esjana on Fury

Thanks for the clarification, tho it wasn't comments from this thread. My thoughts seems to align with yours mostly
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639

I created a second, PVE centric poll for anyone interested.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6059581/thread/399333#6059581

I think you misunderstood the comments earlier.

We're not in any rush to go Gank noobs - the post mentioned that if someone was to come and Gank us they'd be more than surprised that we have a group together to fight back with!

We were referring to the posts in the thread in the AoC forum.

Also, I'm not looking at the other thread, and not interested if the poll is done there.  The majority looking for this appeared to be the PvE type, the PvPers can start their own thread instead.  If not, I'll keep looking on my own.